Bangkok Jaywalkers Subject Of Police Blitz

george

471 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<deleted>?

Hey, I have some yard work over here I need to get done, and a concrete slab I need broken up...why don't you head on over and take care of it? I'm sure you will appreciate the exercise and welcome it. That's called sarcasm.

Firstly, I doubt you can afford my hourly rate, I'm not cheap.

Secondly, Do you supply a work permit with that employment opportunity.

Thirdly, Hasnt anyone ever told you that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit :)

Could anyone give a description of what constitutes jaywalking acording to this laws? Is it any road crossing not on a traffic light, pedestrian cross or bridge? or just reckless behaviour when crossing a road with traffic on it?

Back when I lived in Udomsuk road there where no traffic lights or crossings between Sri Nakarin and Sukhumvit road, that's about four kilometers worth of busy road. How about first they implement crossings and traffic lights in sensible areas and intervals and then fine the people that don't use them?

<deleted>?

Hey, I have some yard work over here I need to get done, and a concrete slab I need broken up...why don't you head on over and take care of it? I'm sure you will appreciate the exercise and welcome it. That's called sarcasm.

Harsh, but funny!! :D

Crossovers An alternative yet sometimes very dangerous bridge used for safety in Thailand in hopes of staying alive by avoiding a designated crosswalk where the percentages of living are even lower. Don’t worry about those hot wires dangling down and hanging over the metal rail, never mind that not all risers are exactly the same height. This method of crossing the street does carry a warning. Warning do not use under the influence of alcohol .

Most people use this type of path because using a designated crosswalk even when in front of a police box with five policeman inside never stops the Black Mercedes from plowing through the white lines on a red light if the mood so strikes them, actually to be fare all vehicles in this case us the cross walk as a sure bet to meet they’re quota on hit and runs. I think some of these drivers just drive around all day long just looking for someone to hit. .

Crosswalks: You’ve heard the old cliché “only the strong will survive” Using a crosswalk here in Thailand is like living in the wild. You ever see that show Wild Kingdom” on National Geographic’s were all the water buffalo try to cross the river only to get eaten by alligators.. To some extent it is relative if you’re living in the crosswalks of Thailand. Don’t cross when you’re ill or after leaving the dentist never try to cross when you first wake up. You must have a clear head about you. Here in Thailand the same rules apply. This system is set up to weed out the weak that’s all the fee that has recently implemented is to weed out the foreigners while using the funds to bury the fallen ones…it’s all a conspiracy I am telling you.

Conspiracy theory and Police Boxes:

This was all planned along time ago hence the police boxes on every busy corner generally in the middle of a footpath not forgetting Phone Boxes forcing the pedestrians to walk around them by stepping into an already congested and very busy road where rules don’t apply when it comes to pedestrians thus making it possible to weed out the population. Now for the new rule. well that is easy with the police boxes in the middle of the foot path force foreigners to walk around and risk not only they're lives but unbenounced to them a ticket now. The clever thing is ..the police can oversee them getting hit bar a vehical if not they ticket (look at as a toll bridge) swiftly issue the tourist fines usually not exceeding 1000 baht unless you wake up one morning with an attitude like the American Professor Gates, then you will find yourself in deep shit. Because most likely your not lucky enough to have been born black or Thai so Obama won’t come to your rescue by calling the Thai police stupid.. OOPS! :):D

Edited by george

<deleted>?

Harsh, but funny!! :D

& you suddenly expected me to change my style? :D

I thought they were also supposed to be targetting motorists who fail to stop for pedestrians on a Marked Crossing - what happened to that one?

A good idea would be the installation of cameras catching those drivers running a read light and charge them something like 3.000 THB for each breach.

The costs of the cameras would be earned in one single day. With the money earned, zebra crossings with traffic lights could be installed, where pedestrians could press a button and wait for the green light to pass. Also here cameras must be installed, to be able to fine those breaching the law.

