Not In Thailand But C Some Serious Money To Be Made

I'll bet on Black Water getting the contract, no living expenses to speak of tax free up to 85 K a year. Time off will be hard to get. Research who was working in Iraq and Kuwait probably the same contractors Not easy work believe me. But darn good money a there are no expenses and you can rat hole a ton of money in a year,

WASHINGTON – U.S. military authorities in Afghanistan may hire a private contractor to provide around-the-clock security at dozens of bases and protect vehicle convoys moving throughout the country.

The possibility of awarding a security contract comes as the Obama administration is sending thousands of more troops into Afghanistan to quell rising violence fueled by a resurgent Taliban. As the number of American forces grow over the next several months, so too does the demand to guard their outposts.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates has said he wants to cut back on the use of contractors that now provide a wide range services to American troops in war zones, including transportation, communications, food service, construction, and maintenance. As recently as February, however, Gates called the use of private security contractors in certain parts of Afghanistan "vital" to supporting U.S. bases. A contract for the work also creates job opportunities for Afghans, he said.

But the use of private contractors in Iraq has been highly contentious. Since a September 2007 shooting of Iraqi civilians in Baghdad by guards employed by Blackwater (now Xe Services), critics have urged U.S. officials to maintain much tighter controls over hired guards.

The Washington Post reported Saturday that the Army published a notice July 10 informing interested contractors it was contemplating a contract for "theater-wide" armed security.

"The contract would provide for a variety of security services, to include the static security of compounds on which U.S. and coalition forces reside, and for the protection of mission essential convoys in and around forward operating bases located throughout Afghanistan," the notice states.

No formal request for proposals has been issued. If the military decides to move ahead, a contract could be awarded by Dec. 1.

I only put it up because the economy's bad and people want work I've done it, not easy at all. It pays good for reasons so think it through you got the right background and training it's there. I know their were companies out of the UK in Iraq and Kuwait as well.

Me I done no thanks got that Tee shirt.

For those looking for something a little easier !...i have 3 friends gone to holland painting and decorating. free on site accomadtion, 300 euros a day tax free, no experience nessesary,. do as many days as you like with a 4.5 day minimum,

For those looking for something a little easier !...i have 3 friends gone to holland painting and decorating. free on site accomadtion, 300 euros a day tax free, no experience nessesary,. do as many days as you like with a 4.5 day minimum,

Brings back memories of 'auf wiedersehen pet'.

Regards bojo

Brings back memories of 'auf wiedersehen pet'.

Regards bojo

i could do with a laugh, im off,........ :)

I'll bet on Black Water getting the contract, no living expenses to speak of tax free up to 85 K a year.

85k a year tax free is not a great deal of money for risking your life, even with "room and board" included..

..Go and see what some of the Offshore Oil and Gas "monkeys" earn, and I can tell you 95% of the guys I know, and I include myself, would not get out of bed for 85k/year tax free... :)

I'll bet on Black Water getting the contract, no living expenses to speak of tax free up to 85 K a year.

85k a year tax free is not a great deal of money for risking your life, even with "room and board" included..

..Go and see what some of the Offshore Oil and Gas "monkeys" earn, and I can tell you 95% of the guys I know, and I include myself, would not get out of bed for 85k/year tax free... :)

I understand your point. But, it's not necessarily that they would be earning only 85K per year, that would be just the tax excluded amount. They could very well be earning a good deal more than that.

I'll do it! where do I sign up?? Alternatively I wouldn't mind the Holland thing for a bit either and even have most of my own tools, how do I inquire about that? Whats required? Is transport and resettling included?

I understand your point. But, it's not necessarily that they would be earning only 85K per year, that would be just the tax excluded amount. They could very well be earning a good deal more than that.

I remember seeing a report on CNN ? about the expat truck drivers in Iraq and the number 85k/year was mentioned as well, so guessing the number is about right, could this number be mentioned because the magic threshold for US citizens working outside the US "tax free" is 80k/year....therefore they would only be taxed on 5k a year in the US.....just a thought...

I'll do it! where do I sign up?? Alternatively I wouldn't mind the Holland thing for a bit either and even have most of my own tools, how do I inquire about that? Whats required? Is transport and resettling included?

Unless you have a military background preferably special forces types....SAS, Seals etc...you will not get a look in on a private security gig....this sh*t is not being a security guard at TESCO's..... :)

I remember seeing a report on CNN ? about the expat truck drivers in Iraq and the number 85k/year was mentioned as well, so guessing the number is about right, could this number be mentioned because the magic threshold for US citizens working outside the US "tax free" is 80k/year....therefore they would only be taxed on 5k a year in the US.....just a thought...

Actually for 352 days per year off shore your deductible is 90K per year..

