Thai Teachers License Has Left Me Feeling Disappointed

garro

My five year teacher's license arrived last week. I spent about seven years trying to get this baby, but now that it has come it has left me feeling a bit disappointed. All the work that went into getting it; TEFL, PGCE, and even the bloody culture course. It hardly seems worth it though. I have come to realise recently that if I work my <deleted> off then I will be a good teacher; I don't think that I will ever be a great teacher because I just don't have the passion for it. To be honest with you, I would hate to think that I will be still working in the profession when it is time for my license to be renewed.

My five year teacher's license arrived last week. I spent about seven years trying to get this baby, but now that it has come it has left me feeling a bit disappointed. All the work that went into getting it; TEFL, PGCE, and even the bloody culture course. It hardly seems worth it though. I have come to realise recently that if I work my <deleted> off then I will be a good teacher; I don't think that I will ever be a great teacher because I just don't have the passion for it. To be honest with you, I would hate to think that I will be still working in the profession when it is time for my license to be renewed.

It's purely a money-making scheme! Nothing more, nothing less.

Still, you've got the Licence. That's an achievement - the reward for your hard work. Don't knock it: there's always some sense of anti-climax when what we've been striving for has finally been attained. I think the sage Gautama said something about that.

Well done, Garro. It might seem just a bit of paper, a job ticket for a worksite you may not wish to stay in, but it is an acknowledgement that you have a right to be there, and a right you had to earn.

Well done, be proud at yourself and you deserve it. There are many people out there who shouldn't be teaching because they are not qualified, make a mess of teaching and give the real teachers a bad name.

Yes, Garro should definitely be proud of himself. From reading his posts it's obvious that he is serious about teaching and cares about his students. But being qualified does not always guarantee this, there are many qualified people out there who are teaching just because they are qualified, not because they can teach!

well done

Most teachers, and everyone I know get pissed off with teaching after 10 years or less. You'll find a way to make better money if you use your head.

When I was an English teacher I worked in a Uni the last few years so didn't need a license.

Yes, Garro should definitely be proud of himself. From reading his posts it's obvious that he is serious about teaching and cares about his students. But being qualified does not always guarantee this, there are many qualified people out there who are teaching just because they are qualified, not because they can teach!

I fully agree with you, there are many qualified teachers out there who miss the motivation to do a good job.

(Hey Im not native English and not a teacher)

Edited by Frenske

I fully agree with you, there are many qualyfied teachers out there who miss the motivation to do a good job

:)

I fully agree with you, there are many qualyfied teachers out there who miss the motivation to do a good job

:)

And many CYNICS too!

Good god! 7 years!! I thought California was bad, taking stupid courses for 2 years. Very true- a licence does not a teacher make. However, ya gotta have one to get there. I love teaching, but the situation in my sunny state has gotten beyond ridiculous (starting with the Govenator). I am seeking employment in an international school in Thailand, and relying on my California documents to get me there. Am I dreaming? Or is it a possibility?

I haven't had time to review all the information floating around, but please don't be overly concerned. If you have a Teacher's License or a B.ed, you are probably reasonably safe. The situation on the ground in Thailand is usually very different than it is on paper.

If the gov't and all the agencies involved were to implement the different regulations there will be precious few teachers in Thailand. We currently have a staff of close to 100 teachers, of which I am guessing 3 would meet the qualifications (and of those, I only know of 1 whose taken the 20 hour Cultural Training Course).

I suggest you apply for work and let the schools advise you on your qualifications.

I was shown a letter today sent from the Chiang Mai education office on the 10th August that states the Teacher Licence will no longer be a requirement for foreign teachers here in Chiang Mai at least. Teachers receive a temporary waiver (I guess for wp and visa concerns) if they don't have the TL for two years. At the end of two years the school can write a cover letter stating the teachers other qualifications and experience compensate for lack of a TL and they receive an extension of the waiver.

The object of the directive is a compromise between the TCT and schools.

It's in Thai and was translated verbally by a Thai in to English for me.

Our scanner isn't working, but I'll try and get a copy up later.

Edited by Loaded