Opportunity Comes Knocking

Symmetrical Triangles

It should be no surprise that Symmetrical triangles are included in the important REVERSAL PATTERNS section of the the world's technical Bible, TAST9..

General TA books overemphasize/oversimplify that Symmetrical triangles are continuation patterns. How many books do we need that state the same thing and

never consider that Symmetrical triangles are excellent REVERSAL PATTERNS which take place at very, very, very important periods of MAJOR TREND CHANGE.

TAST9 then goes on to say that these particular periods are the most crucial ones for the investor to recognize for the general public will be unanimously expecting a continuation

and then voila, the breakout occurs in the opposite direction and they get ruined because the breakout of a triangle is in thrust mode, sharp and swift like a rocket move.

Note: In Gold, we have just such a situation, where a major weekly trendline has been broken, lower lows have occurred on the Daily and combine this with the fact that Gold just can't seem to get its act together and blast thru' $1,000 - given this scenario it should dawn on the investors' mind that this particular symmetrical triangle could very well be THAT ONE, yeah baby, THAT ONE. - i.e. the one that is a harbinger of major TREND REVERSAL. No guarantees but the trader should defintely consider this carefully.

TAST9 then goes on to state that ...

Prices may move out of the Symmetrical triangle either up or down. There is seldom, if ever, any clue as to direction UNTIL the move has already started, i.e. there is no clue until Prices have broken out and here's the key ..... IN DECISIVE fashion. Volume is critical here as a downside breakout with heavy volume right from the breakout instant is more likely to be a false signal.

The creme de la creme comes now ...

The reader will have undoubtedly found all this quite disconcerting. Here is a very pretty technical pattern and it cannot always be trusted. Unfortunately Symmetrical triangles are subject to FALSE MOVES to a far greater extent than the Head-Shoulders pattern or any of the other formations that we have discussed or will discuss. Unfortunately some of these false moves cannot be identified as such until after a money comittment has been made.

No technical chart pattern is 100% reliable and of all, our present subject, the Symmetrical Triangle is the WORST OFFENDER

The chapter goes on to show stunning examples of Symmetrical Triangles reversing TRENDS all thru' history all the way back to the 1920s.

One striking example from the early days of TA was the Symmetrical Triangle that hammered Sears and Roebuck at its bullmarket top in 1946.

But there are many examples.

Goodluck :)

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, its sunday night, my work is done, Market calls are made. I'm done.

If I'm wrong on direction, then I'm the IDIOT - freely admitted in advance.

If I'm correct on direction, I'll check back infrequently and plug in just a few words.

All the work is done during a trend reversal period. Once the trend reverses, no words are required, just long holidays with only a 5-minute weekly glance at the charts to see that all is OK.

This is the essence of TREND surfing - work harder than hard to catch the wave, then once caught, ride it to its natural decay or yours whichever comes first.

Best of luck to everyone

CaptainArk

Good point if your premise is correct, which I shall try to show you, is not the case.

>>> I am very aware of the thinking. <<<<

Being aware of the thinking and putting it into practise are two vastly different animals.

So, first things first, a specific answer is required here because you either understand the concept or we can talk till the cows come home and we'll get nowhere ....

(1) Do you agree with Warren Buffett's assessment that the best time to buy is when there is blood in the streets - when nobody else wants to buy?

(2) Do you agree with Warren Buffett's assessment that this methodology or way of thinking about markets applies to any and all markets? Note: in an interview he said so himself when he bought the Brazilian real years ago.

A definitive answer here, either Yes or No is required. No maybes or perhaps etc. - If your answer is YES, then we talk further. If your answer is NO., the discussion ends here. Fair enough?

Your court.

1) Yes

2)Yes

The currency market and macroeconomic gurus are the ones that are bearish on the dollar. You are right, its a contrarian play is to be bullish on the dollar within the currency crowd.

The mainstream investors and day traders are bullish on the dollar (evident in 2008 when they all piled into the dollar when the market crashed) So if the market is going to crash again then the contrarian play is actually to be bearish on the dollar.

So what is the Warren Buffet play on the dollar right now ? I would argue bearish.

Edited by sokal

Symmetrical Triangles

It should be no surprise that Symmetrical triangles are included in the important REVERSAL PATTERNS section of the the world's technical Bible, TAST9..

General TA books overemphasize/oversimplify that Symmetrical triangles are continuation patterns. How many books do we need that state the same thing and

never consider that Symmetrical triangles are excellent REVERSAL PATTERNS which take place at very, very, very important periods of MAJOR TREND CHANGE.

