Transfering Big Files From My Pc To Ext Hard Disk

Nepal4me

I download a lot of music, movies etc and keep them on an external hard disk. I have found certain files that I've downloaded in mkv format can't seem to transfered to my external hard drive. These files are between 4.3GB and 6.5GB. I also found I couldn't transfer a winzip file, which was 4.5GB so I think the issue is simply the size not the fact that most of these big files are mkv or Matroska format.

I can play them fine on Windows Media Player or on WinAmp on my PC but want to put them onto my ext. HD.

The message I receive is "not enough free disk space". My ext. HD has over 100GB free space so I'm not sure why I would get that message.

I've tried posting/asking this question into google but couldn't come up with an answer.

Wonder if any PC techy folks out there can shed some light on my dilemma????

How is your external drive formatted - NTFS or FAT 32?

NTSF supports files over 4 GB

Or use ReiserFS....supports 8 TB file size, some 4 billion files per volume, a file name of 4 KB length, and a max volume size of 16 TB.

Oh, wait, he doesn't want to switch to a *nix OS....so solly.

**edit**

There is a ReiserFS driver for Windows.

Edited by dave_boo

Just convert the drive to NTFS. Bring up a command prompt (Run>cmd) and type 'convert (drive letter): /fs:ntfs'

Without the inverted commas. The drive letter is your external obviously - e.g. my external is (I) - I would type 'convert i: /fs:ntfs'

It's really that simple...

Just convert the drive to NTFS. Bring up a command prompt (Run>cmd) and type 'convert (drive letter): /fs:ntfs'

Without the inverted commas. The drive letter is your external obviously - e.g. my external is (I) - I would type 'convert i: /fs:ntfs'

Hi MKAsoke,

Thanks for the seemingly easiest option. I did as you said and typed from the run/cmd "convert g: /fs:ntfs" I didn't type in the " marks and did put a space after the word convert and before the /fs

Hopefully that was correct.

I now get a message in the dos window saying

"

The type of the file systems is FAT32.

Enter current volume label for Drive G:

"

At this point I don't know what to do. Further guidance would be appreciated. Please keep in mind that I am far from a geek.

Thanks again........

NTFS is notoriously unstable, problematic, and easily fragmented. Easy is not always smart.

If you simply must, RC on computer, go to disk management, identify your USB drive - plug/unplug it to get the correct ID

- ya dont wanna reformat C:\ or anything else - and reformat the correct drive. Its that simple.

I would rather split the files, using rar or zip as others have suggested.

I have about 500G in USB drive storage, all F32, have zero compatibility problems across many platforms.

BR>Jack

Apologies for the vagueness on NTFS, dont do M$ anymore - but it will get ya there.

Hi MKAsoke,

Thanks for the seemingly easiest option. I did as you said and typed from the run/cmd "convert g: /fs:ntfs" I didn't type in the " marks and did put a space after the word convert and before the /fs

Hopefully that was correct.

I now get a message in the dos window saying

"

The type of the file systems is FAT32.

Enter current volume label for Drive G:

"

At this point I don't know what to do. Further guidance would be appreciated. Please keep in mind that I am far from a geek.

Thanks again........

It's asking you to enter the volume label that G: has. If you double-click on 'Computer' you'll see a list of your drives. The volume label is to the left of the drive letter. If it says "USB (G:)" then "USB" is the volume label (without the quote marks). Enter that then hit return.

NTFS is notoriously unstable, problematic, and easily fragmented. Easy is not always smart.

Do you have any evidence for this claim?

I suspect not. FAT32 on the other hand ... :)

Also, if the OP is using the external drive for backing up video then of course the splitting works but a lot of extra work for no reason. If he is using it and plans on playing the video directly off the external drive then the file can not be in archive (.rar) format. NTFS is the way to go for either purposes.

I have probably 10 drives, half are external and all are in NTFS and yet to have a problem with them. De-fragmenting is rarely needed to be done except on FAT32 file systems. However, some flash drives that require FAT32 have easily become corrupted.

Thanks for the seemingly easiest option.

No probs, you're welcome. I concur with endure, just follow his advice. It's extremely unlikely you'll have any problems with NTFS. You really don't want to be stuck with FAT32 on an external, particularly when you're dealing with large video files.

The choice is the OP - you dont even need CLI, as suggested, which might prevent accidental formats

The lifeblood of any HDD, ergo the O/S, is the FS - period.

NTFS is never used on any servers, period.

Every NTFS boot drive that I ever owned, has failed, both 3.5 & 2.5 formats.

After an extensive rework, I use them for data only, never boot.

I have used RFSv3 for say 10 years, 100/200 HDD, never stuttered.

