Former Sex Slave Seeks Help As 4-year-old Found

churchill

She said global awareness about sexual slavery was extremely low and she hoped that joining forces with The Body Shop in a campaign spanning 60 nations would raise the issue's profile.

Hopefully something men will read and take note on (yes i say men, because its usually men who go to places like this..and I mean men of all nationalities). However, i imagine even if most really know this goes on, they prefer to have the rose tinted goggle practically welded on. I guess no one likes to think they are taking advantage of a persons economic status, even if it may teeter on human rights abuse. (and ok..yeh yeh..every situation is different and blah blah..but that is definitely a side to a scene that many like to enjoy in Asia. Those who indulge most likely just dont want to have their illusions shattered.). - This section does not reference child sexual abuse, it is in reference to the above quote in regards to sexual slavery.

As for those who use a child for sexual gratification they should have their balls lopped off and be force fed them. Then a stint in prison should give them a taste of what it is like to be forced against your own will. (Again, i realise women also can commit sexual offenses like this..but not really so common). - This section IS in reference to child sexual abuse. SEPARATE from the first paragraph.

I know i sound like a hard b... but this kind of story turns my stomach. Its so very very sad.

My words were emotionally charged, in reaction to what i read, not the best time to write or say something, but certainly it would seem taken out of context and misread. I agree that some women have a role to play in sexual slavery (and child sexual slavery and abuse). Shocking and disturbing that a parent would sell their child. Desperately sad too the economic situation some face that they would resort to something so low. Maybe they are fed stories that their child will be looked after, given to a wealthy childless family. Whos to know the story the parent is fed, or if it really is a case of heartlessly giving up your child to be sexually abused..which i know happens (for although im accused of not knowing anything on this subject, it is one that i have looked into in some detail (albeit not exclusively in regards to Thailand or Asia), and I try to be informed and support organizations that aid others. I also have some experience of the emotional trauma regarding abuse. Of course, i dont proclaim to know the ins and outs or to have a vast knowledge on the subject, but i do try to be informed, which is more than some who actively go out there and enjoy services from women without thought or consideration for them as human beings. Again, before anyone jumps on me for that statement, i am not saying ALL MEN or ALL SITUATIONS. Seems people can really get defensive when this topic is brought up.

--

With regards to "regular" sex trade (whatever that means! For clarification, this is separate from the above paragraph!), well, the fact is that their may be some human rights abuse issues there too. As unpleasant as that sounds. Most of the men and woman who are for rent in Thailand are from poor social-economic backgrounds. They have nothing to fall back on. No social security. No decent Education. No decent jobs. I realise one could say they could work a regular job. But, as many young adults have the burden of being responsible for their parents and possibly other family members I guess they figure if they work for just a few years in the sex industry, then they will have enough put aside to help out their families. I think many really dont know what they are getting into. I am not blaming Westerners for this, but at the same time financially they are usually better off than their Thai counterparts. I wonder if those men (and women..ok) who come to Thailand to indulge in the bar scene even once put the same money, for what it would cost to hire one girl or boy for one hour, into a charity which actively tries to provide education and aid for the economically vulnerable here. If so, then i applaud them for trying to make a difference and improve the lives and opportunities of others less fortunate. But, i suspect, many dont really want to think about that, or even have the situation change. (I wish to point out here, that im not talking about removing prostitution or trying to be puritanical on that subject, (although i wont apologise for saying that i think people should be in a situation and have opportunities where they can engage in mutually consented sex where money isnt a factor.) There are some high class style go-go bars etc in the west. Im talking about giving people prospects and choices. Opportunities to make an informed decision, not one that is based on necessity. Thats all.)

Im not too eloquent with my words at times, and, as a normal person, upset can get the better of me, particularly with such a sensitive subject. If someone wishes to give an alternative side then im always willing to listen and learn. Its good to be educated in what goes on around me. Its good to also know how to help and when its appropriate to try to help. I think that should go for all of us.

