Musicians In Chiang Rai?

brahmburgers

Am planning some recording sessions

There's a small studio that only charges Bt400/hr and they seem to have a good handle on it. 45 tracks! The techies are nice guys, but speak no English. There are basic band instruments there; trap-set drums, bass, 2 elec. guitars, a wimpy looking elec. keyboard.

I'll do most of the instrumentation, but am open to the following.

>>> horn players: particularly sax or trombone.

>>> vocalists: particularly female who can harmonize. I know there are thousands of Thai women who love to sing, but unfortunately, Thais aren't adept at harmonizing (at least I've never heard about it). I wouldn't mind if the singer(s) had depth to their voices, rather than the ubiquitous sing-songy little bird voices you hear everywhere in Thailand.

oh, by the way: the styles of music we're focusing on: mainly R&B, some blues, some R&R, some jazz. Tentatively planning about half a dozen tunes that I've written, and about half a dozen re-worked oldies: Some of the oldies being contemplated:

Lil Laurie - Sleepy John Estes

Needle in a Haystack - Velvelettes

Apricot Brandy - an instrumental by Rhinocerous

May do a Thai version of 'Freight Train' by Elizabeth Cotton

• 4 weeks later...
I'll lay down a Little Walter-esque blues harp riff in B flat to help out.

Not! (I'm way rusty- like 30 years)

Hope it works out.... :)

I just started doing some initial tracks today. One of the tunes is a Sleepy John Estes number called 'Lil Laurie' it's a shuffle blues in G, so a harp player would probably use a harp in C. There is room on there for a relatively simple part, even if you're rusty, you could probably get it. If not, it'd be fun trying.

Sounds great! Are you going to distribute the CDs in various venues in downtown Chiang Rai? You can always go Jonas or Christy and do some rap covers of luuk thung music. West coast, East coast kind of style but maybe with a hint of northern thai and some pi saw in the chorus.

• 9 months later...

This is a little off the subject.....but do you know of any music shops in CR? Looking for guitar strings and thumb picks. By the way, I used to have a recording studio back in the analog days. Still have a Tangent 3216 console here in Phayao. Also been playing harmonica for over 40 years....diatonics mostly. I love doing things with cross harp keys, and minor keys. Let me know if you are still doing this. thairone

This is a little off the subject.....but do you know of any music shops in CR? Looking for guitar strings and thumb picks. thairone

I've never been in it but there is a musical instrument shop very near the old bus station. On the same side of the road, heading out toward the highway. I would think there are others but that is the one I have seen and it is easy to find.

• 1 month later...

I live in Phayao and been jonesing to do some playing. Are you still doing this? Is not a problem to drive up to CR for some track laying. I used to have a 16 track, two inch Scully analog machine, back in the day. I still have my old Tangent 3216 recording console here in Phayao. Would love to get back into doing that. I worked professionally (or tried to....too many things you best say no to) as a musician back in the mid 70', 80's and early 90's. Thanks....thairhone