Demo Class

icequeen

I have to do a 30 minute demo class on Friday to a group of 35 seven year olds. This is the biggest group that I have taught and they are also the youngest students that I have taught.

I have to teach them to use can and can't, I am planning to show them things that I can and cannot do by pinning flashcards to the board (different areas for can and can't) for example I can ride a bike but I can't fly an aeroplane, followed by a class survey such as how many people in the class can swim, ride a bike (etc).

I have also prepared a worksheet for them to complete in pairs or small groups, asking each other 'can you...?' questions.

Does this sound ok to the experienced people out there or can anyone think of anything different/better for me to do.

I would really appreciate your comments and suggestions as I am very keen for this to go well.

Many, many thanks in advance.

If you do, it will be a loss to the students as they may not get the full benefit of what you are trying to teach.

Sometimes you have to gently persuade the Thai teachers that what they wish is not always the best idea.

Good luck.

Edited by elkangorito

You won't have time to do the class survey. If I may offer a suggestion. You could prepare cards for the students, say about 12 different abilities. Deal out the cards after you have pre-taught the vocab. Yell out "I can ride a bicycle". The kids holding that card stand and yell "I can ride a bicycle" and then the others yell "I can't ride a bicycle". You could then set the kids into 3 groups. Give each group a card and play pass the parcel to music, when the music stops, the kid holding the card stands and calls out "I can whatever" if you don't have music you could clap or sing yourself LOL. This will obviously be a little noisy but the kids will enjoy the activity. TPR always goes down well with kids. Best of luck.

Thanks fozzy58uk, I really like the pass the parcel idea I sometimes play games like this with kids at the language school I work at, but this will be my first time in a 'proper' school though and they seem a little bit stuffy. I will have thai teachers watching me, do you think they will be ok with me playing pass the parcel?

I've decided to prepare enough work for an hour and when I get there I will ask the teacher if I can have 45 minutes or an hour.

With the time you have (even if it is 45 minutes) focus on the I can/can't; you don't have time for the question. Plenty of work on the pronunciation of can/can't, as this is an area where many Thai people struggle. Model them clearly with lots of work on the schwa sound and have activities to support practice of this. Then bring in flashcard activities for full sentences.

PB: You make an excellent point. I often have to view demonstration classes and my purpose is to determine whether the person has the ability to teach and to explain a concept. I look at a number of things, including rapport with the students and the classroom setting. Sometimes, I have a Thai Admin who is there as well. They are happy to sit through an entire period. I am not.

Once I feel comfortable that the person can/can't (sorry about that) teach, I stop the demonstration and turn it over to the regular teacher.

I would not be happy with a teacher deciding they needed more time. I would wonder what other demands await me once they get the job.

Peace blondie and scott, thanks for your input. I don't really feel comfortable about telling the supervisor that I need more time so maybe I will just prepare enough material for an hours lesson and tell her that if she wants me to carry on for more than 30 minutes that it is no problem, maybe that is a better idea.

PB and Scott, how would you feel about a prospective teacher using music games in a demo lesson, I don't want to overly complicate things or waste time explaining game rules as I have such a short time.

I have now revised my plan to a brief explanation of can and can't using flashcards showing people doing various activities and opposite flashcards showing people that can't do these things (I've downloaded some pics from the internet)

followed by a short game that involves me asking questions such as can you swim? can you ride a bike? The children who can stand up and the children who can't remain seated, the children standing then say "yes, I can" and the children sitting down say "no, I can't".

Not revolutionary but simple and (hopefully) effective, maybe some of you experienced guys could also tell me what you would expect to see in a potential new teacher for your school. I went to my first interview smartly dressed and was honest about not having a batchelors degree. I have also been recommended to the school by two of the teachers working there so that should go in my favour.

30 minutes is fine with 7 year olds.

Just be realistic and don't try to teach too much - you're introducing an idea (in a fun and easy way), nothing more. Keep it simple. Too much linguistics quickly becomes tedious.

If you were in the school's position what would you want to see? Perhaps: the kids enjoy the time, they are learning, you demonstrate knowledge of the subject and ability to share the knowledge, you look relaxed and in charge, the school can trust you with the kids.

Good luck.

Since my stay here in Thailand, I have noticed many things about how Thias speak English. One of the biggest things is that Thais do not pronounce the final sound very well...particularly if the final sound is a consonant.

I teach my students British English. As a result, the word "can't" is pronounced like "carnt". It is therefore easier for me (and others) to realise exactly what they are saying.

If the word "can't" was pronounced in "the other" way, it would be pronounced like "cant" & since Thais do not pronounce the final sound clearly, it can be quite difficult to hear the final "t" sound. Sometimes, a "can't" can sound like a "can" as a result.