Edited by eek

What you fail to realise is that the majority of prostitution in this country is Thai on Thai. Trying to pin the blame of Thailands problems on foreigners is incorrect and it's not our responsibility to save them from themselves. Also trying to portray prostitutes as victims is also wrong. Maybe in other countries, but here, for the most part not even close. You are dam_n right they could get a normal job, forget all the rationalisations that lazy people come up with to justify immoral behaviour. Theft and mugging is also rationalised by the perpetrators of such crimes.

I absolutely loathe prostitutes and don't use them, so I'm not trying to defend the use of them, but I certainly don't think they are poor victims of society forced to do what they do for lack of options. This has nothing to do with the very real victims of pedophilia and child sex slaves and you shouldn't have brought it up.

Shouldnt have brought it up? Are you saying there is a definite clear line between those who work in that industry out of free choice and those who are coerced into it? Personally i find that hard to believe.

I also do not fail to realise that there is a lot of Thai on Thai prostitution..where did I say otherwise? In fact, i thought i clearly stated that i was talking about ALL nationalities. So im unsure where i gave the impression that im pinning blame on foreigners. My point regarding foreigners was that many come from more economically affluent countries and have access to a higher education standard and usually some disposable income. I think we should be globally conscious about those less fortunate than us. So, if we visit or stay in a country for significant periods of time, then it would also be a good thing to be aware of what is going on around us, and, where applicable, consider trying to help or support.

Now, i am also aware that people have differing opinions as to what constitutes a victim. Sometimes its even merely a victim of circumstance. Yes, some may want a higher standard of life, so prostitution is one (if not the only) way to achieve it. I dont think its always out of greed, some may indeed just want a shiny new phone or whatever, but some may do it out of a desire to give their children more opportunities in life in the future. There are no cut and dry reasons...imo, and certainly no clear cut line. (For example, i read one story of a young girl who went to work in the bars in Bangkok because at home her brother prostituted her out to his friends from a young age. She had no choice in that. As her self-esteem was shot down to zero anyway, she figured later on that she may as well sell her body for better money outside of her home town. Yes, she did make a choice to work in a bar..but out of what circumstance...?)

I also have no personal experience of the different venues where girls work. But, even in the upper end, i doubt if the men who go there will ever get the real stories from the girls. If they are coerced into working there, its highly unlikely they will tell their customers. Fear is a great silencer.

Unless you can prove to me 100% that in the venues around Thailand these girls/ladies (and boys/men) are all doing it out of choice and are not coerced, possibly underage, and actual possible victims of sexual slavery then please dont lecture me on what i should and should not bring up. I doubt many venues who do force individuals to work in the sex trade, even the nice glitzy "high class" ones, have a sign saying "we force our staff against their will to work here".

--

Edit: and for further clarification my posts have been about sexual slavery and being coerced into the sex trade amongst adults, not just about child sexual slavery. Sexual slavery of children is absolutely appalling, but also sexual slavery of adults and young adults isnt something that should be ignored either. The opening post addressed both child sexual slavery and adult sexual slavery, which my posts reflect.

Edited by eek

yet more posts attempting to deviate the importance of this subject matter to their own personal agenda against other posters have been removed. This is not the topic to attempt to score points. Anyone unhappy with my descision can contact support (at) thaivisa.com but fyi, further attempts on this thread will result in a long suspension.

I do find the attitude of some of the posters on this forum bordering on rank hypocrisy regarding this topic. I mean, at what age is it acceptable for a female to either sell her body for sex, or having it sold for her? Do any of the posters with the 'wink wink nudge nudge' and most recently, outright outrage at any attempt to 'modify' this particular aspect of Thailand's 'tourism' give a thought to how old the gogo girls/pole dancers/karaoke and farang targeted beer bar sex workers actually started working, either by choice, necessity or coersion in this very lucrative industry? Or does everyone believe that they all simply decide that that was what they wanted to do 'when they left school', same as the West?

This poor child was saved. How many weren't and are now so entranched in this line of work they know nothing else? Have any of you bothered to ask?

She said global awareness about sexual slavery was extremely low and she hoped that joining forces with The Body Shop in a campaign spanning 60 nations would raise the issue's profile.