TAST9 then goes on to say that these particular periods are the most crucial ones for the investor to recognize for the general public will be unanimously expecting a continuation

and then voila, the breakout occurs in the opposite direction and they get ruined because the breakout of a triangle is in thrust mode, sharp and swift like a rocket move.

Note: In Gold, we have just such a situation, where a major weekly trendline has been broken, lower lows have occurred on the Daily and combine this with the fact that Gold just can't seem to get its act together and blast thru' $1,000 - given this scenario it should dawn on the investors' mind that this particular symmetrical triangle could very well be THAT ONE, yeah baby, THAT ONE. - i.e. the one that is a harbinger of major TREND REVERSAL. No guarantees but the trader should defintely consider this carefully.

TAST9 then goes on to state that ...

Prices may move out of the Symmetrical triangle either up or down. There is seldom, if ever, any clue as to direction UNTIL the move has already started, i.e. there is no clue until Prices have broken out and here's the key ..... IN DECISIVE fashion. Volume is critical here as a downside breakout with heavy volume right from the breakout instant is more likely to be a false signal.

The creme de la creme comes now ...

The reader will have undoubtedly found all this quite disconcerting. Here is a very pretty technical pattern and it cannot always be trusted. Unfortunately Symmetrical triangles are subject to FALSE MOVES to a far greater extent than the Head-Shoulders pattern or any of the other formations that we have discussed or will discuss. Unfortunately some of these false moves cannot be identified as such until after a money comittment has been made.

No technical chart pattern is 100% reliable and of all, our present subject, the Symmetrical Triangle is the WORST OFFENDER

The chapter goes on to show stunning examples of Symmetrical Triangles reversing TRENDS all thru' history all the way back to the 1920s.

One striking example from the early days of TA was the Symmetrical Triangle that hammered Sears and Roebuck at its bullmarket top in 1946.

But there are many examples.

Goodluck :)

So you're saying that because your bias is that Gold will fall THAT symmetrical triangle will be a reversal pattern. And you're saying that because your bias is that the Euro will fall too THAT symmetrical will be a continuation pattern. That's my bias too, but i don't trade my biases. I trade probabilities and the greatest probabilities lie with continuation. I'm not going to trade that though because I don't have to be in a trade in everything. I only trade things where my bias AND the probability is aligned. And not even all of that stuff as I only like being in the market when there is OVERWHELMING probability of success. Some people have to trade something all the time, but that's not me. (except for my daily ES stuff).

By the way except for static charts and long term charts I never use trendlines, Fibs, pivots S1S2 R1R2, fib extensions , etc. All that is subsumed by the algorithms in my program. Good Luck

For flying - you asked about Silver ....

Silver

Target = 1.84 :D:D:) As ludicrous as it might sound, that is my final target.

Is in a long-term downtrend. The top was in 2008.

Current upwave rally is a bearmarket rally.

I don't own it nor do I trade it.

But if someone wants to trade it, wait for the July 10th closing low of 12.64 to be taken out. If you do this and excercise this type of patience to just sit tight and wait, i.e. do nothing, you will have the greatest ally, the magnanimous one, aka the 200-day moving average which is right around there. If you did wait to enter Short at this point you will have steamrollers helping your trade as every hedge fund will pile in on the 200 break. If we get there, count on it!

But for now, do NOTHING.

How could silver be in a bear market rally when it was never in a bear market ?

A bear market is when a market declines pretty substantially over time. A bear market usually has to make lower lows. Silver and Gold has had one major correction less then a year ago. That's not a bear market.

:D:D:D what are you smoking, chief?

>>>>>> How could silver be in a bear market rally when it was never in a bear market? <<<<<<<<

I'd call a crash of 94% of its value a sizzling bearmarket.

Silver topped in 1980, then gave up 94% of its value and then get this, can't even make it back to its 1980 top even though Gold has surpassed its own 1980 top.

>>>>>>>> A bear market is when a market declines pretty substantially over time. <<<<<<<

A 94% decline is not substantial enough for you?

You're killin me chief. Have mercy.

>>>>>>> A bear market usually has to make lower lows <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Behold all the lower lows from the 1980 top (even clearer on Daily) as Silver descended into her 94% decline.

And in Silver's recent action, here you're really killin me - as recent as October last year Silver not only violated daily and weekly lows but even took out a huge monthly low.

>>>>>> Silver and Gold has had one major correction less then a year ago. That's not a bear market. <<<<<<<

Who's contradicting now? 4 lines up you say a bear market has to make lower lows ......

