Children Passport, Not Recognized, Still True?

Nonsense. Thailand issues children passports themselves and many of our members have passports for their children and never have any problem.

I think OP talks about a special passport for children that does not have the full feature-set of the common modern 'ePassport' with biometric data. From what I've read Germany may issue the full-blown 'ePassport' for children on request, but will usually issue the less expensive passport for children. The latter is said to be widely but not world-wide recognised (e.g. in the US where children travelling with this kind of passport require a special visa which is not required if a full-blow biometric passport is available, source: de.wikipedia.org).

As a third option children can be added to the passport of one of their parents.

Since I'm not German national, and I don't have children, I've got no idea which of these options are recognised for entering Thailand.

welo

Edited by welo

Nonsense. Thailand issues children passports themselves and many of our members have passports for their children and never have any problem.

I think OP talks about a special passport for children that does not have the full feature-set of the common modern 'ePassport' with biometric data. From what I've read Germany may issue the full-blown 'ePassport' for children on request, but will usually issue the less expensive passport for children. The latter is said to be widely but not world-wide recognised (e.g. in the US where children travelling with this kind of passport require a special visa which is not required if a full-blow biometric passport is available, source: de.wikipedia.org).

As a third option children can be added to the passport of one of their parents.

Since I'm not German national, and I don't have children, I've got no idea which of these options are recognised for entering Thailand.

welo

Thanks for your clarification. Usefull information. :)

Ask the airline if they ever had problems. They will know best, as they have to take people back when they are refused.

I cheked the IATA database, which gives the required documents to enter a specifick country with a specifick nationality) but they don't say anything about children's passports being denied.

http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations...ation/index.jsp

I checked the website of a thai consulate in Germany as well as that of the German embassy in Bangkok, both state that a 'Kinderausweis' is not valid for entering Thailand and you will most probably be sent back at the border/airport.

I'm a bit confused about the terms though. They talk about a 'Kinderausweis' (ID for children), here is the picture.

post-73027-1249204245_thumb.jpg

If you have a proper passport for your kid, even if not the new biometric EU-passport, you should be fine. They also state, that a temporary passport that can be issued by any German embassy should be fine to enter Thailand.

You could also call the German embassy in Bangkok, they should be able to give a clear answer (address below)

OK, here some quotes in German so you can make your own interpretation.

Einreise mit dem Kinderausweis nach Thailand ist nicht möglich.

Deutsche Staatsangehörige, die mit Kindern nach Thailand reisen wollen, müssen beachten, dass eine Einreise mit einem Kinderausweis nach Thailand nicht möglich ist.

Entsprechend den Einreisebestimmungen nach dem thailändischen Immigrationsrecht vom Jahr 1979 Art. 12 benötigen Reisende einen Reisepass oder ein Reisedokument, das nach diesem Recht als vollwertiger Reisepassersatz anerkannt ist.

Da ein deutscher Kinderausweis nach dem thailändischen Immigrationsrecht nicht als ein Reisepass oder ein vollwertiger Reisepassersatz anerkannt werden kann, ist die Einreise von Kindern nur mit einem eigenen EU- oder vorläufigen Reisepass möglich.

Im Fall der Nichtbeachtung dieser Bestimmungen wird die Einreise verweigert, und die Betroffenen müssen die sofortige Rück- oder Weiterreise antreten.

Um Schwierigkeiten zu vermeiden, dürfen Kinder deshalb nur mit einem eigenen EU-Reisepass oder einem eigenen vorläufigen Reisepass, dessen verbleibende Gültigkeitsdauer bei Einreise mindestens sechs Monate betragen muss, nach Thailand einreisen.

Ferner benötigen Reisende für die Einreise nach Thailand neben einem gültigen Reisepass ein bestätigtes Weiter- oder Rückreiseticket.

source: Thai Consulate Frankfurt/Main (http://www.thaigeneralkonsulat.de/de/consular/visa.html#Kinder)

Wichtiger Hinweis

Die Botschaft weist darauf hin, dass deutsche Kinderausweise nicht zur Einreise nach Thailand anerkannt werden!

source: German Embassy Bangkok (http://www.bangkok.diplo.de/Vertretung/bangkok/de/04/Pass/Passangelegenheiten__unterbereich.html)

Einreisebestimmungen für deutsche Staatsangehörige

Reisedokumente

Reisende benötigen neben einem gültigen Reisepass (EU- oder vorläufiger Reisepass), dessen verbleibende Gültigkeitsdauer bei Einreise mindestens sechs Monate betragen muss, ein bestätigtes Weiter- oder Rückreiseticket.