Hopefully something men will read and take note on (yes i say men, because its usually men who go to places like this..and I mean men of all nationalities). However, i imagine even if most really know this goes on, they prefer to have the rose tinted goggle practically welded on. I guess no one likes to think they are taking advantage of a persons economic status, even if it may teeter on human rights abuse. (and ok..yeh yeh..every situation is different and blah blah..but that is definitely a side to a scene that many like to enjoy in Asia. Those who indulge most likely just dont want to have their illusions shattered.).

As for those who use a child for sexual gratification they should have their balls lopped off and be force fed them. Then a stint in prison should give them a taste of what it is like to be forced against your own will. (Again, i realise women also can commit sexual offenses like this..but not really so common).

I know i sound like a hard b... but this kind of story turns my stomach. Its so very very sad.

Agree with you 100% on this one eek, for anyone to enslave someone else ( sexually or otherwise), is

truly appalling. Thank goodness this brave lady is prepared to put herself at risk to help these poor unfortunates. Hopefully with the Body Shop's participation, this subject will gain a much higher profile, resulting in a considerable reduction in this evil practice. How people can commit such evil acts against children is beyond my comprehension.

Shouldnt have brought it up? Are you saying there is a definite clear line between those who work in that industry out of free choice and those who are coerced into it? Personally i find that hard to believe.

I also do not fail to realise that there is a lot of Thai on Thai prostitution..where did I say otherwise? In fact, i thought i clearly stated that i was talking about ALL nationalities. So im unsure where i gave the impression that im pinning blame on foreigners. My point regarding foreigners was that many come from more economically affluent countries and have access to a higher education standard and usually some disposable income. I think we should be globally conscious about those less fortunate than us. So, if we visit or stay in a country for significant periods of time, then it would also be a good thing to be aware of what is going on around us, and, where applicable, consider trying to help or support.

Now, i am also aware that people have differing opinions as to what constitutes a victim. Sometimes its even merely a victim of circumstance. Yes, some may want a higher standard of life, so prostitution is one (if not the only) way to achieve it. I dont think its always out of greed, some may indeed just want a shiny new phone or whatever, but some may do it out of a desire to give their children more opportunities in life in the future. There are no cut and dry reasons...imo, and certainly no clear cut line. (For example, i read one story of a young girl who went to work in the bars in Bangkok because at home her brother prostituted her out to his friends from a young age. She had no choice in that. As her self-esteem was shot down to zero anyway, she figured later on that she may as well sell her body for better money outside of her home town. Yes, she did make a choice to work in a bar..but out of what circumstance...?)

I also have no personal experience of the different venues where girls work. But, even in the upper end, i doubt if the men who go there will ever get the real stories from the girls. If they are coerced into working there, its highly unlikely they will tell their customers. Fear is a great silencer.

Unless you can prove to me 100% that in the venues around Thailand these girls/ladies (and boys/men) are all doing it out of choice and are not coerced, possibly underage, and actual possible victims of sexual slavery then please dont lecture me on what i should and should not bring up. I doubt many venues who do force individuals to work in the sex trade, even the nice glitzy "high class" ones, have a sign saying "we force our staff against their will to work here".

--

Edit: and for further clarification my posts have been about sexual slavery and being coerced into the sex trade amongst adults, not just about child sexual slavery. Sexual slavery of children is absolutely appalling, but also sexual slavery of adults and young adults isnt something that should be ignored either. The opening post addressed both child sexual slavery and adult sexual slavery, which my posts reflect.

Would you prefer they starved?

And again, the clear majority in Thailand or any other country involved in the trade is so of their own choice. Yes, many of them due so due to burdening money-obligations, but they also chose it over continuing to work in restaurants etc, they were not tricked into the trade.

People kidnapped, tricked and sold into the trade should be rescued and the guilty punished harshly. But don't equate some peoples belief that victimless crimes should be legalized as in any way condoning kidnapping, slavery etc. The are two very different things and in many cases most men will never ever, even if visiting a lot of brothels, encounter anyone that is in fact in this state of force.

Can you prove to me 100% that the staff working at starbucks are doing it out of choice and are not coerced or possibly underage?