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Enjoy the Silver chart, Chief. Some info just for you ... a dose of reality regardless how painful ....

Since January 1980 there has been NO worse investment than Silver which is still 76% below its dollar value on that day. This means that silver is cheaper today than it was 29 years ago - a heck of a long time to expect any investor to wait to get rich!!!!! It will take the next lifetime to make up for the opportunity cost lost by those staying in silver while every other investment took off.

And dig this .. these cats are still bullish Silver today as we speak.

Punishment sought and sought and relished, it seems to me.

greetings and well wishes, chief.

post-88670-1250410210_thumb.jpg

Metals are not an investment, they are a store of value. They are not an IOU like the dollars you are pricing them in. An increase in monetary metals is really just a decrease in the purchasing power of dollars. The dollar is in a bear market. Metals don't have bull markets or bear markets.

Remember why silver and gold came down in the 80s ? It was because the Federal reserve jacked up interest rates to 20% to save the value of the dollar.

Here's my conumdrum Harm Capt'n. Both Gold and the Euro are usually the other side of the $USD trade. Presently both have formed symmetrical triangles (Gold a little one and Euro larger) on their weekly charts. Gold's while in an uptrend and the Euro while in a downtrend. The symmetrical triangle is usually a fairly high reliability pattern denoting continuation of trend. So what's it gonna be?

http://chart-patterns.netfirms.com/symmetrical.htm

Conondrum(s)? Not surprising. You rec watching the Euro Index instead of the Dollar Index to discern Dollar moves.

>>> Gold's while in an uptrend <<<<

Wrong.

Gold's uptrend received a fatal blow on 9-12-08 when it broke a Weekly trendline, and its still having trouble with this very same line. Even discarding all other analysis, its not wise to trifle with the most basic of basic tools, the trendline and especially a weekly or monthly one.

I could put half a dozen trendlines on the atttached chart if i cared to. Most of which will not have been broken. You can say its in a downtrend if you want to but a picture is worth a thousand words isn't it? What the bearish crowd has in its favor are the negative D's that are forming.

post-25601-1250407327_thumb.png

>>> The symmetrical triangle is usually a fairly high reliability pattern denoting continuation of trend. <<<<

http://www.trending123.com/patterns/bullish_symmetrical_triangle.html

Wrong.

Please revisit your basics - John Murphy's or better still see these in the Bible of TA (TA of stock trends, 9th ed) ... Chapter 7, page 75 onwards. Then we can revisit the issue.

--------------------------------------

On a different note, I did consider said triangle as a possible 4th wave triangle for the "c" part of wave B's a-b-c. By definition, 4th waves are penultimate waves, meaning there will be one last runup. This scenario is still possible though odds are smaller than that of my original call for a downside break.

post-25601-1250407976_thumb.png

http://www.trending123.com/patterns/Symmetrical-Continuation-Triangle-Bearish-Chart-Pattern.html

Anyhow, nothing wrong with being wrong, you or me, but if we know that's a possibility a little humility never hurts.

------------------------------

Humility? Please excercise some then.

I've read many of your posts and charts. From your comments about Robert Prechter you made it quite clear HE was the cause of you being a failed trader. Correct me if I am wrong - you DON'T trade. But you have no problems posting indicator loaded charts and correcting the calls of others.

Your comments about trendlines are shocking ....

I wanted you to read the section on Symmetrical triangles from TAST9, not from pulling articles off similarly wrong individuals from the Internet. Its a widely misunderstood subject. Your view is too simplistic. You'll see if you just took the time.

Anyway, since we are talking about Gold and your Euro, pick one, post your analysis and make your call. Reasoning, targets etc. You've got 5000 posts here - not one proper call but you're ready to jump on everyone else's call and fire bullets from the shadows.

Get a hold of TAST9, you'll dig it.

Like Warren Buffet and Benjamine Graham, I am not a day trader or a short term trader.

for Sokal

Just saw this a few minutes ago - perfect to clear up your premise, which I said was false. The vast majority of equity investors are BULLLLLLLISH to an extent of 90%+. Historical extreme. The last time this occurred was in late 2007 - yeah that's right, that's when the Dow started crashing.

So, do the math equation ....

majority are bullish stocks = bearish the $ = stocks are about to crash = $ is about to rocket.

So easy to understand .... what's the pb?

Read and enjoy, perhaps my english is not good enough

http://pragcap.com/sentiment-readings-send...warning-signals

I will try again......

We both agree that there will be a stock market crash.

You think that when the market crashes that everyone in equities will just pile into the dollar like they did in 2008. That's what happend in the November lows and it is also what happend in the March lows.

