Moisture Barrier For Bathrooms

stgrhe

I do not understand the post. Is the question about waterproofing the bathroom floor to prevent leaks sideways and downwards, or is the question about prevent moisture coming up through the bathroom floor?

I think it's about preventing water penetrating the walls and affecting the next room. An issue I had in India, water from the shower room made the bedroom behind it damp and mouldy :)

A common problem....back home they use a waterproofing substance, which is later tiled over, its some thick gooey substance, like resin with fibreglass strands in it, its called waterproofing from memory, doubt its used here in Thailand unless done so by one of the upmarket builders.

I think it's about preventing water penetrating the walls and affecting the next room. An issue I had in India, water from the shower room made the bedroom behind it damp and mouldy :)

These days, we use waterproof rendering (Brushcrete) on the bathing area walls before tiling. Common existing problem in many projects is at junction of wall and floor. In my projects, the contractor must first build up a 15cm high perimeter concrete curb before being allowed to build the block or brick walls. Waterproof is then installed on the floor to the side of the curb to tank the wet area.

Does anyone of you fellows know which is the best and available moisture barrier for bathrooms here in Thailand?

Ceramic tiles and waterproof grout. Think swimming pools.

Yes, that was what I meant.

Does anyone of you fellows know which is the best and available moisture barrier for bathrooms here in Thailand?

Ceramic tiles and waterproof grout. Think swimming pools.

Yes of course, why didn't I think of that. I will ask a pool company what they are using.

These days, we use waterproof rendering (Brushcrete) on the bathing area walls before tiling. Common existing problem in many projects is at junction of wall and floor. In my projects, the contractor must first build up a 15cm high perimeter concrete curb before being allowed to build the block or brick walls. Waterproof is then installed on the floor to the side of the curb to tank the wet area.

Do you use Bushcrete on the bathroom floor before tiling too? If not, what do you do?

Thanks!

Do you use Bushcrete on the bathroom floor before tiling too? If not, what do you do?

Thanks!

Yes, I use it on the floor and the wall. It is cement based and thus suitable for tiling. I think the product is now called Masterseal. Local agent is Thai Master Builder co., Ltd.

http://www.arconsupplies.co.uk/pdfs/protec...rseal%20525.pdf

Wall should first be plastered, and the floor screeded to slope towards the floor drain. When dry, apply Masterseal on to the floor and wall and allow to cure. Then water test the surface. When water tight, install tiles.

Edited by trogers

Thanks Trogers, I will ask my builder to use the Masterseal 525 for my bathrooms.

Is this product also suitable for swimming pools?

I would not use it for surfaces under water pressure. As swimming pools are usually constructed of reinforced concrete, I would recommend chemical treatment of the internal concrete surface. I have used Radcon successfully in elevated swimming pools of condos. Not only are the pools watertight, but also moisture-tight. No damp spots developed on the external surfaces of the pools.

http://www.radcrete.com.au/Downloads/02-Ra...%20Brochure.pdf

Local office is - http://search.yellowpages.co.th/en/profile...313938610130001

• 2 months later...

Yes thank you Trogers, i will give it a go too :) after have been looking for big rolls of tar unsuccesfully, i could only find a "toilette paper" roll size of it(and very overpriced) or the "liquid" version in a tin....