Piggy's Fish And Chip Shop

Krupnik

kevin hunt.

quote .... Canned or instant mash ....... or real mash would be a better offer to customers than ..... no have !

you offer a choice , the un irish offer a choice , mad dog , the half moon , the old bell and many others offer you a choice ...... why not piggys ?

the best french fries in chiang mai ( NOT chips ) are served at the mayflower next door to STH bar in loi kroh road .

if you fancy a nice snack with a beer at night go there .... try them ..... enjoy ... dave2

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

kevin hunt.

quote .... Canned or instant mash ....... or real mash would be a better offer to customers than ..... no have !

you offer a choice , the un irish offer a choice , mad dog , the half moon , the old bell and many others offer you a choice ...... why not piggys ?

the best french fries in chiang mai ( NOT chips ) are served at the mayflower next door to STH bar in loi kroh road .

if you fancy a nice snack with a beer at night go there .... try them ..... enjoy ... dave2

I've been to Mayflower quite a few times. Good food and a great place to watch the Human Zoo known as Loi kroh Bars. Belgian Fries with Mayo are good but invariably most places sell mass-produced frozen fries. I prefer chunky home-made English chips.  Espescially with a nice bit of beer-battered fish.

I don't know why but an image of someone whacking a fish with a bottle of Heinee just flashed into my mind. Time for sleep, methinks.This'll be an early night for me. Could I actually surface before noon tomorrow? Will it still be dark, I wonder?

Nighty night.

Edited by KevinHunt

Well I just hope that he's getting the message because Chiang Mai needs a good fish and chip shop.

Suda might have called her shop "fish and chips" but her chips were shyt and like the Dutchman "wooden shoes and wouldn't listen"

And her tartare sauce was like cats p1ss. Wouldn't even list to 'Kiwi'

And that's one thing about that guy who charges mega baht for the water at least he don't <deleted> around (or didn't at Haus Munchen) he had Heinz tartare and none of this home made shyt.

Tennis anyone :)

Chiang Mai already has a good fish and chip shop, it`s called Cheerful Charlie`s fish and chips and has been running for several years.

Plenty of space, great fish & chips, mash, peas, pies, beer, wine, coffee and more.

Maybe a liitle more expensive than Piggy`s or about the same price, but Charlie serves good portions and certainly not over priced.

I decided to visit Piggy`s last week for a change of venue, but it looked like someones lock up garage, it was grim and dark, so I walked away.

Well I just hope that he's getting the message because Chiang Mai needs a good fish and chip shop.

Suda might have called her shop "fish and chips" but her chips were shyt and like the Dutchman "wooden shoes and wouldn't listen"

And that's one thing about that guy who charges mega baht for the water at least he don't <deleted> around (or didn't at Haus Munchen) he had Heinz tartare and none of this home made shyt.

Chiang Mai already has a good fish and chip shop, it`s called Cheerful Charlie`s fish and chips and has been running for several years.

Plenty of space, great fish & chips, mash, peas, pies, beer, wine, coffee and more.

Maybe a liitle more expensive than Piggy`s or about the same price, but Charlie serves good portions and certainly not over priced.

I decided to visit Piggy`s last week for a change of venue, but it looked like someones lock up garage, it was grim and dark, so I walked away.

So you can't really comment about the food then can you? Or compare portion sizes

Charlies has plenty of space?? In the shade, in the sun, what when it is raining??

kevin hunt.

re ... the mayflower and Belgian Fries ?

ive no idea about that but they are cooked to perfection with a little salt and go great with a beer while people watching !

caf ..... re charlies ... you could park five cars in his yard , you can sit in the sun or under shade , if it rains you can wait it out and have another tea no problem!

enjoy .... dave2

Tennis anyone :D

Singles at 4.30 Monday, Gymkhana (weather permitting). If you've got a racquet your okay, cos I've got balls. It rained last Friday but although we tried to play on it just wasn't possible. At least we confirmed what we always suspected - you can't play with soggy balls. Fact.

As regards to Fish n Chips those in the know, know where the best are. The only problem is - they have a strict no Riff Raff policy, which excludes almost everyone here.

Well I must come by and check the veracity of your claim.

