Teaching At Abac

frtiz

Hi everyone,

I just received a phone call from the secretary of the head of the department of English at ABAC if I can come for an interview tomorrow at ABAC. ehhh. I was a bit surprised as I sent my CV about 7 months ago. Anyways, I was just interested what it's like. Pay rate, working hours, holidays. etc.

Oh yeah, when I asked her for more info she said: you take writing test too, you come tomorrow take 3 hours.

3 hours for a bloody interview?

I was a bit baffled as I wasn't even informed on the position, or terms or conditions nor purpose of the meeting....

Comments are welcomed!

Let's make sure we keep the information as factual as possible and keep negative comments in a context that doesn't result in the thread being closed.

Obviously no one has any facts or positive comments. Ignorance and negative is the way to go.

If you are close to 60, forget it as they have the option to force you to sign a new contract for senior instructors. Benefits are none once you hit 60. No yearly bonus, no step raises, perform all duties the same as younger instructors. King Chulalongkorn abolished slavery in Thailand. abac has reinstituted it. Don't make suggestions as farlangs are tolerated only as long as they keep their mouths shut. The committee approving the over 60 crowd for one year contract renewals does not have one teacher on it. It is run strictly by opinion, not fact. Two forms of management there, no management and mismanagement. You will be teaching at the new campus which is on kilo 25 of Bang Na Trat. Bus service is free for teachers for now. How do I know? I was one who was forced out. I am happier now just getting away from the place. I expect this comment be te removed but you wanted facts, you got them.

Hi everyone,

I just received a phone call from the secretary of the head of the department of English at ABAC if I can come for an interview tomorrow at ABAC. ehhh. I was a bit surprised as I sent my CV about 7 months ago. Anyways, I was just interested what it's like. Pay rate, working hours, holidays. etc.

Oh yeah, when I asked her for more info she said: you take writing test too, you come tomorrow take 3 hours.

3 hours for a bloody interview?

I was a bit baffled as I wasn't even informed on the position, or terms or conditions nor purpose of the meeting....

Comments are welcomed!

The interview is to prove you can understand English. The writing test is for the same reason. There have been some applicants who couldn't spell their name let alone, any reasonable English.

Pay rate will depend on your experience teaching, educational level, and so on. Make sure you have a bonafide degree. They will check you out. They have had some apply and even worked for a time with a bonafide POP. Just a piece of paper maybe from Khao San Road. They even consider some degrees low class and will not hire those with those degrees. No Associate degrees allowed, only bachelors and up. You may be lucky to get 25K for a master's degree. Maybe more if a lot of experience. Just like downtown, expect to bargain for your salary.

If a native speaker, expect 15 hour work week. 30 hours on campus time including the 15 hour teaching load. Only one Christian holiday is off. Numerous Thai Holidays with some holidays where the government is off but not the teachers. One negative aspect is proctoring exams, everyone does it.

Do expect to make changes. Farlangs are tolerated only. Lots of jealousy from the Thai instructors as they are paid less then the farlangs.

Thanks for the posts, so far. I am not trying to keep people from reporting the downside of any institution, just trying to keep the thread civil. If the elder crowd is treated differently, that's pretty factual. As for the management aspect, that's pretty standard for most schools here--at least from a Western perspective.

Expectations from different people will vary and it's good to know that if you expect to change things, it's not going to happen.

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm still young enough. I'm researcher/lecturer with relevant experience to take up a lecturing position at ABAC I assume, as I have an MA and BA in Applied linguistics and English language and culture. They're real degrees from a well known university in Western Europe.

At the moment a couple of universities have made me offers but I'm looking for an opening that allows me to do research as well. I'm running a couple of research projects on language acquisition and learner psychology at the moment and I was hoping to find a job opening where I could continue doing these things. However, with 15 hrs a week plus 30 hrs of office work.. that doesn't look like an academic opening. Also I found on their website that they only teach business English. There is no department of linguistics.

Well I hope to find out more today after a phone call with the head of the English department.

Many thanks for your replies. I always thought an interview was to find out what the interests and fields of expertise are from both sides and to see if there is any chemistry between the employer and possible future employee. Any word on salary scales?

Fritz

I just had a pleasant chat with the head of the department. He seems like a friendly and reasonable person. Realistic about the salary, hours and benefits. I was talking to some of the Thai staff at ABAC earlier this morning and they seemed clueless in terms of conditions or terms. At HRM they didn't know anything.

