Art cinema, foreign films

jasonc

Does anyone know a theater in BKK which specializes in non hollywood films? Any foreign Films with English subtitles?

How about a DVD store that has a good selection of Foreign Films with English subtitles?

I can't read Thai well enough to keep up...

Check out Aliance Francaise on South Sathorn Road or the Goethe Institute in Soi 1 South Sathorn Road.

Cinema at Emporium sometimes shows non-commercial films, you can try checking the schedule.  

There's this DVD shop that I usually go to in Panthip where you can buy classic like Kurosawa's Yojimbo or Rashomon.  Unfortunately, due to the wonderful APEC meeting, my favourite shop has to close down....until this thing is over.

For things related to art and film in Bangkok, check out http://www.art4d.com.  It's in English/Thai.

Having terrible headache, anything else I can think of, will let you know.

Having lived in places where quality cinema is not available for 15 years or so I suggest getting hold of a catalog from Movies Direct or others and put together your own selection. It becomes expensive when you haven't seen the film, order it and it is a dud. But if you have access to internet press services and cinema reviews therein you can limit the risk. In the Friday r.t. section of the BKK Post a person named Plalai Faifa does a DVD release review mostly of classics and is worth a read.

I howl at the injustice...I have about $1000 invested in video cassettes accumulated while abroad to find that they are now obsolete. Mizoguchi's 'Tokyo Story' cost me $80 and now my VCR has about packed up...I abandon country, friends and family for this???

Sheesh...