Windows Firewall & Sygate Firewall

stats

recently i just upgrade my windows to the XP pro SP2....Well this patch has a Windows firewall builder in....Before upgrading the Xp sp2 i recently uses the Sygte Firewallw hich could be download for personal use....

My question are can i uses both the windows xp build in firewall and sygate firewall

would it be any conflict if this 2 programmes are running ??

at the mean time i am only using the xp build in firewall ...

which 1 is better ??? xp build in firewall or sygate firewall ??

if i am to use the sygate fire wall do i need to off the windows build in fire wall ??

thank you all

tytus

which 1 is better ??? xp build in firewall or sygate firewall ??

if i am to use the sygate fire wall do i need to off the windows build in fire wall ??

thank you all

tytus

The Xp firewall is effective but only stops incoming attempts. Any program already on the hard disk can access the internet. Some believe this so that you can't stop Microsoft's own spyware from calling home. If you want to stay with the Xp firewall first use spyware removal software to make sure you don't already have some spyware on your hard disk.

Running two firewalls? Some say yes, some say no. Me, I'm not sure!

I'm not sure of the enhancements to firewall in SP2, as Firefoxx mentioned. But there is no question that the Sygate is much better than the the original Windows XP firefall.

And one firewall is enough, there is no need to use both. It just add confusion and take away additional resorces from the system.

P.S. I use Sygate Personal Firewall Pro 5.5 and quite happy with it.

Edited by Condo_bk

Agreed. You need something that can watch what's trying to connect to the internet from your computer. In these days with dailer, and highjacks you need that kind of protection and you won't get it from MS. It took them 5 years to decide that spyware was a problem, do you really want to trust them with your security?

cv

The WinXP built-in firewall is basically a "stripped-down" version of ZoneAlarm. While its better than nothing, I would suggest either the free version of ZA or their Pro version, if you are willing to purchase software. Most "stand-alone" firewalls would be better than the "built-in" XP version, simply from the standpoint you can install, uninstall and fully update a stand-alone firewall, which would not be possible with an XP integrated utility.

Actually, if you can afford same, a better solution might be to utilize one of the firewall/router combos (hardware) or a combination of both a firewall/router and software firewall. (Would strongly recommend the latter if your on broadband.)

cheers

:o