However, having a good chat with the head of department doesn't automatically mean that it's the best job in the world but worthwhile paying a visit. The salary offered is not great but with all the holidays thrown in, bonus, housing... (anyone knows what housing is like?) it might be worthwhile considering, as I have some other ventures here and there as well. Also, he told me the university encourages people to do research. However, to the question how many people are actually engaged in research at the moment, he had to admit that very few were interested and or actively engaged in any project at the moment.

One of the downsides was that they do have office hours meaning that you have to be on campus most of the time. But he said that on days that you're not teaching you're allowed some more freedom in scheduling your own time. Can anyone comment on this? How does this work out in reality? Because I've heard promises like that before.

Teaching hours were around 15 hours a week and extra hours taught were paid for. Only English language teaching was required, no other more content based, linguistic, courses. That's too bad.

If you are close to 60, forget it as they have the option to force you to sign a new contract for senior instructors. Benefits are none once you hit 60. No yearly bonus, no step raises, perform all duties the same as younger instructors. King Chulalongkorn abolished slavery in Thailand. abac has reinstituted it. Don't make suggestions as farlangs are tolerated only as long as they keep their mouths shut. The committee approving the over 60 crowd for one year contract renewals does not have one teacher on it. It is run strictly by opinion, not fact. Two forms of management there, no management and mismanagement. You will be teaching at the new campus which is on kilo 25 of Bang Na Trat. Bus service is free for teachers for now. How do I know? I was one who was forced out. I am happier now just getting away from the place. I expect this comment be te removed but you wanted facts, you got them.

I have heard the same from 2 ex-lecturers whose version of events I trust. Especially the 2 forms of management comment.

Kev

I just had a pleasant chat with the head of the department. He seems like a friendly and reasonable person. Realistic about the salary, hours and benefits. I was talking to some of the Thai staff at ABAC earlier this morning and they seemed clueless in terms of conditions or terms. At HRM they didn't know anything.

*chortle*

SNAFU

Kev

I've got nothing to write about ABAC and thus no comments to make. However, is this forum the place to discuss schools? If so, I'm curious about what AUA is like to teach at? I saw a branch at Seri center and wondered what AUA is and what it's like. Is it a University or language school?

If AUA has already been discussed on a TV thread I'd be interested in knowing about it.

I've got nothing to write about ABAC and thus no comments to make. However, is this forum the place to discuss schools? If so, I'm curious about what AUA is like to teach at? I saw a branch at Seri center and wondered what AUA is and what it's like. Is it a University or language school?

If AUA has already been discussed on a TV thread I'd be interested in knowing about it.

AUA is a language centre, check out their homepage, just google AUA

• 2 months later...
However, with 15 hrs a week plus 30 hrs of office work.. that doesn't look like an academic opening. Also I found on their website that they only teach business English. There is no department of linguistics.

U just have to accomplish the 15hrs teaching task, then u can choose to stay at home or a coffee shop, etc..The 30 hrs of office work is just mean that u have got 30hrs working record between check-in and check-out with ur working card.

As I know, there is no department of linguistics, if u want to do some research, u have to do it by urself.

(anyone knows what housing is like?)

The accommodations are different. If u go to Bangna Campus. U can go to King David, and have a look about the housing. The teachers are alway living on the 3rd floor and the 5th floor. The rooms on the 3rd are little bit small, one single bed, and no balcony. The housing condition in the 5th floor is much better. There are 2 single-size beds, and a balcony. Besides, if u live in campus, the waitress will come to ur room to do the cleaning work everyday.

Edited by tangqian86

Thanks for the info, tangqian86; that's quite a range between 20 and 50k - are there any positions that would pay more? like a supervisory or managerial position in a university? How might a uni teacher earn more?

And your previous supervisory or managerial experience in Thailand is . . . ?

Teach doctoral candidates. Tutor on the side.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for the info, tangqian86; that's quite a range between 20 and 50k - are there any positions that would pay more? like a supervisory or managerial position in a university? How might a uni teacher earn more?

The only way you will get a managerial position in abac is be there for over ten years, be a Thai, or have a Doctorate from Harvard or any ivy league university. By the way, they consider colleges or schools as low class. Boston College, Dartmouth College, and the London School of Economics are considered low class as they are colleges or schools. I could tell you a story about one program I was in but too long for this item. By the way, 50K is a dream and you won't get it when you first start. High point is 70K and then pay raises stop. Over 60, no yearly bonus, no step raises, same job as the ones under 60 who do get the bonus and steps. Good luck.

Edited by puyaidon