Thailand 'elite' Program In Tatters

george

I think the Elite Card was only one part of a 'plan' , Thaksin's plan. He was trying to modernize Thailand. I was surprised on my first visit in 2003/2004 how, relatively, advanced internet service was.

In 2004 I knew nothing about Thailand and, after 5 years, now know less, BUT I did predict his downfall, back then, when he did his, [was it his 2nd round?] early bar girl closures.

Wasn't that around the time the 'dancers' had to wear some kind of clothing.

Maybe my prediction was a 'fluke', but I heard rumblings of the sex industry nabobs turning on him fiercely for cutting into 'their' livelihood.

I liked the idea of moving away from "Thailand as the Disneyland of Sex", but was saying, in 2004, he should go slow, even do a study on legalization.

Don't 'assume' I am a supporter of Thaksin. That suggetion is NOT in Post; but the usual goofs will go OFF that way.

Back in 2004, there were already rumors of his conflict of interests with his company, but I, somehow, thought that was 'normal' for Thailand.

Thailand DOES have all the 'potential', if the political turmoil ever settled out, which I doubt it ever will, to become a higher class tourist destination.

Fair Trade should be geared into to International Travelling.

While I have passed through Soi Cowboy a few times and never gone in a girly bar, or used the 'services'; I think it should all be legalised, though some say Denmark is moving away from that experiment!?

The, present, openly illegal, world famous situation is just plain stupid.

If there was stabilty and high quality, good location tourist areas, without a hooker scene on the main streets, it my opinion they would get more 'family' customers.

This will NOT happen, but the Elite Card was 'part' of that kind of 'dream'.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder why nobody here talks about the real point of the elite card..... At the beginning it was introduced, that every member could buy 1 Rai of land with house on his personal foreign name as freehold..... if this would have happened without restrictions I am sure they would have sold much much more cards! Why not use the bad times now, reinstall the old idea, and sell houses and land to foreigners like Malaysia's Home away from home program. This would make life so much easier for so many here, and the Elite system would survive and work! Cut the golf, limo and spa crap and go for the real stuff that everybody wants: House, land and Visa ![/size]

I agree with this post. The idiots running this are as usual looking at the problem from the wrong perspective. Seems the problem is not enough were sold to finance it's supposed benefits. So they either cancel it and lose face, continue to do nothing and lose money, or actually fix it so they can sell enough cards for it to finance itself.

They could keep the original card as is, and then offer secondary cards to pull in the money to finance the whole thing. Without being able to crunch the numbers it seems obvious to sell people what they actually want. Perhaps a Level 2 Card at say 500k that allows purchase of 1 rai of land (sort out the legals via special legislation) in certain areas only plus a renewable 5 year, no reporting visa. Then offer a Level 3 Card at say 100k that allows only the 5 year no reporting visa. The top level card has these benefits added to it for free as an apology. All cards have "sawatdis" in abundance when going through airports.

Need more, add a special hot line to call if ever in trouble with the police to contact a person with the authority to sort out the problem fairly and quickly, not dodging the law, just guaranteeing impartiality.

Mind you it will never happen, overly beaurocratic systems like Thailand are incapable of taking decisive action. Will probably send it to another junket committee to think about for a few more years.

There seems to be a basic misunderstanding; the people running this scheme are not idiots, quite the contrary they are laughing all the way to the bank. The people who ran / run this scheme are doing very well thank you, but they have no intention / desire to make the business work - they solely want to suck it dry...

In this country you cannot buy land. Period. Remember, the man behind this scheme ran a party called Thai love Thai, remember the national anthem - Thailand is for Thais... Anyone with the slightest knowledge of this contry knows that this mentality will not change anytime soon.

Oh my word! I'm having trouble typing for laughing so much! One in the eye for egotistical "look at me and my wealth everybody" people. I feel for ya guys! A fool and his money etc etc. I absolutely love this country to bits. AMAZING THAILAND! Plus I don't need a discount to play golf, I can afford to. :):D

My suggestion for a new buisiness plan for TPC: Offer the 5 year renewable visa for a lifetime for lets say 100.000 Bath without any other services and I'm sure it would sell. I would buy one rightaway.

Many Thaivisa Forim folks are correct about the demise of Privi Card program. Simply put for those of us blessed wiith a simple language. A plan devised during a high economic upturn is cursed to fail on the downturn. Secondly, enpregnat with corruption and the only outcome is Total Failure.