What's your dress code there "no sneakers, shorts etc., but you haven't gone all the way to tie and jacket have you" :)

As for tennis, I'm not sure if the body is up to it at the moment, but thanks for the invite "or the closest to an invite that I have had"

As for "soggy balls" I imagine it is not easy to play with soggy balls.

kevin hunt.

Must have a look see. Was down that way a couple of weeks ago and saw what I imagined to be the best "seafood" in town 'fresh as' and it was still walking around leaving very little to the "imagination"

I am sure that some of the bars in that area are employing under age demimodaines. Still if you like your seafood fresh :)

And talking about STH I saw the best dust up ever there one night a few years back. Half the girls were tearing the shyt out of the other half (of the girls) and Larry was just sitting there.

I told him that I was worried about collateral damage, and he just sat there not giving a tuppeny shyt.

I thought that he was a prize FW

Edited by john b good

What's your dress code there "no sneakers, shorts etc., but you haven't gone all the way to tie and jacket have you" :)
I'm sure it used to be 'All whites' and then maybe 'Predominatly white', but these days so long as you are wearing shorts and a sports shirt you are okay. And proper sports shoes, but that goes without saying. I still play in predominantly white except when my missus puts a red towel in with my tennis attire when they are being washed , in which case I have been seen temporarily in tennis 'pinks', but only until I could replace them. I wouldn't like to send a 'false signal', if you catch my drift.

Occasionally a couple of Farang 'students' sneak in and some have been known to play topless (only the chaps, unfortunately). They are usually reminded about the club rules but sometimes it does make you wonder what they are teaching them at these colleges - certainly not manners dress-code or decorum, I imagine.

My Aussie mate has Tatoos and a pony tail!!  (he's an 'artist'). I think it was raised at the last committee meeting but he hasn't been black-balled yet, so the jury must be split.

Edited by KevinHunt

Tennis anyone :D

So you can't really comment about the food then can you? Or compare portion sizes

Charlies has plenty of space?? In the shade, in the sun, what when it is raining??

And, when it is open :)

Please show me where I have commented about the food or portions served at Piggy`s.

What are you on about?

I`m only quoting as a satisfied customer of Charlie`s, but you seem to be on the defence regarding Piggy`s.

Do you have shares in the place?

Edited by sassienie

We gotta get this back up the top. Piggy (what a name for a girl let alone a F & C shop) is a real honey.

That's what I thought looking at her anyway "I know looks can be deceiving at times"

But the tattoed man if he doesn't take on a little bit of advice is gonna be looking at a failed business.

The food is good (the F & C were to my liking anyway) but if the menu offers cod ya gotta have cod. No BS about we are out.

Maybe he has some glasses to drink out of now but drinking out of coffee cups is not on (apart from this Buddha day nonsense when I am happy to drink out of anything)

Much has been said, but is he listening, or is someone passing on the message ??

He has a good product, but the heat in the back of the shop is way up.

I would not like to see this business fail.

I will go back "if only to see what he charges for water"

Seriously I enjoyed my meal but he has gotta make it work.

Piggy's beauty alone is not gonna keep the customers flocking in.

I applaud the guy's attempt to have a go, every business has teething problems but listen up man "maybe every thing is now hunky dory"

Now John Dory would be nice wouldn't it.

Where are you UG, what's your thoughts :)

Got to agree with most of what you've said here.

Myself and other punters have already commented

that they had "sold out of cod". To be given beer

to drink out of a mug is unacceptable.

I hope it survives as well but when we went,

the guy who I assume is co-manager seemed

more intent on drinking with his buddies than

looking after his customers.

Regards

Will

kevin hunt.

re ... the mayflower and Belgian Fries ?

ive no idea about that but they are cooked to perfection with a little salt and go great with a beer while people watching !

caf ..... re charlies ... you could park five cars in his yard , you can sit in the sun or under shade , if it rains you can wait it out and have another tea no problem!

enjoy .... dave2

Maybe he's moved then. There was no 5 car parking space there when I last saw it.

Anyway, the thread is about Piggy's and my point was that you are rubbishing something when you haven't eaten there.

