Air Asia: Check Your Bags At Your Own Risk!

aroydee

Maybe I have just been too lucky over the years. I have never had a piece of luggage abused, tampered with, or lost... until today!

My short flight from KUL-BKK arrived only a bit late, thanks Air Asia... And I arrived back here but my luggage sure did NOT!

The ground crew of the airport were helpful, but things went sharply downhill as soon as my carrier, AIR ASIA, got involved. Sure they filled out lots of forms. Then they told me they did not know where my luggage is, but they will get it to me. I did get a phone call. Hours ago. My luggage? No sign of it.

When I complained to the local branch manager at the airport he looked at me eye-to-eye, laughed and told me to file a complaint on their web site. When I told him he was being silly, he advised me that he simply told me what he is trained to tell irate customer. (Guess I am not the first!)

I flew AIR ASIA six times this summer.... and planned an additional four flights before returning to the USA. Looks like those plans need some revision. As my grandfather once said: "Cheap thing, no good!"

That's what insurance is for. Did you tick and pay the extra 50 baht (or whatever it is)? Always best to do that if your stuff has any worth... you'll at least get something back than the standard few baht they'll pay you.

Next time pay a bit more and go on a reliable airline.

Do different airlines have different baggage handlers? I thought that they all used the same employed by the airport, not the airline?

It varies. Some airport authorities employ handlers but I think most of the major airlines still employ them directly at their hubs at least.

Been there done that. Never did get my bag. Their backup is pathetic. Lost on a Cnx to Bkk flight for a 5 days trip . First time the wife and myself put all the cloths in one bag.

Made 2 trips to Don Muang to fill out paperwork and to see if they had found it. After all that returned to Cnx, informed that they couldn't find it and I had to now fill out a claim form. Made an appointment and went to the Cnx airport and was told that they didn't have the form and told to come back later. After complaining bitterly they got one faxed from Bkk. This took over 2 hours. Total process about 3-4 weeks.

1 week later they offered me 2000 Baht for a the 20kg bag. After all the hastle I told them to shove it where th sun doesn't shine.

Don't get me wrong, while in the air the service was fine Even the checking in was to bad.

If you have no baggage it should be OK.

Whether I fly with them again would probably depend on luggage and price. If there is any alternative even more expensive near the same price I would always select that.

Worst ground service of any airline I have flown.

Edited by newcomer01

This can happen on any airline, one of my bags when flying QANTAS to Europe disappeared, they were very helpful but the bag was never found, my travel insurance from my Citibank Credit card which i used to pay for the flight covered everything,

Considering the amount of luggage handled everyday i am surprised that not more goes missing, my family and myself fly Air Asia alot and we are very happy with the service and especially the pricing.

GO Air Asia

Traveled Gold Coast to BKK via KL last year. Had to retrieve luggage and recheck. The elcheapo AirAsia terminal at KL is an effen joke. The carosel was way to small for the traffic and handlers were just dragging bags off it and literally throwing them into a heap on the floor. No wonder the OP's bag was lost, probably at the bottom of a pile somewhere.

Not to mention the ques for immigration spilling out of the terminal onto the apron and total confusion in departures. NEVER AGAIN.

This can happen on any airline, one of my bags when flying QANTAS to Europe disappeared, they were very helpful but the bag was never found, my travel insurance from my Citibank Credit card which i used to pay for the flight covered everything,

Considering the amount of luggage handled everyday i am surprised that not more goes missing, my family and myself fly Air Asia alot and we are very happy with the service and especially the pricing.

GO Air Asia

It surely can happen with any airline - however other airlines have reliable insurance to pay for it. Btw I think even NOK Air only pays up to 500 Baht per lost checked bag. That's the price you pay for flying low cost airlines in SE asia. I am supriced nothing more has happened with them over the years - I guess its luck. :)

Air Asia lost your luggage? That is ridiculous. It never happens with other airlines. I suggest everybody cancel their plans to travel Air Asia in the future. And fancy the bag not showing up within a few hours. Oh well, gives you time to log on here and post your Air Asia complaint at least.

But isn't it possible that some el cheapo may have stolen the bag too? There is no one cheeking those little baggage claim stickers.

hmmmm I think the next time I buy some luggage I will buy a very bright color!

My friend, using Costco luggage once brought someones bag all the way home. And they grabbed his bag as it was generic and identical and didn't notice until he phoned them.

now that's a load of rubbish isn't it ?

tenthousands of baggage items are lost or stolen every year anywhere in the world.

Certainly AirAsia's baggage handling record isn't worse than any other's airline anywhere.

but yeah, now ONE bag out of millions has been lost, and again some pathetic moaners find a new reason to WHINE about AirAsia, which in fact is a GIFT FROM HEAVEN for anyone living in Asia who is smart enough to maximise his travel-experiences using their services and minimize costs at the same time....

Lost a bag on KLM once going from Sao Paolo to LHR. reported it to KLM agent filled out the forms etc, truthfully told them that I had Brazilian beef of some quantity in the case. Went to my parents hous in Stamford, had a knock on the door at 4am the next morning to find my case being unloaded from a refrigerated truck . Thats what i call service !

Maybe I have just been too lucky over the years. I have never had a piece of luggage abused, tampered with, or lost... until today!

My short flight from KUL-BKK arrived only a bit late, thanks Air Asia... And I arrived back here but my luggage sure did NOT!

The ground crew of the airport were helpful, but things went sharply downhill as soon as my carrier, AIR ASIA, got involved. Sure they filled out lots of forms. Then they told me they did not know where my luggage is, but they will get it to me. I did get a phone call. Hours ago. My luggage? No sign of it.

When I complained to the local branch manager at the airport he looked at me eye-to-eye, laughed and told me to file a complaint on their web site. When I told him he was being silly, he advised me that he simply told me what he is trained to tell irate customer. (Guess I am not the first!)

I flew AIR ASIA six times this summer.... and planned an additional four flights before returning to the USA. Looks like those plans need some revision. As my grandfather once said: "Cheap thing, no good!"

Dont panic too much yet, last year I flew Lufthansa to Poland and I didn't get my bag back until I got back to BKK a week later. Admittedly it took many calls to get them to do anything (the baggage people in Poland couldn't care less) and eventually the Lufthansa office in Bangkok called me in Poland to say they had found it. I was flying home the next day anyway.

now that's a load of rubbish isn't it ?

tenthousands of baggage items are lost or stolen every year anywhere in the world.

Certainly AirAsia's baggage handling record isn't worse than any other's airline anywhere.

but yeah, now ONE bag out of millions has been lost, and again some pathetic moaners find a new reason to WHINE about AirAsia, which in fact is a GIFT FROM HEAVEN for anyone living in Asia who is smart enough to maximise his travel-experiences using their services and minimize costs at the same time....

Bit ott.

That's not the main beef with the op; the problem is the comeback, or lack thereof.

Engage brain (if available) before posting. :)

:)

....AND MY MAMA TOLD ME TOO. "GOOD THINGS, NO CHEAP". VERDICT? NEVER NEVER FLY AIR ASIA - EVEN IF IT FLIES TO THE U.S. FOR A DIME :D ! (P.s. READ all about it right here....in this forum and others.)

That's what insurance is for. Did you tick and pay the extra 50 baht (or whatever it is)? Always best to do that if your stuff has any worth... you'll at least get something back than the standard few baht they'll pay you.

Insurance. Insurance is quite moot and unworthy if the item is lost. I pitty those whom get lost in the ideals of what insurance is. Taken the bait so easily.

Insurance. Insurance is quite moot and unworthy if the item is lost. I pitty those whom get lost in the ideals of what insurance is. Taken the bait so easily.