"People who hold these cards seldom want to be seen to ask for a rebate by flashing the card, they will be far more interested in beating red tape."

Your post has no relation to reality - you should have read the story. Only 200 (out of 2500+/-) members used the 5-year visa scheme.

i agree with groucho marx:

i would never join a club that would have someone like me

for a member

I agree these are the rich and greedy, to bad they did not get more to take their money.

Feel Sorry for them HE-LL NO

It always makes so much sense to condemn the wealthy for being wealthy. Why not go work for a poor person - oh, wait a minute - poor people don't hire people to work for them. Some poor just complain about the success of the wealthy. Really stupid!

Your post has no relation to reality - you should have read the story. Only 200 (out of 2500+/-) members used the 5-year visa scheme.

I suspect it is actually YOUR post which has no relation to reality. You should not believe everything you read :)

for a member

I agree these are the rich and greedy, to bad they did not get more to take their money.

It always makes so much sense to condemn the wealthy for being wealthy. Why not go work for a poor person - oh, wait a minute - poor people don't hire people to work for them. Some poor just complain about the success of the wealthy. Really stupid!

You are, of course entitled to your opinion, but I believe it's the 'I'm better then you scum because I have a lot of money' attitude that comes from some wealthy people that causes the poor folk to 'ave a dig at them. IMO. See my prvious post (#65), I'm still laughing dude.

Edited by beerchang

If there is one thing that could unite the red shirts and yellow shirts it would be if this government came up with a plan to sell land to foreigners. It will not, in any shape or form, including anything to do with the Elite Card, happen. So stop dreaming. Right now the governments best bet would probably be to eat 2,500 x 1,000,000 baht and refund the money. It's good PR, they can blame the failure on the deposed PM and his cronies, ends any threat of lawsuits. Then send in some bulldogs to investigate where all this money went and try and get some back, including from the brains behind it all. BTW, where are all the "I love Takky" voices on this one? Brilliant businessman, loves Thailand and the poor Thai people, and all that.. :)

Edited by Netfan

I don't understand how they could think you could sell a lifetime worth of services for a one time fee and be profitable. At least they were smart enough to put the clause on being able to change and/or discontinue services.

for a member

You are, of course entitled to your opinion, but I believe it's the 'I'm better then you scum because I have a lot of money' attitude that comes from some wealthy people that causes the poor folk to 'ave a dig at them. IMO. See my prvious post (#65), I'm still laughing dude.

Some, not all. Arrogance is one of the most unattractive characteristics. I've run into it in my profession. It's nauseating. But not everyone who is wealthy, or a professional, is arrogant. Envy is also an unattractive characteristic, but I would never say that all poor are envious. That would be ignorant, wouldn't it?

Edited by venturalaw

I'll leave up to the people with a background in economics and decent math skills to decide whether or not the card could have succeded.

I do, however, believe it was a part of a Thaksin Grand Plan regarding tourism. He was hel_l bent on getting rid of the backpackers--at least in large numbers. He was trying to entice the upper end tourists. To that end, lots of things needed to change, and he was in the process of changing them.

As he went about setting up his dynasty, he made one crucial mistake. He forgot that he could get ousted.

Now the current gov't has the plan of making it difficult for long-stayers on tourist visa, but no plan to replace them with higher end tourists.

Bit of a problem for all concerned.

Why not use the bad times now, reinstall the old idea, and sell houses and land to foreigners like Malaysia's Home away from home program. This would make life so much easier for so many here, and the Elite system would survive and work!

Perhaps because Thailand does not now nor ever has had any interest in selling even one square waa of its land to foreigners.

It is their mind set; Thai's believe that they are loosing their land to farang's. They cannot see the financial gain's for their own people and seem to want to remain an insular country!

The government will continue to pass law's that bite the hand's that feed them until everyone has moved to Malaya, I wouldn't be suprised if Burma offer's land to falang's before Thailand.

I like the ideas Chunkton put forward above...even better than my blanket buy a home and get a visa approach. Offering different tiers with different elements and prices as he suggested would even work better. And I really like the additional element listed below. Having something like that, as opposed to the Tourist Police, would be a blessed relief..if the did it right....

Those are things I and others would pay for...

Need more, add a special hot line to call if ever in trouble with the police to contact a person with the authority to sort out the problem fairly and quickly, not dodging the law, just guaranteeing impartiality.