I've never eaten in the Chedi so I would not comment on their food

Please show me where I have commented about the food or portions served at Piggy`s.

What are you on about?

I`m only quoting as a satisfied customer of Charlie`s, but you seem to be on the defence regarding Piggy`s.

Do you have shares in the place?

My post is not a defence of Piggy's. Read more carefully. You are knocking a new business without having eaten there.

I could of course sarcastically ask if you have shares in Charlies but I prefer to keep on topic. The thread is about people's views on Piggy's.

I have been to Piggy`s and quoted, that it looked like a lock up garage, grim and dark. It put me off going inside to sample the food, so I walked away.

One thing I did notice was that there are some stunning birds working at the massage parlour opposite.

Been a customer of Charlie’s for nearly 2 years. Charlie is a great guy; I like the set up and food there. That’s my opinion; I am not taking a pop at anyone.

As for owning shares in any company, I live in Chiang Mai on a pension. I let others take on the stress, do all the work and suffer whiners like me.

Problem with owning a company is, you have to be nice to people, so I’m not interested. The very mention of the word, work, makes me come over faint.

Edited by sassienie

One thing I did notice was that there are some stunning birds working at the massage parlour opposite.

True, but too pretty for a decent massage and no hanky-panky allowed. Traditional massage in the worst sense! :)

How about a meal over at Piggy`s, then some dessert in the massage parlour?

In response to some of the comments:

Piggy is not her name, it's her nickname that her husband calls her. Why is it a silly name for a chippy? Pig-out at Piggy's!

And yes the owner does check here so I'm sure he will taken on board comments.

Maybe when they used the coffee cups they'd run out of glasses - sure they'll get more in.

The comment regarding him drinking with his friends rather than caring for the customers - how do you know THEY weren't regular customers too?

It is a bit small on the inside but you can't always find the perfect spot that's going to suit everyone - why didn't you try a take away?

Being vegan I've sampled their chips many times and I've found them to be cooked to just the right texture and a generous portion. I don't know about the cod but they are probably still trying to judge how much to get in by the flow of the orders and I would imagine are still finding their feet.

In response to some of the comments:

Piggy is not her name, it's her nickname that her husband calls her. Why is it a silly name for a chippy? Pig-out at Piggy's!

And yes the owner does check here so I'm sure he will taken on board comments.

Maybe when they used the coffee cups they'd run out of glasses - sure they'll get more in.

The comment regarding him drinking with his friends rather than caring for the customers - how do you know THEY weren't regular customers too?

It is a bit small on the inside but you can't always find the perfect spot that's going to suit everyone - why didn't you try a take away?

Being vegan I've sampled their chips many times and I've found them to be cooked to just the right texture and a generous portion. I don't know about the cod but they are probably still trying to judge how much to get in by the flow of the orders and I would imagine are still finding their feet.

Hi, You obviously know them and are trying to explain/defend

and that's ok. Most of your points are valid but not all. Most of

the comments here have been good and constructive, but please

don't try and defend the indefensible. "run out of glasses" the shop

is the size of a shoebox, how many glasses do they need? And how cheap

are glasses? Glasses, plates and cultlery should be easy to arrange.

Secondly, the other customers may have been regulars but that

doesn't excuse him from ignoring other customers when they

need some service. I didn't want to "bag" the service as both

girls where working hard in the kitchen, but we had to wait ages

for another drink and to re-order etc when the guy was just sitting

at a table drinking. Not good form.

You said "maybe they'd run out of glasses" Well maybe if that's the case,

he should be washing them. One would assume that he is to oversee the place

while the girls are flat out in the kitchen (assuming he is co-manager).

Like I said, I think the place is ok but can do with some improving.

But I just think a bit of balance needed to be put into your post.

Regards

Will

i tried there last week and the fish wasnt cod but it was nicely done but the chips ( i like mine soft ) were way underdone.

the thiner small ones were ok but every one over about an eighth of an inck thick wasnt cooked at all

i had a friend who ran a chip shop once who said if you cant squash a chip with a fork its not cooked enough.

most of the chips i had i couldnt squash with the knife they were that hard

ill try there again coz the fish was nice and if i get lousy chips again he has other things on the menu that i d like to try

his cheese on toast for one

dave2

ps ... i also asked if they did mashed potato .. no have .... which seems a bit daft not to have the option to me coz i like mashed

It's a fish and chip shop for christ sake not a fish and mash potato shop :) they don't serve mash in a chippy in the UK so why here.

