Abhisit Asks Airport Officials To End Malpractice Problems, Scams

george

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Mark" is much like Bill Clinton. Clinton was very good at introducing popular changes but the statements were purely made for the "feel good" effect. Clinton almost never followed up on his numerous "changes". Clinton's changes disappeared and a new one appeared the following week. It appears this PM is walking the same path. Soon it will be obvious that he is completely ineffective.

No idea where you get this "comparison". Clinton's efforts, especially at healthcare reform, were stifled by obstructionist Republicans, who dragged the country into the doldrums in the name of a holy crusade to rid the Whitehouse of a philanderer. Never mind that leaders of almost every other 'first world' country are renowned (and usually applauded) for their sexual escapades. It seems that the UK and the US are the only ones who are still hypocritical enough to flush their best and brightest down the drain in the name of Puritanism. I'm an American, by the way, so flame on.

Am I the only one that sees that after these things happen time and time again that Thailand just isn't ready to run with the big dogs yet? They are still a second world developing country trying to take matters that are too big into their hands. It screaming out of everything from education to medicine, tourism and politics. None of this surprises me.

A pet peeve of mine is the misuse of the terms First, Second and Third World. It is NOT an ordinal ranking of the relative state of development of the countries of the world. It dates back to the polarization that was present during the Cold War.

Third world countries are those who were supposedly non-aligned, with either the US, or with the Soviet Bloc. First world countries are those who were aligned withe the US and her allies, the major developed countries of the world. Second world countries are (were) those aligned with the old Soviet empire.

The fact that many developing countries are/were Third World countries is a natural consequence of their being non-aligned: they suck hind tit, after the the friends of the major powers got theirs. Therefore, Cuba, for instance, is NOT a Third World country, although it is quite poor by US standards.

Thailand is NOT, and will probably NEVER BE a 'Second World' country, although with current overtures to China, it may achieve similar status. It is, and has been, a developing, Third World country, in the sense that it is a poor country.

From Wikipedia:

"Although the term continues to be used colloquially to describe the poorest countries in the world, this usage is widely disparaged since the term no longer holds any verifiable meaning after the fall of the Soviet Union deprecated the terms First World and Second World. While there is no identical contemporary replacement, common alternatives include developing world and Global South."

Thailand may be 'second rate", but NEVER 'Second World'.

I love the place.

Sateev

If the PM is giving the order to stop scams, then he is at the same time admitting that scams actually exist. So why is he not ordering the arrests of those involved in the scams? Surely they have committed a punishable offence, and they should be brought to 'justice'. I suppose it depends on the colour of their shirts?

I was ask to puy my wallet thur the scanner >I did no problem , But by the wy I had all my money and credit, bank cards in my pocket, no medal. all they could have got was my photos and bussiness cards. I also lock my bags Carry i unlock them for inspection which I watch.

It is hard to be all you can be in ABBI when you have 3 Bosses and each one of them wants to be the Main Huncho to all. So give the want to be a chance. :)

This, too, reminds me of something, and I basically agree with what you say:

I keep hearing that "Obama hasn't delivered on his promises". I hear it from Americans. I hear it a lot from Brits. I even hear if from Filipinos, who want certain veteran's affairs matters resolved to their benefit.

The guy is just one member, albeit the top member, of the Executive Branch of the US Government. He, unlike, certain island leaders, is not a dictator. He is constrained by the system he has chosen to serve, and can not MAKE ANYTHING HAPPEN ALONE. Nor, I believe, did he promise to make anything happen. He promised, I recall, to work hard and tirelessly to bring about changes which sufficiently numerous people thought worthy, such that those people voted him into office.

Much the same for Abhisit. Assume his good intentions. Then visualize the array of powerful vested interests opposing him, or, for that matter, ANY change.

It's a thankless job, thanks to those who expect one man to fix what they have passively let happen to their country.

Apply this to Abhisit, or Obama, Sarkozy, or whomever. Maybe somewhere, some benevolent dictator can claim success at this game in a few short months, but even those guys piss SOMEONE off and end up shark bait.

Abhisit stepped up. So did Obama. What have we as individuals done? Shuffled off to Cowboy, and had another beer.

Jeez.

Sateev

Yes!! But it is unlikely to ever happen (any change) Corruption is built into the Thai psyche. :)

Try living with 5000 Baht in a month or less and support your family back in home at the same time. I'd bet you would be collecting all kinds of "fees" pretty soon if you were a cop here. Of course it is wrong but being hungry makes people do all kinds of things.

The problem is the ridiculous low salaries but if those salaries were any better, you guys would complain why Thailand is so expensive. Then you would complain about corruption in Cambodia. You cannot have it both ways. Corruption is a big problem all the countries in which the salaries are too low.

It is even big problem even in the US where Wall Street has basically bought the whole system and are given hundreds of billions to pay big bonuses to banksters by the US government! So maybe corruption is also built into American psyche too? Or European psyche when dealing with EU support money for various shady projects all around?