Unless you have a military background preferably special forces types....SAS, Seals etc...you will not get a look in on a private security gig....this sh*t is not being a security guard at TESCO's..... :D

I knew that, :):D but not all positions require that sort of background either, there are many positions that are general in terms of specific skills not all are potential combat positions as noted above.

there are many positions that are general in terms of specific skills not all are potential combat positions as noted above.

Like what for example ?.....Blackwater is a "security" company, ie they give you a weapon to shoot at people if they get too close...

Also love your phrase "that are general in terms of specific skills"...lots of words which sound impressive and mean absolutely nothing...forget about becoming a renta-cop in Iraq, you should become a speech writer for a politician...writing impressvie sounding drivel like that... :)

First off, there aren't that many SF and SAS guys to go around so prior military experience (preferably sometime recent) would open up a lot of possibilities. Plus you have to look at the alternatives. Sure, some oil rig monkey who clears $100K a year to work in Saudi Arabia isn't going to get out of bed for that kind of money but think about some twenty-something year old kid who just served two tours in Iraq, has seen shitloads of combat, and got is sorry butt out of the army and is back home in the US with 9.5% unemployment staring down the barrel of a $30,000 a year job. hel_l, even that's a step up for him since he was only making $22,000 when he was in the service. But it don't pay the bills and put food on the table. What exactly is your marketable skill when you took the huge signup bonus and went infantry? You're qualified for construction work or some other form of physical labor . . . oh, except the housing boom is kaput and nobody is building houses anymore.

Plus not everybody is a complete pussy. :-) Sorry for being so blunt there but shave 20 years off my current age and I might do it. I did a military tour in my teens and volunteered for several hot (high potential for combat) assignments. When you train to be a soldier it's like brainwashing. For some people it turns them into adrenaline junkies. You go do a tour in Iraq or Afghanistan and then go home and you feel totally disconnected. People don't understand what you've been through. They can't comprehend what you've seen. So you feel like nobody really understands you . . . except for your old army buddies and other vets. So the chance to make $85K a year and be back around people who "get it" might have some allure.

And as has been pointed out, there are tons of other jobs too. Everything from cooks to PX store employees. When you say "military contractor" everybody conjures up these images of Black Water dudes but the vast, vast majority are sitting way behind the walls of the green zone and seldom see anything even close to resembling danger.

Plus not everybody is a complete pussy. :-) Sorry for being so blunt there but shave 20 years off my current age and I might do it. I did a military tour in my teens and volunteered for several hot (high potential for combat) assignments. When you train to be a soldier it's like brainwashing. For some people it turns them into adrenaline junkies. You go do a tour in Iraq or Afghanistan and then go home and you feel totally disconnected. People don't understand what you've been through. They can't comprehend what you've seen. So you feel like nobody really understands you . . . except for your old army buddies and other vets. So the chance to make $85K a year and be back around people who "get it" might have some allure.

Well actually I did my military stint in a war zone many years ago, so been there see that and got the T-shirt....oh so brave of you..."If I was 20 years younger".... :) , another keyboard warrior

there are many positions that are general in terms of specific skills not all are potential combat positions as noted above.

Like what for example ?.....Blackwater is a "security" company, ie they give you a weapon to shoot at people if they get too close...

Also love your phrase "that are general in terms of specific skills"...lots of words which sound impressive and mean absolutely nothing...forget about becoming a renta-cop in Iraq, you should become a speech writer for a politician...writing impressvie sounding drivel like that... :D

Well thank you for your review of my writing style I guess that must make you a pre-eminent editor then?? So no need for you to take up any jobs there as you seem to be well at home in your TEFLR's position here.. :D:D

Blackwater (which is no longer called that as it's Xe now) is only one contractor in which their primary service is security, there are multitudes of other contractors I.E. Halliburton which also provide numerous services including even food preparation and supply deliveries and since the primary purpose of the contractors required is due to the number of bases being opened and widely distributed it stands to reason that those services are also going to be required.. is that more understandable for you?? :)

And as has been pointed out, there are tons of other jobs too. Everything from cooks to PX store employees. When you say "military contractor" everybody conjures up these images of Black Water dudes but the vast, vast majority are sitting way behind the walls of the green zone and seldom see anything even close to resembling danger.

Exactly! They have to eat and drink their beer while they're working their security details and where will that come from?? :D:D As the story indicates they would also be creating jobs for Afghani's, are they going to be manning the security gates of the fort?? :)

I'd also like to know how this smug crack pot jumped to so many conclusions about my past life experience in the first place without the first clue about me??

