Bangkok Jaywalkers Subject Of Police Blitz

george

471 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What will we be charged for next in Thailand?!...

BREATHING 200฿ :)

EXHALING 400฿

with overstay fine of 50฿ for every second you hold it in over 5 seconds.

Farang Fines

BREATHING 2000฿

EXHALING 4000฿

...how about a fine or bribe for bribing a police officer? That definitely shoud be taken in consideration. Or the installment of a Hotline for farangs to pay by phone (dial -1 for fines, dial-2 for bribes, dial 3 to pay both)? Operators are standing by, have your credit card at the ready!!

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes good commercial sense to me. With the falling number of tourisits coming to Thailand, the Police will need a wider range of 'offences' to maintain their income from fewer people.

I saw six police bikes riding down Khao sahn road this afternoon in just 10 minutes.

Im all for the j walking tickets if you drive in this city you will agree its a good idea, and get real guys it isnt all about farang there arent enough of us to matter much. I drive from cental world every day home and its insane the ammount of thais that will just walk out into traffic... Try that in any other major city, and see if the drivers dont try and hit you just to prove a point,,,, NYC busses come to mind,

Jay Walking is defined as follows:

It refers to a person specifically a pedestrian who walks on the street or crosses the street without following any traffic rules like not walking on corners or footpaths, not crossing roads on cross walks or ignoring the signal lights.

So what is the rule about using pedestrian crossings? How far is one expected to go out of one's way to find a pedestrian crossing? 100m? 200m? 500m? 1km? 10km? Where do these rules apply? I don't recall seeing any pedestrian crossings in my wife's home village!

Even on short roads like Thanon Naret, I'm not sure I'd escape mockery if I walked up to the pedestrian crossing by the Sor Nor to cross the road rather than crossing it near the junction with Suraong Road. And how is a pedestrian supposed to turn right from Silom Road to go northwards along Narathiwat Ratchanakharin Road without stepping onto the road? Or is that allowed?

Oh Yes. The good ole days are here once again. Thailand's newly unelected government has brought back the hardcore days. Thailand can now once again be a place where corruption infests in every facet and level of government and society. Police corruption is totally cool and brings about the most stable form of Thai society, just like the old times! As the Italians used to say in New York during the mafia days in the U.S... "Hey , nobody knows betta' , right?"...So much for all that hard work they did while trying to put a series of corruption cases against Taksin. hehehe.. I'm waiting to see a "Jao Paw" (เจ้าพอ่) on every block in Bangkok, fighting over territory.

In order to get their priorities right, they should start arresting their "own" first for demanding bribes. When Thaksin still was in charge of a certain TV station we had daily shows where policemen were caught red handed taking bribes. Now all tv stations are safely in the hands of the royalists and the army even CNN kisses the bud of these stations by not reporting on certain cases which are too "sensitive". So it is just another way to make money, my advice, put them all on candid camera!

As I recall - Thaksin took over an independent TV station reknowned for its fierce reporting on corruption

under the Chuan govt and he emasculated it firing all the independent honest reporters until only those journalists

who would never report on the corruption of his own family and his ministers renmained.

Channel 3 was own by Pracha Maleenonts family -one of his ministers - not the royalists

Your post bears little relationship to the facts. :)

On the #38 bus heading down Asoke toward Sukhumvit, first day of the jaywalking crackdown. Pressed the buzzer to get off at the last stop on Asoke (the Soi Cowboy stop) before the bus turns left on Sukh. The bus was still in the far right lane, a right-turn only lane, when the door opened for me. I got out and had to cross (jaywalk?) across four lanes of traffic, stopped for the red light, fortunately. As I squeezed between the cars, watching for motorcycles coming between the lanes of cars, I was glad that no cop was waiting to demand 200 baht from me when I finally made it to the bus stop.

I never looked back to see how the bus driver made it from the right-turn lane to the left-turn lane in the 100 meters before reaching Sukhumvit, but I'm sure he managed it somehow. Thai drivers love to change lanes as many times as they possibly can.

This jaywalking law brings to mind the many times I've walked across Second Road in Pattaya; the road with zero pedestrian bridges, very few zebra crossings, incessant traffic, and many tourist pedestrians who are not aware of the me-first driving mindset in Thailand. The most obvious safety improvement Pattaya could easily and cheaply make would be to build a series of pedestrian bridges above Second Road, and maybe even a few crossing Beach Road.

