Best Internet By Location In Cm

zippydedodah

Given the fact that distance from switching station plays an important role..... do folks have recommendations for where to live based on internet connection?

Internet plays an important role in our family life and the wife is now insisting we make it a major consideration. We plan to live north or north-east of the City... our kid will be

attending Chiang Mai International School, so we can be out as far as San Pa Pao or so.....

any and all information will be welcomed.

thanks

Zippy

Edited by zippydedodah

I'm using TOT at the speed 3 Mb, it's cheap but currently very slow.

was does slow mean exactly? And where are you located?

I have a 6mb line here in SFO and friends from Korea come over and call me "slow" cuz they have 50 mb lines....

Yet i find this is fine for my purposes... hel_l, my 3mb line was fine... and i could definitely live with a 1.5 mb line.....

zippy

There is no consistency and you're unlikely to get any useful information. One day is up, the next is down. Today Maxnet is deemed better than TOT and tomorrow Maxnet stinks. My TOT connection was very slow but (crossed fingers) has now been running close to advertised speed for months although some sites absolutely refuse to load.

Best thing you can do is quiz prospective neighbours and pray.

There is no consistency and you're unlikely to get any useful information. One day is up, the next is down. Today Maxnet is deemed better than TOT and tomorrow Maxnet stinks. My TOT connection was very slow but (crossed fingers) has now been running close to advertised speed for months although some sites absolutely refuse to load.

Best thing you can do is quiz prospective neighbours and pray.

OK... i can understand that.... quizzing the neighbors is definitely on the to-do-list.

any and all information will be welcomed.

thanks

Zippy

I live about 20kms North near Mae Rim and with Maxnet (I think, although its name has practically disappeared from the bill)my average download speed is 2.45Mbs and Upload is 0.21Mbs.

It takes about 5 minutes for my Nat West Bank's page to appear and then another 5 minutes to log in - if I'm lucky. Often its longer than that and so I give up. Kasikorn loads quite quickly and it's mostly just tolerable.

The service has recently seriously deteriorated as you may have read on another thread. I can no longer download music from the BBC and listen to it on their BBC iPlayer. It just doesn't download. About two or three weeks ago it worked almost perfectly. Its a big loss to me.

Anybody tried the new Maxnet promotion offering 10 Mbps at 1,495 a month? I love the remark at the bottom: "Actual connectivity speed may be lower than stated in the package due to various factors and limitations of the network.", so it would be nice to hear from someone that actually used it.

I have used CAT for several years and always praised them as the "less worse" ISP. However, in the last two weeks the international speed is way down. On my 3/1 I get around 30-40 kbps download speed to Europe. Their support people seem to focus on the speed between CM to Bangkok (which is fine), but that helps me very little. I need a stable connection to what is known in international circles as the Internet.

I would not look for a place to live based on what the Internet connection is like. That seems silly to me. I think you will be disappointed no matter where you choose to live. I live in Sansai and the connection is terrible where I am. Other TV members whom I'm in contact with that live in the moobaan across the road from me also have countless problems with their connection. When I lived in the city on Huay Kaew Road, the connection was just as bad if not worse. Learn to accept it; it is what it is. Or, spend several thousand Baht per month for a package that will satisfy you.

At 3 Mb TOT ADSL its slower than the dial up connection 56k modem era. It used to be pretty fast though.

was does slow mean exactly? And where are you located?

I have a 6mb line here in SFO and friends from Korea come over and call me "slow" cuz they have 50 mb lines....

Yet i find this is fine for my purposes... hel_l, my 3mb line was fine... and i could definitely live with a 1.5 mb line.....

zippy

I would not look for a place to live based on what the Internet connection is like. That seems silly to me. I think you will be disappointed no matter where you choose to live. I live in Sansai and the connection is terrible where I am. Other TV members whom I'm in contact with that live in the moobaan across the road from me also have countless problems with their connection. When I lived in the city on Huay Kaew Road, the connection was just as bad if not worse. Learn to accept it; it is what it is. Or, spend several thousand Baht per month for a package that will satisfy you.

and that is part of the question here.... if i am willing to spend a couple of thousand baht/month... WILL that package satisfy me?

Yes, i know, it is thailand, and i have spent a total of about 12 months there over the last 10 years, so i am not unfamiliar with the vagaries/inconsistencies of normal life there. The day of a consistent, value based internet provider are a long ways off... just trying to get a grip on whatever i can at this point in time.

I hope folks don't feel that their responses are falling on deaf ears... i am definitely getting a "picture" of the situation that will be helpful and i thank everyone in advance for their insights and comments.

zippy

Edited by zippydedodah

Anybody tried the new Maxnet promotion offering 10 Mbps at 1,495 a month? I love the remark at the bottom: "Actual connectivity speed may be lower than stated in the package due to various factors and limitations of the network.", so it would be nice to hear from someone that actually used it.

That's fine if you live in .........Minimun Standard Broadband Internet 10 Mb

For Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Pratumthani and Samutprakran,

with all the little "add ons".....

Conditions:

• Three BB 10 M Package requires payment of 100 baht registration fee (from 1,000 baht), advance monthly fee (1 month), 100 baht equipment deposit fee (Right to borrow Wireless Router 4 port), Free 5 accounts of 50 MB POP3 Mail Service.

• Minimum service period is 12 months.

• For POP3 Mail Service, The customer have to register at www.maxnet.co.th

• Surge protection device 100 bath and line Installation 320 bath per service point

That's fine if you live in .........Minimun Standard Broadband Internet 10 Mb

For Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Pratumthani and Samutprakran,

with all the little "add ons".....

Conditions:

• Three BB 10 M Package requires payment of 100 baht registration fee (from 1,000 baht), advance monthly fee (1 month), 100 baht equipment deposit fee (Right to borrow Wireless Router 4 port), Free 5 accounts of 50 MB POP3 Mail Service.

• Minimum service period is 12 months.

• For POP3 Mail Service, The customer have to register at www.maxnet.co.th

• Surge protection device 100 bath and line Installation 320 bath per service point

"For Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Pratumthani and Samutprakran, Maxnet allows using only internet without telephone subscription."

Meaning, you need a telephone subscription with TT&T outside of those areas.

"For Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Pratumthani and Samutprakran, Maxnet allows using only internet without telephone subscription."

Meaning, you need a telephone subscription with TT&T outside of those areas.

In light of you last post, I just called their office as I would love to try it out. Only to be told that it was not available in my part of Chiangmai (Chang Puak). I asked what areas that could use it, and they didn't seem to know, or even if it was available here :)

I'm in Mae Rim and have TOT 3 MB. Usually it is OK, my pages (e.g. bank in UK) load in less than 30 seconds, I download TV from the BBC and overnight 3 programmes will download ( 2-3 hours of content) then some days it is bad but not too often. If it is we phone TOT because my resort has Wi-Fi coverage for the guests. When it's school holidays or school finishes before dinner it gets slower, I presume by the gamers using the internet shops.