I think that when the stock market crashes that everyone in equities might not pile into the dollar like they did in 2008 and in the November lows and in the March lows.

That is why I don't think it is a contrarian play to be bullish on the dollar when the stock market crashes again. It would be a contrarian play to be bullish on metal maybe foreign currecies and assets during the next crash.

For Lannarebirth- no hard feelings but I'm compelled to say this to you :)

in 6 months you will have 10,000 to 20,000 posts here and all for nought. In 5 more years you might hit 100-200k posts or instead spend that time and get an education. In what? Whatever, but since you have been a trader, gotten buggered real good like the rest of us, why not go back and restudy the basics instead of blaming Robert Prechter and the fellows at EWI. They didn't hold a weapon to your head and tell you to buy or sell. You did that on your own based on your own greed, larceny et al, just like the rest of us.

My calls here are done. There is nothing more to do except let time go by and see if I have the direction correct - markets move slowly and need time to resolve. If I'm correct in my calls, as the market moves down I'll plug in just a few words here and there over the next 2 years as my targets are approached. But just a few words. Getting the direction right is 90% of the work. Picking the right bvehicle is another 5%. Then add another 200% to personal emotion because it alone can cripple us and make us do stupid things. This is the reason for my targets ahead of time because this period is one of low emotional activity as the move has not yet started. Therefore the mind is clear. But once the move gets going and even if correct, emotion can cause me to do stupid things - so when such incidents of irrationality occur I just go back to basic-basic, i.e. my calls made in the prior emotionless state and that anchors me and helps not to engage in stupid stuff with the TREND like taking on more leverage and liquidating too quickly etc

To me you are the master of time wastage and incredibly lazy for not making the effort to correct your self-defeating technical habits. So here are some freebies for you. Take it or leave it. Its given in the spirit of "traders"

your charts are too complicated, too crowded, too much detail and mostly they contain too many indicators. The human mind cannot cope with such vast amounts of data and usually this generates huge errors as the -ve forces aka emotion will wreak havoc on the thusly confused mind. So cut down to just a max of 2 indicators. A moving average is a moving trendline but one of Nature's best gifts to us is the trendline on Log scale. Use it, use it and use it, esp. on weekly and monthly charts. Robert Edwards, John McGee, the primary authors from the early-mid 1900s have written the best book there is on Tech. We now have Charles Bassetti, Professor of Finance at GGU in San Fran taken over the editorship of this magnificent bible. Look at the number of chapters on TRENDLINES. What a treat.

Because you're so lazy and I'm departing, here's some notes I had to type just for you - from the book TAST9.

see next post for why your dopey attitude on symmetrical triangles will kill you quicker than whiskey - and all those links you posted from the Internet written by other dopey individuals - they are playing with fire.

This post put me in my mind of TV mod Camerata's signature "Never wrestle with pigs... you get dirty and the pigs love it." My sainted nona had another "An ass will bray and bray... until he finds another ass."

Anyhow, when you're ready to give up on EWI but not Ewaves give this a read:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/14795387/Robert-...Dynamic-Trading

Edited by lannarebirth

Targets

Dow Jones

------------------------------------------------

S&P500

--------------------------------------------------

China

-------------------------------------------------

EURUSD

----------------------------------------------------

Think about this for a minute. The average retiree on Social Security receives about $1,100 per month, or $13,000 per year. This is a dollar denominated promise. If the crash from top to bottom is 90% or more as Prechter predicts, this would give each and every Social Security recipient the equivalent purchasing power of $130,000 per year when purchasing real estate, the stock market or even commodities. Basically everything.

And this will be true not only for Social Security, but for anyone on the receiving end of a dollar denominated promise, including all pensioners, anyone with a tenured job, like teachers and government workers, and including everyone in Congress. Virtually everyone with an income or cash savings will see their purchasing power rise ten-fold!

The problem with this view is that the real economy right now cannot even afford to deliver real economic goods at TODAY'S dollar purchasing power, let alone another 800% rise in purchasing power, with Ben printing new ones the whole way there.

Currency is the key

There is a quote I like that comes from Le Metropole Cafe. It goes, "we will have deflation in everything we own, and inflation in everything we use". This is partly true. It is true during the run up to the rubber band snapping. It is true until we hit the waterfall. At that point I have my own version of the quote. "We will have hyperDEflation in everything measured against real money, GOLD, and we will have hyperINflation in everything measured against paper dollars."

Some people have to trade something all the time, but that's not me.