Hello, I fail to use a crosswalk often as it is better to follow the herd when trying to dodge the cars, trucks, tuk-tuks, and especially the motorbikes. The biggest challenge is to look both ways before attempting a crossing because the motorbikes swarm in all directions on all streets or walkways, and people should assume a vehicle will be coming every which way. The cigarette butts are only a small pollution problem in Thailand, and it seems to be part of the culture for some local people to disrespect the environment because there is no sense of guilt. Cheers.

Foreigners are the main target...

I thought I read "Victory Monument and Ratchaprasong Junction?"

I don't think foreigners are the main target.

But can't disagree that this is more about revenue generation that safety--just like in America!

j.

You are comparing Thai cops to American cops? Are you freakin' serious. Can we go one forum without bringing the U.S. into the equation. I can see it now....Rice sales are down, post response, yeah, and it is America's fault because they don't eat enough rice!!! America is racist and evil!!! Sheesh, I hate you people sometimes.

When on my motorcycle or in my car I always try to stop and let pedestrians cross a zebra crossing....but it rarely works because they don't trust me...and often other traffic just pass me on either side and don't care about the pedestrians...

I used to brag to my wife about the UK...how public toilets and litter bins are easy to find..... but then when i took her there and we went to visit London....the toilets wete locked and bins had been taken away....... scared of terrorist bombs :)

Yawn, nothing new here at all. Jaywalking "crackdowns" in BKK have been going on since the early 90's.

At that time, small signs were erected in the middle of Silom rd warning people not to cross the road or face a 200B fine. They might still be there.

All this is about is part of the rewind back to the pre-Taksin era....as is the "crackdown" on litter.... again..

I think it is more dangerous in Thailand to use a crossing to cross the Road, the traffic does not stop unless you walk and keep going, so they literally have do break hard. I recently returned from a Trip to Singapore, the Crossroads crossings were excellent and everyone used them because they were very safe, a lot safer than Thailand's.

As for the Cigarette butts, where really are we supposed to put them? are we supposed to put them in our pocket until we see a bin or ash tray? I am scared of even putting one in the gutter now. I always give mine to my Thai partner as i doubt they are out to fine him.

Are Cigarette butts allowed to be thrown into the gutter? does anyone know?

One solution I invented, living here for 3 years now, is I flick the burning end, off of cigs. when done, step on it to put it out, and then put my cig.butts between the cig pack and the celophane the pack comes in. When I come to a trash can, I remove them and discard in can.

VERY GOOD, A responsible smoker. Thankyou for using initiative. :) ....its not that hard, is it?

Well, the most responsible smokers I had were a couple of long term patients in the psychiatric hospital, they didn't bother lighting the cigs, they just ate them. :D

must be americans...they like chewing tobacco don't they.... and sucking cigars until they're soggy

come on this is thailand , dont expect `uncorrupt police´ at least they have given a warning - as my wife has allways said - you can go with other women but dont let me find out.same with the police - just make sure they are not around when you cross the road.simple !

cyb, OMG! What has happened, all of a sudden people are agreeing with me :D:D

Relax, deep breath, OMG, OMG, There are other madmen in the forum :D

sorry neverdie.

Sometime you just got to take the rough with the smooth, and my doctors say i'm not mad just bordering on ting tong. :)

Edited by cyb

The real question is how do the little coppers get their uniforms so tight. Like a cross between the original star trek crew and bratwurst....but with guns and whistles added.

That's TOO dam_n funny!!! :D

THANK YOU!!!

It is what everybody thought ...but somehow couldn't articulate.

Now you put it into words...Star Trek and Bratwurst :)

Though I think it is more like Star Trek 'The Next Generation'...theirs fit tighter.... or maybe Terminator 2... the Mercury Man...not to be confused with the Thai movie of the same name.

I always thought their uniforms must be flame resistant because they don't burst into flames from the tightness and friction when moving...but then again...they never really do move very fast... this could be the reason.

What really worries me is that according to an article in today's Bangkok Post, even using a pedestrian crossing can result in getting fined. That is the case if there is a zebra crossing AND a pedestrian bridge. Apparently then you not allowed to use zebra crossing.

So you see, they get you anyway!

And if you use the bridge, be aware of littering and getting fined for this. Not to mention touching the low hanging electric cables.

