One More Nail In The Coffin. Making It Almost Impossible To Get A Driving Licence

Tigs

My one year Licence is now up for renewal, I just went to get my 5 year Thai Driving Licence, to be informed by the Immigration Office that they have 'just' changed the rules and that they will no longer do any proof of address letters for Farangs (I thought Immigration was for dealing with Farangs!), therefore the Thai Licence cannot be renewed. I spoke at the vehicle Licencing office and they said, yes the rules have changed! The woman was spouting some BS about they must have proof of address, therefore you must have a work permit????? Any help out there amongst the sages and oracles? Thanks. This is another example of the Thai beuracracy displaying it's complete disdain for Farangs. They want our money but not our company!

I found your post most difficult to believe.what about all the retirees here who obviously would not qualify if indeed you have to have a work permit.

Normally you go to immigration with original rental agreement that shows your address and immigration will issue a certificate of residence.As i understood it to obtain a licence you had to be on a non immigration B,or non immigration O-A or a non immigration O to obtain a licence.

Thanks Rick

Yes, it is just I am 600 miles from Bangkok so it just makes it all a PIA.

Beano

Sorry what is the 'yellow tabien baan'? is that some sort of house book? I live with my wife at my MILs. So only have a blue book, which I cannot be registered on,

I found your post most difficult to believe.what about all the retirees here who obviously would not qualify if indeed you have to have a work permit.

Normally you go to immigration with original rental agreement that shows your address and immigration will issue a certificate of residence.As i understood it to obtain a licence you had to be on a non immigration B,or non immigration O-A or a non immigration O to obtain a licence.

As difficult as I found it an hour ago mate. I have been back to immigration, they insist they have just had a letter from Bangkok, no more letters for Farangs! The woman at the Driving Licence place is wrong about needing a work Permit, but it is how to tell her she is wrong. I have a non im O. Looks like my only option is to haul ass up to Bangkok. I dont really want to send my passport through the post.

ok,so why would a letter from your embassy suffice,what do they say in a letter that original rental agreement plus residency certificate does not?I recently bought a motorcycle(like last friday)and went to my local imigration office to get a residency certificate and i had no problem.I am not meaning to doubt the experience you have just had,just find it all so crazy.

Why bother, i have been driving on a uk licence for 20 years ,had 2 accidents, insurance paid no problem, im not giving the thais one penny more than i have to, and that includes license fees ,. :)

Interesting that insurance paid up no problem. I guess its because its the car that's insured not the driver as it is in the west?

ok,so why would a letter from your embassy suffice,what do they say in a letter that original rental agreement plus residency certificate does not?I recently bought a motorcycle(like last friday)and went to my local imigration office to get a residency certificate and i had no problem.I am not meaning to doubt the experience you have just had,just find it all so crazy.

It is crazy, and that is it. I went exactly one week ago and asked what do I need to renew. They told me, one part of course being my Visa renewed (it was due). I went on a visa run to Penang on Wed, got back late Fri. Go in to the same office this morning to be met with a metephoric 'tough s**t' we have changed the rules since you came in 7 days ago!! I imagine that the people in the Immigration office are being very anal. I also Imagine that some people out there will still be experiencing very helpful staff at their local Immigration Office.

thats another crazy thing,how immigration offices around the country are not uniform in how they dish out the rules,incidentally which immigration office was it that you went to.

Kantang, Trang Province. Staff are normally stiff but helpful. Now they are stiff and unhelpful.

Why bother, i have been driving on a uk licence for 20 years ,had 2 accidents, insurance paid no problem, im not giving the thais one penny more than i have to, and that includes license fees ,. :)

Perhaps you have been lucky. I have been told many times that "no Thai drivers license" is a common loop hole the insurance companies use for not paying your claim. This is very believable as even in a western country you would have big problems with no license. I have not had a personal experience with this as I have a Thai license, but it is something to consider.

I got my 5 year license around a year ago. They said that I needed confirmation of address, so I went to the UK embassy and they wrote a letter basically confirming that I was who I said I was and the address of the condo that I live in. I had no problem getting the licence.

Cheers, Rick

I know logic and Thai bureaucracy is an oxymoron but surely if one was to renew his/her “EXPIRED” license and the address on the old license correlates to the missus blue book that should be proof enough.

My 5 year is due for renewal through the next year and there is NO way I’m going through the expense of flying to and from BKK just to get some sort of letter from my Embassy. The license has to be expired to get another 5 years so it can stay expired forever.

As someone has stated and I have a UK friend who has driven on his home license (and had one accident that I know of) for some 16 years without problem.

