Internet Connection

jimbeam1

Hi All,

I am still looking for an alternative to TOT ipstar. I was in the Mall (Korat) yesterday and was shown an Phone one 3GE500 hsdpa modem. Does anyone have any updated info of this system or have any experience of it? ie does it have nationwide coverage yet. As this does look to be an viable option? I have looked into the possibility of CAT cdma. But cannot get a signal in my area, so they tell me! The only info I can find on TV, is from the beginning of 2008. Would be grateful of any help. Cheers

jb1

Hi All,

I am still looking for an alternative to TOT ipstar. I was in the Mall (Korat) yesterday and was shown an Phone one 3GE500 hsdpa modem. Does anyone have any updated info of this system or have any experience of it? ie does it have nationwide coverage yet. As this does look to be an viable option? I have looked into the possibility of CAT cdma. But cannot get a signal in my area, so they tell me! The only info I can find on TV, is from the beginning of 2008. Would be grateful of any help. Cheers

jb1

Hi, as far as I am aware the only current location's where 3G is in use / under test , are in Bangkok and Chiang Mai , I am not an expert on this subject -- so hopefully some one else can step in with a bit more info.

TL :)

Hi All,

jb1

Hi, as far as I am aware the only current location's where 3G is in use / under test , are in Bangkok and Chiang Mai , I am not an expert on this subject -- so hopefully some one else can step in with a bit more info.

BKK True, AIS has a small trial in Chiangmai ( i believe 900 Mhz ). AIS will not roll out until they get the desired frequency ( 900 is not desired for 3G ).

I use 3G alot in down town bangkok, love it, but unless you live smack on the main road on Sukhumvit, or a few other area's where its available ...... forget it. Not sure True can or wil roll out in other places ( licensing )

There wont be nationwide roll outs for a looooooong time until the full license come out which has been a real joke ( NTC ) (short answer is - when the NTC / govt get off their butt, and provide licenses as is the case in Vietnam / Malaysia and other countries in the regions - you will see 3G service in the bigger cities / towns( not in the country side for a long long time i believe ))

Edited by skippybangkok

Hi All,

jb1

BKK True, AIS has a small trial in Chiangmai ( i believe 900 Mhz ). AIS will not roll out until they get the desired frequency ( 900 is not desired for 3G ).

I use 3G alot in down town bangkok, love it, but unless you live smack on the main road on Sukhumvit, or a few other area's where its available ...... forget it. Not sure True can or wil roll out in other places ( licensing )

There wont be nationwide roll outs for a looooooong time until the full license come out which has been a real joke ( NTC ) (short answer is - when the NTC / govt get off their butt, and provide licenses as is the case in Vietnam / Malaysia and other countries in the regions - you will see 3G service in the bigger cities / towns( not in the country side for a long long time i believe ))

Hi, I wonder why the OP , was given info on 3G when he lives in the Nakhonratchsima area .

TL :D

Hi All,

jb1

Hi, I wonder why the OP , was given info on 3G when he lives in the Nakhonratchsima area .

TL :D

Yes curious that thailife. As it was not a sales pitch, from the phne shop in the Mall (Korat) But from someone from AIS. They asked me if I had my laptop with me. When I told them that I did, I was told to go and buy the 3ge500 modem (Which the shop had in stock) and they would talk me through the installation?????? I thought better to try and get more info first.

Cheers jb1

Forget about a 3G modem, unless you can pick up one of these. Otherwise a USB EDGE modem is likely all you'll need.

Then you can try connecting with different SIMs. Starting with TRUE as they are the cheapest at 250 baht per month, then DTAC, then AIS.

Expect download speeds of around 20kB/s on EDGE.