You know seeing you post that reminded me that was my problem back in 99-00 when I was trading. If I had the restraint you mentioned I would have done much better.

Metals are not an investment, they are a store of value. They are not an IOU like the dollars you are pricing them in. An increase in monetary metals is really just a decrease in the purchasing power of dollars. The dollar is in a bear market. Metals don't have bull markets or bear markets.

Remember why silver and gold came down in the 80s ? It was because the Federal reserve jacked up interest rates to 20% to save the value of the dollar.

That was my reason for asking if he bought physical or traded paper . Once he said he was a paper gold trader I knew it is a different mentality than my own regarding metals.

We both agree that there will be a stock market crash.

You think that when the market crashes that everyone in equities will just pile into the dollar like they did in 2008. That's what happend in the November lows and it is also what happend in the March lows.

I think that when the stock market crashes that everyone in equities might not pile into the dollar like they did in 2008 and in the November lows and in the March lows.

That is why I don't think it is a contrarian play to be bullish on the dollar when the stock market crashes again. It would be a contrarian play to be bullish on metal maybe foreign currecies and assets during the next crash.

I agree although I also think depending on what is truthfully released between now & the crash may have some impact on how many run to the dollar again. If the truth were released today very few would. I know the only reason they ran last time was the illusion of strength. But since then much has been realized about what a folly that is. I think it is also a partial reason for the upswing in the markets as they run like the Russians did to buy *something*

But on the next tank I think it will be much more severe & yet still many will have the mind that if its all going down the USD may have the best chance of being the last man standing. I am not one of them :)

I think a great many will have already run to PM's but at the crash, same as last time.. but much larger.. those that try to run during a stampede will find it so crowded they may not be able to find a door. Last Oct. supply was drying up so fast. I also think paper metal traders will be disappointed they did not take delivery while the front was still being acted out.

Edited by flying

I think a great many will have already run to PM's but at the crash, same as last time.. but much larger.. those that try to run during a stampede will find it so crowded they may not be able to find a door. Last Oct. supply was drying up so fast. I also think paper metal traders will be disappointed they did not take delivery while the front was still being acted out.

a fairy tale does not become reality when it contains some half truth Flying. there was no such thing like precious metals supply "drying" out. the only supply that temporarily dried out were gold and platinum coins as well as flyshit size gold ingots. 1kg and 500g gold bars were always available in abundance.

a fairy tale does not become reality when it contains some half truth Flying. there was no such thing like precious metals supply "drying" out. the only supply that temporarily dried out were gold and platinum coins as well as flyshit size gold ingots. 1kg and 500g gold bars were always available in abundance.

You got me there :)

You are correct as I remember considering a couple of kg bars I knew about.

But you know like many who hold/hedge my long term view worries about sale time & finding buyers or uses. Smaller denominations are sure to be easier.

But then again even though fractional (less than 1oz) are available now I cannot stomach the crazy premiums that go with it. So I stick to 1oz coins.

You got me there :D

You are correct as I remember considering a couple of kg bars I knew about.

But you know like many who hold/hedge my long term view worries about sale time & finding buyers or uses. Smaller denominations are sure to be easier.

But then again even though fractional (less than 1oz) are available now I cannot stomach the crazy premiums that go with it. So I stick to 1oz coins.

but even these command a premium, not only then but today too. of course coins are much more handy than kilo bars when buying bakeries (courtesy: KhunJean) :)

Think about this for a minute. The average retiree on Social Security receives about $1,100 per month, or $13,000 per year. This is a dollar denominated promise. If the crash from top to bottom is 90% or more as Prechter predicts, this would give each and every Social Security recipient the equivalent purchasing power of $130,000 per year when purchasing real estate, the stock market or even commodities. Basically everything.

And this will be true not only for Social Security, but for anyone on the receiving end of a dollar denominated promise, including all pensioners, anyone with a tenured job, like teachers and government workers, and including everyone in Congress. Virtually everyone with an income or cash savings will see their purchasing power rise ten-fold!

The problem with this view is that the real economy right now cannot even afford to deliver real economic goods at TODAY'S dollar purchasing power, let alone another 800% rise in purchasing power, with Ben printing new ones the whole way there.

Currency is the key

There is a quote I like that comes from Le Metropole Cafe. It goes, "we will have deflation in everything we own, and inflation in everything we use". This is partly true. It is true during the run up to the rubber band snapping. It is true until we hit the waterfall. At that point I have my own version of the quote. "We will have hyperDEflation in everything measured against real money, GOLD, and we will have hyperINflation in everything measured against paper dollars."