Die Einreise von Kindern ist nur mit einem eigenen EU- oder vorläufigen Reisepass möglich. Die thailändischen Behörden haben bislang den deutschen Kinderreisepass offiziell nicht anerkannt. Bisher sind der Botschaft aber keine Fälle bekannt geworden, in denen Inhabern von Kinderreisepässen die Einreise verweigert wurde. Die Einreise mit einem Kinderausweis ist nicht möglich. Die Betroffenen müssen daher in aller Regel die sofortige Rück- oder Weiterreise antreten. Wenn Kinder nur im Pass der Eltern eingetragen sind, können Probleme bei der Einreise auftreten. Um Schwierigkeiten zu vermeiden, sollten Kinder deshalb nur mit einem eigenen EU-Reisepass oder einem eigenen vorläufigen Reisepass einreisen.

source: German Embassy Bangkok (http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/diplo/de/Laenderinformationen/Thailand/Sicherheitshinweise.html#t5)

Öffnungszeiten und Erreichbarkeit in Notfällen

Adresse Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany

9 South Sathorn Road

Bangkok 10120

Tel. (0066-2) 287 9000

Fax (0066-2) 287 1776 Kanzlei

(0066-2) 285 6232 Rechts- und Konsularreferat

Bereitschaftsdienst

(nur in Notfällen) (006681) 845-6224

Call-Center

Terminvergabe für Visumbeantragung

1900 222 343

Öffnungszeiten Montag - Freitag: 08.30 - 11.30 Uhr

I also checked the regulations for Malaysia, and it seems that the 'Kinderreisepass' is accepted there. But again, I'm confused with the terms, since I'm not sure if 'Kinderausweis' (ID for children) and 'Kinderreisepass' (passport for children) describe the same thing.

But if you've got that paper shown on the picture in the previous thread, I'm pretty sure you better get a temporary passport for your kid from the German embassy in KL, or at least check with the German embassy in Bangkok before you travel to Thailand.

If you are already on the plane to Thailand, good luck! :)

Information for Malaysia....

Der Reisepass muss bei jeder Einreise noch mindestens 6 Monate gültig sein, also auch bei Wiedereinreise im Rahmen von Rundtouren. Vorläufige Reisepässe und Kinderreisepässe werden anerkannt. Kinder sollten möglichst mit eigenem Reisepass oder Kinderreisepass mit Lichtbild reisen. Die Eintragung des Kindes in den Reisepass eines Elternteils ist nur dann zur Einreise ausreichend, wenn ein Lichtbild des Kindes im Pass angebracht ist. Vorherige Reisen nach Israel führen nicht zu Problemen bei der Einreise.

source: German Ministry of Foreign Affairs (http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/diplo/de/Laenderinformationen/Malaysia/Sicherheitshinweise.html#t4)

...and compare this to the information provided on Thailand

Die thailändischen Behörden haben bislang den deutschen Kinderreisepass offiziell nicht anerkannt. Bisher sind der Botschaft aber keine Fälle bekannt geworden, in denen Inhabern von Kinderreisepässen die Einreise verweigert wurde.

Die Einreise mit einem Kinderausweis ist nicht möglich. Die Betroffenen müssen daher in aller Regel die sofortige Rück- oder Weiterreise antreten.

Conclusion:

• Temporary passport or a full-blown international passport for your kid: definitely OK
  • 'Kinderreisepass': probably OK (though still not sure if this is different from 1)
  • 'Kinderausweis': definitely not OK
  • child added to parent's passport: probably a problem, but maybe OK

(me talking to much: definetly! :D )

welo

Edited by welo

Wish I could invite all of you to a beer plus......... I am so impressed how much effort you put into this,

will let you know outcome, Tendency right now is rather to go from KL to Bali.

Dont like clear cut border situations.

Thanks a lot

Wish I could invite all of you to a beer plus......... I am so impressed how much effort you put into this,

will let you know outcome, Tendency right now is rather to go from KL to Bali.

Dont like clear cut border situations.

Thanks a lot

Enjoy your holiday.

Just because I'm curious. Do you have said 'Kinderausweis' (the one on the picture) for your kid or something else? If you've got any different kind of passport I'm pretty sure now that you will have no troubles.

I would not want to have you scared off from coming to Thailand, this country needs every quality tourist it gets at the moment :). And Thailand is surely not something you'd like to miss for no good reason :D

For completeness (and since I was curious), here the information by the German Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Indonesia (Bali).

In short the 'Kinderausweis' is OK if it contains a picture of the child. So Malaysia and Indonesia do accept this special ID/travel document, Thailand does not.

Passports for children ('Kinderreisepass') are accepted by all 3 countries.

Reisedokumente

Der Reisepass muss zum Zeitpunkt der Einreise nach Indonesien noch mindestens sechs Monate gültig sein. Der deutsche Kinderausweis wird nur mit Lichtbild anerkannt, allerdings kann der Kinderausweis zu Rückfragen seitens der indonesischen Behörden führen. Ein eigener Reisepass oder vorläufiger Reisepass garantieren eine reibungslose Einreise.

Kinderreisepässe werden anerkannt und müssen bei der Einreise nach Indonesien ebenfalls noch mindestens 6 Monate gültig sein.

source: http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/diplo/de/La...inweise.html#t3

welo