Organic 'has No Health Benefits'

Taggart

Would have to agree with the organic side of things.............it's the chemicals that are used on produce these days which scare me. Also one of the best wines I have ever tasted was a French Burgundy from Mdme Leroy, produced from her "bio dynamique" vineyard (uses natural fertilisers, grow plants which attract the good bugs to eat the bad ones etc, as well as other aspects) which shows you don't need these chemicals to produce a good outcome.

Organic produce has caught on because people are sick and tired of ingesting unknown chemicals in the food they eat, and the damage these chemical do to the land and natural order of things.

word has it they damage the environment (organics i mean) as well with a much higher energy footprint than non organics

I guess it depends from which side one is on. After watching two DVD's last week, "The Future of Food" and "How To Save The World", it seems to me the pro-organics are saying it's the chemical and bio-tech corporations that are doing the damage to the environment. I'm trying my best to stay neutral on the subject, but after watching these two films, it's extremely difficult.

word has it they damage the environment (organics i mean) as well with a much higher energy footprint than non organics

Probably true because 'industrial' agriculture has huge economies of scale. Pesticides and fertilisers definitely *do* reduce crop losses and increase productivity which means higher efficiency. But pesticides kill wildlife (especially fish and aquatic animals). What's the greater evil?

Personally I prefer intensive industrial agriculture. The more food we can grow per unit area the less land we have to screw up with farms. But if you're more concerned about your own health (dam_n the environment!) you might think differently.

For years, organic food devotees have been claiming that organic produce tastes better and is more nutricious than non-organic. Both of these things have proven to be lies.

Now they are claiming that these things are not the point. :)

Organics definitely do have advantages, but it's not the be all and end all. I think much of the difference comes from organics tending to be grown in smaller operations, and getting better care. I buy organic when I can, but local (fresh) food will always be first choice over organics trucked in from far away.

Other organic products:

Crude oil

Hemlock

Cobra venom

Arsenic

:)

I'm certainly not an organic "purist", but usually when I see it, I have a tendency to buy it here in Canada. Now, that I'm near 60, I'm more careful about what goes into my mouth. That doesn't mean I'm a perfect eater, because sometimes I falter. Last night I watched a movie, borrowed from the local library, called "Supersize Me". I appreciate films like this where these directors and authors are questioning our "food supply", and reminding us that we're being manipulated by the large conglomerates. Their budgets are huge, for both advertising and government arm twisting. From what I've seen in the smaller grocery stores and the large supermarkets, organics is still a very small percentage of the food system, and unless people question more, about what they're eating, it will probably remain so.

For years, organic food devotees have been claiming that organic produce tastes better and is more nutricious than non-organic. Both of these things have proven to be lies.

Now they are claiming that these things are not the point. :)

Most organic food does taste better! As for nutrition, organic foods need to be washed, non-organic needs to be peeled. Another problem with this reporting was the use of 'normal' when referring to non-organic. Surely organic is normal!

Last night I watched a movie, borrowed from the local library, called "Supersize Me". I appreciate films like this where these directors and authors are questioning our "food supply", and reminding us that we're being manipulated by the large conglomerates.

"Supersize Me" was manipulating you as much as any large conglomerates.

The guy was a regular exerciser, but he stopped when he was eating at McDonald's. Why? Of course he gained weight. Anyone who exercises every day and suddenly stops probably will.

The other trick he used to make sure that he gained weight was eating more than he wanted to every time a McD's worker asked him if he wanted to "Supersize". He totally stopped excercising and purposely stuffed himself. He would have gained weight even on a vegetaian diet.

The experiment has been replicated while exercising and no stuffing and many subjects actually lost weight. "Supersize Me" was nothing but a big lie!