Sokal,

This sounds like an interesting argument but I dont understand it.

Could you explain it in a more simple way?

Currency is the key

Sokal,

This sounds like an interesting argument but I dont understand it.

Could you explain it in a more simple way?

I will post a link to the argument that convinced me. Read through this and see who's side you are on. The gold guy or the USD guy.

Inflation vs Deflation and the USD vs Gold

US Dollar Index Call

US Dollar bottom is already in on August 5th, or perhaps one more marginal low. Its got to be close - I can smell it.

post-88670-1250360687_thumb.jpg

Why?

(1) Dollar bulls at historic low of just 3%. This means that yet again, like in March-July 2008 and Dec 2004,

the dollar is the most hated currency, despised, reviled and written off. The crowd is as usual one-sided.

This is by definition a turning point aborning.

In both those past instances amidst the hatred he blasted out the basement and shot north. In a few weeks everybody fell back in love with him.

Fickle. :D

We are there once more, right on the cusp of an EVENT.

(2) Charting: Elliottwave analysis ... From the March 2008 low Dollar shot up in 5 clear impulse waves. He then corrected in standard A-B-C format.

The "C" wave down shows 5 internal waves, so to me the wave appears complete, but I don't mind one more marginal low.

Point is, I feel we are past or very close to the bottom.

Charting: Conventional Technical Analysis:

See the Price trendline taken out? If it stays taken out and he uses this as a springboard, we're off to the races. If he falls thru' it, then more work required. Bummer.

See the Macd trendline. If this gets taken out it will be real sweet.

(3) But the ultimate test - the basic-basic of TREND

IF he can't get past the wave 4 hump at approx. 81.6 - its a dud. He's got to fly past this in order to make a believer out of me and get my trading dough committed to LONG Dollar.

And on a different note, given the correlation, which may or may not hold, Goldbugs might get shattered if Dollar rockets north. Conversely, if dollar flops out, Goldbugs will shatter me!! :)

Im confused.

The Title says US Dollar Index Call, yet all the analysis is lifted DIRECTLY from EWI, but it is'nt attributed?

Worse still is that the authors, EWI, are hopeless with anything wave related. They offer sound anecdotal and technical analysis, but their wave work is what, ironically, lets them down.

Pretcher is one of the greats in terms of financial and social newsletters, and his own wave work is surely the highlight of EWI, but thats like being the smart one from The Flintstones :D

US Dollar Index Call

US Dollar bottom is already in on August 5th, or perhaps one more marginal low. Its got to be close - I can smell it.

Why?

(1) Dollar bulls at historic low of just 3%. This means that yet again, like in March-July 2008 and Dec 2004,

the dollar is the most hated currency, despised, reviled and written off. The crowd is as usual one-sided.

In both those past instances amidst the hatred he blasted out the basement and shot north. In a few weeks everybody fell back in love with him.

(2) Charting: Elliottwave analysis ... From the March 2008 low Dollar shot up in 5 clear impulse waves. He then corrected in standard A-B-C format.

The "C" wave down shows 5 internal waves, so to me the wave appears complete, but I don't mind one more marginal low.

See the Price trendline taken out? If it stays taken out and he uses this as a springboard, we're off to the races. If he falls thru' it, then more work required. Bummer.

IF he can't get past the wave 4 hump at approx. 81.6 - its a dud. He's got to fly past this in order to make a believer out of me and get my trading dough committed to LONG Dollar.

And on a different note, given the correlation, which may or may not hold, Goldbugs might get shattered if Dollar rockets north. Conversely, if dollar flops out, Goldbugs will shatter me!! :)

Reminder:

Dollar Index is in a bullrun. Look to the left in the daily chart to the 2008 bottom. That's the true bottom.

If I am right in my call, the current bottom is a secondary bottom, a springboard for the next monumental rise.

The Macd breakout shown in the chart above is another helpful indication supporting my call.

Sharpening the call still further:

60-min. close > 78.7 = good odds we are on our way.

US Dollar Index Call

Why?

Im confused.

The Title says US Dollar Index Call, yet all the analysis is lifted DIRECTLY from EWI, but it is'nt attributed?

Worse still is that the authors, EWI, are hopeless with anything wave related. They offer sound anecdotal and technical analysis, but their wave work is what, ironically, lets them down.

Pretcher is one of the greats in terms of financial and social newsletters, and his own wave work is surely the highlight of EWI, but thats like being the smart one from The Flintstones :D

You answered your own question, badge.

Refer to the 3 points in my call.