These measurements would definitely bring in more money than any other action, and be probably one step forward to reduce the incredible death toll of 18.000 p.a. on the roads of Thailand.

I agree on all the above,the only problem being it's too logical.

"First men, then machine." - Soichiro Honda

It seems to me, that the Thai government really does not understand how to address traffic and other problems in a professional manner. :)

If they do pull you perhaps do the same as what I used to do when driving my car on the express way and would get pulled. When they ask for the "fine" say, ok, let's go to the station and I'll pay there which often in my experience results in the issue dissolving into the background pollution...

ASK a cop to take you to the station!?

you SURE about this one???

I wonder if the BiB will be issuing tickets for people walking down the street because the sidewalk is full of tables, chairs, motor bikes parked, motor bikes taking a short cut, chickens , tailors, noodle stalls, etc, etc. ad nauseum?

Yes I've jaywalked and also whilst on the sidewalks dodged moving motorcycles, cars and elephants. :)

I thought they were also supposed to be targetting motorists who fail to stop for pedestrians on a Marked Crossing - what happened to that one?

---------------------------------------

Are you sure that is against the law???????????? In isaan I know that there is nothing saying that I must stop for

pedestrians on a Marked Crossing.

Anyhow.... I am happy if they will enforce to 100% and fine these guys xxxxxx

Glegolo

crossing a crosswalk in Bangkok is one of the most frightening experiences I ever faced in Thailand.

Its life threatening!

Walking the X you become the target... and the bullets are the cars + motocy!

To proof this I recommend a walk down Asoke between Sukhumvit and Rama 9!

Pedestrians are running for their life using the X even on crossings where stop/go traffic light are installed.

BTW some of these traffic lights never work...

99 % of all cars IGNORE that red light and don't stop. Have you ever seen a car will stop for a pedestrian?

I've seen older people waiting 10/20 minutes until they could cross a street - even on a X-crossing.

I always help them otherwise they would still be there and wait to cross

Cars and motocy even don't stop if the cop is nearby! To be seen daily in BKK's morning rush.

People cross where it is safe to cross and that results in jay walking!

I have finished my rant!

Edited by webfact

---------------------------------------

Are you sure that is against the law???????????? In isaan I know that there is nothing saying that I must stop for

pedestrians on a Marked Crossing.

Anyhow.... I am happy if they will enforce to 100% and fine these guys XXXXX

Glegolo

Dear Glegolo,

This is NOT a death threat.

<deleted> are you talking about, this thread is about Jay walking.

Jay Walking is defined as follows:

It refers to a person specifically a pedestrian who walks on the street or crosses the street without following any traffic rules like not walking on corners or footpaths, not crossing roads on cross walks or ignoring the signal lights.

Edited by Crossy
Edited the quoted test and the reply to the flame. Crossy

so where exactly is there a 'legal' crossing on Silom road..... I'd like to know, especially coming from Soi Convent.

This is just another tactic to make us all yearn for the good old days when we were governed by Mr. T.

I would be interested in hearing what people living in Thailand would like to see changed in the Constitution? What kinds of changes are necessary and what needs to be removed?
In order to get their priorities right, they should start arresting their "own" first for demanding bribes. When Thaksin still was in charge of a certain TV station we had daily shows where policemen were caught red handed taking bribes. Now all tv stations are safely in the hands of the royalists and the army even CNN kisses the bud of these stations by not reporting on certain cases which are too "sensitive". So it is just another way to make money, my advice, put them all on candid camera!

Shows how much you know about Taksin when he was a cop in Phuket he was a bad as they get !

