I started a UK pension with Prudential through my ex-employer a couple of years before I left the UK but am now living in Thailand and plan to stay here long term. There's not that much in there at the moment, 3,500-4000GBP I think, but I was wondering if pensions can be transferred, especially as Prudential also operate in Thailand. I've checked their Thai website but the English option isn't working and trying to contact Prudential in the UK is about as easy as pulling chickens teeth! Does anyone know if this would be possible?

Thanks in advance

I started a UK pension with Prudential through my ex-employer a couple of years before I left the UK but am now living in Thailand and plan to stay here long term. There's not that much in there at the moment, 3,500-4000GBP I think, but I was wondering if pensions can be transferred, especially as Prudential also operate in Thailand. I've checked their Thai website but the English option isn't working and trying to contact Prudential in the UK is about as easy as pulling chickens teeth! Does anyone know if this would be possible?

Thanks in advance

Is the Prudential in Thailand the UK company to which you refer or the US company?

If you keep a UK bank account the UK Pru will pay your pension into it if you give them the details. I don't know whether they would pay into a non-UK account. Will you keep a UK address for correspondence?

Companies such as these are unlikely to correspond about personal matters by email except through a secure arrangement and they may not have that. A letter on paper should get a response but they will still need proof that you are who you say you are. Alternatively, you may be able to get a UK IFA to do it for you but he too will have to check your identity.

Thanks in advance

Is the Prudential in Thailand the UK company to which you refer or the US company?

If you keep a UK bank account the UK Pru will pay your pension into it if you give them the details. I don't know whether they would pay into a non-UK account. Will you keep a UK address for correspondence?

Companies such as these are unlikely to correspond about personal matters by email except through a secure arrangement and they may not have that. A letter on paper should get a response but they will still need proof that you are who you say you are. Alternatively, you may be able to get a UK IFA to do it for you but he too will have to check your identity.

I do have a UK bank account but I seem to remember reading somewhere that they wouldn't pay any of it out until I'm at retirement age and I'm only 33! I would rather transfer it over to Prudential Thailand and contribute more to it over here rather than leave it sitting in Prudential in the UK for 30 years or so.

Thanks in advance

No you can not transfer it and depending on which type of pension will determine at what age you could vest the pension. Regulations changed this year so minimum age is 55. If you are no longer a U.K. Resident you should not make any further contributions to the pension..., the pension when vested can be paid into some foreign bank accounts.

No you can not transfer it and depending on which type of pension will determine at what age you could vest the pension. Regulations changed this year so minimum age is 55. If you are no longer a U.K. Resident you should not make any further contributions to the pension..., the pension when vested can be paid into some foreign bank accounts.

Well this afternoon, at about the 10th time of trying, I eventually got through to someone in the correct department who said I can transfer it over here once I have opened up a pru pension here or one with a company they have an agreement with. But the 3500GBP I thought I had is now only 2500GBP due to the stock markets dropping so much since Nov 2007 when I left the UK. Oh well, mai pen rai!

Guess this thread can be closed when a mod checks this.

Thanks.

I am very suprised at that. I worked at the Pru and specifically with pensions.....did you speak to an administrator in the U.K. or ws it one of the idiots at the call center in India...if it ws India I would double check.

I am very suprised at that. I worked at the Pru and specifically with pensions.....did you speak to an administrator in the U.K. or ws it one of the idiots at the call center in India...if it ws India I would double check.

I spoke to a guy called Scott who had a Scottish accent and he said he would send me an 'overseas transfer request' form and that I should just fill that in once I have started a Pension with a company over here.