Things To Do In Kk When Your Dead.....

Boo

Sorry for the title, just reliving my 3 month stint living in the sticks of KK last year :o

I'm back in KK for 7 days soon with the hubby & after some palava with a friends wedding (which is now off) we now have an extra 3 days in KK & wanted some suggestions of where to take the MIL & neices for a couple of day trips in KK or Korat.

Any suggestions of what can keep a 65y/o woman & 5 & 12y/o girls happy for the day would be great. :D

Cheers :D

Boo

We have a car for the time we are there, so Korat Zoo is an option:)

Thanks

Go and get blessed at Wat Ban Rai,although I think that the venrable abbot is the one that needs blessing at the mo. He's very ill. I've been smacked on the head twice by him,the first in a private audience,and it seems to have worked..

What about getting a boat trip down the Mekong?

Hey Pnu, like going to Khorat zoo, the drawback is you waste half the day getting there and back. The Mekong is 180 kms from KK and unless you enjoy sitting in a car up the Mitrarphab Highway playing I-spy sugar cane trucks with the Granny and kids, I could think of better ways to while away an hour or 5.

My recommendation is run up to Nam Pong District and check out the King cobra village. Wicked fun! The labels on the cages are worth it alone ( e.g. "this cobra is a bit of ladies man and especially likes pure young things for breakfast"). Then nip over 40 mins west to the Ubon Rattana Dam and buy everyone somtam and ping gai/pla, washed down with a few cold ones for lunch by the waterside.

In pm., if you miss out on a swim or boat trip on the res., you could try and fit in the Dinosaur museum in Phu Wiang district (quite a long drive west out on Chumape road unfortunately, but not far as the crow flies!), or go and walk (shock! horror!) in the national park on the hills to the north of the Reservoir.

Lao der khun Boo! Chok dee.

Guys thanks for the tips on where to go, the cobra farm is a definate as I think that it will appeal on all levels, not sure if we could sqeeze in a trip to the mehkong this time round but next time maybe :D

The MIL is really into Yolay (spelling!) the healing through buddha, very popular in KK apparently & loads of people into it in Phol, the mIL gets people from all around come to get healed through her & I know there is a large temple dedicated to it somewhere around, so we might try a trip there too, to make her really happy :o

Guys thanks for the tips on where to go, the cobra farm is a definate as I think that it will appeal on all levels, not sure if we could sqeeze in a trip to the mehkong this time round but next time maybe :D

The MIL is really into Yolay (spelling!) the healing through buddha, very popular in KK apparently & loads of people into it in Phol, the mIL gets people from all around come to get healed through her & I know there is a large temple dedicated to it somewhere around, so we might try a trip there too, to make her really happy :o

Try the waterfalls near Leong Nok Tha, visit the secret air field , then onto The volcanic Park at Phu Mu quite spectacular, recomend the local Lao Kao as a shandy for the MIL , we took the inlaws from outback Queensland up there and they approved, so it must be okay , Nignoy :D

Take a trip out to Nam Nao. The scenery there is beautiful!!

You could stop at the dinosaur place on the way to keep the youngsters happy.

Waterfalls out at Nam Nao, s well as lots of animals in the park.

Khon Kaen Musuem is great for 1/2 a day.

What about a trip to Pattaya 2?

How about a half a day visit to Wat Nong Waeng, the big pyramid shaped temple 2 miles from Khon Kaen city centre. MIL can worship on the ground floor where there are a number of Buddha images and also the divination by sticks. there are also some very interesting painting all around the walls on the ground floor showing (I think) the founding of Khon Kaen. The kids can wear themselves out by climbing nine floors to the very top of the temple for a good view over Khon Kaen and the adjacent lake. There are numerous restaurants around the lake or go to Laguna Park to eat lunch in the huts on stilts out on the lake and the kids can feed the thousands of fish in the lake.

How about a half a day visit to Wat Nong Waeng,  the big pyramid shaped temple 2 miles from Khon Kaen city centre.  MIL can worship on the ground floor where there are a number of Buddha images and also the  divination by sticks.  there are also some very interesting painting all around the walls on the ground floor showing (I think) the founding of Khon Kaen.  The kids can wear themselves out by climbing nine floors to the very top of the temple for a good view over Khon Kaen and the adjacent lake.  There are numerous restaurants around the lake  or go to  Laguna Park to eat lunch in the huts on stilts out on the lake and the kids can feed the thousands of fish in the lake.

Maybe a little late but have you considered going to the ubonrat dam very nice picnic areas, walk along the wall if MIL is up to it also hire inner tubes kids can go swimming.

Take own food & drink or buy it from the many vendors there an inexpensive day out about 50kms from KK.

Mijan24 :o