Edited by bdenner

My one year Licence is now up for renewal, I just went to get my 5 year Thai Driving Licence, to be informed by the Immigration Office that they have 'just' changed the rules and that they will no longer do any proof of address letters for Farangs (I thought Immigration was for dealing with Farangs!), therefore the Thai Licence cannot be renewed. I spoke at the vehicle Licencing office and they said, yes the rules have changed! The woman was spouting some BS about they must have proof of address, therefore you must have a work permit????? Any help out there amongst the sages and oracles? Thanks. This is another example of the Thai beuracracy displaying it's complete disdain for Farangs. They want our money but not our company!

So much easier for Thais to get a D/L in your country no doubt. Suck it up buddy. :)

Interesting that insurance paid up no problem. I guess its because its the car that's insured not the driver as it is in the west?

Exactly, i never even got asked for the license,

there is NO way I’m going through the expense of flying to and from BKK just to get some sort of letter from my Embassy. The license has to be expired to get another 5 years so it can stay expired forever.

Actually you will end up doing exactly want they want you to do, as if you dont...you dont get the license... :)

ps....you let your 5 year expire before you try and extend it, bye bye 5 year license..start all over again...its only the 1 year you let expire.... :D

There is allways a way in LOS the get a drivelicense, unlike the US (stay every year a couple months in Hawaii) where it's impossible for a LEGAL Foreigner to insure, to own (register) a car and to get a Local Drive License (even i have a Swiss and Thai International one). Overthere they ask you for Social Security Number. As a Foreigner you can't get one and unless you have one you can't do anything there (i don't know how all the illegal immigrants get a DL there). No wonder why Thai Authoroties tighten up theyr rules.

When I got my one year license I got my letter from the local police station. I do remember it was a bit of a hassle and rather expensive. We had to have our house papers and also a local thai (manager) vouch for us. We got our license with no problem.

When we went for our five year license we went the immigration route for a letter in Hua hin. At that time it was no problem and the also registered us as living at our current address. But that was 6 months ago and also at the Hua Hin Immigration office.

Once again it depends where you are and who you are talking to at the time.

:)

Another stupid rumour bouncing around these parts is that the second 5year DL will ONLY be issued with a Yellow House Book ¬ a Residence Letter

What is all about this yellow houseboks? A foregner can't own any houses or land.

Another stupid rumour bouncing around these parts is that the second 5year DL will ONLY be issued with a Yellow House Book ¬ a Residence Letter

What is all about this yellow houseboks? A foregner can't own any houses or land.

Yellow tambien ban is for foreigners who do own a condo, or in my case, married to a Thai gal who owns our house. Took about an hour to get it at Thanyaburi amphur, think I just got lucky. There's a pinned thread on the "real estate..." forum, I think it is on the subject.

Last month when renewing my not yet expired 5-year license, just showed the Yellow book for address, quite acceptable.

Mac

Yellow tambien ban is for foreigners who do own a condo, or in my case, married to a Thai gal who owns our house. Took about an hour to get it at Thanyaburi amphur, think I just got lucky. There's a pinned thread on the "real estate..." forum, I think it is on the subject.

Last month when renewing my not yet expired 5-year license, just showed the Yellow book for address, quite acceptable.

Mac

I too think you were lucky ,Mac.

It took me about 4 visits to amphur including one with Poo Yai(village headman) but like you say, I will never need a residence letter again and it was FREE !

Dave

The Thais have to pass a test here in Thailand. My gf failed hers a couple of weeks ago. She was stupid really as she let her 5 year license expire and had to redo the test. since then we have moved and now she has to do the lot again.

With ref to the OP, can he not just go to another area to get renewal of license?

There is allways a way in LOS the get a drivelicense, unlike the US (stay every year a couple months in Hawaii) where it's impossible for a LEGAL Foreigner to insure, to own (register) a car and to get a Local Drive License (even i have a Swiss and Thai International one). Overthere they ask you for Social Security Number. As a Foreigner you can't get one and unless you have one you can't do anything there (i don't know how all the illegal immigrants get a DL there). No wonder why Thai Authoroties tighten up theyr rules.

Makes me wonder how my mum had a US drivers license (She's from the UK), owned and insured a car there? Could be because she owned a house in Florida, even though she didn't have a SS number.

Brigante7.

Try getting a letter detailing your address from your local Amphur. Should be free or minimal cost and saves a trip to your Embassy.

Take along wife/girlfriend/landlord with tabian baan and as many supporting documents as you can.

Explain what you want it for and hopefully they will get done whilst you are there.

Before I got my yellow book this was the route I took whenever proof of address was required as my local immigration office stopped printing letters too and no way was I going to make a long trip to BKK just to be extorted by the British Embassy for their letter.