Closed Ports

wilsongbrown

All of a sudden, I can no longer download from any torrent using my TOT connection. My local computer outfit says 'it's TOT'. This happened before, a few months ago, but then righted itself, but now can't download from any of them. Is anyone else having these problems with TOT? I do know they were the last to unblock Youtube the last time around. Have tried to manually unblock, but no dice.

All of a sudden, I can no longer download from any torrent using my TOT connection. My local computer outfit says 'it's TOT'. This happened before, a few months ago, but then righted itself, but now can't download from any of them. Is anyone else having these problems with TOT? I do know they were the last to unblock Youtube the last time around. Have tried to manually unblock, but no dice.

I am the opposite,been downloading at over 260kbp and i have a 2mb internet from TOT.All of a sudden i am getting the green light for portfowarding and its much faster.Just checked it now and i am getting 5.8kbp so maybe its the weekend and much busier than weekdays.

Change the port you are using from your torrent client, also only accept encrypted connections.

HTH

Could you please elaborate :) ? I've been using uTorrent quite successfully for two years or more (Vuze doesn't work either) Also, what do you mean by 'encrypted connections'? Just for the laymen in our midst. Thankyou.

Change the port you are using from your torrent client, also only accept encrypted connections.

HTH

Could you please elaborate :) ? I've been using uTorrent quite successfully for two years or more (Vuze doesn't work either) Also, what do you mean by 'encrypted connections'? Just for the laymen in our midst. Thankyou.

Both are changed from uTorrent, don't recall the exact place since I don't use it so much.

But in the settings there is a place for the port to use for incoming connections, by default 6881, also on the settings is a place to select that you will only accept encrypted connections. Changing both will make it hard for the ISP's to limit your torrent traffic. Naturally it won't have any effect if the ISP is limiting you total bw usage.

If you do change the port for the incoming connections, remember to make the same change on the modem's port forwarding settings, unless you are using upnp of course.

HTH

Both are changed from uTorrent, don't recall the exact place since I don't use it so much.

But in the settings there is a place for the port to use for incoming connections, by default 6881, also on the settings is a place to select that you will only accept encrypted connections. Changing both will make it hard for the ISP's to limit your torrent traffic. Naturally it won't have any effect if the ISP is limiting you total bw usage.

If you do change the port for the incoming connections, remember to make the same change on the modem's port forwarding settings, unless you are using upnp of course.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, but haven't a clue what you're talking about. :D I have googled 'opening ports manually', a pop appeared saying I wasn't able to. Can't see anything with the number 6881 on it, Do see a strange tick alongside a long list of CAT cdma unistalled connections - don't know what happened there as haven't seen it before, and uninstalled the cdma modum when TOT finally got round to connecting a landline.

Clear as mud to the technoligically challenged I'm afraid. Anyone else?

HTH

Thanks for taking the time to reply, but haven't a clue what you're talking about. :D I have googled 'opening ports manually', a pop appeared saying I wasn't able to. Can't see anything with the number 6881 on it, Do see a strange tick alongside a long list of CAT cdma unistalled connections - don't know what happened there as haven't seen it before, and uninstalled the cdma modum when TOT finally got round to connecting a landline.

Clear as mud to the technoligically challenged I'm afraid. Anyone else?

To configure your uTorrent for optimum performance, this article will tell you all you need to know

http://paperkingdoms.wordpress.com/2006/08...um-performance/

If you have opened ports correctly on your router then you will see a green toick at the bottom of the uTorrent GUI to the left of your download speed. If you do not see that green tick but either a yellow triabgle or a red cirlcle then follow the instructions on this link

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers...routerindex.htm

for your router type.

http://www.utorrent.com/

http://www.utorrent.com/testport?port=xxxxx xxxx = port number

Port setting uTorrent

Setup uTorrent Options - Preferences - connection

See if the port is open. Options - Preferences - Speed Guide.

You can also double click the network icon on the bottom of the window green (tick) OK red X (as it shows)

I have a Belkin Router and I need to set up the Virtual server

Internet explorer your router IP address (info from www.portforward)

Enable tick

Description Utor

Inbound port utorrent port No

Type TCP&UDP

Private IP address Your computer IP

Private port utorrent port No

On the other hand my friend has the same router and uses utorrent and his works fine without doing anything. ?????? He has the premium Maxnet.

Could also be the firewall (whatever you use) only run utorrent and turn off antivirus and see if it works.

I have AVG and I find deleting uTorrent in the applications and letting the firewall relocate uTorrent fixes the port problem if I change it. When it recognises uTorrent it also shows the port that it uses.

Even doing all this it works great sometimes and other times it slows to almost nothing. I am using TT&T indie which has much slower international internet connection checking using the speed checks.

Hope this is of some help.

Edited by newcomer01

I use uTorrent & I ignore the red "!" at the bottom of the page since my upload rate is always at max (if I choose a max upload rate) disregarding the red "!". Also, my download rates seem to only be affected by the "availability" of the torrent & not the red "!" at the bottom of the uTorrent page.

I do not use a router. I use a "D-Link DWL2100AP" as an AP client.

I have carefully done a lot of reading on the uTorrent website & have followed the recommendations.

Ignore any information that you receive about "half open" or "open connections" (Win XP). Unless you are downloading a lot of torrents simultaneously, opening more connections will not help you.

I also DO NOT allow unencrypted or legacy connections.

I use ports above 49500.

I use uTorrent 1.8.3 (now stable).

I've also found that using PG2 prevents the lowering of download speeds greatly. If you are not familiar with PG2, PM me.

The usual problem that most people have is that they set their "torrent program settings" far too high. The program must be correctly setup in accordance with your ISP's "upload" rate. The download rate is insignificant without the upload rate being set correctly.

I also use Spybot, NoScript (Firefox), a firewall & Avira antivirus.

Edited by elkangorito