Marriage visa

hello, i am currently in thailand on a tourist visa which runs out in a couple of weeks i have been in and out of thailand on 30day visa's for the best part of a year before that. i am renting a home and have been living with my thai girlfriend for the past month and a half. we are looking into getting married but i seem to hear so many different things.

is it right i need :

some kind of certificate from the embassy in bangkok saying i have never been married??

once married do i get the non imm "'o'' visa??

i need:

200,000bt going upto 400,000 next year???

i am looking at starting a small business but am only looking at present so have no work is this a problem???

i want to get everything right but it seems so daunting at the moment,

can anybody give me advise???

thanks....halfpast2

Hi halfpast,

With regard to the process of getting married go to the following website which givesadvice on marriage in Thailand. There you will find a straightforward step by step guide which is relevant irrespective of what nationality you are.

As for the immigration requirements post-marriage I can only advise what I have gleaned from other posts. Once married you leave Thailand and obtain a multiple entry "O". With this you can enter Thailand for a period of 90 days at a time. However, rather than leave every 90 days, it is possible to obtain a one year permit and it is for this that you need to lodge dosh in the bank. From what I can understand the current amount is 250,000 baht but that this will shortly increase to 400,000 baht. Should you go down the one-year path then you need to report to the local immigration office every 90 days and acquire a re-entry permit for those occasions when you wish to leave the country and return.

Regards,

Scouse.

Having posted this I checked the hyperlink and it doesn't appear to be working. Go to www.britishemb.or.th then "consular" then "marriage in thailand".

Well put Scouser. The existing reg's specify 200,000 baht, but it seems some officers round it up to 250,000    :o    I think a current letter from the bank evidencing 200k will suffice. There is an awful lot of rumour ' out there ' The Ministry of Misinformation is working overtime.