'cheap' Hotel Recommendations

Ungabunga

Hi,

me and the wife are visiting Phuket this week to attend a mates wedding. They're staying in the Horizon Beach Resort but it's a bit pricey for me at 3500 THB per night. Does anyone have any hotel recommendations for Karon beach area but at maybe 1500 THB per night? Sorry if this has been asked plenty of times before, but would really appreciate any help.

Also, how much will a taxi cost me from the airport to Karon?

I'm looking forward to the trip, haven't been to Phuket for about 5 years, so if you see a semi-drunk bloke wandering along it might just be me!

Cheers

Taxi should be around 400-500 baht.

Especially if you get the metered taxi.

Just ignore everyone coming out of the airport and turn right and cross the small road to a metered taxi group there.

Get them to use the meter. It should be around 400, possibly more depending on time of day and traffic.

Check out the Pacific Club for a very nice hotel with great food on the northern end of Karon.

I think they are around 1200 baht this time of year. (not sure of pricing though)

It's 3 star with pool and big rooms. (some with sea-view)

Guys, many thanks for all your help and time taken to offer your advice, much appreciated. I'm just about to head off for the airport now, but just wanted to tell you that I eventually booked in Phuket Island View, in between Horizon & Kata Villa for 950 THB per night. Now I know about Kata Villas, I can always check out that one also!

I'll maybe post a review when I get back.

Cheers.

Guys, many thanks for all your help and time taken to offer your advice, much appreciated. I'm just about to head off for the airport now, but just wanted to tell you that I eventually booked in Phuket Island View, in between Horizon & Kata Villa for 950 THB per night. Now I know about Kata Villas, I can always check out that one also!

I'll maybe post a review when I get back.

Cheers.

Hi,

Good news for u.I have stayed in Phuket Island View last 3 times I have been to Phuket(most recently may) and it is by a mile the best hotel in the Karon.We have stayed in about 4 other hotels in the area and have payed 4,000 baht per night.We were out for a walk one night and found Phuket Island View and couldnt believe how cheap it was compared to other hotels like Andaman Seaview and Hilton.

We pay 1500 baht per night for big room with balcony and sea view.The beds are huge and rooms modern and very clean.The food in restaurant and room service is super and the pools are clean and always quiet.It could easily be a 4 star hotel.

U will love it,have a great holiday

Thanks for that. Just to let you know a great trip was had by all. The missus loved Phuket (I think she wants us to move there).

Arrived at Airport and avoided the throng of taxi touts, heading straight for the taxi meters as per the advice I was given. We were fortunate enough to have "Mr. Mai" as our driver, who turned out to be one of the most entertaining blokes I've met. He had a nervous twitch which made his arm move, each time jerking the steering wheel, beeping the horn when no-one around and waving to imaginary friends. Class. The fare was 500 Baht. He gave me his card and said that he'd gladly be able to take me to the airport on my return, which he did, again for 500 Baht which I thought was good as everyone else was wanting 800 Baht. On the way back to the airport he decided to stop and buy himself some of his favourite tom ka gai from a local vendor. Good job I wasn't in a hurry. What a bloke.

We passed The Green Man Pub, which I remembered from my last trip 5 years ago. Other than that I hardly recognised some places. Loads of new buildings everywhere, roads being widened etc.

Arrived at the Phuket Island View within about 50 minutes. Nice place, 950 Baht per night including American Breakfast. Has a few swimming pools, is right on the beach (well, off Karon beach Rd) and despite Karon being generally quiet, the hotel still had a few guests which made the afternoons by the pool a bit livelier. The buffet style breakfast was actually quite good, with choice of juices, toast, cereal, ham, bacon, eggs, omelet, hot-dog style sausages, pancakes, fruit. The room was very nice, clean and modern, just as Lionheartirl described and if I return I'll be staying there again.

Here's the taxi driver's details should anyone be visiting Phuket and need an entertaining journey;

Mr. Mai (Taxi No. 19) Tel: 081-8920778, 083-6488344

I liked Phuket in general, although I noted that the prices are a little higher than elsewhere. What is it like for those of you living there? I guess you learn where to go after a while.

I'll be very much looking forward to my next trip. Cheers.

Sugar Palm Resort in Karon has rooms from 900 baht now in low season. Nice rooms with 40" lcd, bathtube and very nice shower.

I paid 400+100 from the airport to that destination.

Edited by asiakid