Ousted Premier Thaksin Will Set Up Satellite Tv Stations

churchill

BANGKOK, July 27 (TNA) - Ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra celebrated his 60th birthday on Sunday with what he earlier branded “a big surprise," announcing that he planned to set up a satellite television business with at least three channels dedicated to the Thai people.

The announcement, via video link at about 9pm Sunday evening, was aired at a birthday dinner party at the Mangkorn Luang (Royal Dragon) Restaurant in Bangkok and two other sites holding parties to celebrate his birthday -- Wat Uthaitaram in sub-urban Bangkok and in At Samat district of Roi-Et.

A number of Puea Thai party members of parliament and members of the anti-government United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) joined the event at the restaurant.

Dressed in a red shirt, Mr Thaksin said he planned to establish satellite television networks with 100 channels, with at least three channels to serve the Thai people.

One channel was expected to be used to promote Thailand’s ‘One Tambom One Product’ (OTOP) output, another to broadcast ‘reality shows’ about Thai poverty and how the wealthy will help them, and the third channel will concentrate on providing education programmes for Thai students.

continuedhttp://enews.mcot.net/view.php?id=10999tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 27/07/09

Thank you Churchill, for finally breaking the media black-out of this event. I tried to start this discussion but was shut down immediately, and diverted to some aged threads. Those threads studiously ignored this significant development, preferring to regurgitate yesterday's irrelevant discussion designed to diminish the possibilities of what could be involved in this "surprise". The rationale for introducing this satelite initiative in this manner was well founded. Yesterday's B'day event went as follows: 61 events in total - events of varying sizes in 57 provinces, 1 event each in Los Angeles, Houston, Chicago and London. The event in BKK was huge, with an estimated 100,000 BKK pro-democracy advocates attending at Sanam Luang, in spite of the Governments overt attempts to foil it. But I am sure you will read all about this in the English Language media,....right?.....right? Maybe they will stoop to tell you 20 Pro-Democracy Red Shirts attended......Oops, maybe 25......................... And now the 1-million plus signatory petition. My understanding of the pre-emptive method that will be used to discredit it, will be as follows. They have hand-picked some pliable and sympathetic Proffs. at Chulalongkorn University, provided them with "political guidance" after which they will issue a "solemn Declaration" discreditting 1-million plus concerned citizens. This will happen tommorrow, but most likely the "solemn declaration" has already been written for them.

My understanding referenced in my comments in post #2 above, about the petition, is based on what the pro-democracy Red Shirts tell me. I will be interested to see if they are correct in this matter. The lack of media coverage of this major event is underwhelming.

Edited by Ferwert

Wow, a channel to promote OTOP products? HBO and ESPN are shaking in their boots.

Live broadcast from poor Thai villages is another must see. I guess sponsored by Beer Chang. Maybe Government Lottery Office, too.

Main sponsor of Thai poverty channel should be PTP party, though.

"Dressed in a red shirt, Mr Thaksin said he planned to establish satellite television networks with 100 channels, with at least three channels to serve the Thai people."

Competition for UBC - He cannot fail !- Why has it not been done it before ?

Wow, a channel to promote OTOP products? HBO and ESPN are shaking in their boots.

Live broadcast from poor Thai villages is another must see. I guess sponsored by Beer Chang. Maybe Government Lottery Office, too.

Main sponsor of Thai poverty channel should be PTP party, though.

I realize you are not to be reasoned with 'Plus', so I am using your message as the vehicle to expand on Mr. Thaksin's initiative for others. If Thaksin was the incarnation of JC, you would find fault. You are hopeless on one end of the love-hate Thaksin spectrum, I am equally hopeless on the other end. Thaksin stepped on a number of toes, that should have been stepped on long before his time, ie. the doctors were PO'd because the 30-baht program menaced their personal financial gains, Government officials were PO'd because Thaksin saw them intimidating lower classes with their fancy uniforms and arrogance behind Government counters, and forced them to be Civil Servants, the underground lottery people were PO'd because they lost the cash cow that was enslaving gullible people, schoolteachers were PO'd because he made them work to standards, etc., etc. Is it any wonder he commands such loyalty. Getting to the point of this post, an obscure group that was also PO'd were Thai Embassy staff. Thaksin forced them to get off their fancy cocktail circuit and promote/sell OTOP products that was the bread-and-butter of so many people earning a living in Thai small economies. The Embassy people were happy to see the back-end of Thaksin, so they could get back their social back-slapping ways, small economies be dammed. Abhisit and friends quickly killed the OTOP program. So before you knock OTOP 'plus', know of what you speak and the people it supports. Getting back to your position on the Thaksin love-hate spectrum, a pursuasive argument could be made that in addition to those groups mentioned above, most other people at your end of the spectrum were engaged in illegal activities which Thaksin challenged, ie, drug purveyors, underground lottery, money lenders.

Edited by Ferwert

I realize you are not to be reasoned with 'Plus',

Errrm, why? Don't have enough arguments?

I don't want to go through your posts point by point because that would veer very very far off topic.

As for Otop - let Thaksin promote those chilli pastes and coconut cakes all he wants. I'm saying no one would watch this program, that's all. It's not like Thais have never seen Otop products, they are everywhere, people buy what they want or need.

As for competition to UBC - you can't be serious. Thaksin can't get licenses to broadcast the good stuff - movies and sports. As for free to air channels - go check the relevant forum here. There are hundreds of them already with dozens of satellites. There's no money in it, no pays for them, they are not in Thai so there's no market for them here either.

"Dressed in a red shirt, Mr Thaksin said he planned to establish satellite television networks with 100 channels, with at least three channels to serve the Thai people."

