Bangkok Jaywalkers Subject Of Police Blitz

george

471 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<deleted>?

Hey, I have some yard work over here I need to get done, and a concrete slab I need broken up...why don't you head on over and take care of it? I'm sure you will appreciate the exercise and welcome it. That's called sarcasm.

Firstly, I doubt you can afford my hourly rate, I'm not cheap.

Secondly, Do you supply a work permit with that employment opportunity.

Thirdly, Hasnt anyone ever told you that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit :)

------------------------------------------------------

Dear neverdie

<deleted> complain about others.... stick to the subject. IT IS ABOUT J-WALKING

Glegolo

I think it is more dangerous in Thailand to use a crossing to cross the Road, the traffic does not stop unless you walk and keep going, so they literally have do break hard. I recently returned from a Trip to Singapore, the Crossroads crossings were excellent and everyone used them because they were very safe, a lot safer than Thailand's.

As for the Cigarette butts, where really are we supposed to put them? are we supposed to put them in our pocket until we see a bin or ash tray? I am scared of even putting one in the gutter now. I always give mine to my Thai partner as i doubt they are out to fine him.

Are Cigarette butts allowed to be thrown into the gutter? does anyone know?

Exactly my experience. On a recent visit to Singapore I made the same observation to my wife when much to her annoyance I pressed the green button on a crossing before proceeding to step out without looking and doing a little tap-dance en-route to the other side. I then pointed nostalgically at what looked like a London bus before muttering about the 'white man's burden' and how colonization had done Singapore the world of good. :)

Update:

Thai crosswalk law enforcement begins

Crosswalk laws seriously enforced

BANGKOK: -- Police have kicked off the exercising of stricter traffic laws today by fining citizens who fail to use flyovers and crosswalks 200 baht.

Police setup fine payment tables as well as promotional signs along Victory Monument today to begin the enforcement of more serious laws obligating pedestrians to use crosswalks and flyovers. Citizens who fail to comply with the revamped regulations will be fined 200 baht. 4 people were already fined this morning in an indication of the seriousness of the regulations.

At the same time, the traffic police have cracked down on cars and motorcycles not stopping for crossing pedestrians at the Rachaprasong Intersection. 4 vehicles were cited for violations and fined this morning, but on the whole drivers and pedestrians have cooperated with the new laws.

-- NNT 2009-08-03

Will this 'crackdown' re-ignite the issue of ferrangs not carrying passports? If the police are going to give you a ticket rather than an on-the-spot 'tea money' fine, then they will need to take some proof of ID to be reclaimed later when you pay the fine. As you are not driving, a driving licence seems innapproproate .... so he'll demand your passport, which you wont have as you're not daft enough to carry it every day ... and then you may get a 2000 THB fine on top of the 200 baht?

Or more likely, a demand for payment for not carrying your passport.

Sorry can't help having a little chuckle, you get fined for walking on the road but it's still ok to drive your motorcyle on the pavement.

Agreed. Also OK to be a street vendor in Silom Road and Sukhumvit and park you cart or be a taxi driver and just stop in the first and second lanes to try to wait for a fare, while the rest of the world is trying to get past.

Has anyone seem how bad Sukhumvit 3 is at night these days, and all along Sukhumvit Road?

GET REAL BIB's address the REAL traffic issues.

This is crap. I always make a point not to use crosswalks, in USA and anywhere, because traffic is not as thick the farther you are from traffic lights and intersections (where crosswalks usually are). I dont trust drivers on the road to obey all signs, and theres been many times where Ive clicked a button to cross an intersection, and the light turns green again before I am even halfway across. I just find that its easier and safer to cross the street farther away from intersections. All of this is ridiculous. Why cant Thailand just be like a normal country? They are the oddest country on earth when it comes to things like this (and visas, and pretty much everything). Its such a great place but the government and all their ridiculous rules and restrictions pretty much cancel alot of that out.

At last - a constructive suggestion that would both save lives and produce revenue! Good one - :)

More "income" is rolling in... and this "law" will be exploited merciless to the fullest extend

Foreigners are the main target... MHO

Maybe someone in the Government, that REALLY had a brain in his head should INVENT ROAD RULES FIRST for Thai Drivers,and educate them on WHAT a Pedestrian crossing is for and how MOST of the civilized world STOPS for Pedestrians , and not try to run them down, then get the DAMM MOTORCYCLES OFF THE FOOTPATHS, I think think the police could become millionaires if they did that.

I don't like throwing litter on the street but finding a trashcan is "litterally" impossible. You can walk for miles without finding one. Same thing goes for pedestrian crossing.

so true, This is the reason I have stopped buying coconuts. Walking a kilometer with a coconut shell in your hand feels weird and seems to attract even more Indian tailors

Whats the difference if you use a "crossing" or not? doesn't make any difference to the drivers, even crossing at the lights is dodgy they still flying at you 5 secs after they supposed to give way. Crossing at soi 4 and SUK is a good example. Bridges are safe as the motorbikes haven't figured how to ride up the stairs yet

Well, during my last stay in LOS i saw some tourists just littering an empty box of cigarettes just some step away from the bin. But i must agree; most of the times there are no bins around but if you're lucky, a trash bag somebody else put out to be collected. But this problem i know from home too; anyway it's a no go just to drop some garbage.

