Weber Smoker

cmjantje

One time I saw one at Rimping, a Weber smoker, never saw it again.. Anyone who knows? Or maybe you have one you don't use, I will be glad to buy it from you.

I have seen them there, also. And there are some BBQ sites on the web that are in BKK. They would probably sell you one and ship it.

I would think, though, that you could get one made for 1/4 of the cost since imported BBQs seem to all have those wonderful import duties added on the price.

you want to smoke fish, wow now i've heard it all, i thought i'd heard it all about fetishm, but never with fish, congratulations you are a first. :D ....any photos.

its quite common smoking fish :D

or was it fish smoking? :)

post-15912-1249883065_thumb.jpg

you want to smoke fish, wow now i've heard it all, i thought i'd heard it all about fetishm, but never with fish, congratulations you are a first. :D ....any photos.

its quite common smoking fish :D

or was it fish smoking? :)

closely related to drinking like one :D

post-15912-1249883141_thumb.jpg

Thank you Doppa and Donnyboy for your very humorous answers, I really enjoyed them. But I think you never had a home smoked eel, mackerel or salmon, which in my opinion is a lack of life experience. I really hoped that at least One thread with a serious question would be without the "jokes". But I think it is impossible, at least on this CM forum.

All of the others Thank you for your replies! I googeld for the sites in Bangkok but found only one who did not have the smoker, and in which Rimping did you see the collection? Mee Chok has almost nothing.

Some of the best smoked fish I had was in Finland. The method was something like this:

A metal box with a slightly raised mesh inside.

Place underneath mesh (on the bottom of the box) pine needles/small pine twigs (maybe not so easy to find in Thailand) with a generous sprinkling of sugar on top.

Place salmon fillet onto the mesh with a generous rubbing of rock salt.

Place box over open fire until the fish is cooked through.

The metal box need not be so big, just large enough to hold the fish with a couple of inches clearance between the mesh and the bottom and maybe six inches above.

Some kind of pivotal or sliding lid may also be useful to allow access :)

They have them in Pattaya if you ever get down that way....Tru Value Hardware has webers but also have a dpme type smoker whuich I used in the USA before, they do an excellent job. I think it was about 5500 Baht.

smoking with pine sounds like a recipe for disaster. I don't doubt that is what they did, but if it is really smoked then you shouldn't use any wood that has resin. The creosote will cause a bitter nasty flavor and it is quite harmful.

Stuffing a fish with pine needles or other herbs and spices would be fine, but to truly smoke something it is best to stay with hard woods and fruit woods. No cedar, pine, cyprus, mango is bad also.

Lamyai wood seems to make a good replacement for oak, etc in the smoking department. A couple of the BBQ rib joints have mentioned using it. Each year the crafts made by inmates at Thai prisons are sold here in CM on the canal road, they always seem to have a selection of smokers/bbq devices.