Bringing Road Bike To Thailand

Hi everybody,

I am thinking about taking one of my road bikes to Thailand with me. If I arrive at the airport with my bike in a bike box and tell them (if stopped) I am on a cycling holiday this time, what is the likelihood, that they will check that I have the bike with me when I leave in a month’s time ? No problem with airline weights I get 46 kilo’s with Emirates being gold with them.

Are there any road cyclists out there ? I am an ex time trialist (competed in the Scottish bar) long time ago and dabbled occasionally in road races (not very good). I spend about four months of the year in Thailand spread over five separate visits. I am situated up in Nakhon Phanom where I rent a house with my Thai wife..

The roads around Nakhon Phanom are traffic free but also fairly flat. The only decent climb close to Nakhon Phanom is the Phu Pan mountain on the road between Sakhon Nakhon and Kalasin, which I will try if I get my bike to Thailand. Has anybody done the climb to Doi Suthep in Chiang Mai, I holidayed there a couple of years ago and thought it would be a good testing climb to try out sometime in the future.

I have never cycled in the heat and humidity that you get in Thailand, any pointers to surviving the conditions and travelling with the bike would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

Mr Conrad :)

No problems bringing a bike in and never taking it out again. I brought 3 and was never questioned. But I've never noted it on a customs declaration that I was bringing a bike. To the best of my knowledge, none of my friends have ever been questioned either.

There are lots of serious road riders here in Chiang Mai. We had 30+ on our 100+km ride today. I hope you meet some by you. If you're ever in CM, drop me a note.

As for Doi Suthep, dozens of riders do the climb every day.

Hi everybody,

I am thinking about taking one of my road bikes to Thailand with me. If I arrive at the airport with my bike in a bike box and tell them (if stopped) I am on a cycling holiday this time, what is the likelihood, that they will check that I have the bike with me when I leave in a month’s time ? No problem with airline weights I get 46 kilo’s with Emirates being gold with them.

Are there any road cyclists out there ? I am an ex time trialist (competed in the Scottish bar) long time ago and dabbled occasionally in road races (not very good). I spend about four months of the year in Thailand spread over five separate visits. I am situated up in Nakhon Phanom where I rent a house with my Thai wife..

The roads around Nakhon Phanom are traffic free but also fairly flat. The only decent climb close to Nakhon Phanom is the Phu Pan mountain on the road between Sakhon Nakhon and Kalasin, which I will try if I get my bike to Thailand. Has anybody done the climb to Doi Suthep in Chiang Mai, I holidayed there a couple of years ago and thought it would be a good testing climb to try out sometime in the future.

I have never cycled in the heat and humidity that you get in Thailand, any pointers to surviving the conditions and travelling with the bike would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

Mr Conrad :)

I came back from NZ last week - Thai Air - and brought my bike this time; TA were great, counted it as part of overall weight allowance and it was on same planes as me Auckland-Phuket for free.

As for packaging - I removed pedals, double-thickness bubble wrapped frame, put wheels either side of frame and another 2 layers bubble wrap; for a 57cm frame it actually looked quite small, was easy to carry and identifiable as a bike 'fragile'. I carried pedals, shoes, toolkit etc with me as carry-on luggage.

On arrival at Phuket I was simply asked was the bike new, i said no, and they let me through, no forms or record of me bringing it in. I'm here a year and doubt will take it back with me.

Happy cycling!

Hi thanks for the replies and the links, much appreciated.

Looks like Chiang Mai is the place for road cycling in Thailand, 30 or so roadies out together is a good sized bunch. The link supplied has good info, the hill profiles around Chiang Mai look scary to say the least when combined with the heat and humidity, thanks again.

Looks as if bringing the bike will not be a problem. I hope to take my bike with me either next month, or when I come again in November. I think I will purchase a rigid bike box here (UK), hoping that it will offer the best protection available.

There is a group of cyclist in Nakhon Phanom, they meet beside the cargo ferry to Lao on the Mekong River Bank. I normally see them early in the morning and again at about four or five PM, not sure if they are the same group or a different bunch. It looks like they are mostly mountain bikers, with one or two roadies mixed in. Hopefully I can tag along with them for some company when I get going.

el jefe wrote

If you're ever in CM, drop me a note.

Thanks for that, no plans in the immediate future to visit Chiang Mai, we had a holiday on my last visit to Bangkok and Pattaya to visit some friends.

Thanks again for your replies.