Point (3) is my own proprietary method and is the only yardstick I use for money committment across all timeframes.

Point (2) is my own understanding of elliottwave regardless what EWI thinks because they are terrible market timers as history has often shown. Point (3) overrides (2) a million to 1. Regardless what I believe the wavecount is, I don't enter unless (3) gives me the go ahead.

But point (1) is in the public domain, a sentiment indicator that I cannot do well as it requires too many resources and data streams. This is where Prechter and EWI shine, their forte and they are magnificent here. The raw data is not their own but comes from Univ. of Mich., Bianco Research and other sentiment establishments. But they put it all together from a consensus-averaging point of view. So when I see 3% bulls, historic low etc. on their website I take this into account. Its only a get-ready tool, not an ultimate market-timing tool because bulls can still go lower to 1% or even 0.5%, but it does suggest that dollar index has moved down too long and is ripe for a sharp reversal.

Im confused.

Pretcher is one of the greats in terms of financial and social newsletters, and his own wave work is surely the highlight of EWI, but thats like being the smart one from The Flintstones :)

There was no question really. Your response is superfluous.

Allow me to clarify;

"all the analysis is lifted DIRECTLY from EWI, but it is'nt attributed"

Good Luck with that :D

Im confused.

Pretcher is one of the greats in terms of financial and social newsletters, and his own wave work is surely the highlight of EWI, but thats like being the smart one from The Flintstones :)

There was no question really. Your response is superfluous.

Allow me to clarify;

"all the analysis is lifted DIRECTLY from EWI, but it is'nt attributed"

Good Luck with that :D

Here's the attribution:

All analysis and opinions by CaptainARK1.

US Dollar Index Call

Why?

Reminder:

Dollar Index is in a bullrun. Look to the left in the daily chart to the 2008 bottom. That's the true bottom.

If I am right in my call, the current bottom is a secondary bottom, a springboard for the next monumental rise.

The Macd breakout shown in the chart above is another helpful indication supporting my call.

So are you sticking to your position that holding dollars for the next 2 years will result in an 800% rise in purchasing power ?

Also you did not rebut anything I wrote so I guess you are pretending that you didnt see it.

Edited by sokal

US Dollar Index Call

Why?

Reminder:

This is what the sharpening looks like on realtime 60-min. (used for confirmation of short entries on EurUsd, GbpUsd et al)

post-88670-1250828233_thumb.jpg

This is how I'm playing the current tight 60-min. correction.

Progressive low leverage entry signals on each green arrow breakout.

Note that the topmost black trendline will be flush with 200-period ma

by the time we get there. That's another confirmatory tool if exceeded.

I could be wrong but this is what I am going with.

US Dollar Index Call

Why?

Reminder:

So are you sticking to your position that holding dollars for the next 2 years will result in an 800% rise in purchasing power ?

Also you did not rebut anything I wrote so I guess you are pretending that you didnt see it.

Yes! Let me say it loudly

BUY the US Dollar - minimum target to 90 (for Index) smack into 200-day mov. avg.

---------------------------------

sorry sokal, was busy, will answer over weekend.

but here's a quickie .....

Your friend Warren Buffett just announced end to the recession. So did most other economists and financial TV stations. Many other prominent persons are also saying that. In essence what Buffett is saying is that the CRASH has been averted.

Now please read the opening post in this thread.

CaptainARK1 is saying .... The CRASH has resumed - the signals given for Dow, and S&P have been triggered. China was the first one to rally off the lows in 2008 and now the first one to crash. Also note that the CALL here had no communication lag - the CRASH occurred immediately the next business day. Short worldwide stock markets. And if you have those kind of bucks, short Warren's company, Berkshire Hathaway. Will provide a crash target price for Berkshire over the weekend.

The CALL is in motion.

Can I be totally wrong? Yes. There are no guarantees, but the odds are in my favor and that's all anybody can ask for.

I'm going with it 100%.

US Dollar Index Call

Why?

Reminder:

BUY the US Dollar - minimum target to 90 (for Index) smack into 200-day mov. avg.

Your friend Warren Buffett just announced end to the recession. So did most other economists and financial TV stations. Many other prominent persons are also saying that. In essence what Buffett is saying is that the CRASH has been averted.

CaptainARK1 is saying .... The CRASH has resumed - the signals given for Dow, and S&P have been triggered. China was the first one to rally off the lows in 2008 and now the first one to crash. Also note that the CALL here had no communication lag - the CRASH occurred immediately the next business day. Short worldwide stock markets. And if you have those kind of bucks, short Warren's company, Berkshire Hathaway. Will provide a crash target price for Berkshire over the weekend.