Blackwater (which is no longer called that as it's Xe now) is only one contractor in which their primary service is security, there are multitudes of other contractors I.E. Halliburton which also provide numerous services including even food preparation and supply deliveries and since the primary purpose of the contractors required is due to the number of bases being opened and widely distributed it stands to reason that those services are also going to be required.. is that more understandable for you?? :)

You are correct but the topic of this thread is about Blackwater or Xe if you prefer, dicussion was not about Halliburton... :D

Glad you appriciate my editoral skills, never know might make an "English teacher" one day.... :D ..but until that day comes, think I will stick with oil and gas

Edited by Soutpeel

I'd also like to know how this smug crack pot jumped to so many conclusions about my past life experience in the first place without the first clue about me??

Show me where I jumped to conclusions about your past life experience....let me guess you were SAS or CIA and you are on a mission in Thailand ??... :)

Edited by Soutpeel

You are correct but the topic of this thread is about Blackwater or Xe if you prefer, dicussion was not about Halliburton... :D

Glad you appriciate my editoral skills, never know might make an "English teacher" one day.... :D ..but until that day comes, think I will stick with oil and gas

Actually the OP is about "contractors" in Afghanistan it just so happens that Blackwater was mentioned but it is not exclusive, as no contracts have even been issued yet..it was a call for contractors to bid for upcoming services without specifics..

Show me where I jumped to conclusions about your past life experience....let me guess you were SAS or CIA and you are on a mission in Thailand ??... :)

well if I was you wouldn't know about it.. :D Could it be because you made an arrogant, smug and patronizing remark about TESCO security guards?? Never occurred to you that maybe someone could be slightly past their prime in terms of active military but still has plenty of experience and a significant expertise to call upon in that area to be eminently qualified to fill other positions in that scope??..Not everyone is still 20 somethings to be effective nor do they need to be..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Show me where I jumped to conclusions about your past life experience....let me guess you were SAS or CIA and you are on a mission in Thailand ??... :D

well if I was you wouldn't know about it.. :D Could it be because you made an arrogant, smug and patronizing remark about TESCO security guards??

Hit a nerve have I ??...let me guess not SAS or CIA....surely not one of TESCO's finest ??... :)...I shudder in my boots

On that note think I will bid one and all a very good night..tot siens..lekker slaap... :D

Edited by Soutpeel

Show me where I jumped to conclusions about your past life experience....let me guess you were SAS or CIA and you are on a mission in Thailand ??... :D

well if I was you wouldn't know about it.. :D Could it be because you made an arrogant, smug and patronizing remark about TESCO security guards??

Hit a nerve have I ??...let me guess not SAS or CIA....surely not one of TESCO's finest ??... :)

On that note think I will bid one and all a very good night..tot siens..lekker slaap... :D

I see.....Being evasive is somehow capitulating?? Well good for you, you win then, you should be an interrogator with such insight.. Have a good nights sleep in the feeling that your so omnipotent..

Well actually I did my military stint in a war zone many years ago, so been there see that and got the T-shirt....oh so brave of you..."If I was 20 years younger".... :) , another keyboard warrior

It's actually not keyboard warrior at all. I'm past the max age to do a tour in the military (technically, I could have done my 20 years and be retired military by now) so employment prospects for me would be pretty slim. So all I can do is speculate what I might be willing to do. And at that age, at that time in my life, I would been all for it. Especially if I would have served a combat tour making peanuts and been offered to do the same thing as I had already done but for 3x the money.

To be honest, I'm not a macho guy at all. And I didn't say any of this to sound macho. But not everybody views serving in a war zone something that you should try to avoid at all costs. I was responding to those who saying that the chance of getting shot didn't make any amount of money worth it. I'm just trying to convey the mindset of a lot of other people who are still young enough to go do the job and the way I felt when I was their age.

It's actually not keyboard warrior at all. I'm past the max age to do a tour in the military (technically, I could have done my 20 years and be retired military by now) so employment prospects for me would be pretty slim. So all I can do is speculate what I might be willing to do. And at that age, at that time in my life, I would been all for it. Especially if I would have served a combat tour making peanuts and been offered to do the same thing as I had already done but for 3x the money.

To be honest, I'm not a macho guy at all. And I didn't say any of this to sound macho. But not everybody views serving in a war zone something that you should try to avoid at all costs. I was responding to those who saying that the chance of getting shot didn't make any amount of money worth it. I'm just trying to convey the mindset of a lot of other people who are still young enough to go do the job and the way I felt when I was their age.

A few years ago, a New Zealand production company did one of those 'week in the life of' shows about a former Kiwi SAS retiree who was working for the then Blackwater company. This guy was in the front lines, so to speak, riding shotgun and running convoys that drove VIPs around. Yeah, he made a boatload of money, enough to buy a decent house back in NZ outright after two tours. But living in the green zone is no guarantee of safety - their compound was hit with a rocket while the camera crew was there. And one of his Kiwi buddies bought in when the armored car he was riding in was blown up. Sure, they had to have meals, and the bottle of beer or two after a shift. But they made way more than the minimum that Blackwater was paying, because of their many skills.