Competition for UBC - He cannot fail !- Why has it not been done it before ?

wow!, 3 whole channels out of the available 100 dedicated for Thai viewers

thats 3% of the total package dedicated to Thai matters and one of them is an OTOP shopping channel!

what a fantastic deal for Thailand.........not

typical economics for Thickskin 97% for me, 3% for you

if 3% of the of red shirted people tune in to see the almighty Thicksin

he might even get six or seven people looking at any one time........

Thank you Churchill, for finally breaking the media black-out of this event. I tried to start this discussion but was shut down immediately, and diverted to some aged threads. Those threads studiously ignored this significant development, preferring to regurgitate yesterday's irrelevant discussion designed to diminish the possibilities of what could be involved in this "surprise". The rationale for introducing this satelite initiative in this manner was well founded. Yesterday's B'day event went as follows: 61 events in total - events of varying sizes in 57 provinces, 1 event each in Los Angeles, Houston, Chicago and London. The event in BKK was huge, with an estimated 100,000 BKK pro-democracy advocates attending at Sanam Luang, in spite of the Governments overt attempts to foil it. But I am sure you will read all about this in the English Language media,....right?.....right? Maybe they will stoop to tell you 20 Pro-Democracy Red Shirts attended......Oops, maybe 25......................... And now the 1-million plus signatory petition. My understanding of the pre-emptive method that will be used to discredit it, will be as follows. They have hand-picked some pliable and sympathetic Proffs. at Chulalongkorn University, provided them with "political guidance" after which they will issue a "solemn Declaration" discreditting 1-million plus concerned citizens. This will happen tommorrow, but most likely the "solemn declaration" has already been written for them.

So FERWENT, you say : ".....100,000 BKK pro-democracy advocates attending at Sanam Luang ....."

I was at Sanam Luang all day on Sunday (not for any taxsin or red shirt activity) and I certainly did not see a crowd of 100,000 people, in fact not even 10% of that number.

So, would you please give some details / proof of your quoted number of 100,000. Some details to prove your claim of events in 57 provinces, London, Houston etc., would also be good.

A political/propaganda's reference

www(dot)generalprem(dot)com

This make me puke.

and quite how is this is relevant in a discussion about satellite tv?

if its not relavant to this thread then isn't your own post a ''A political/propaganda's reference''?

This make me puke.

makes me puke as well,

i hope he cant sleep well at night, knowing deep down he stuffed up the country via his 2006 coup.

then again he probably covers it up by blaming someone else :)

So FERWENT, you say : ".....100,000 BKK pro-democracy advocates attending at Sanam Luang ....."

I was at Sanam Luang all day on Sunday (not for any taxsin or red shirt activity) and I certainly did not see a crowd of 100,000 people, in fact not even 10% of that number.

So, would you please give some details / proof of your quoted number of 100,000. Some details to prove your claim of events in 57 provinces, London, Houston etc., would also be good.

From what I heard, they didn't have the party at Sanam Luang on Khun Thaksin's Birthday but they will be there to receive the petitions until midnight of 31st July. There will be a lot of trucks provincial people carrying the petitions to submit to UDD leaders.

I also read about the reds of more than 50 provinces going to wat to pray for Khun Thaksin on 25th and 26th July but the main base was at Roi Et and 3 at Bangkok.

You missed one important venue: Dubai

Yes scorecard, you are right and I stand corrected. The primary event was at Roi Et, and that is where the 100,000 pro-democracy Red Shirts gathered in such large numbers. My source tells me there were over 500 at Sanam Luang, so perhaps your 10% estimate is correct. With respect to the other stats, about the 57 provinces, plus those out-of-country cities, I queried my source and she obtained it from internet websites. My source accesses a number of Thai-speaking websites, which are the backbone of the pro-democracy communications linkages. Prior to the coup she used to be planted in front of the TV for all her political news. That stopped a long time ago. The anti-democracy agenda on all major channels was disconcerting to her. Abhisit tried to increase his audience on his weekly Sunday morning show (I think that is when it is. It has never been viewed by my political junkie wife) by inviting leading members of the pro-democracy Red Shirts. He knows full well that this comprises the largest audience in Thailand.

This make me puke.

makes me puke as well,

i hope he cant sleep well at night, knowing deep down he stuffed up the country via his 2006 coup.

then again he probably covers it up by blaming someone else :)

thats good news, please read it as often as you can, the thought of you vomiting something other than the crap you spew forth on here gives me great pleasure

i, for one sleep very well, thinking how inconsequential you and your squarehead master really are

so thank you Prem

Edited by timekeeper

[

Yes scorecard, you are right and I stand corrected. The primary event was at Roi Et, and that is where the 100,000 pro-democracy Red Shirts gathered in such large numbers. My source tells me there were over 500 at Sanam Luang, so perhaps your 10% estimate is correct. With respect to the other stats, about the 57 provinces, plus those out-of-country cities, I queried my source and she obtained it from internet websites. My source accesses a number of Thai-speaking websites, which are the backbone of the pro-democracy communications linkages. Prior to the coup she used to be planted in front of the TV for all her political news. That stopped a long time ago. The anti-democracy agenda on all major channels was disconcerting to her. Abhisit tried to increase his audience on his weekly Sunday morning show (I think that is when it is. It has never been viewed by my political junkie wife) by inviting leading members of the pro-democracy Red Shirts. He knows full well that this comprises the largest audience in Thailand.

I think you stand corrected at Roi Et too, Mr Fervent Admirer of Thailand's greatest liar.

The numbers were more like 1,000 not 100,000.