Ko Chang In September

Manicek

Hello everybody,

I consider to visit Thailand this year during September and October. Please let me know whether is suitable to visit island Ko Chang just in September(rain season). I do not know how strong is monsoon is in this area but according to my friends who visited Thailand during European summer or autumn(just in September and October) the rain is not so heavy there like for example in India. How many hours does the rain fall at these days(usually 1 or 2 hours in afternoon or during the whole day?)?

My second questions is whether there are such small supermarkets like 7-eleven on island Ko Chang where the backpakers can buy some food like instant noodle, bottled water or beer not to be fully dependent on food of restaurants. I know that these shops are on other Thai islands like Koh Samui but for example this island is much more crowded and westernized.

Thank you very much for your help.

I've been to Koh Chang 3 times, always in December/January. Don't know about the rainy season. If it follows the same pattern as in BKK, it would usualy 2 hours or so in the evening.

(Koh Samet, that is not subject of this post, is called the driest place in Thailand, hardly ever rains).

Yes, there are 7-11s and Internet at Koh Chang.

I don't remember seeing any banks there. Exchange ofice does exist or was it a van that goes around?

One way ferry ticket is 30B, takes about 35 mins to get accross.

Papers in English (BKK Post) I was told arrive 7pm at one place but was ready and waiting at another since 9am.

My last time there (it's 2.5 hrs drive from home) I saw many tourists being rerouted from southern devastated destinations.

Heard some Brits being told by a hotel owner that the price had gone up due to government imposed tax aimed at rebuilding of Phuket. It was a plain lie.

Heard of many such attempts. Service in restaurants on the mainland can get bad but not that bad as what appeared to be a consitent attitude at Koh Chang. We were a quiet family with children, no drinking/smoking.

I would be going there again but would not stay overnight. Oh, the hotels are overpriced too.

If you are a backpacker, it's a different story then. KC is then much closer to heaven than many other places. Some live on the beach for the whole lenght of their visa.

kohchang1.jpg

Edited by think_too_mut

I've been to Koh Chang Sept/Oct time and have to say the sea was whitewash, massive waves, and very rainy.

The only plus side is the hotel/bungalow rates go down as its 'off season'.

Plenty of little shops about the island though.

I always find the best place to go 'weather wise' off season is Koh Samet, it has the same pattern, if it rains, it only rains for an about an hour then its lovely again! :o

Manicek, IN CASE u wanna communicate in german (nevertheless, english is as well spoken) contact khun DANI at KlongPhrao Beach.

www.koh-chang.ch

He's been living KC for more than 6 years and he may answer almost all of your questions both by means of backpack as well as exclusive resort locations. Besides, he offers unbeatable motobike rental rates (and u almost surely need a motobike on KC, e.g. driving to ATM or 7-11).

Have been to KC once or twice in september (cannot really remember, I guess I travel too much) and I regret to tell you that rain was no1 reasonfor me to leave earlier than expected...

anyway, have fun

KC is by far the better island than Samui...(imho)

I'm planning to go to Ko Chang for a few days. How much busier does the island get on the weekends? I prefer to go during the week, due to my work being busier on weekends, however, if there is a big difference in the nightlife between weekdays and weekends I'll take the time off and visit then.

Thanks in advance,

Konangrit.

Went to KC for 3 days last December, stayed at the new Amari resort, very expensive but nice. A visit to the large waterfall is worthwhile. Sunsets were magnificent, but not much nightlife there. I think there is a small bar complex to find girls, but I brought my own, which I would recommend. There's at least one bank there, with ATM.

• 4 weeks later...

nightlife: WHAT nightlife????

padi: some courses offered, recommend to check KC websites. Prices might be similar to Samui.

Amari: agree, nice but overprized (talking about the beach maintenance)

weekend or weekday travel: weekday sure better. weekends crowded with thai. and - read above - weekday or weekend makes no difference at all regarding a non-existing nightlife (which is -imho- very much okay! Keep KC clean and realaxed...)

• 4 weeks later...

Joinme2leave:

I've visited Koh Samui is not my preference. I would prefer Phuket as Koh Samui all the hotels are concentrated and no physical space to walk, to relax, hotels/resorts facilities not enough, swimming pool small (we love swim.pool),green spaces.

In your opinion where to stay is better,I mean which beach? I've searching info about accomodation and found Seaview Resort the one with fitness center and better swimming pool.I think we won';t use the beach due to small jellyfish and we don't want to be bother with this.

WHat do you know about Kai Bae Beach? Does it have restaurants right on the beach so we can have our bbq there and appreciate the fire show? Outside Seaview Resort what can we find e.g. restaurants,small shops, minimarts?

KaeBae does have all the necessary amenities (thow, no -annoying- girlie bars but I guess that's the least u r looking 4) such as 7-11, minimarts, pharmacy and lots of restaurants. Not a lot on beach side as the beach is quite small. Nevertheless I remember some spots where beach side BBQ is offered. Very nice place to stay (imho) is KoChang Theme Park Resort and they definitely offer BBQ as well. Small private kinda beach there too. And a pool. Reasonable prize (if u compare with Amari resort just 1,5 kilometres away at Khlong Prao Beach). Another option would be to take a motobike ride to Lonely beach (approx 10 kilometres further south). Lots of (backpack like) beach site restaurants there and cheaper prices too. All-in-all-summary: as far as I can read between your "line": forget White Sand Beach (it's just a very poor Pattaya copy) and think about any good resort between Khlong Prao and KaeBae. :o