Happy Cycling :)

Best Regards

Mr Conrad

There's plenty of flat riding too, here in CM.

btw, here's the comprehensive website about flying with a bike with details for about 50 airlines. If you're flying with a bike it pays to check before you buy your ticket:

http://www.ibike.org/encouragement/travel/bagregs.htm

Hi thanks for the replies and the links, much appreciated.

Looks like Chiang Mai is the place for road cycling in Thailand, 30 or so roadies out together is a good sized bunch. The link supplied has good info, the hill profiles around Chiang Mai look scary to say the least when combined with the heat and humidity, thanks again.

Looks as if bringing the bike will not be a problem. I hope to take my bike with me either next month, or when I come again in November. I think I will purchase a rigid bike box here (UK), hoping that it will offer the best protection available.

There is a group of cyclist in Nakhon Phanom, they meet beside the cargo ferry to Lao on the Mekong River Bank. I normally see them early in the morning and again at about four or five PM, not sure if they are the same group or a different bunch. It looks like they are mostly mountain bikers, with one or two roadies mixed in. Hopefully I can tag along with them for some company when I get going.

el jefe wrote

If you're ever in CM, drop me a note.

Thanks for that, no plans in the immediate future to visit Chiang Mai, we had a holiday on my last visit to Bangkok and Pattaya to visit some friends.

Thanks again for your replies.

Happy Cycling :)

Best Regards

Mr Conrad

• 1 month later...

Hi Mr C

Curious about your tyre choice for riding here, any advice welcome - I've just had to replace a pair of Specialized Armadillo All Condition Elites 700/23 - I have not had such a good tyre before, rear was starting to peel and had to go, but I have never had a puncture, despite the best efforts of local unsealed roads, surprise potholes on my dog-dodging rides etc.

Unfortunately have been unable to replace here and will no doubt be swapping tubes on a regaluar basis any time soon.

If anyone knows where I can source them - or any other similar tyre - much appreciated; have a friend visiting in November she'll bring a pair over if needed.

Happy and safe riding!

genghis61 wrote

Hi Mr C

Curious about your tyre choice for riding here, any advice welcome

Hi,

As per my original post I have still not brought my road bike with me yet. I had hoped to do so when I come again in November but my internal UK flight has been re-scheduled leaving me with a tight connecting time, so might leave it until my January visit.

My tyre choice will what is on the bike just now Michelin Pro Race Three, have nearly always used Michelin tyres in the UK they have served me well there over the years. Hope they hold up well in Thailand, I hope to find out sooner rather than later.

Best Regards

Mr Conrad

• 2 months later...
genghis61 wrote
Hi Mr C

Curious about your tyre choice for riding here, any advice welcome

Hi,

As per my original post I have still not brought my road bike with me yet. I had hoped to do so when I come again in November but my internal UK flight has been re-scheduled leaving me with a tight connecting time, so might leave it until my January visit.

My tyre choice will what is on the bike just now Michelin Pro Race Three, have nearly always used Michelin tyres in the UK they have served me well there over the years. Hope they hold up well in Thailand, I hope to find out sooner rather than later.

Best Regards

Mr Conrad

As you may yet not have arrived with bike I thought I'd post.

I bring in / out abike regularly with Emirtaes and have no problem at all. They are particularly good at it.

Bring spare tyres as the roads will shred them depending on how much you ride. I've had every kind of puncture here including damaged tyres that made it unrideable so if you do end up in the back of beyond carry a spare tyre as well.

Drink loads. Most don't. You need to. Hydrate the night before and drink before you feel thirsty. Also eat. Most don't.

Alternate bare arms with sleeved. you'll get used to it but the sun is unforgiving. Total sun screen block out is also wise. Add some ID; emergency contact number of kin and hospital. Also, money. Enough to tempt someone to help you knowing you can pay them.

Learn the the routes [ photos and notes] and stick the missus on the motorbike with spare bottles and wheels [ if you're organised ] then you can switch off and just ride.

There is some racing available and the CM contact should be able to clue you in. Make no mistake - it's not the UK and there are some really good 'international' riders out here who'll kick your ass. Then there's the Thais themselves.

And also, bring your old unwanted gear and give it to the Thais - they'll put it to good use.

Good Luck.

Hi brasseye,

Thanks for the advice, your right I still haven't taken one of my bikes here yet.

Good to know that Emirates are adapt in carry bikes. I have no plans to race or compete in any form once I get my bike here, maybe 15 years or so ago. My cycling these days is purely for fitness and pleasure, although the fitness side is also disappearing fast as well !!

Will take on-board your advice about the tyres and hydration. The wife with our pick-up truck will be the get out clause if I'm stranded in the back of beyond.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Best Regards

Mr Conrad