I like the thought about pedestrians using the zebra-crossing or the bridges. But if bad weather, pain or big luggage, the bridges aren't the first choice. So they should build up more zebra-crossings and have the motorists respect it!

Foreigners are the main target...

But can't disagree that this is more about revenue generation that safety--just like in America!

It's possible that this one may just result in greater revenue to the government - as opposed to supplemental income for the BiB. Unlike the cigarette butt law, which calls for ThB 2000 per offense, the jaywalking fine in only 200. If faced with a choice between, say, the actual ThB 200 fine and a "expediting fee" of ThB 100, I might just choose the ticket, which I could then frame and put up in my bathroom along with the ticket I got for riding a motorcy without a helmet.

On the other hand, this could also be a compromise solution to the backlash over the recent surge in shakedown roadblocks, which no doubt had an adverse effect on already-congested traffic.

Why cant Thailand just be like a normal country? They are the oddest country on earth when it comes to things like this

Well it is rather strange that Thailand of all places has the "offence" of jaywalking which simply does not exist in most countries such as the UK.

Unfortunately many of the people in power in Thailand were educated in the USA so I blame the US for this....Thats a very strange place, it seems that walking in general is considered unacceptable.

I was once stopped when visiting Chicago by an officer in police car who was wondering what on earth I was doing walking. When he found out I was from the UK he left me alone.

Jaywalkers subject of police blitz

By John Le Fevre

BANGKOK (thaivisa.com): -- People who fail use crosswalks or footbridges will start receiving on-the-spot Bt200 (about $US5.88) fines from traffic police commencing August 1.

People who drop litter, including cigarette butts in a city almost bereft of public ashtrays or rubbish bins are already subject to fines of up Bt2,000 (about $US58.76) and now police have decided to target jaywalkers in a city where crossing the road is often a mad dash followed by furtive creeping steps to avoid cars and motorcycles that pay little regard for pedestrians.

For their part, impatient Bangkokians are known to attempt to dash between cars, or walk out from in front of buses directly into the path of traffic, often without looking.

Traffic police chief Police Major Weerapat Tansrisakul said traffic police in Bangkok will begin to arrest people who crossed the street without using crosswalks, footbridges, and other crossways.

He said the area around Victory Monument, Silom Road and Ratchaprasong Junction will receive the initial focus and urged people to comply with the traffic laws for their own safety.

thaivisa-news.png

-- thaivisa.com 2009-08-01

Why not try a new vote, WHEN YOU HAVE OFFERED A BRIBE TO A THAI POLICEMAN HAS YOUR BRIBE EVER BEEN REFUSED..... YES or NO, I really would like to see the results of this one and I know there will be no surprises. Not that you need to offer, they have a way of making you understand its amazing how they can suddenly speak English!!!

Can't catch the motorists ignoring cross walks so target to slow moving pedrestrian trying to cross the road the best and safest way he/she can. That's great logic and keeps the tea pot warm.

Edit: Have you ever NOT jaywalked in Bangkok? Probably only when using a bridge or sky train station.

Tea money you must be joking Sang Som money more like...

Can't catch the motorists ignoring cross walks so target to slow moving pedrestrian trying to cross the road the best and safest way he/she can. That's great logic and keeps the tea pot warm.

Edit: Have you ever NOT jaywalked in Bangkok? Probably only when using a bridge or sky train station.

Tea money you must be joking Sang Som money more like...

Now really that is obsurd to imply that our fine police officers would drink on duty :):D:D

Interesting to note that the wire barrier on the median strip between the skytrain support columns on Sukhumvit road which was installed a few years ago to prevent jaywalking and which carried signs warning of 200bt fines was recently removed, it would appear, to facilitate jaywalking.

Who says Thais can't think ahead ?

If I am crossing the road in a straight line then I am not J walking but if I veer off that line to avoid being knocked down by a motor bike or other vehicle I would be J walking. Would the Thai police understand this and not fine me or expect me to be run down.

More "income" is rolling in... and this "law" will be exploited merciless to the fullest extend

Foreigners are the main target... MHO

As a foreigner if you think you are always being single out and feel unfair, move out and look for some place that you feel please. Otherwise just zip up your mouth. Speak something more constructive than yakking on irrelevant issues.

Breaking news: Tourism up now that tourists can feel safer here thanks to this important new 'crackdown/blitz/new enforcement/zero tolerance etc etc. Nothing worse than having to see someone jaywalk. It's a horrible thing to have to witness. And anyone who suggests that the BIB could even possibly think of abusing this important issue must be crazy! They are here to protect and serve and I think they do a mighty fine job. I also love this padded cell i'm in, it's wicked!