A question about water filters...

I'm thinking of installing a filter in my Pattaya house to provide drinking water (and possibly cooking water, depending on plumbing). I've seen systems for sale in Tesco etc. for 5-10kBaht, depending on design.

Anyone have experience of these types of system? What are the running costs (presumably the filters have to be replaced regularly), and what sort of flow rate is achieved (no good if just a trickle)? With bottled water selling at 30Baht for 6 litres it would obviously take a long time to recoup the investment so this would really just be for convenience.

An alternative is to splash out (no pun intended) on a proper water cooler and have the water delivered in the really huge bottles. Anyone any experience of the service reliability on delivery, etc?

Cheers

DM :o

Surely some members here have installed a water filter.

I haven't installed one as I have no idea on their real effectiveness and am a bit suspicious of many models I've seen.

I doubt very much that a 5000 baht filter system really works and if it does, what kind of maintenance is necessary to keep it running properly.

Maybe I'm being paranoid but I've always wondered about the quality of some of the drinking water in LOS, be it the ice cubes bought at the store or the big bottles you can get delivered.

I'm curious to see if anyone has ever had any water analyzed in Thailand.

(Topic moved)

Edited by penzman

Water has indeed been analyzed and here in Bangkok the tap water was better than the bottled type even 20 years ago - and in all likelihood still is.

That said most people, even in Bangkok, still use some treatment. I use the normal three filter type unit most restaurants have with activated charcoal, resin and then a ceramic/silver filter for drinking tap. Flow is good if you keep the filter clean but slows as it get dirty. You can scrub (Scotchbrite works good) the dirt off and use until cleaning does not give good flow. This will remove most things and if you want more they have UV filter also available for these. The ceramic filters last a very long time.

Believe the RO systems are the most effective but some have not been happy with taste and have never used myself.

Water has indeed been analyzed and here in Bangkok the tap water was better than the bottled type even 20 years ago - and in all likelihood still is. 

The ceramic filters last a very long time. 

Believe the RO systems are the most effective but some have not been happy with taste and have never used myself.

Read about the the Tap water tests a couple of years ago and Yes appears to be true. :o and may still be so... :D

We have the ceramic types in our place/places and I have never had any problems drinking the stuff.

In the earlier days when I started travelling (oil lamps,rick shaws and elephants)it was all ways suggested that you use bottled H2O for brushing teeth,cleaning the funny bits etc ...but only time I would buy it is to add to a single malt (Crivens ...help ma boab)

Even up in the sticks and straight out of the river if in doubt give it a good boil up.....it dosnt make the Cha lon-Chai-taste any better but then thats due to the ......errr.... water .. :D

I don't think they're nessacarily cost effective, but just saves the hassle of ordering and getting gallons of water delivered.

My hubbys mum bought one from Amway, was appently about 400 dollers! :o

but far more convenient!

I’ve been using them for over two years.

A metal three filter, three tap system model for the last 15 months. Cost was about 6,000 baht including fitting and no problems with stomach bugs or anything yet.

Was told by the supplier that the three filter canisters need changing at two years and they will be back around that time to do the service.

Used a cheaper plastic two filter system before that from Big C, but although the water seemed ok, the valve system leaked after a few months, and the filters need changing every six months.

Not sure if they are cost effective, but the convenience wins for me.

Mike.

I don't know about Bangkok, but here in Pattaya I would NEVER drink the tap water. It stink of chlor for starters. We buy these, I think 10 liter, tanks for 10 baht each. The water seems clean and taste great and we've never had any problems from it. It's so cheap we use it for practically everything.

There's a more expensive variant available, reverse osmosis, in clear bottles, cost 20 baht per bottle. Tried it for a while but couldn't taste or see any difference so though what the heck.

The 3 filter ones that have seperate plastic housings are quite expensive too maintain.

Generally (depending on brand)

Filter 1 clean every month, change every year

Filter 2 change every 3 months (some brands clean and replace after year)

Filter 3 change every year

Comes out at around 2500 baht a year in filter cost

Alternative is box like thing (conway brand) that has three filters out of view where you change the filters every year for about 800 baht

Have fitted 3 Reverse Osmosis units over the last 4 years and to date no problems with either taste or bugs.Flow is reasonable and the small systems offered in Homepro etc are fine for a normal household.Filters under normal circumstances need yearly replacement and you can see as flows diminishes when thats due.I also have a water cooler and top up the big bottle from the RO system.

Seems the way to go for me as no worries on when the water will be delivered or lugging bottles from the supermarket.

ciao :o

Edited by trawler