I have used F32 for data forever - never kept data on my boot drive, even in the bad ol' days.

EXT4 & RFSv4 will probably go mainstream soon, v3 probably the gold standard though.

SSD/etc are notorious for data loss/corruption - most dont even format accurately.

That is not a function/fault of any FS, FAT or otherwise.

BR>Jack

Mmm ! I have never had an issue with NTFS on any of my personal boot HDs/external HDs nor with the 400+ used by my Employers.

If the OP is using Windows he is best to use NTFS on his external drive.

Sure other formats mentioned have there merits but for the average Windows PC user NTFS will be fine & as the OP has limited experience throwing all this info at him is just confusing a simple question.

The choice is the OP - you dont even need CLI, as suggested, which might prevent accidental formats

The lifeblood of any HDD, ergo the O/S, is the FS - period.

NTFS is never used on any servers, period.

Using the CLI as suggested, he didn't have to reformat anything. The conversion is done in situ. Using your method would mean moving all the files off the drive, reformatting it and then moving them back on again.

When you say that NTFS in never used on any servers I assume you're talking about your own machines? If not then what you say simply isn't true. It's used on servers all over the world.

What??!!

BR>Jack

Using your method would mean moving all the files off the drive, reformatting it and then moving them back on again.

Your own words:

"If you simply must, RC on computer, go to disk management, identify your USB drive - plug/unplug it to get the correct ID

- ya dont wanna reformat C:\ or anything else - and reformat the correct drive. Its that simple."

Hi MKAsoke,

It's asking you to enter the volume label that G: has. If you double-click on 'Computer' you'll see a list of your drives. The volume label is to the left of the drive letter. If it says "USB (G:)" then "USB" is the volume label (without the quote marks). Enter that then hit return.

Thanks again for all your help. What I get now when I type in My Passport, which is my label name is the following:

Windows has checked the file system and found no problem etc etc

It then says:

The drive is dirty and cannot be converted. You will need to clear the dirty bit on this drive by running CHKDSK /F or allowing AUTOCHK to run on it the next time you reboot.

I then typed in CHKSDK /F at the Dos prompt and the following was displayed:

"

The type of file system is NTFS.

Cannot lock the current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked next time the system restarts? Y/N

"

I have rebooted my system and have the external "G" drive connected but with nothing running at all. I tried the CHKSDK /F again but received the same message. I hope you can help point me in the right direction further.

Thanks.......

p.s. I realize it says "the type of file system is NTFS", which implies to me that it is converted even though it previously said it wasn't converted. I still can't move the big files so I presume it's not converted.

Hi MKAsoke,

Thanks again for all your help. What I get now when I type in My Passport, which is my label name is the following:

Windows has checked the file system and found no problem etc etc

It then says:

The drive is dirty and cannot be converted. You will need to clear the dirty bit on this drive by running CHKDSK /F or allowing AUTOCHK to run on it the next time you reboot.

I then typed in CHKSDK /F at the Dos prompt and the following was displayed:

"

The type of file system is NTFS.

Cannot lock the current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked next time the system restarts? Y/N

"

I have rebooted my system and have the external "G" drive connected but with nothing running at all. I tried the CHKSDK /F again but received the same message. I hope you can help point me in the right direction further.

Thanks.......

p.s. I realize it says "the type of file system is NTFS", which implies to me that it is converted even though it previously said it wasn't converted. I still can't move the big files so I presume it's not converted.

Excuse me that question - but have you answered with Y when the dialog appeared???

The message I receive is "not enough free disk space". My ext. HD has over 100GB free space so I'm not sure why I would get that message.

Is it because the current media apps you use, cache the files on your local drives temp directory and you do not have enough space there to do this? If so use VLC ( http://www.videolan.org ) and these issues will go away.

<sip>

to check that

right click on "My Computer"

----> Manage ---------> Disk management

post-327-1249264276_thumb.jpg

You can check the file system for each drive - external as well!

Excuse me that question - but have you answered with Y when the dialog appeared???

Uh, actually I did not ... I typed N and then rebooted my PC and closed anything that was using my G drive and followed the previous instructions. Which didn't work.

So based on your sage advice I went back followed the instructions again and typed Y. Rebooted and it did some magic thinking about things and said "Yeah baby, all your &lt;deleted&gt;'s converted" or words to that effect. I then popped over to the big file on my C drive and tried to copy to my G drive and Holy Mackerel, it worked. Yaaaaaaaaaaaah.

I even went to My computer/manage/disc manage and indeed they are all NTFS files.

Thanks so much you guys for walking me through this. You have no idea what black magic crap all this stuff is to somebody that doesn't know very much about computers other than using it for normal operations. The techiest thing I do is download torrents. :)