Edited by alfieconn

I have tried several restaurants in Chiang Mai over the years that serve fish and chips, but for me it has to be Cheerful Charlie`s.

Poor ole Charlie hasn`t been in the best of health lately and had to close for a while.

He will be opening again next Monday (17th).

I will be there in the evening and looking forward to a fish and chip meal, plenty of booze to wash it down with and a good ole laugh again.

It's seems to me that Charlies is more like a social club for the older fraternity, have a drink, have a chat and the food is secondary.

You don't go to a chippy in the Uk for a chat so why here.

I for one don't want to go to a F&C shop and hear a load of old codgers rambling on about nothing :)

For the record Piggy F&C are 60 baht cheaper than charlies for Thai fish and a bigger piece of fish at Piggy's.

ok let's take it from the top!! I went there last week and here are my observations....

Yes it is small, and hot on the inside, but so is Woody's. It is not meant to be haute cuisine, it's a fish and chip shop. There is nothing wrong with the name seeing that the lady that runs it is named Moo which is Thai for pig.

yes a black mark for having mugs instead of glasses, but I'm sure that has been rectified by now. The Heineken at 65 baht, was ice cold and very drinkable, even from a bottle.

The cod was also off the menu when I went, but the regular fish was excellent, and the chips were just fine, and as I like them. I found nothing lacking in the service, and just raised my bottle and another appeared straight away.

I have eaten fish and chips all over town, even in the "no riff raff" joint and these would have to be one of the best, if not the best, and at 120 baht you cannot go past it for value.

All in all, it's a small fish and chip shop, that does not pretend to be a restaurant, but does serve very tasty food. I will be back, and sit outside and have a few cold ones with my fish and chips :)

I have tried several restaurants in Chiang Mai over the years that serve fish and chips, but for me it has to be Cheerful Charlie`s.

Poor ole Charlie hasn`t been in the best of health lately and had to close for a while.

He will be opening again next Monday (17th).

I will be there in the evening and looking forward to a fish and chip meal, plenty of booze to wash it down with and a good ole laugh again.

It's seems to me that Charlies is more like a social club for the older fraternity, have a drink, have a chat and the food is secondary.

I for one don't want to go to a F&C shop and hear a load of old codgers rambling on about nothing :)

For the record Piggy F&C are 60 baht cheaper than charlies for Thai fish and a bigger piece of fish at Piggy's.

Mate, have you even been to CC?

If you haven't, you can't compare

the quality and size of the portions,

let alone what goes on there.

You mentioned in a previous post

Piggy's was more like a chippy in UK.

If you have that's ok, fair call.

And you need to pull your head out of your

clacker and look around. You're not in the

UK now so it's no point saying "you don't go

to a chippy in the UK for a chat so why here".

You are in Thailand!

Regards

Will

I for one don't want to go to a F&C shop and hear a load of old codgers rambling on about nothing :D

First of all my name is not mate !!

I've been to charlies many times, how else would i know the size of his portions, telepathy ?

You are in Thailand!

Regards

Will

A fish and chip shop is a fish and chip shop weather it's in the UK,Thailand or Timbucktwo if you want to go to one to socialize thats up to you but i only go to eat fish and chips and like i said before, i don't want to hear a load of oap's waffling on about the weather and such like :)

Edited by alfieconn

I for one don't want to go to a F&C shop and hear a load of old codgers rambling on about nothing :D

First of all my name is not mate !!

I've been to charlies many times, how else would i know the size of his portions, telepathy ?

You are in Thailand!

Regards

Will

A fish and chip shop is a fish and chip shop weather it's in the UK,Thailand or Timbucktwo if you want to go to one to socialize thats up to you but i only go to eat fish and chips and like i said before, i don't want to hear a load of oap's waffling on about the weather and such like :)

Fair enough mate.

But why do you keep going back?

