How To Bargain In Thailand

I want to buy a motorbike from the motorbike shop near the bophut traffic lights (the big one opposite the furniture place).

I took a thai friend yesterday and she said that the guy said no discount, tried again no success..

I think if I go today with a swad of thousands then show interest, flash the cash and if same story, 'no discount no sale' i might have more chance?

I want to buy a motorbike from the motorbike shop near the bophut traffic lights (the big one opposite the furniture place).

I took a thai friend yesterday and she said that the guy said no discount, tried again no success..

I think if I go today with a swad of thousands then show interest, flash the cash and if same story, 'no discount no sale' i might have more chance?

I've bought a number of bikes here over the years and never managed to get any discount. My experiences might be irrevelent though to the current economic climate as i have'nt bought one for a while.

Why not look for a relatively new second hand bike?

I guess you might be lucky, a different day/approach might see a different answer but sounds like the guy is not prepared to shift. Try telling him you have mates that might also be looking for bikes.

I would, however, be very careful flashing swads of thousands around anywhere. (Never know who might be watching).

But I guess you dont need me to tell you that.

Best of luck.

I'm in the rurall part of Thailand; Buri-Ram province... I've bought 1 new Kawasaki, 1 new Honda and 1 used Honda 750. I've never paid the full asking price, ever. I had the wife let them know that I was paying cash... and then set her loose on getting some service and goodies thrown in. I remember on the Kawasaki, she had the store manager almost in tears, we almost walked out twice over the price, he said no discount, I said good bye and started walking, he caught the wife both times... Then after we agreed on the price of the bike, I said I wanted some oil and a helmet. The wife went to work and then the bawling started...

When I asked her what he was whining about, we'd already made the deal; she said wait... wait... when we left I found out that she got 2 quarts of oil, 2 helmets, 2 shirts and they agreed to come to the village and service the bike; we didn't have to take it in... I started to even feel bad for the guy. :) The Hondas, we just got a few thousand knocked off the price. I only ran across one shop that wouldn't discount; they didn't get our business.

This might help you.

Motorcycle-prices-in-Thailand

This is a good site and I used this information when I bought my Honda CZi. They (Mityon Pattaya) knocked B1,000 off the list price, two helmets, two jackets and a license plate frame.

If one dealer won't "deal" walk away and try another one. :)

Edited by Lancelot