What percentage of the girls working in gogo bars are sex slaves do you think, and what evidence do you have?

In countries like New zealand where prostitution is legal and they have abundant brothels are they also sex slaves or coerced, or do you think they prefer working there because the work is easy and the pay a bit higher than a factory job (the charge for short time is slightly higher than in thailand)?

Has the article being followed up with the court case against the brothel owner and clients where the baby sex slave was held? I know no one would just take the word of the person from the NGO about he/she finding a 4 year old working in a brothel.

Right?

Edited by clausewitz

Without trying to come across as all macho I could safely say I could put a bullet through the head of a child sex trafficker and have the best night's sleep of my life.

If somebody touched a hair on my daughter's head and I find them they're dead and <deleted> the consequences.

This is because you are obviously a responsible and caring parent. These so called parents who sell their kids to pay off debts should be sterilised, at best. As a parent myself it is completely inconceivable how anyone could treat their own child like a commodity. The law should come down on these "parents" as well as the sick f#ck customers, then maybe people would not sell their kids off so readily.

the innonance of a child should never be compromised as we all know, why are there not higher penalties for child sex, even in OZ the media reported a man hiding in the toilets looking at kids, the police were called and the man was given a warning and told not to come back there again............the system is sadly failing these poor children throughout the world

This posting, let alone the topic itself, would not even exist here if it wasn't for the LOCAL police enforcement and governments turning a blind eye to the child sex slavery industry. We all know, or can imagine, the potential profits and who benefits from (or receives) them.

YOU want to make a difference? Forget about preaching about, and to, the parents, the customers, the kids themselves....take action with the LOCAL POLICE AND GOVERNMENT AGENCIES. Tell them that you represent such and such tourist/trade organization/group from US, Australia, Europe, and that you'll not do business with a country that condones child sex slavery. In other words, hit them where it hurts, the money pit.....Oh, but that is difficult to do, you say? Yes, it's difficult! But if it wasn't difficult, it probably wouldn't be worth doing anyway....

Hey, instead of arguing about the sad state of affairs our world is in, why don't we try to help someone out who is trying to prevent this from happening right now? This got buried in the argument on the last page:

I'm in a bit of a predicament right now. Yesterday a younger sister of my g.f. (only distantly related, actually), showed up and is looking for work. She's 19, v. attractive, but no marketable skills as far as I can fathom at this early stage. She was born and raised in a Thai hill tribe village, but has no prospect for Thai ID card (actually, that's a BIIIIG factor which facilitates exploitation, namely: Thailand continuing to disenfranchise hill tribers).

I can offer the kid a place to stay and ask her to assist around the homestead (laundry, cooking, gardening, etc) but she's ripe for bolting - already talking of karaoke bars, which, as we know, is just a kiss away from more hard core venues.

She's also ripe for exploitation. A Thai man or woman could readily come along, see the attractive shapely vulnerable girl, and make an offer of gainful employment in (Bkk, Pattaya, Phuket, ......fill in the blanks). Once the girl agrees, she's essentially the property of whomever dupes her, and she can be sold to servitude.

Am not sure what to do.

I know she is 19 years old, not a child by any measure, but this is the exact turning point where prostitution becomes an attractive option for these girls here in Thailand. If they are saddled with a lack of education, little hope of legitimate employment, previous problems of family/upbringing, pregnancy, or influenced by friends/pimps, these girls start to see selling their bodies as an easy way to make money. I think education is key here, but that would require starting with them when they are young.

The only thing I can think of is making a life outside of prostitution more attractive than one in it, but I'm not sure how to in your case. Being in an urban area doesn't help, I'm sure she is being influenced by perceptions of karaoke girls having money to do whatever they want, while only having to sit around and look pretty to earn it. She probably won't listen if you try to tell her about the real lives of these girls, and the dangers of pregnancy, drug addiction, etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions or anecdotes of what has worked in similar circumstances?

....or influenced by friends/pimps....

I don't think they're influenced by "friends/pimps". I think they're influenced by Nokia, Samsung, Sony, Honda, D&G and what they see every day on Thai TV, etc. Oh, and one or two gold shops. It's all about the money. Always has been, always will be.