The CALL is in motion.

Can I be totally wrong? Yes. There are no guarantees, but the odds are in my favor and that's all anybody can ask for.

I'm going with it 100%.

correcting error - that should read 200-MONTH moving average, not 200-day

Here's the attribution:

Nonsense.

Why not just say 'this is what EWI think'?

Your only kidding yourself, and its a little saddening if I may say.

Perhaps you should take a while to think about what it is your trying to achieve?

US Dollar Index Call

Why?

Reminder:

The CALL is in motion.

I'm going with it 100%.

I agree that there will be a crash, I just don't see any value in the US dollar in the long term. I am not a day trader or even a monthly trader. I also think that if this is the mother of all crashes that the dollar will not survive it. If its a 20% correction then the dollar will probably go up.

Warren Buffet has been losing his mind the last few years. Anyone who voted for Obama is clueless so I really don't have a whole lot of respect for the guy anymore.

Here's the attribution:

Nonsense.

Why not just say 'this is what EWI think'?

Your only kidding yourself, and its a little saddening if I may say.

Perhaps you should take a while to think about what it is your trying to achieve?

Why ask me anything then, if you already made up your mind that it is the way you think it is?

Make some calls yourself or talk to my ex-wife - you two will get along well. :D

For starters, "state your call on the Dollar Index here and do it NOW - with target or other analysis - present your complete chart analysis"

No excuses, don't be a trading sissy, just do it. Put your neck on the line.

--------------------------------

As for character attacks, please do the following ..........

Phone: 800-336-1618 (inside the US) or ++770-536-0309 (outside the U.S.)

Hours: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday.

or send them a direct email thru' their website stating you have found a content thief or whatever your actual insinuation is ...

They have a standing rule that any subscriber caught sharing subscription data will be charged the monthly + x times the # of persons shared with. I could be facing a huge bill if found guilty.

Do it now.

Some good might come out of it. Bobby might decide to post here himself. :)

------------------------

So repeated here and expounded,

ALLLLLLLLLLL anal-ysis or analysis, both right and wrong are exclusively and entirely by CaptainARK1.

Robert Prechter was/is my teacher of elliottwave tech. - but I do my own work and in this case am thrilled that the only dollar bulls remaining in the trenches are the folk at EWI and myself. I'm in excellent company even though I'm not a subscriber.

[/b]

The CALL is in motion.

I'm going with it 100%.

I agree that there will be a crash, I just don't see any value in the US dollar in the long term. I am not a day trader or even a monthly trader. I also think that if this is the mother of all crashes that the dollar will not survive it. If its a 20% correction then the dollar will probably go up.

Warren Buffet has been losing his mind the last few years. Anyone who voted for Obama is clueless so I really don't have a whole lot of respect for the guy anymore.

Well said.

IMHO there is a war going on and the 2 parties are

US Dollar versus the REST OF MARKETS.

If the Dollar were to crash now and go to zero, there would be no world left to speak of.

Europeans? Even with the dollar as sick as it is currently, the price of its enemies are still measured in $ units. That tells me they are ALL still just underlings yak-yaking when the pressure mounts. Like a bunch of ex-wives at the annual husband bashing contest.

Russia? China? India? Brazil?

All lightweights! China might be an exception but too early to tell.

Japan? If it comes out of its deflationary funk, might stand the best chance of taking over the #1 slot.

My bet remains with just 2 power hitters

US Dollar and Japanese Yen.

sorry sokac, screwed that one up with the quotes ...

---------------------------------------------------

Well said sokal

IMHO there is a war going on and the 2 parties are

US Dollar versus the REST OF MARKETS.

If the Dollar were to crash now and go to zero, there would be no world left to speak of.

Europeans? Even with the dollar as sick as it is currently, the price of its enemies are still measured in $ units. That tells me they are ALL still just underlings yak-yaking when the pressure mounts. Like a bunch of ex-wives at the annual husband bashing contest.

Russia? China? India? Brazil?

All lightweights! China might be an exception but too early to tell.

Japan? If it comes out of its deflationary funk, might stand the best chance of taking over the #1 slot.

My bet remains with just 2 power hitters

US Dollar and Japanese Yen.

First of all the, $USD 3% bullish sentiment number that apparently you and EWI came up with simultaneously, undoubtedly through independant means, is bullshit.

I'm not saying you won't pull that number out from somewhere, but when I asked a friend last week (who is a Market Vane subscriber) $USD sentiment stood at 41%.

Edited by lannarebirth