Oh, and in Bangkok, they actually do stop cars and check for drunk drivers. I got stopped twice already, in Silom and in Petchburi Road. Fortunately I don't have a drinking problem, at least not as long as I have a drink. :D:)

^its the stairs onto and off the bridge that worry me....I had no idea that stairs could be built so steeply.

I can only hope that if I tumble one of those little guys wearing the skin tight brown uniform is at the bottom to help break my fall :)

I really think it's great that the police will now start to enforce the laws on the books. Perhaps they will also enforce the traffic laws that require vehicles to stop for pedestrians in the crosswalk as well. Let's face it, enforcing traffic laws has to start somewhere. Next we will actually see police officers, writing tickets and not worrying about collecting money for all those commanders and higher ups that get most of the money that is collected now. Last I heard, the officer on the beat only gets to keep 10 %, and the rest flows upward.

Until Law Enforcement starts to enforce the laws on the books, Thailand will always be a nation of," Lawlessness". It would create another level of government, but if the Thai government would only allow tickets to be paid at the 7-Eleven, like my water and electric bills, then we would see real improvements in the enforcement of all traffic laws. yes, I am a former police officer and it makes me sick to see the officers being under paid, overworked and having to ask for their wages from the drivers they stop. ( Now, pedestrians too)

Nice to see the other side of the coin as well.

Every thing you say seems very logical.

Some times a little fact takes some imagination and off we go with farang konspiracy theories. Not all of the time is reality liek that. Again thank you for weighing in on this topic.

More "income" is rolling in... and this "law" will be exploited merciless to the fullest extend

Foreigners are the main target... MHO

Maybe someone in the Government, that REALLY had a brain in his head should INVENT ROAD RULES FIRST for Thai Drivers,and educate them on WHAT a Pedestrian crossing is for and how MOST of the civilized world STOPS for Pedestrians , and not try to run them down, then get the DAMM MOTORCYCLES OFF THE FOOTPATHS, I think think the police could become millionaires if they did that.

the only so called civilised country I know of where motorists stop is the UK.

The other 69 countries I have visited, you should take out life insurance before attempting crossing a road. I'd also be interested in knowing which countries on this planet could be considered civilised? I'm struggling to think of any.

Certainly not the torture capitals of the world as in the USA or UK. Maybe France, at least they put food and eat before doing anything. Even before attempting to cross the road.

Most of the foreigners I know in thailand like thailand because it's not civilised and long may it remain that way.

LOL?

To someone from Scandinavia who has lived over a year in London - the difference between London motorists and Scandinavian ditto is more or less the same as the difference between London moterists and Thai traffic.

In other words, no needto generalize and make the UK seem like top of the pops. The UK is a nice country, but it is in no way the world's richest nor civilised country.

Edited by Acomes2Siam

Do you think I would check yes to the jaywalking question?

If they could actually find your address they probably would try to mail you a ticket.

That was the first thing I saw at On Nut road skytrain station

A falong backbacker no less climbing into a cab with ticket in hand.

I figured they were actually trying to get me because I just got into

town and I had done the same thing a few weeks back because I didn't want to

climb all the way over at the Ekamai station.

luckily I didn't want to go to the tesco across the street from On Nut.

I happened to be on my way to a guest house on the same side of the street.

Oh and look out for that ten man international crew on Sukhumvit South bound in

Pattaya between Big C and the Carre Four street.

They're out there exactly monday in the AM (how convenient for

a display of job activity)

Pretty soon I think they'll bolt giant butterfly nets

on the end of a back hoe and then dump the entire

bike and rider in the back of one of those grey giant double

trailer stake beds. ( with the rainbow stripe sort of chort look)Then they could hall the full one

back to the precinct and park it in an air conditioned garage.

What I think they would do next is turn it over and shake vigorously.

If licenses and insurance papers don't fall out they

can sell the bikes then.

^flegolo, <deleted> are you talking about. Can you clarify what 3.71 is and also who the hel_l is ivanK?

Man you have really lost it this time, Im glad the mod removed your previous flame, thats absolutely disgusting what you said, you need to take a very long hard look at yourself. :D

Neverdie.

I would be inclined to agree with you. but in fear of being moderated and adding to your ever increasing fan club I abstain. :):D:D

Fan club? I couldn't possibly join. Ours is strictly a professional relationship...I'll jump in now and then to assist nev before his head explodes like that guy in the movie 'Scanners'. :D

Oh so guilty as h_ell cyb, that's me! (you know what I'm talkin about) :D

Any breaking news on how many people have been fined for jaywalking so far? This is important stuff. There are many people wanting to know wether they can come on holiday to Thailand and not be greeted with the horrific sight of someone jaywalking. Or are they cracking down on blitzes to make way for tough new enforcements in the light of pending 'zero tolerance' ideas that may be forthcoming?

