Cash To Thailand

You would probably loose quite a lot because of the exchange rate for the notes. There are two better alternatives:

1. If you have a bank account here: Transfer the money to your Thai account in AUD, not THB; or

2. You don't have an account: Use Western Union and transfer AUD to Bank Ayuttaya, then pick up the money in THB once you have arrived.

By the way, you need a non-immigrant visa and proof of an address here to be able to register a motor vehicle in your name.

If you bring $10,000 AUD out of OZ you need to declare it at the airport on your way out. I just come over a week ago bought a wad of $100 bills and changed at the airport, only hiccup was one was torn and they would not take it. Bangkok bank web site http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/We...es/FX+Rates.htm will give you up to date buying rates, I don't know about using western union there fees are rather steep. You can use most bank ATM cards from Australia in ATMS here also the rate is a little lower with a 150 baht withdrawal fee. I use NAB with no worries getting cash out here.

If you bring $10,000 AUD out of OZ you need to declare it at the airport on your way out.

In Australia this is true. :) However, in Thailand, customs states that one can bring in or take out any amount of foreign currency. You can't not bring in or take out more then 20,000THB in cash though.

Edited by khunjake

Currency

There is no limit to the amount of currency you can bring in or out of Australia. However, you must declare amounts of A$10,000 or more in Australian currency or foreign equivalent. If asked by Customs you must also fill in a Bearer Negotiable Instruments (BNI) form if you're carrying promissory notes, travellers cheques, personal cheques, money orders or postal orders.

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4725

If you bring $10,000 AUD out of OZ you need to declare it at the airport on your way out.

In Australia this is true. :) However, in Thailand, customs states that one can bring in or take out any amount of foreign currency. You can't not bring in or take out more then 20,000THB in cash though.

but you have to declare if the amount exceeds USD 20,000! the limit for THB is 50,000 except to and from a neighbouring country. then it's 500,000.

Thanks fella's.

I know that i have to declare that amount to Aussie customs....no worries.

However am wondering..

1). Will i have any problems on entry if i just say nothing.

2). Will the rate be of any benifit by changing $A to Thai Bhat.

From experience i think that it would cost too much to transfer via Western Union.

I suppose i could use Travelex Cash Passport linked to my Commonwealth Acct. With this i can withdraw up to $A6,000 per 24 hrs ($A3.75. per withdrawal).

Thanks for any help so my next question will be , where to buy the car, probably Honda CRV.

• 1 month later...
Thanks fella's.

I know that i have to declare that amount to Aussie customs....no worries.

However am wondering..

1). Will i have any problems on entry if i just say nothing.

2). Will the rate be of any benifit by changing $A to Thai Bhat.

From experience i think that it would cost too much to transfer via Western Union.

I suppose i could use Travelex Cash Passport linked to my Commonwealth Acct. With this i can withdraw up to $A6,000 per 24 hrs ($A3.75. per withdrawal).

Thanks for any help so my next question will be , where to buy the car, probably Honda CRV.

Its OK! i went to Thai Consulate in Brisbane today (08/09/2009) and they said that i will not have to declare such a small ??? amount.

i have been bringing in 20.000 / 25-000 us dollars for years.untill now no problems.thousands of people do it every month such as people buying wholesale here and i have never heard of any problems

you can get an excellent cash rate of exchange at mr money in between pratunam and world trade centre - just make sure that you bring big denominations