Home Made Pie! Help Needed

bikerman

Hi All,

I would be grateful if anyone could help me how to make pastry for pies. Back home my XXX used frozen pastry which I have never found in LOS living in Issan, we have tried using all purpose flour but turned out to hard, what are we doing wrong????? :) …………..any help would be much appreciated :D .

Eagerly awaiting first real homemade meat pie

Hi All,

I would be grateful if anyone could help me how to make pastry for pies. Back home my XXX used frozen pastry which I have never found in LOS living in Issan, we have tried using all purpose flour but turned out to hard, what are we doing wrong????? :) …………..any help would be much appreciated :D .

I think you may have issues finding ready made pastry where you are. The packet version is available in BKK in foodland and is ok.

I believe there are 2 ways for the pastry.

1. If you can't find self raising flour then you will need baking soda. Check on the internet for recipe and method.

2. If you can actually find self raising flour then it should be easy, again I would check the internet as above.

Hi All,

I would be grateful if anyone could help me how to make pastry for pies. Back home my XXX used frozen pastry which I have never found in LOS living in Issan, we have tried using all purpose flour but turned out to hard, what are we doing wrong????? :D …………..any help would be much appreciated :D .

I think you may have issues finding ready made pastry where you are. The packet version is available in BKK in foodland and is ok.

I believe there are 2 ways for the pastry.

1. If you can't find self raising flour then you will need baking soda. Check on the internet for recipe and method.

2. If you can actually find self raising flour then it should be easy, again I would check the internet as above.

Thank you, as you say packet pastry is very good use to be able to buy in Lotus, now never seem to stock again.

I will look for self raising flour to-day if can not fine then will add baking soda...living in hope, thanks again.

Cheers. :)

It's amazing how many people haven't heard about a site called "Google"

I went to this strange and (apparently) little known site where I typed in "pie pastry recipe". To my shock and surprise it showed me that 36,700,000 results were found.

I can never figure out why people ask so many general questions here.

I went to this strange and (apparently) little known site where I typed in "pie pastry recipe". To my shock and surprise it showed me that 36,700,000 results were found.

Yes also amazes me how many negative people on TV!!!!!! I asked simple question and not been a chef I thought I would be able to receive advise from response sensible TV members who maybe have tried with Thai flour.

Go on looking though TV and make your snide comments as this seems what you get off on….to much beer last night had we? Yes I have heard of Google also heard of TV western food, members whom are willing to assist on any subject and if not mistaken I though that what TV was for……crawl back in your hole. Pratt.

Yes also amazes me how many negative people on TV!!!!!! I asked simple question and not been a chef I thought I would be able to receive advise from response sensible TV members who maybe have tried with Thai flour.

Go on looking though TV and make your snide comments as this seems what you get off on….to much beer last night had we? Yes I have heard of Google also heard of TV western food, members whom are willing to assist on any subject and if not mistaken I though that what TV was for……crawl back in your hole. Pratt.

Why do you yell everything?

Judging by the tone of your reply, it appears that you may be the one who had TOO many beers last night.

It just happened to occur to me when I saw your very general inquiry that TV may not be the best place to ask about making pastry. Had you inquired about where one can find pre-made pie pastry in Thailand, that would make sense, but...

Anyway, you try to chill and relax a bit. As the Thais say, "Jai yen"

BTW, some of those recipes on Google look really good and easy, and with so many to choose from I bet your pie will be wonderful.

Have a nice day!

Edited by Beacher

Rather than trailing through endless recipes and clicking on the wrong type of site, I like posting for info here. Some people have some great info and enjoy replying to other's requests. I know I do.

It also gives people who are maybe new to TV the chance to express themselves and enjoy the site for some of what it is.

Regards Bojo

Rather than trailing through endless recipes and clicking on the wrong type of site, I like posting for info here. Some people have some great info and enjoy replying to other's requests. I know I do.

It also gives people who are maybe new to TV the chance to express themselves and enjoy the site for some of what it is.

Regards Bojo

Agreed, sometime asking for help you make new friends and find out many useful things. As you say why troll though internet when you can ask for help, I am not to proud to ask.

Have nice day :)

Judging by the tone of your reply, it appears that you may be the one who had TOO many beers last night.

It just happened to occur to me when I saw your very general inquiry that TV may not be the best place to ask about making pastry. Had you inquired about where one can find pre-made pie pastry in Thailand, that would make sense, but...

Anyway, you try to chill and relax a bit. As the Thais say, "Jai yen"

BTW, some of those recipes on Google look really good and easy, and with so many to choose from I bet your pie will be wonderful.

