Laos To Ban Smoking In Public Places

george

Laos to ban smoking in public places

BANGKOK: -- Laos would soon make lighting up more difficult with a ban on smoking in restaurants and inside public buildings, Radio Laos said Thursday.

No date was set for implementing the ban in nearly all public places, but it would be soon, the state-run radio station said in a broadcast monitored in Bangkok.

Smoking is common among Laos' 6 million-plus people with both locally made cigarettes and imports available.

In another effort to get people to kick the smoking habit, the Ministry of Public Health started discussing increasing the tax on cigarettes in late 2008. That move was complicated because smuggling is common across Laos' borders with both Vietnam and Thailand.

-- dpa 2009-08-07

I thought there'd been a time slip when I read the date on this thread!

This has been talked about here for the past year at least! Many restaurants and bars have already put up the no smoking signs.

Also I wouldn't say that smoking is exactly common - but the one thing is that the majority of the Lao smokers are actually considerate and will go and smoke outside it's only in falang or Chinese inhabited restaurants or bars where you'll get smoke blown in your face whilst you're eating!

Edited by technocracy