With so many people (especially)Farangs,Littering around, inside Internet,there should be 10.000 bath fines and even Jail 4 a month or so. :D . :)

Wow! let me see....they're are over 62million Thais in this country and I would guess not one of them know how to chew with they're mouth closed or throw trash in its proper place unless you consider the lakes rivers, streams streets front yard back yard a waste basket. Just take a look at the beaches that the thais hang out at..it's like they think someone will misteriously go behind them and pick up they're crap. I have a major problem with all the trash and glass bottles in the water on the beach everywhere while me and my son go on the weekends to pick up the trash the Thais just stand there and laugh at us. Surprising that the fisherman are extremly bad. You would think they would be totally up set but they are part of the problem. They dump bottles of oil gas and chemicals in the waters :D This is one one of several things THais don't get, infact go look at any condo or new house that has an open field next to it and the thais will throw they're trash off the back porch not once or twice but everytime they have a full trash can even though the pile starts to get as high as the wall they JUST DON"T CARE and yes I know it's they're countryand I am not complianing about itjust pointing out a fact. What your trying to say is that the farangs are dirty..may be you should look to see if there is a trash can at that internet store....most likely not, because this is not something Thais typically offer in addition too never having soap at the schools for the children to wash there hands. :D again It your country not mine so do with it as you please

With so many people (especially)Farangs,Littering around, inside Internet,there should be 10.000 bath fines and even Jail 4 a month or so. :D . :)

Yeah eagle i agree :D

Well,u sure u know what u talking about,me i think circumambulate,do"moonwalk" and littertalk is a 90% human behavior.Am not in that category but i have to accept that it is a Is.Kind of a killing time issue,By the "way" killing time is not my go.Frankly :D .. :D .Take care Bro

With so many people (especially)Farangs,Littering around, inside Internet,there should be 10.000 bath fines and even Jail 4 a month or so. :D . :D

Well,u sure u know what u talking about,me i think circumambulate,do"moonwalk" and littertalk is a 90% human behavior.Am not in that category but i have to accept that it is a Is.Kind of a killing time issue,By the "way" killing time is not my go.Frankly :D .. :D .Take care Bro

Your on the hattrick norwayeagle.....you've already quoted urself twice in a row, how bout three times :)

Wow! let me see....they're are over 62million Thais in this country and I would guess not one of them know how to chew with they're mouth closed or throw trash in its proper place unless you consider the lakes rivers, streams streets front yard back yard a waste basket. Just take a look at the beaches that the thais hang out at..it's like they think someone will misteriously go behind them and pick up they're crap. I have a major problem with all the trash and glass bottles in the water on the beach everywhere while me and my son go on the weekends to pick up the trash the Thais just stand there and laugh at us. Surprising that the fisherman are extremly bad. You would think they would be totally up set but they are part of the problem. They dump bottles of oil gas and chemicals in the waters :D This is one one of several things THais don't get, infact go look at any condo or new house that has an open field next to it and the thais will throw they're trash off the back porch not once or twice but everytime they have a full trash can even though the pile starts to get as high as the wall they JUST DON"T CARE and yes I know it's they're countryand I am not complianing about itjust pointing out a fact. What your trying to say is that the farangs are dirty..may be you should look to see if there is a trash can at that internet store....most likely not, because this is not something Thais typically offer in addition too never having soap at the schools for the children to wash there hands. :D again It your country not mine so do with it as you please

Hehe.My "lure" caught u.Of course i see the same as u,n i agree on that.,Sorry u didnt get my "drift" :D

With so many people (especially)Farangs,Littering around, inside Internet,there should be 10.000 bath fines and even Jail 4 a month or so. :D . :D

Well,u sure u know what u talking about,me i think circumambulate,do"moonwalk" and littertalk is a 90% human behavior.Am not in that category but i have to accept that it is a Is.Kind of a killing time issue,By the "way" killing time is not my go.Frankly :P .. :D .Take care Bro

Your on the hattrick norwayeagle.....you've already quoted urself twice in a row, how bout three times :D

Yeah me HT man.3 times Hehe me? Nooo :) My Lure got "fish" now :D .Take care :D

I think it is more dangerous in Thailand to use a crossing to cross the Road, the traffic does not stop unless you walk and keep going, so they literally have do break hard. I recently returned from a Trip to Singapore, the Crossroads crossings were excellent and everyone used them because they were very safe, a lot safer than Thailand's.