Have a nice day!

One thing, I dont drink or yell everything only when some idiot tries to be sarcastic :D only asked question...sure my pies will turn out very nice :) practise makes perfect.

Here ya go, my friend.

A tried and true, and flaky, pie crust you can make easily at home.

----------------------------------------

PIE CRUST

2 Cups flour (all-purpose)

1/2 tsp. salt

2/3 Cup shortening

1/3 Cup ice water

Mix/mash flour, salt and shortening with a fork until the mixture looks crumbly, like small peas.

Add ice water and continue to mix with a fork - when it becomes too stiff for the fork, use your hands to kneed it until uniform.

If it is difficult to work all the flour in, add up to 1 Tb more water (depends on weather - probably not needed in humid Thailand)).

Flour a bread board. Pat out 1/2 of the dough on floured board, and roll out with rolling pin, turning every so often so it doesn't stick to the board. Try to achieve an even thickness of about 1/8".

You are now ready to carefully lift it into pie pan (it should be over-sized for the pan).

This is best done by gently rolling it up, lifting the roll into the pan, and then unrolling it inside the pan.

Trim the edges to fit the pan. Flute the rim if desired.

Recipe makes about 3 crusts -- enough for a 2-crust pie (top and bottom) plus a 1-crust pie (if you roll it thin. I usually have not quite enough for a 3rd pie shell). I usually get two perfect 9" deep-dish pie crusts, plus a little leftover that I can roll out thin, butter the top, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, and bake a nice and quick little pastry treat (the kids love it).

When making a one-crust pie, be sure to put fork holes in the bottom and sides of the crust before baking.

Bake at 400ºF (205ºC) for approximately 20-25 minutes, or until golden.

Add filling after baking.

--------------------------------------------

Enjoy. :)

NOTE: this was adapted from my grandmother's recipe.

She used 1-cup shortening and 1/4 cup ice water.

Although her crust is delicious and super flaky, I find it a bit heavy with all that shortening.

You can adjust to qtys of water and shortening as desired within these parameters as you like.

Edited by ChefHeat

Here ya go, my friend.

PIE CRUST

1/2 tsp. salt

2/3 Cup shortening

1/3 Cup ice water

Mix/mash flour, salt and shortening with a fork until the mixture looks crumbly, like small peas.

Add ice water and continue to mix with a fork - when it becomes too stiff for the fork, use your hands to kneed it until uniform.

If it is difficult to work all the flour in, add up to 1 Tb more water (depends on weather - probably not needed in humid Thailand)).

Flour a bread board. Pat out 1/2 of the dough on floured board, and roll out with rolling pin, turning every so often so it doesn't stick to the board. Try to achieve an even thickness of about 1/8".

You are now ready to carefully lift it into pie pan (it should be over-sized for the pan).

This is best done by gently rolling it up, lifting the roll into the pan, and then unrolling it inside the pan.

Recipe makes about 3 crusts -- enough for a 2-crust pie (top and bottom) plus a 1-crust pie (if you roll it thin. I usually have not quite enough for a 3rd pie shell). I usually get two perfect 9" deep-dish pie crusts, plus a little leftover that I can roll out thin, butter the top, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, and bake a nice and quick little pastry treat (the kids love it).

When making a one-crust pie, be sure to put fork holes in the bottom and sides of the crust before baking.

Although her crust is delicious and super flaky, I find it a bit heavy with all that shortening.

You can adjust to qtys of water and shortening as desired within these parameters as you like.

Thanks ChefHeat, sounds good to me , just one question as I am no chef only hobby for me...whats shortening??

I sure will try your recipe as I love flaky pastry also can make sausage rolls I would think using same recipe.

Thanks for your help and you have nice day.

Cheers. :D

Thanks ChefHeat, sounds good to me , just one question as I am no chef only hobby for me...whats shortening??

I sure will try your recipe as I love flaky pastry also can make sausage rolls I would think using same recipe.

You're welcome, bikerman.

I hope it works out for you.

FYI - the above is not puff pastry. Just pie crust. I would think it might work for a sausage roll; not sure it would be ideal, however.

I like a sausage roll now and then as well, but I use a buttermilk biscuit recipe to wrap around the sausage. Yum.

To digress a bit --- I bought some live buttermilk here in Thailand... can't remember where (was a long time ago), but I think it might have been Golden Square or some healthfood shop in Bangkok. I've kept the same culture alive for over 5-years now. Just need to replenish what I use with whole pasteurized milk - keep filling it back up, and the culture continues to grow. It doesn't spoil since the live culture just takes over the entire bottle, so other bacteria can't grow. I always have fresh buttermilk on-hand for pancakes, biscuits, muffins, cakes, salad dressing, etc. Lovely stuff.

