Small Export Business 4 Thai Wife

I do not have assets other than my pension which has no survivor provisions.

I would like to secure my Thai wife's finanacial future [and that of her family] by establishing a small export business that she can run if I should have a stroke or heart attack. But I do not have the 2 MBaht needed to establish a company that would secure for me the necessary work permit to work legally. Is it possible for me to work with her without risking going to prison ?

She would do 95% of the work but I am needed for my English skills, USA advertising and fielding customer complaint calls.

If she were to start a business as a Thai person, all it would take is an accusation or small piece of evidence that I am working in any capacity to put me at risk.

As I understand it, even if I am not paid, I can be arrested for just being on the premises.

It seems ludicrous to me that a farang working in a business without ownership or pay, trying to secure a Thai [and her family] financial future is illegal.

If she were to pay me as an independent business consultant, I would still need a work permit.

Is there any way around this Catch 22 ?

I do not have assets other than my pension which has no survivor provisions.

I would like to secure my Thai wife's finanacial future [and that of her family] by establishing a small export business that she can run if I should have a stroke or heart attack. But I do not have the 2 MBaht needed to establish a company that would secure for me the necessary work permit to work legally. Is it possible for me to work with her without risking going to prison ?

She would do 95% of the work but I am needed for my English skills, USA advertising and fielding customer complaint calls.

If she were to start a business as a Thai person, all it would take is an accusation or small piece of evidence that I am working in any capacity to put me at risk.

As I understand it, even if I am not paid, I can be arrested for just being on the premises.

It seems ludicrous to me that a farang working in a business without ownership or pay, trying to secure a Thai [and her family] financial future is illegal.

If she were to pay me as an independent business consultant, I would still need a work permit.

Is there any way around this Catch 22 ?

I think that you worry too much. Perhaps you've been frightened by stories such as the one that says you can't even work on your own garden. There are guys blatantly serving drinks in bars all over Thailand. Agreed, it takes just one troublemaker to report them and they might have to pay a 'fine'. A bar 'owner' is probably more likely to be shopped than someone making a few 'phone calls or sending a few emails.

There was a case of a bar owner who was charged. He was seen pinning up the menu, greeting a customer and handing out a business card. He got a fine and probation. There was no talk of prison. He carried on regardless.

I don't want to suggest that you do anything illegal but, in reality, the authorities seem to turn a blind eye unless farang are too public - working a tuk tuk, for example. If you're working from a back office or at home, you should be OK.

Have you talked with Sunbelt about this?

...But I do not have the 2 MBaht needed to establish a company that would secure for me the necessary work permit to work legally. Is it possible for me to work with her without risking going to prison ?...
I think that you worry too much. Perhaps you've been frightened by stories such as the one that says you can't even work on your own garden....

I can't advise you to go the illegal way, the main risk is not prison but the direct way out of LOS. Not big risk but too bad if you have family here...

It seems there is another one in your case: Sole proprietorship!

Despite the risks, a sole proprietorship owner does not need 2 or 1 million baht to ask for work permit, and you don't even need to work full time with a big income as you already have another way to be legal in Thailand.

Not sure how "easy" it is to do this as I am checking it now :)

Does the 4 or 5 Thais to 1 Farang ratio for getting a work permit

apply to sole proprietorships as well as corporations ?

From information collected around TV, it does not seem so.... But this way seems also quite unfamiliar to any thai lawyer :) Still looking for one to help!