European Family Name

After our recent marriage my wife changed her family name to my european Surname, passport, ID Card the lot.

Today I was told by a friend that this had bad implications if in the future we wished to own property and register the land in her name.

Can anyone shed some light here. :)

After our recent marriage my wife changed her family name to my european Surname, passport, ID Card the lot.

Today I was told by a friend that this had bad implications if in the future we wished to own property and register the land in her name.

Can anyone shed some light here. :)

Provided she retains her Thai citizenship the fact she married a Farang and took his surname has absoltely no affect on her rights to buy land in Thailand.

Many years ago it was against the law but the law was changed.

As an aside - I married at the time it was impossible for my wife to buy land because she was married to me, so we bought land in the name of our daughter....... who was 3 years old at the time. Shows how crazy the law was!

Patrick

I agree with the other posters, no problem. My wife has taken my European family name and she bought land in her name two months ago. I had to sign the no-claim document, but that was expected.

Edited by stgrhe

Yup ^^^ should be no issue, the law was changed some time back.

That said, some rural offices may not be aware (it was only 10 years ago IIRC) :)

My wife did not change her name to mine, she actually changed it back to her fathers name, this causes us infinitely more problems :D

My wife also changed her last name to mine. At the time, it appeared to make no difference. The current trend is now looking a lot different. My wife is somewhat of a wheeler dealer and has gotten some grief from the local land office. Rules, you have to call them rules because they are certainly NOT laws are formulated to fit whatever the powers at the land office think they should be. My wife is now dragging her mother to the land office and the properties go in her mother's name. It makes me no difference because I have nothing to do with it financially or otherwise. Land offices like immigration offices make the rules as they go and as they see fit. The law has VERY little to do with the rules.

No problem with family name.

Patrick - I thought you could not put land into a juniors name until they reached a certain age?

This was more than 20 years ago, the law was changed I believe, however we still have the original Chanotes in our daughters name so it was cetainly possible at the time.

Patrick

There is no problem with her having whatever name she chooses with regards to owning land.

There ARE problems. Try telling the land office that they are wrong.

Your wife is Thai, how can they stop her buying land?

Brigante7.

I enquired about registering land in my daughters name instead of her mother's but Mum pointed out it was not possible (so I never enquired any more) I would have been upset if it was and she had lied........ as if a Thai would lie hahaha

It is possible but the land is held in trust and can't be sold until the child is 20 years old I think, although if I'm wrong I'm sure I'll be corrected.

Brigante7.

I enquired about registering land in my daughters name instead of her mother's but Mum pointed out it was not possible (so I never enquired any more) I would have been upset if it was and she had lied........ as if a Thai would lie hahaha

It is possible but the land is held in trust and can't be sold until the child is 20 years old I think, although if I'm wrong I'm sure I'll be corrected.

Brigante7.

Yes - now I recall, we were told that we could not sell the land without Court approval until our daughter was a certain age - 18 or 20 I forget now.

As I say however, I think the law was changed some time ago and the child now has to be a certain age before Land can be Registered in her name.

Patrick

There is no problem with her having whatever name she chooses with regards to owning land.

There ARE problems. Try telling the land office that they are wrong.

Your wife is Thai, how can they stop her buying land?

Brigante7.

As previously mentioned, I know very little about it other than she was upset and is now putting things in her mother's name. She has several chanotes in her name that were acquired after we were married.

As previously mentioned, I know very little about it other than she was upset and is now putting things in her mother's name. She has several chanotes in her name that were acquired after we were married.

Did you sign the letter of confirmation for each transaction? If not, then she maybe has reason to upset.

TH

Did you sign the letter of confirmation for each transaction? If not, then she maybe has reason to upset.

TH

Yes indeed. Without my signing the paper saying that I had no financial interest, they would not make the transfer.