OK, back to topic....

Shortening:

I would describe it simply as "fake lard". :)

Most common brand name I can think of is Crisco (available in Thailand) - basically its hydrogenated vegetable oil. I believe "back in the day" folks just used beef lard (rendered fat). In my opinion, real lard is probably "least bad" for you and tastes better. If you have it (real lard), I'd say use it. Should be a clean lard, though, nothing with flavorings, marinade, burn smell, etc.

Good luck.

Kuhn ChefHeat is spot on with his classic 3:1 ratio flour to shortening/butter/lard. My only suggestion would be, after making the pie crust but before rolling it out, to put it in the freezer for 1 -2 hours... especially in tropical weather.

Kuhn ChefHeat is spot on with his classic 3:1 ratio flour to shortening/butter/lard. My only suggestion would be, after making the pie crust but before rolling it out, to put it in the freezer for 1 -2 hours... especially in tropical weather.

A worthy suggestion ... and also the reason for using ice water. If you are working in an air-conditioned environment, and work quickly, it may not be necessary to refrigerate. However, you might want to refrigerate as jazzbo says, if this a new thing for you and expect to work at a leisurely pace.

I also neglected to mention I keep my flour in the fridge - mainly to keep the bugs out, but it helps in this area as well.

Edited by ChefHeat

Another very good reason for posting and asking questions on TV is that other people like me will pick on the post and learn from it. Also some posters would add variations and more useful information than is available on Google.

As a previous poster said it is easier to read through 20 posts than 36,700,000 most of which are not what you need anyway.

Here ya go, my friend.

PIE CRUST

1/2 tsp. salt

2/3 Cup shortening

1/3 Cup ice water

Hi All,

Thanks to you all for input, now have idea of what’s required to go ahead and make my pies.

Filling of pies no problem as X wife at least taught me that, as you said about shortening I understand now as this is the way my Mother use to make with beef dripping or lard back in the olden days before all frozen pastries became available.

Once again thanks to you all and shalll update once I have tried. Hope this post may have been useful to other sensible members….saves going on Google :D

Here ya go, my friend.

PIE CRUST

1/2 tsp. salt

2/3 Cup shortening

1/3 Cup ice water

Hi All,

Thanks to you all for input, now have idea of what's required to go ahead and make my pies.

Filling of pies no problem as X wife at least taught me that, as you said about shortening I understand now as this is the way my Mother use to make with beef dripping or lard back in the olden days before all frozen pastries became available.

Once again thanks to you all and shalll update once I have tried. Hope this post may have been useful to other sensible members….saves going on Google :D

I'm sure all of us sensible members will be very interested to hear of your results. Good Luck! :D

One more point: with bread, the more you play with the dough the better it gets. With piecrust, the less handling the better. Handling it too much makes tough piecrust. Roll it out just once, and work with it even if it's all lopsided.

One more point: with bread, the more you play with the dough the better it gets. With piecrust, the less handling the better. Handling it too much makes tough piecrust. Roll it out just once, and work with it even if it's all lopsided.

Thanks Cathy,

Point taken and shall try, for sure will post photo once made...I hope all tips from TV work out to make pastry which I am grateful for :)

Thanks Cathy,

Point taken and shall try, for sure will post photo once made...I hope all tips from TV work out to make pastry which I am grateful for :)

All the best with it. Good luck.

if you are ever in Phuket pop into a lovely little pie shop/restuarant in Chertalay. the lady who runs it is very knowledge and very nice to chat too. And her pies are delicious.

The shop is on the right as you approach Chertalay from the 2 heroines circle.

Look for the sign, the shop (and I kid you not) is called

LADY PIE :)

post-66301-1250207299_thumb.jpgpost-66301-1250207299_thumb.jpg

Here ya go, my friend.

PIE CRUST

1/2 tsp. salt

2/3 Cup shortening

1/3 Cup ice water

Hi All,

Pies turned out great (corn beef and potatoes) for first attempt. Chefheat recipe and few tips from other TV members helped a great deal.

Sorry no photos yet as having problems uploading for some reason, shall post later.

Thanks again for all your help and advise.

:D

post-66301-1250207470_thumb.jpg

That looks scrumptious.

Glad you had success with crust.

On a side note - you may have had trouble uploading due to the large file size 5Mb. You must have a very nice camera.... however, you might want to reduce the size of the photo for uploading to forums to about 1200x900 or even 800x600px. It'll be much quicker to upload as well as to download, and be plenty large enough for us to see clearly.

