Getting A Towbar Fitted

ianf

My new version Honda CRV would like to have a Towbar fitted to her backend. Took her to that place opposite Honda Garage on Hang Dong Road. Very happy to sell me a Thule 3-bicycle rack that fits on a towbar, but they have no idea (a) what a towbar is and (:) where you get one from. "Ahh" said the lovely young lady "this is what you need!" It was an end bit of an exhaust system!!!!! Anyone with any helpful suggestions? Please? (PS I don't understand spoken Thai, I just guessed that she said the above!!!)

Are you looking for a towbar or a towing hitch? Haven't seen anyplace in Chiang Mai for a towbar, but a couple of places between Bangkok and Pathum Thani. For tow hitches you can find them where Milton suggests but those are pretty substandard. Try MaxAuto on the Maejo Rd up 100 meters or so on the left from superhighway.

My new version Honda CRV would like to have a Towbar fitted to her backend. Took her to that place opposite Honda Garage on Hang Dong Road. Very happy to sell me a Thule 3-bicycle rack that fits on a towbar, but they have no idea (a) what a towbar is and ( :) where you get one from. "Ahh" said the lovely young lady "this is what you need!" It was an end bit of an exhaust system!!!!! Anyone with any helpful suggestions? Please? (PS I don't understand spoken Thai, I just guessed that she said the above!!!)

I assume the OP is talking about a hitch, as in a trailer hitch that you see on virtually every pick-up truck in the U.S. I have never seen one in Thailand. Is it legal to tow a trailer behind a pick-up (or Honda CRV) here in LOS? I would love to have one on my pick-up but had assumed that for some reason trailers were against the law. The way they stack cabbages, etc., to the sky on the little pick-ups here, I would assume every farmer would also have a trailer -- were it legal. Does anybody know FOR SURE?

My new version Honda CRV would like to have a Towbar fitted to her backend. Took her to that place opposite Honda Garage on Hang Dong Road. Very happy to sell me a Thule 3-bicycle rack that fits on a towbar, but they have no idea (a) what a towbar is and ( :) where you get one from. "Ahh" said the lovely young lady "this is what you need!" It was an end bit of an exhaust system!!!!! Anyone with any helpful suggestions? Please? (PS I don't understand spoken Thai, I just guessed that she said the above!!!)

I assume the OP is talking about a hitch, as in a trailer hitch that you see on virtually every pick-up truck in the U.S. I have never seen one in Thailand. Is it legal to tow a trailer behind a pick-up (or Honda CRV) here in LOS? I would love to have one on my pick-up but had assumed that for some reason trailers were against the law. The way they stack cabbages, etc., to the sky on the little pick-ups here, I would assume every farmer would also have a trailer -- were it legal. Does anybody know FOR SURE?

I'll bet this guy knows:

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/automotive...sale-14725.html

I'll bet this guy knows:

Thanks! I e-mailed him and will report is there is anything to report. I have wondered about this for a long time.

I'll bet this guy knows:

Thanks! I e-mailed him and will report is there is anything to report. I have wondered about this for a long time.

Thanks! I don't actually want to tow anything. I need it for a bicycle rack - the Thule type that sits on a towbar rather than the type that straps onto the back of the vehicle.

Trailers are used here and bumper hitches are available. For what you want, you may have to have one made or buy a new rear bumper with a hitch set up. Max Auto Parts on 1001 just north of SuperHwy that LannaRB mentioned is a good bet, ask for Peak (Pee-ahk) he speaks good English and is very helpful. I had a good experience with a roof rack installation there.

But Choon Silp was considerably less expensive (on two occasions) for some accessories that I had installed; They have some bumpers with ball hitches in stock and can order others. I was just there looking for a new bumper with a hitch, but they didn't have any under-frame mounted, square receiving set-ups like I think you are looking for. But they do all kinds of accessories and if you take your rack they may be able to set you up. Choon Silp is on the SuperHwy, south of BigC,the Honda and Peugot dealers, just south of the last overpass and the Isuzu dealer. I think I remember a 'Lamphun 25km' sign. Go slow as you pass the multiple merge lanes and Isuzu and you'll see all the Carryboy shells out front. No English at Choon Silp, but they are very good at what they do from my experience.

I'll ask tomorrow at a body shop where I have to go to get my pickup after repairs. This is a big body shop and they have access to a lot of parts suppliers. (My ride got rear-ended when I stopped for someone in a crosswalk; see I still have my polite, yield-to-pedestrians California driving habits and look what happens) don

Richco Motorsports had a local shop mount a quality frame mounted square receiver type on both his pickup and Dad's Fortuner. Give him a ring at 081 030 8307

We have used these hitches to tow bikes all over Thailand and no problems at numerous police inspection stations. Another friend tows a race truck all over as well.

Trailers are perfectly legal in Thailand, how do I know? because i build trailers they need to be approved and signed for by an engineer which is in the condition to get them licensed.

Cheers

Trailers are perfectly legal in Thailand, how do I know? because i build trailers they need to be approved and signed for by an engineer which is in the condition to get them licensed.

Cheers

does it really matter? I say that tongue in cheek as most of us have seen the examples usually being towed behind a Honda Wave and usually strapped on by some cord or even hand held by the passenger.

Fred,

You make a good point that I dont think anyone else mentioned.

Trailers have to be "licenced".

I dont know what this involves.

Could you enlighten us ?

I could not explain the whole process to you it would take to much time and many pages to write

but just let's say it took me years to find out how to do it. (actually my wife does all the paperworks)

1. You need an engineer level 3 to draw up the trailer and sign for it

2. Gather all revellent forms at the main transport department in BKK

3. After being send back and forward hundreds of times hand in the forms, picture of trailer,drwgs,

at the department in BKK again

4. The will send all forms to the department in your area

5. You approach the department in your area with the completed trailer and stamped on chassie No.

6. The department then meassures the trailer, weighs the trailer

7. After paying the fee and tea money you go and get the third party insurance for the trailer

8. You then can pick up the licence and red number plate

9. Then wait till the original No. plate will be send from BKK to your department

10. Which can take any thing from 2-3 month

11. Pick up your number plate

12. Here we go, now you have a licensed trailer

Easy isn't it? :)

• 2 years later...

would anyone have any updates to this topic? went into the shop at Hangdong called PPS Accesories and they did carry a roof rack solution with the Thule roof rack at around 10k baht (square thing) and the Thule bicycle holder around 8k plus. Whole setup just shy of 20k!

i was hoping for a cheaper solution in carrying my bicycle. I have a Honda Civic. looking for something apart from a rear trunk strap on style holder.

How about all the boat trailers used around Pattaya and down South? Are those mostly licensed or unlicensed?

I have seen car trailers with a license plate so I know it's possible. But if 99% of the population doesn't bother, then I'm inclined not to bother either. Most uses would be agricultural and up country, where checks for anything being licensed aren't that strict. (Including complete home-built trucks)

Coming from the city and pass the Narawat bridge, go left passing Good View and Riverside. Little bit furtheron on the right side there is a shop they do tow bars and they sell small (blue colored) trailers) and small tracktors) as well, both are parked in front along the road. They will understand what you need.