And, I don't agree with your

"wouldn't do it in the UK so why do it here"

opinion but up to you :D

Regards

Will

Fair enough mate.

But why do you keep going back?

And, I don't agree with your

"wouldn't do it in the UK so why do it here"

opinion but up to you :D

Regards

Will

Who said i keep going back ?

I did use to go there occassionally before Piggy's opened, but generally use to come away with an earache and not too full.

Hiya, I hope this doesn't get deleted. It's not about my business, but of a good friend so I'm trying to drum up some publicity for him! Him and his wife 'Piggy' have just opened up the above business today. It's a great little place. They've got an excellent menu (I'm vegan myself, but they even cater for me, and everyone has said the fish is really good.) They do cod, plaice, battered sausage, all traditional British stuff. Very reasonable prices and a full bar! Deserts too, apple pie and custard etc.

Give it a go!!

Turn left down Chiang Moi just before Mike's Burgers and it's a few shops down on the right!

x

hello ,and thank you for putting this post up for me ,im piggy's husband and have read all your amazing comments, now i would like to say this is my wife's shop and she is a very fair girl, if you would like your chips very well done please tell her as half the people are saying they like hard chips and half not. if you require more chips just ask, at the moment the portions are a fair size but we don't mind dishing you a few more its no worry's.

she run out of cod for 1 day that was it .the rest of the time we have had it. we have glasses, if you get a mug ask for a glass or if you get a glass and want a mug please change. everyone likes to complain on here but please say if your not happy with something in the shop she won't bite your head off.

the place is a bit small sure sorry about that but we don't have the same funding as like burger king we are just trying to make a small bit of money to live on in a very difficult city.

ok sometimes you may have to wait for your food but like in any chip shop that gets busy you have to do that, she's only got so much space in her fryers.

she's got the prices very low when you think of a fish and chip meal you have to think of the beer batter with real beer and paprika etc, the fish the potato's the wages for the girls the rent the sauces real heinz real vinegar etc the gas the gasoline when you go buying. there's a lot that goes in to your meal so 120 baht is as cheap as she can get it.

the chiangmai news are doing a small write up on us so have a look in there.

if you want to have a chat in the shop and im in there just say hello and introduce yourself.

yes it gets hot inside there's some tables outside.

every shop is always not to everyones liking but we are trying to do our best ,all your comments good and bad have drummed up a bit of business for us and we thank you for that.

we have started opening after 4 pm until late, if we get more busy we will try and open more hours.

i hope everyones enjoying this amazing city of chiangmai.

have a great day

cheers from piggy and my good self. :)

x

hello ,and thank you for putting this post up for me ,im piggy's husband and have read all your amazing comments, now i would like to say this is my wife's shop and she is a very fair girl, if you would like your chips very well done please tell her as half the people are saying they like hard chips and half not. if you require more chips just ask, at the moment the portions are a fair size but we don't mind dishing you a few more its no worry's.

she run out of cod for 1 day that was it .the rest of the time we have had it. we have glasses, if you get a mug ask for a glass or if you get a glass and want a mug please change. everyone likes to complain on here but please say if your not happy with something in the shop she won't bite your head off.

the place is a bit small sure sorry about that but we don't have the same funding as like burger king we are just trying to make a small bit of money to live on in a very difficult city.

ok sometimes you may have to wait for your food but like in any chip shop that gets busy you have to do that, she's only got so much space in her fryers.

she's got the prices very low when you think of a fish and chip meal you have to think of the beer batter with real beer and paprika etc, the fish the potato's the wages for the girls the rent the sauces real heinz real vinegar etc the gas the gasoline when you go buying. there's a lot that goes in to your meal so 120 baht is as cheap as she can get it.

the chiangmai news are doing a small write up on us so have a look in there.

if you want to have a chat in the shop and im in there just say hello and introduce yourself.

yes it gets hot inside there's some tables outside.

every shop is always not to everyones liking but we are trying to do our best ,all your comments good and bad have drummed up a bit of business for us and we thank you for that.

we have started opening after 4 pm until late, if we get more busy we will try and open more hours.

i hope everyones enjoying this amazing city of chiangmai.

have a great day

cheers from piggy and my good self. :D

Well said punkrocker :):D:D