Edited by ChefHeat

ChefHeat... I'm stealing your pie crust recipe for my pasties!

On a side note.. Have you seen rutabaga for sale in Thailand or know the Thai word for them? I make Cornish pasties that were perfected by Finnish Miners in Upper Michigan and the recipe calls for them.

On a side note.. Have you seen rutabaga for sale in Thailand or know the Thai word for them? I make Cornish pasties that were perfected by Finnish Miners in Upper Michigan and the recipe calls for them.

Feel free to use the crust recipe -- it's pretty standard.

Don't forget to add the tips from the other posters here that I omitted.

I sometimes take certain things for granted.

I also forgot to mention that for two-crust pies, you can either fill them raw and seal with the top then bake, or bake the bottom first and add the top (which has been baked on a pastry tray) after baking the filling in the pre-cooked bottom. Depends on the pie and how you want to present it.

Rutabagas - gosh, no idea.

Sorry. :)

Are you willing to post your recipe? A good pastie recipe is hard to find, and the recipe from the copper country is the one I want. One that's nice and moist and doesn't need any gravy.

I make shortcrust pastry most weeks.. Recipe I use is simple enough and the technique is easy to master.

4 oz Butter or soft margerine

8oz plain flour ( cake or soft wheat flour is better than hard bread flour)

1-2 tablespoons of cold water

pinch of salt

Sift the flour with the pinch of salt into a large bowl

add the butter/marg ( butter is best if cut into small cubes and slightly soft )

'rub' the fat gently into the flour until the mix resembles breadcrumbs. Don't over mix it.

add the water and bring the mix together with a flat pastry knife or spatula... Use your hands to combine it into a soft ball.. the mix should be moist enough to gather all the mixture together so the bowl is clean.. It shouldn't be wet and sticky but should hold it's shape and not crack and split.. The ammount of water is only a rough guide as different flour will absord different ammounts of water..

Wrap the mix up in clingfilm or a plastic bag.. Place in the fridge to rest for half an hour or more.. Or you can freeze the pasty at this stage for use another day..

Once it has 'rested' roll the pasty out on a well floured board using a rolling pin or similar..

Shape into a pie dish or make free form pies/pasties.. and bake according to your recipe..

This works well and the mix can be doubled -tripled etc to make larger ammounts easily

Edited by Pdaz

Are you willing to post your recipe? A good pastie recipe is hard to find, and the recipe from the copper country is the one I want. One that's nice and moist and doesn't need any gravy.

You got it! And this is indeed from the Copper Country, but you have to tell me how you know about that. Here goes... You can substitute the crust recipe of your choice...

Recipe to make Cornish Pasties perfected by Upper Michigan Finns. (Makes 6.)

INGREDIENTS:

2 boxes Pillsbury Pie Crust Mix. (Not sticks.)

-OR make your own pie crust.

3 Medium Potatoes

-chop into ¼ inch cubes.

4 medium Carrots.

1 medium Rutabaga.

-chop carrots & rutabaga into ¼ cubes.

-combine in a pot of water and bring to boil.

-remove from heat, and let soak after reaching boil.

1 hardball sized onion.

-dice finely.

I lb lean hamburger.

-brown well in frying pan.

-chop finely.

-add 5 sprinkles of Lowry’s Seasoning salt.

(By cooking the hamburger first, you end up with non-greasy pasties.)

Misc. butter, flour.

PREPARATION:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Make 6 crust units from pie crust mixes.

-mix per directions.

-make six balls

-roll into dinner plate size flats on cloth rolling surface

sprinkled with flour. Make them tough, about 1/8 inch

thick or more.

Arrange all the ingredients conveniently.

Spray cookie sheet with PAM or other non-stick grease.

PASTY ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS:

In a large bowl, mix together the potatoes, carrots, rutabaga, onions, and meat mixture. Mix it up well so there are no clumps

Add 1/6 of the above to each crust unit in a long even pile

On top of this pile, add two small pads of butter.

Fold crust over, seal edges, and wet fingers to seal well.

Poke 3 vent holes in the top of the Pasty crust.

COOKING:

Cook for 45 units, or till golden brown.

Leave on tray after removing from oven, and cover with a towel.

EATING AND STORAGE:

Eat with lots of catsup or gravy! YUMMM!

Pasties keep a long time frozen. Wrap tightly in aluminum foil and freeze after they have cooled.

To reheat, lift edge of foil to add 1 teaspoon of water. Reseal foil tightly, and put in oven at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Some think rewarmed pasties are better than first cooked!