As for the Cigarette butts, where really are we supposed to put them? are we supposed to put them in our pocket until we see a bin or ash tray? I am scared of even putting one in the gutter now. I always give mine to my Thai partner as i doubt they are out to fine him.

Are Cigarette butts allowed to be thrown into the gutter? does anyone know?

Cigarette butts should not be thrown in the gutters as it will start a fire with all the trash in there. :)

More "income" is rolling in... and this "law" will be exploited merciless to the fullest extend

Foreigners are the main target... MHO

think before you speak,,,,arent foreigners teaching the thai police to introduce these measures? smoking bann in pubs and the like? trying to bring our own traffic and litter laws to thailand....think the krauts started it years ago then britain came under eec,,we are getting hit daily with parking ,speeding tickets and fines ...now thailand....

Hehe.My "lure" caught u.Of course i see the same as u,n i agree on that.,Sorry u didnt get my "drift" :D

if u dont like it you can allways go back home to whever you came from...i wouldnt think u will be sadly missed..

More "income" is rolling in... and this "law" will be exploited merciless to the fullest extend

Foreigners are the main target... MHO

Maybe someone in the Government, that REALLY had a brain in his head should INVENT ROAD RULES FIRST for Thai Drivers,and educate them on WHAT a Pedestrian crossing is for and how MOST of the civilized world STOPS for Pedestrians , and not try to run them down, then get the DAMM MOTORCYCLES OFF THE FOOTPATHS, I think think the police could become millionaires if they did that.

Cold181 (and the others of like mind), I agree with you 3 million percent about the wretched motorcyclists on the pavements. It's a health hazard walking along the 'pavements' (if we can dignify the higgledy-piggledy, pot-holed, often non-existent footpaths in BKK with the name of 'pavements'). These motorcyclists make me constantly tense and on edge when I am walking along the sidewalks. They shoot past one's ankles most unexpectedly. They just pop up from everywhere and anywhere, at any time - and the police do nothing about them. I have developed a trick now which works quite well: when I am walking along a Bangkok pavement, I always carry an umbrella (furled up) or walking cane and extend it to the side of my body at a right-angle as I walk along, so that the ubiquitous motorcyclists are blocked from passing me on that side and are discouraged from shooting past. It works! I recommend this method. At least now I can walk along with one side of my body safeguarded from the fiendish motorcyclists. Maybe I should carry two umbrellas - just to protect both sides of my body! And you are all right about the laughable pedestrian crossings here: the drivers stop if they want to (which means never)!

Wow! let me see....they're are over 62million Thais in this country and I would guess not one of them know how to chew with they're mouth closed or throw trash in its proper place unless you consider the lakes rivers, streams streets front yard back yard a waste basket. Just take a look at the beaches that the thais hang out at..it's like they think someone will misteriously go behind them and pick up they're crap. I have a major problem with all the trash and glass bottles in the water on the beach everywhere while me and my son go on the weekends to pick up the trash the Thais just stand there and laugh at us. Surprising that the fisherman are extremly bad. You would think they would be totally up set but they are part of the problem. They dump bottles of oil gas and chemicals in the waters :D This is one one of several things THais don't get, infact go look at any condo or new house that has an open field next to it and the thais will throw they're trash off the back porch not once or twice but everytime they have a full trash can even though the pile starts to get as high as the wall they JUST DON"T CARE and yes I know it's they're countryand I am not complianing about itjust pointing out a fact. What your trying to say is that the farangs are dirty..may be you should look to see if there is a trash can at that internet store....most likely not, because this is not something Thais typically offer in addition too never having soap at the schools for the children to wash there hands. :P again It your country not mine so do with it as you please

if u dont like it you can allways go back home to whever you came from...i wouldnt think u will be sadly missed..

Thank u very much 4 that littering words,,,,,DMAX :D .Same same. :) By the way am "Home" now,and am doing FINE :D And all my friends Love me the way i am :D