Since my stay here in Thailand, I have noticed many things about how Thias speak English. One of the biggest things is that Thais do not pronounce the final sound very well...particularly if the final sound is a consonant.

I teach my students British English. As a result, the word "can't" is pronounced like "carnt". It is therefore easier for me (and others) to realise exactly what they are saying.

If the word "can't" was pronounced in "the other" way, it would be pronounced like "cant" & since Thais do not pronounce the final sound clearly, it can be quite difficult to hear the final "t" sound. Sometimes, a "can't" can sound like a "can" as a result.

True. They extend the final consonant, add tone and drop the final vowel; everyone of them... But, in a single lesson it's very difficult to fix this area (because it's the heart of their language) and a teacher being watched and judged over one short class would be brave to embrace this area, in my opinion.

It would actually be far easier (and perhaps better) to teach can and can (with a little British pause in the middle) not to start with.

True. They extend the final consonant, add tone and drop the final vowel; everyone of them... But, in a single lesson it's very difficult to fix this area (because it's the heart of their language) and a teacher being watched and judged over one short class would be brave to embrace this area, in my opinion.

It would actually be far easier (and perhaps better) to teach can and can (with a little British pause in the middle) not to start with.

I fully agree :)

Sorry for the delay. I added a rather lengthy post yesterday and it has disappeared--I wonder where it went or what I did with it.

The principle to follow is KISS--Keep It Simple Stupid--not meaning your stupid--it's just a rule. Stay away from games that are complicated, stay away from music as there is always the possibility of equipment malfunction--no electrical plug, wrong plug, etc. etc.

Know your target group. In your case, do you know the students and how well they speak or able to understand you? If not, they may be reluctant to respond to a new teacher. Some things that I look at are:

1. How well is the lesson structured. Do you make sure your students have all the necessary materials out before you start, i.e., books, notebooks, pencils. If you want their full attention to the speaking, do you make sure there are no books, notebooks etc.

2. How good is your timing and preparation. Do you keep the student's attention and how. The 7 year olds have a limited attention span. (With younger ones, one of the things I sometimes do is have all the boys stand up and have them ask a question: "Can you fly?" then the girls stand up and answer "No, I can't." This keeps their attention on the lesson.

3. How is your rapport with the students. Do you pay attention to them and how well they are responding?

4. Are you able to discipline/control the class. And this means having them pay attention to you when they are supposed to be listening, are they speaking when they are supposed to be speaking.

5. Our Thai Admin is impressed if the kids are all doing things together. So avoid letting some of them write in their notebook, until instructed to do so. etc.

Games are good but only if they all are able to understand the instructions or it can be demonstrated to them and if they aren't too shy to try.

Keep things in your comfort area. If your comfortable and enthusiastic about what your doing, the students usually respond well.

Also, of all the advice you get, pick and chose what works for you and fits into your lesson.

I don't like the longer lesson because of time constraints and also because it often isn't a part of what we are teaching, so it's not a part of the curriculum. I want to make sure the teacher can demonstrate ability. Once that's done, I am comfortable.

Thank you for all your replies, it has certainly given me some food for thought! I'm just going to do some simple exercises with flashcards to warm them up and if they respond well try and get them to think of some can you questions of their own. After all 30 minutes is not a long time I expect I will spend about 5 minutes introducing myself and doing a brief introduction.

One more question I have is how do I introduce myself to the students? Do I tell them my full name and will they call me Mrs XX (my surname) or will they call me teacher as they do at the private language schools?

Thanks to everyone for your advice and also to the people who responded by PM.

Well, it's all over now and it seemed to go pretty well, I used the flashcards as a short warm up and after a few minutes moved on to a short speaking and listening excercise followed by the students coming up one by one to write things they can and can't do on the board. All of the kids joined in the activities after I encouraged the shy ones and they all seemed to enjoy it. The teachers who were observing me looked happy and the interview afterwards went well.

The teachers seemed to be impressed that I can speak Thai, and although my Thai is no where near perfect they looked on it very favourably.

All I can do now is wait, if I don't get offered the job I'm sure that there will be more opportunities and it has certainly been a very positive experience for me.

Thanks, it's the school that have suggested 30 minutes, maybe I will need to move things on quickly.

30 minutes will go very quickly, i'd imagine, especially with 35 little ones to manage.

BTW, watch your grammar on these posts when you plan to be a teacher. I believe you should have said, "Thanks. It's the school that has suggested 30 minutes. Maybe..."

Those subject-verb agreements seem tough for non-native speakers to learn, and comma splices (..suggested 30 minutes, maybe...) are even tougher. What's your native language?

Thank gawd I don't have to step into the classroom anymore.

Good luck!

Edited by Beacher