Seems the elite card is easy to fix

Change the name to "Faramnfg Card"

Pay $1000 US for a 5 year visa. renewable at its expiry

I would buy shares in this company as it would be flooded with applicant and very little over heads

Some golf courses were paid as much as 20 million baht in advance ?

Might we find the name "Alpine" among them ? And how many times ?

I forgot to mention Thaksin was president of the Thai Golf Association and no doubt has lots of buddies who own golf courses.

"Conflict of interest" must have a different meaning in Thailand to other countries.

I remember when this "Elite program" was introduced.

Many many people (including members of this forum) voiced their strong concern that this "scheme" might backfire one day!

The time has come the money has gone! TiT !!!

[/quote Its seems everything in Thailand backfires sooner or later.... :)

I'll leave up to the people with a background in economics and decent math skills to decide whether or not the card could have succeded.

I do, however, believe it was a part of a Thaksin Grand Plan regarding tourism. He was hel_l bent on getting rid of the backpackers--at least in large numbers. He was trying to entice the upper end tourists. To that end, lots of things needed to change, and he was in the process of changing them.

As he went about setting up his dynasty, he made one crucial mistake. He forgot that he could get ousted.

Now the current gov't has the plan of making it difficult for long-stayers on tourist visa, but no plan to replace them with higher end tourists.

Bit of a problem for all concerned.

The Elite scheme was simply a nice way to easily skim money. From the 150m baht ad campaign money that went missing, to the kids of the rich TRT elite who worked for the scheme; from the golf courses and service coincidentally owned by TRT families now virtually gauranteed a customer base, to the ability to give away 1m baht memberships to key decision makers such as media magnates, friends, colleagues and PR consultants.

If anyone ever wanted to know how TRT worked, take a good look at this scheme.

Every single initiative of TRT BAR NONE worked this exact same way. Great short term, possibly even decent long term benefits if done right...but none of the initiatives were done to be done right, just done to skim.

Oh my word! I'm having trouble typing for laughing so much! One in the eye for egotistical "look at me and my wealth everybody" people. I feel for ya guys! A fool and his money etc etc. I absolutely love this country to bits. AMAZING THAILAND! Plus I don't need a discount to play golf, I can afford to. :):D

Within the above nose thumbing lies much of the truth in why this plan failed. The "wealthy elite" who were targeted as the main market don't have trouble buying influence as it is and therefor don't need a card. They can also afford the green fees, as its often a write off anyway, and they aren't the least bit impressed by a BMW.

They also didn't get wealthy by not being able to spot a scam.

I suspect it is actually YOUR post which has no relation to reality. You should not believe everything you read :)

The article states that only 200 people applied for RENEWAL of the 5 year visa which suggests they previously had the 5 year visa so I assume these are the people who joined in the first year as the people who joined after this would not need to renew yet. The article also states that 139 memberships were sold in the first year which seems to contradict an earlier statement that 400 were sold in the first 4 months.

Edited by Orac

as someone who works and runs a business in thailand and as for many members and thai visa predicted this was never going to work. If I can make money from providing value to my customers, without resorting to banana republic tactics I'll do fine and even now I'm doing fine. I can't possible understand why try to aim for only high class customers there a very small majority market. I'm all about customers of every end, I've even given a good deal to the back packer all the way to the upper class. I swear thailand is just silly. The back packer of today could easily be the middle to upper class customer in the future.

for a member

I couldn't agree more with your comment venturalaw. There's nothing worse than a bitter little person who laughs at others misfortune because they have failed miserably in their own life. Personally, I feel that people were slightly foolish to invest in such a scheme. IMO how could anyone put such trust in Thai authorities with goalposts constantly moving?

However, I fail to see how investing money u can afford to gain extra convenience is greedy. What u spend is relative to what u earn. Does that mean that when I fly Business class for extra comfort I am being greedy? If I stay in a five star hotel rather than a Khaosarn Road doss-house, does that make me greedy too?

What a nasty little mind some people have.

If it does close, it risks having to pay back 2.5 billion baht to present members and the prospects of lawsuits if it cannot fulfil its commitments.

Let's hope so.

Are you kidding ??

1) they will not refund membership fees, and

2) have you ever taken anything to court in Thailand,

If you are gonna seek a court decision to order a refund most will be dead and buried before it ever come about.

The money has gone.