Farang Motorcycle Mechanic - Update

RugbyMan

hi all, finally solved the problem of my kawasaki boss which had problems starting, tried the obvious first, gas, stripped the carb, checked the needle etc, then looked at ignition, had already bought a new coil which took 8 days to arrive from bangkok, not the problem, next was the cdi unit, 6,ooo baht new so was reluctant to order without knowing it was definitely the problem

kelvin had another boss in the workshop which he is doing up so took the unit out of that and put it in my bike, started fine, ran around all day, then wouldn't start in the evening, glad i never bought the new one

his lad then took readings on the meter from the other bike and compared them to mine, generator showing a problem, swapped the electrical part on the stator with one from a yamaha and it has run a treat since, fingers crossed

i actually think that that it was damaged when they stripped it down at mityon, khao talo, then 3 days later said we don't know what the problem is , sorry

the degree of service at kelvins place is top notch, he was not letting it beat him, simple as that, his son does the actual work because of the work permit situation but he has had a lot of training as well as having dads expertise to call on, oh by the way thai prices, not farang, peanuts really

so the place to go is opposite P J s bar and restaurant at the top end of khao noi, you wont be disappointed, many thanks to the guy who recommended him, cheers everyone

hi all, finally solved the problem of my kawasaki boss which had problems starting, tried the obvious first, gas, stripped the carb, checked the needle etc, then looked at ignition, had already bought a new coil which took 8 days to arrive from bangkok, not the problem, next was the cdi unit, 6,ooo baht new so was reluctant to order without knowing it was definitely the problem

kelvin had another boss in the workshop which he is doing up so took the unit out of that and put it in my bike, started fine, ran around all day, then wouldn't start in the evening, glad i never bought the new one

his lad then took readings on the meter from the other bike and compared them to mine, generator showing a problem, swapped the electrical part on the stator with one from a yamaha and it has run a treat since, fingers crossed

i actually think that that it was damaged when they stripped it down at mityon, khao talo, then 3 days later said we don't know what the problem is , sorry

the degree of service at kelvins place is top notch, he was not letting it beat him, simple as that, his son does the actual work because of the work permit situation but he has had a lot of training as well as having dads expertise to call on, oh by the way thai prices, not farang, peanuts really

so the place to go is opposite P J s bar and restaurant at the top end of khao noi, you wont be disappointed, many thanks to the guy who recommended him, cheers everyone

There is also a (smog type valve) that is under your right side cover(access point) that was most likely overlooked.

The part exchanges the air circulation for the exhaust system. My boss was having the same irritating problem. It was 150 baht to fix. another 100 for cleaning the air filter as gas puddles up in the filter box when it does not start properly.Always check your fuel first then the electrical.

There is also a (smog type valve) that is under your right side cover(access point) that was most likely overlooked.

The part exchanges the air circulation for the exhaust system. My boss was having the same irritating problem. It was 150 baht to fix. another 100 for cleaning the air filter as gas puddles up in the filter box when it does not start properly.Always check your fuel first then the electrical.

Hi beardog, really interested in your reply. Looked at my Boss but not sure which cover you mean, can you describe it in the minutest detail as if I was sat on the bike. Your help is much appreciated.

Hi beardog, really interested in your reply. Looked at my Boss but not sure which cover you mean, can you describe it in the minutest detail as if I was sat on the bike. Your help is much appreciated.

The part is located almost directly parallel to the horn. if you or the mechanic take off the 2 side covers & remove the electric pack off the left side(easy) & remove the right side cover as well you can gain easy access. Most bikes have the smog device.

It is a very overlooked part & definitively affects the bikes prefomance!

:)

The part is located almost directly parallel to the horn. if you or the mechanic take off the 2 side covers & remove the electric pack off the left side(easy) & remove the right side cover as well you can gain easy access. Most bikes have the smog device.

hi beardog, found the valve, like a little plastic bulb like you find on a pipette, only bigger, full of gung that had dried and flaked, made a difference to performance once cleaned as the bike wouldnt start at first, but once it starts it definetly runs better, many thank for your help on this matter, its appreciated

hi beardog, found the valve, like a little plastic bulb like you find on a pipette, only bigger, full of gung that had dried and flaked, made a difference to performance once cleaned as the bike wouldnt start at first, but once it starts it definetly runs better, many thank for your help on this matter, its appreciated

Glad the info helped out!

• 9 months later...

hmmmmm high quality and thai mechanic dont go hand in hand but lots of people use Road machine in 3rd road for repairs but for a project then Samart on Threprasit rd is ok for mainly chopper projects ...both speak ok english.

hmmmmm high quality and thai mechanic dont go hand in hand but lots of people use Road machine in 3rd road for repairs but for a project then Samart on Threprasit rd is ok for mainly chopper projects ...both speak ok english.

Samart on Theppasit, guess this would be SV Motorcycles, called in their yesterday, there was only 1 guy there, who must have been in a state of deep meditation, though moving around relatively fluidly, he was unable to notice my presence! So many business here lack any sort of customer skills........... :)

Edited by CGW