Well if its any consolation there are red light cams all over LA installed by Lockhead Martin who get half the profits. Why not reduce the fine in half and have the city install themselves? Because someone is getting a kickback.

The fine in Culver City is 13000 baht, 400 bucks and they've intentionally shortened the yellow light preceeding the red.

Fact is this is a revenue source and there will be more of it everywhere.

Must say that I do oppose the cig butt, littering fine because it mainly targets tourists and there are no bloody trash cans anywhere.

Edited by losworld

What really worries me is that according to an article in today's Bangkok Post, even using a pedestrian crossing can result in getting fined. That is the case if there is a zebra crossing AND a pedestrian bridge. Apparently then you not allowed to use zebra crossing.

So you see, they get you anyway!

And if you use the bridge, be aware of littering and getting fined for this. Not to mention touching the low hanging electric cables.

Oh, and in Bangkok, they actually do stop cars and check for drunk drivers. I got stopped twice already, in Silom and in Petchburi Road. Fortunately I don't have a drinking problem, at least not as long as I have a drink. :D:)

I saw that. People using zebra crossings will be fined.

When I cross, I'll make sure I'm along side some Thais.

And if the cops stop me, I'll speak Klingon or something and keep walking.

In Thailand the reckless ones are still the majority but this is changing fast... thanks to the women.

I wouldn't be so sure praising women. I am driving a car in Bangkok for 2 years and I would say the women drive recklessly. I haven't seen a woman driver breaking at the speed bump, their cars just jumping. And in my experience most of the female drivers will never give a priority when is the case to the other drivers. For short, they drive like nuts.

Edited by Thunder26

Do you think I would check yes to the jaywalking question?

If they could actually find your address they probably would try to mail you a ticket.

That was the first thing I saw at On Nut road skytrain station

A falong backbacker no less climbing into a cab with ticket in hand.

I figured they were actually trying to get me because I just got into

town and I had done the same thing a few weeks back because I didn't want to

climb all the way over at the Ekamai station.

luckily I didn't want to go to the tesco across the street from On Nut.

I happened to be on my way to a guest house on the same side of the street.

Oh and look out for that ten man international crew on Sukhumvit South bound in

Pattaya between Big C and the Carre Four street.

They're out there exactly monday in the AM (how convenient for

a display of job activity)

Pretty soon I think they'll bolt giant butterfly nets

on the end of a back hoe and then dump the entire

bike and rider in the back of one of those grey giant double

trailer stake beds. ( with the rainbow stripe sort of chort look)Then they could hall the full one

back to the precinct and park it in an air conditioned garage.

What I think they would do next is turn it over and shake vigorously.

If licenses and insurance papers don't fall out they

can sell the bikes then.

Then again after I read my own post I started to think that there had finally been a reduction of

those purposely smoky 2 strokes. A few years back only some of the 2 strokes were annoyingly smokey in front

of you and you got a sense that it wasn't on purpose

But then probably as one of those stupid party town fads the 2 strokes started spewing way too much smoke from

way too many of them (and newer ones) .They were (I believe) modified to do this in a childish spite.

Also the some of these (East LA style) big round exhaust custom tail pipe four cylinder cars

are smoking along when they are way too new to emit any visible smoke.

These idiots are doing this on purpose.

So back to the 2 strokes - now it looks like there's less of them (Smokey ones - on purpose smokey ones) so if the police

are responsible for that then more power to them.

Also maybe a reduction in the idiots reving the bikes in nuetral way off the distance.

Didn't any of you who have been here notice this strange bizare monkey see monkey do behavior?

What about the blue and white stripe shirts? What about the PINK shirts?

What next?

Edited by jb5music

Since LoS is a very polite society and since motorists are courteous enough to flash their lights to advise other motorists to kindly move out of the way whilst they come through, I have taken to carrying a 1,000,000 candle power torch with me and I shine it at cars when I want to cross the road. It is very effective!

Foriegners should learn to accommodate themselves to the native cultural norms and when in BKK do as the BKKians do. I am grateful to the locals for teaching me their manners. I now flash to get my way.