I'll bet on Black Water getting the contract, no living expenses to speak of tax free up to 85 K a year. Time off will be hard to get. Research who was working in Iraq and Kuwait probably the same contractors Not easy work believe me. But darn good money a there are no expenses and you can rat hole a ton of money in a year,

WASHINGTON – U.S. military authorities in Afghanistan may hire a private contractor to provide around-the-clock security at dozens of bases and protect vehicle convoys moving throughout the country.

The possibility of awarding a security contract comes as the Obama administration is sending thousands of more troops into Afghanistan to quell rising violence fueled by a resurgent Taliban. As the number of American forces grow over the next several months, so too does the demand to guard their outposts.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates has said he wants to cut back on the use of contractors that now provide a wide range services to American troops in war zones, including transportation, communications, food service, construction, and maintenance. As recently as February, however, Gates called the use of private security contractors in certain parts of Afghanistan "vital" to supporting U.S. bases. A contract for the work also creates job opportunities for Afghans, he said.

But the use of private contractors in Iraq has been highly contentious. Since a September 2007 shooting of Iraqi civilians in Baghdad by guards employed by Blackwater (now Xe Services), critics have urged U.S. officials to maintain much tighter controls over hired guards.

The Washington Post reported Saturday that the Army published a notice July 10 informing interested contractors it was contemplating a contract for "theater-wide" armed security.

"The contract would provide for a variety of security services, to include the static security of compounds on which U.S. and coalition forces reside, and for the protection of mission essential convoys in and around forward operating bases located throughout Afghanistan," the notice states.

No formal request for proposals has been issued. If the military decides to move ahead, a contract could be awarded by Dec. 1.

Way ahead of all of you......for better or worst.

well the truth is there are thousands of job avalible here in Afgahnistan that pay anywere from 60 thou- 240thou depending on your job set. anything that requires a clearance makes 120 thou and up but there are alot of jobs from food service to high tech jobs. and the overseas tax is on 91 thou this yr. i have been here for three and a half yrs and yes some places are more hostile than others heck a 105mm rocket landed about 100 ft from were i work yesterday thank god for the hescos. The major contract winners here is Fluor and Dynacorp all have web sites and job postings. and as for age i have a 65 yr old working for me and some 20 somethings with no prior milatary experiance. Granted this is not for everyone but if u want to make some good money this might be for you. and 99% of the contractors never leave the Base we call them fobbits here.

Seriously guys there are people that need work got any leads you not going to do yourself why not post them. We have seen three so farm security, oil rigs but you really need to know someone to get that and painting (maybe)

Dose not hurt to make things available.

Guys are right there are more dangerous jobs then others. The jobs will come and when things get active there are going to be a lot of applications, getting ahead of the game in research might just pay off.

Doing the perimeter work is tough My work was deep inside the base keeping the army from stealing from the army. So there are other things as ewll just as many have mentioned. If they sit repair facility and I'm willing to bet hey will mechanics ect will be used.

The idea these days is no military in the rear with the gear. So lots of opportunities depending on who gets what contract I betting Black water are whatever they are called these days is simply because he people who own it.

There weer lots of contractors in Iraq and Kuwiat if you need to work sometime you simply have to do what you have to do until better things come along. I'm out of the loop now, so I really have no idea is gong to be going on. But I do know omething will be there. If a company gets a contract doing anything they have to provide their own security. So there will be lots of diffferent jobs out there.

I didn't make any Rambo statements it's simply a place to find work if you need it and right now there are a lot of people in situation.

Won't get out of bed for less then a 100K you must still be working count your blessing cause I can assure you that when I was raising a family I got out of bed for heck of a lot less then that. When the need was there today the need is there for a lot of people,

"well the truth is there are thousands of job avalible here in Afgahnistan that pay anywere from 60 thou- 240thou depending on your job set. anything that requires a clearance makes 120 thou and up but there are alot of jobs from food service to high tech jobs. and the overseas tax is on 91 thou this yr. i have been here for three and a half yrs and yes some places are more hostile than others heck a 105mm rocket landed about 100 ft from were i work yesterday thank god for the hescos. The major contract winners here is Fluor and Dynacorp all have web sites and job postings. and as for age i have a 65 yr old working for me and some 20 somethings with no prior milatary experiance. Granted this is not for everyone but if u want to make some good money this might be for you. and 99% of the contractors never leave the Base we call them fobbits here."

Thanks for getting things back on track.