What's With These Infrared Gas Cooktops?

My wife and I were at Homepro yesterday looking at cook tops. We need something temporary until we gear up for the real kitchen (in about a year). So we were thinking of spending a couple thousand baht (hopefully less) on a gas cook top that can just sit on our counter. We are used to cooking with open burners and natural gas in the states so I am unfamiliar with these infrared type burners. The Homepro swarm was of course no help, telling us about all the features that we can readily observe ourselves..."That's a cooktop" "It is stainless steel" and of course telling us to buy whatever model we are NOT looking at.

So do any of you guys have experience with the infrared gas cooktops? I know in theory how they work but want some insight on practice. We have some nice Sitram pots and pans that I would rather not F up. The one thing that a Homepro dude told me, which I want to believe, is that the infrared burns "cleaner"...

Thanks,

David

My wife and I were at Homepro yesterday looking at cook tops. We need something temporary until we gear up for the real kitchen (in about a year). So we were thinking of spending a couple thousand baht (hopefully less) on a gas cook top that can just sit on our counter. We are used to cooking with open burners and natural gas in the states so I am unfamiliar with these infrared type burners. The Homepro swarm was of course no help, telling us about all the features that we can readily observe ourselves..."That's a cooktop" "It is stainless steel" and of course telling us to buy whatever model we are NOT looking at.

So do any of you guys have experience with the infrared gas cooktops? I know in theory how they work but want some insight on practice. We have some nice Sitram pots and pans that I would rather not F up. The one thing that a Homepro dude told me, which I want to believe, is that the infrared burns "cleaner"...

Thanks,

David

sorry there is no such thing as an infrared gas cooker - its either one or the other - infra red works with electricity while gas naturally runs off gas -- totally seperate cooking units -- but if i was in the process of buying new cookers i would go for the infra red - safer n cleaner

Well thats where you are wrong aussimike The gas burns under an element which glows so there is no flame, i can place foods directly on to the element and barbeque if i so desire, i think you need to get your facts updated if your going to comment on the thread mate :D:)

We have a few of both, both built into the counter though, indoors and outdoors. Be careful that the flame/start up is a bit hard to see if you have an outdoor kitchen. They're better for indoors.

:)

We have a two burner on-counter model. Seems to work ok. Supposed to use less gas which might be right. It seems to burn hotter than the normal gas flame units as I have to use the lowest settings with high quality stainless/copper saucepans. These units won't harm your saucepans provided the user realises that much less heat is required than for the usual aliminium saucepans Thais use.

The first one my wife bought a white colored ceramic element. It lasted about a year and the element started falling apart. The element had tiny square holes. This one has small round holes and is a gray color. It appears to be much more robust. The element glows and there is no visible flame. It works great and she will never go back to a regular open flame burner.

The gas burns under an element which glows so there is no flame, i can place foods directly on to the element and barbeque if i so desire, i think you need to get your facts updated if your going to comment on the thread mate :D:)

Sorry, but this is old technology. I remember using this in my high school lab over 40 years ago - bunsen burner heating a white element pad, which heated up the flask of chemicals via conduction and infra radiation.