Edited by sibeymai

I guess this is why all the farang men head to places like Pattaya. I guess these men and supporters of such an industry will say there is no such thing in Pattaya but they never take the blinkers off. Ped's are swarming the streets there. It is the actions of the sex tourists that encourages and supports this activity.

I guess this is why all the farang men head to places like Pattaya. I guess these men and supporters of such an industry will say there is no such thing in Pattaya but they never take the blinkers off. Ped's are swarming the streets there. It is the actions of the sex tourists that encourages and supports this activity.

But fractionally in comparison to the Thai on Thai industry. Maybe 10% of that.

The Farhang meat markets are as much for money, as husband hunting for guys,

who can support them for much less effort on their parts.

I have been thinking of Brahmburgers niece, and see it as her choice, bit a poor one,

since she is living the Thai Girl one-ups-manship lifestyle in her head. There's the rub.

It is about status and bling and not getting looked down on by the other girls in your age group.

And believe me I HAVE seen girls on the game , shaming 'good girls' publicly,

as poor, and not of the same status. Yes, in spite of the prostitution source of their funds,

they STILL feel they are higher status by what they can spend and show around.

Or just their farahng boyfriend who is 'rescuing them' from having to 'work'.

A noxious melding of the kow tow society and western acquisitiveness, both glorified on TV.

Add to that the us against all who don't 'conform' Thai offical attitude

against hill-tribe people getting proper papers, and being integrated

into society and it's a bad bad mix.

There is a group called Greyman that I can find no mention of on Thai Visa. This is from the link

This program is about a former commando who's made it his mission to save children from the sex trade in Thailand.

Posing as a paedophile and using the pseudonym 'John Curtis', he works undercover to infiltrate trafficking rings and rescue children.

It's shadowy work seemingly at odds with his full time desk job as a Brisbane public servant.

But Curtis has established a registered charity in Queensland and his work has been endorsed by several international aid groups and the Thai authorities.

The documentory from ABC TV Australia (Highly ethical public TV) is essential viewing for all who are disgusted by this subject.

http://www.abc.net.au/austory/specials/sha...rey/default.htm

Just viewed that link and he should be rewarded in some way. The man is doing a wonderful job and makes me proud to be Australian. The sooner the thai authorities close down all these bars in places like Pattaya the better

Hey, instead of arguing about the sad state of affairs our world is in, why don't we try to help someone out who is trying to prevent this from happening right now? This got buried in the argument on the last page:
I'm in a bit of a predicament right now.

I can offer the kid a place to stay and ask her to assist around the homestead (laundry, cooking, gardening, etc) but she's ripe for bolting - already talking of karaoke bars, which, as we know, is just a kiss away from more hard core venues.

Am not sure what to do.

The only thing I can think of is making a life outside of prostitution more attractive than one in it, but I'm not sure how to in your case. Being in an urban area doesn't help, I'm sure she is being influenced by perceptions of karaoke girls having money to do whatever they want, while only having to sit around and look pretty to earn it. She probably won't listen if you try to tell her about the real lives of these girls, and the dangers of pregnancy, drug addiction, etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions or anecdotes of what has worked in similar circumstances?

theres really not much that can be done, not more than what brahburgers is already attempting to do. provide family support, advice, a safe environment, and one where she can learn. (maybe your wife can teach her some cooking skills? later maybe she can then try and go sell at some school or something like that?)

another option would be - if he and the wife can encourage the girl to take up courses. it doesnt have to any formal education courses, there are short courses for basic skills that people can enrol into.

check the Rajabhat institutes or vocational colleges for options.

not having an ID card could pose a hindrance ofcourse, but there is no harm in trying. I read some months ago that the government had actually issued a law whereby all people living in thailand are entitled to attend schools. But the implementation process has been slow, or those at schools fail to realise or simply ignore the existence of the law.

good luck, and really nice of you to try to help

Really - I had a real cupcake a while back, who had no marketable skills, other than being very, very pretty. I arranged for her to get a job at a Dusit as I was leaving for a while, she went to nite school also - realized that the BG thingy was a nono.

