Thai Migrants

johna

There has been a lot of letters to the editor in the Nation on the subject of farangs

living in Thailand and there pet hates,which seem to generate letters from Thais who in the main regard farang as unwelcome guests who should not criticize Thailand at all. Mrs. Benjawan Poomsan Becker aThai writer who lives in America, in her book" Thai for Advanced Readers"Quote "According to Sereechai Newspaper, in January 1999 an unofficial survey estimates that there are about one million people of Thai ancestory in America at the present time. One forth of them have changed their citizenship to be American. One forth are green card holders and the rest are students and illegal immigrants" end quote.In view of all the problems farangs have here with immigration etc, I am curious to know several things, how many farangs live in Thailand, how many Thais live in Europe, Australia,Canada etc. If I remember correctly last year an artical in the Nation said there were 15000 German/Swiss nationals married and living in Isarn

each of them must have a Bank account of 400000 Baht a total of 150 000 000

million US dollars. It would be interesting to know how much money the Thai government has a locked up in this requirment and how much does the average

farang bring into the country.

i have a more updated version but not in english:

Migrant workers in Israel

Data according to Kav LaOved, last updated on April, 2002

A. Division According to sectors and geographic origin- Workers with a Permit

Agriculture

Thailand, [/color]including a small number of women, China

Construction

Romania, former USSR, China, Turkey, Bulgaria, Thailand

Industry

Romania, Former USSR, South America

Care-giving

The Philippines, Romania, Sri Lanka, India, Bulgaria

Service Industry, Restaurants

The Philippines, China, Thailand

Hotel (mostly in Eilat)

Africa, Former USSR

B. The origin of workers without permits:

Romania, Philippines, India, Sri-Lanka, Burma, Bulgaria, Hungary, Poland, former USSR, South America, Africa, Jordan, China, Turkey, Thailand.

numbers have changed considerably will translate to update:

these are all workers. there are several thai women living here, not sure how many, and i think one thai man , as permanent residents (spouses of...)

Edited by bina

my own unscientific observations are that there are many Thais in the U.S., but interestingly they seemed very dispersed. I know there are more in Los Angeles and Southern California (same with Koreas, Japanese, etc) but I have not seen a "Little Bangkok" where most of the people are Thai. I have seen plenty of Korean, Vietnamese and Chinese neighborhoods, but not a single one that could be considered a Thai neighborhood. Not sure why...I did read once that a town in New York state had the highest concentration of Thais, but I can't remember the name.

Yes, especially in Northern Europe. And of course, destinations to Arab countries are pretty much exclusively for sex work. There is a relatively new book out on the transnational migration of Thai women.

Yes, especially in Northern Europe.  And of course, destinations to Arab countries are pretty much exclusively for sex work.  There is a relatively new book out on the transnational migration of Thai women.

Ok, I'll clarify.

Guy meets gal in bar, marry and brings bride to farangland.

Some go back to school or/and have succesfull mariages and lives, others will continue their trade anywhere.....

I meant no disrespect to anyone, good and bad people everywhere.

I met a couple, he Belgian, she ex-barworker, he adopted her 3 girls too, all 3 went here to university and have successful careers, lots of respect for mom and dad.

just my 2 satang

well israel must have the only population of thai men then (and mostly issan); the sex workers here are from russia et al. There are almost no thai women here. Lots of filapino women, migrant workers and married to israelis.

According to the 2002 UK Census there were 16,256 people of Thai origin in the UK (i.e. born in Thailand) of which 4,526 were male (28%) and 11,730 (72%) were female. These figures include students and others resident in the UK but do not include children with British citizenship born to Thai nationals and tourist. It seems that the statistic are mostly based on information from UK Immigration statistics.

But in my own experience, everytime I goes to London, I always see Thai people somewhere somehow. (even one as a taxi driver). I used to live in University area in big UK city and there are 100s of Thai students and lots of Thais who work in Thai restaurants. I am now move away to small town in the outskirt of the city, still have 1 Thai restaurant which own by an Indian man who married Thai. And considering it is a small town, within a month of moving here, I've met 4-5 Thai ladies (by accident, such as in car boot sale, market, shopping centre) and I know there are many more here as one of them invite me to her party which seem a lot of Thais will be there, and one of them just gossipping about the others and I don't even know them! It is nice of them though, thinking I was new here so they offer their hospitality but actually I am in UK for over 6 years. :o

Edited by TK_onboard