Taking Of The Pelham

bojo

For those that have not downloaded or watched on DVD the 21st Century version of The Taking of The Pelham 123, it premieres today in Chiang Mai and is worth heading out to the cinema for. Tony Scott is back directing with Denzel Washington a few years after partnering up in Man on Fire.(What a film).

As ever, Washington's delivery is faultless, with a well cast Tony Soprano as NY mayor and John Travolta, almost unrecognisable for the first 5 minutes,plays tough throughout.

Direction was OK, but difficult to live up to Man on Fire standards in comparison. The plot is well known and thankfully there we're only a smattering of action sequences.

I can't remeber the 70's version or the cast for that matter. Any thoughts or comparisons with the older version?

Regards Bojo

"Tony Soprono" ? There is no such person.

His real name is James Gandolphini. A Vespa owner, I might add. ( yeah, I know..he wrecked it and his elbow too)

Thanks, I was aware, just everyone knows him as Tony Soprano, more of a ring to it. Might have known he was a mod.

Regards Bojo

All I remember is the bloke sneezing at the end and getting caught.

Iain

Martin Balsam was the actor. The serious movie ends with a bit of comedic facial by the lovable Walter Matthau. It's been a while since I saw the movie but remember it as being quite good.

Tony Scott is back directing with Denzel Washington a few years after partnering up in Man on Fire.(What a film). <snip> Direction was OK, but difficult to live up to Man on Fire standards in comparison.

I thought "Man on Fire" was a bit lame, but the difference could well be that I read the book first ... if there was ever a good example of a film not doing justice to the book then this is one.

If you are going to review a film, at least get the title right :) Presonally I prefered the 1974 version with Walter Matthau; a much more earthy and believable presentation.

Well, it wasn't supposed to be a serious review, I'll leave that to the professionals, it's just a fun post. Where did I go wrong with the title by the way?

Regards Bojo

If you are going to review a film, at least get the title right :D Presonally I prefered the 1974 version with Walter Matthau; a much more earthy and believable presentation.

Well, it wasn't supposed to be a serious review, I'll leave that to the professionals, it's just a fun post. Where did I go wrong with the title by the way?

Regards Bojo

Please don't get me wrong, I wasn't knocking your review, just the title.......

For those that have not downloaded or watched on DVD the 21st Century version of The Taking of The Pelham 123

It should read "The Taking of Pelham 123" but I'm just pedantic :)

If you are going to review a film, at least get the title right :D Presonally I prefered the 1974 version with Walter Matthau; a much more earthy and believable presentation.

Regards Bojo

Please don't get me wrong, I wasn't knocking your review, just the title.......

For those that have not downloaded or watched on DVD the 21st Century version of The Taking of The Pelham 123

It should read "The Taking of Pelham 123" but I'm just pedantic :)

I didn't, and I enjoy feedback, positive, negative or indifferent. let the posts roll.

regards bojo