I spoke with her a few weeks back and she had met a great young man, they have settled in together - she now works for herself on eBay - one of the other skills I taught her.

It is actually real easy to do - it is a normal part of our social behavior patterns - we simply need to want to help.

BR>Jack

good luck, and really nice of you to try to help

I guess its a case of demand and supply.

There always has been and always will be a sector of every society and culture that finds sex with children attractive, forbidden fruit, fresh meat etc.

Is this possibly a historical part of SE Asian culture?....is there a long culture of men/women enjoying younger flesh in these parts or has this only recently started happening?

There is less chances of kids being sold into servitude if the business was fully legalized and the women had all protection of normal workers, as has happened in some locations in the west finally. We have to realize it isn't going away and focus on helping those involved to be properly protected as in any other job. Or more, during a transition period.

agreed

This posting, let alone the topic itself, would not even exist here if it wasn't for the LOCAL police enforcement and governments turning a blind eye to the child sex slavery industry. We all know, or can imagine, the potential profits and who benefits from (or receives) them.

Cops do more than 'turn a blind eye' to it. I spoke with one brothel manager who told me as soon as she gets one or more new girls from Burma, she's obliged to call some particular cops right away (some are top brass), because they want front of the queue.

I'm in a bit of a predicament right now. Yesterday a younger sister of my g.f. (only distantly related, actually), showed up and is looking for work. She's 19, v. attractive, but no marketable skills as far as I can fathom at this early stage. She was born and raised in a Thai hill tribe village, but has no prospect for Thai ID card (actually, that's a BIIIIG factor which facilitates exploitation, namely: Thailand continuing to disenfranchise hill tribers).

She's also ripe for exploitation. A Thai man or woman could readily come along, see the attractive shapely vulnerable girl, and make an offer of gainful employment in (Bkk, Pattaya, Phuket, ......fill in the blanks). Once the girl agrees, she's essentially the property of whomever dupes her, and she can be sold to servitude.

Am not sure what to do.

I know she is 19 years old, not a child by any measure, but this is the exact turning point where prostitution becomes an attractive option for these girls here in Thailand. If they are saddled with a lack of education, little hope of legitimate employment, previous problems of family/upbringing, pregnancy, or influenced by friends/pimps, these girls start to see selling their bodies as an easy way to make money. I think education is key here, but that would require starting with them when they are young.

Update on the girl, who I thought was 19, but is actually 18 (or 17 in farang years).

She's built strong, like an African, with curves in all the right places. We worked a half day, putting up metal poles and stretching electric wire 100 meters. Then did some gardening, which she was rather knowledgeable about. Next day she said she had to go home, a 3 hour twisting bus trek snaking around steep hills to the Burmese border. I gave her Bt.500 and wished her luck, though it still wouldn't surprise me if she got sucked in to the bar girl trade in one of the cities further south b4 2 long. At least several of her friends are crowing about it and the easy money. One called while we were working and went on about earning Bt.80,000 profit in three months. That's a big amount of baht for a girl to contemplate, who's only other options are things like being a 70 hr/week shop girl for about Bt.2,600/month - with none of the glitz.

Stories like this remind me of my short visit to Cambodia, only 3 years ago.

A Irish traveller I met in Thailand told of an 8-year old girl coming up to him in a hotel foyer and rubbing his leg in sexual way and I never thought anything like that would happen to be. But at Angkor Thom a cute little girl about 4-5 years old came up to me and:

Girl: Do you want food?

Me: No thank you.

Girl: Do you want drink?

Me: No thank you.

Girl: Do you want make boom boom with me?

That, and the murder of the new owner of a bar the night before he was due to take ownership, were particularly low points on that journey :-(

Thanks alot for posting the link about gray man I have just watched the film about the ozzies from down under i have never heard of gray man b4 now , its a pitty there is not more blokes like them.I take my hat of to them ,they are doing a great job .

When ever i got to thailand i go to pattaya with my other half.And as i dont drink i dont go to bars,so not all farangs go there for what some folks on here seem to think.Its jut not my cup of tea.

Edited by deon