You realize that wall street is the stock market and not the banking industry, yes? Wall Street is American capitalism. You are saying that corruptions is part of the U.S. system? Why is it that every time something shows up in the forum one dingleberry has to drag the U.S. into it? Corruption is not tolerated in the U.S. Does it happen? Of course, but once it is found out it is pounced upon and that is the difference. Look at the health care bill they tried to push through before anybody could read it? Even the most leftist reporter realized that this is something that should be done the right way and totally vetted. I love Thailand but until the leaders decide not to take that first bribe it will not change. I hate to say this, being a male chauvanist, but I think we should let the females take over for awhile. In Asia, like most of the middle-east, the real work is done by women. Since they are the backbone of Thailand, let them run with it.

Having been in (and out) of the major airports in Thailand (Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya, Samui, Chiang Mia) I have never had a problem with the stores. I just stay out of all of them. I can buy most stuff cheaper in town than I can in the airports, except for booze. And that is cheaper in California in the US in my local liquor store.

I only ever had one taxi problem in SVN and when he did not turn on the meter I just yelled stop and started to get out. He changed his mind right then and there.

PM asks airport officials to end malpractice problems, scams

BANGKOK: -- Faced by a number of negative reports appearing in international media about malpractice problems and scams taking place at Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi international airport, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on Saturday ordered airport officials to resolve the problems and restore confidence among foreign tourists.

After inspecting airport facilities and talking with airport authorities on problem-areas including duty-free shops, unlicensed taxis, baggage theft and government officials acting as influential figures, Mr. Abhisit said guidelines would be laid out so that transparency and tourist confidence could be restored at the airport.

“Measures must be issued so that thiefs could not carry out their crimes,” Mr Abhisit said. “Duty-free shops must clearly display prices, cashiers counters, and signs specifying where merchandise cannot be removed,” said Mr. Abhisit.

He said airport authorities were told to install more surveillance cameras to help prevent baggage thefts.

An international news report recently said that a number of European tourists – British, Danish and Irish in particular – reported they were falsely accused of shoplifting at Suvarnabhumi international airport and some recounted being taken to seedy motels where they were shaken down for thousands of dollars by a shady middleman.

Poorly-defined boundaries between different businesses sharing the same zone in the airport means that shoppers can unknowingly carry items they intend to purchase from one shop to another, and suggestions from come complainants that such gray-zones are intended to produce apparent shoplifting situations in which tourists can be pressured in scams.

Britain and Denmark are warning tourists on official government websites about such problems at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

The facility opened in 2006 and has been dogged by corruption allegations, taxi touts with ‘broken metres’ and baggage thefts, prompting a recent order for luggage handlers to wear uniforms without pockets.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-08-16

ONCE YOUR OUT OF THE AIRPORT..............................T I T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

( i just feel all warm and fuzzy now )java script:add_smilie(%22:cheesy:%22,%22smid_37%22)

The people of Thailand pride themselves of their ability of "zig-zagging", born from the historical fact that they have never been a colony. The land given away in the attempt to stay free is forgotten.

This pride I fully understand! While dominating countries of the West f :) cked neighbouring countries, Khon Thai still could walk proud.

Getting rid of the scams etc. now going on will be a difficult task: there is big money behind this, an international boycott of King.. might not be out of place. When travelling from Thailand I do my shopping on arrival in home country.

Thai language newspapers and people of Thailand are needed to send the message that this zz is now a major cause of loss of face. Show the people that the country is loosing respect, that tourism is an ailing industry and hopefully they will react. I am blue-eyed, but I actually still believe in this countries people; Their joi de vivre, optimism and pride.

How farangs are tricked into whatever scam is todays favourite is a daily joke and source of enhancing their pride, but turn it around and point to how the whole country is accused of being a cheater and they will straighten up their act. We need Thai community leaders to point this out.

Am I naive? Yes! I know the powers to be gain from this situation every day. I also know the pride of the common Thai, and hopefully they will rise when they realise that their leaders are making a joke of their country.

It is, of course, awful how this airport has been treating foreign tourists who are after all the backbone of the Thai economy and without whom Thailand would more closely resemble Cambodia than the modern country it is today. However, coming from an area of my own country that is very touristy and overtaken by tourists in high season many of whom decide to stay permanently, just like in Thailand, I can sympathise to a certain extent as we here also hate tourists even though they are the backbone of our economy here too.

I here a lot on this forum and others about bribery and corruption, the allegations often being made by Americans. I find this rather strange since a bribe is a pre-service tip, or put another way, a tip is a post-service bribe. In the US, you have to pay this post-service bribe to all and sundry. Americans say this is because the post-service bribe makes up most of the servers' etc salary since they are poorly-paid. They are paid a million times better than Third-World employees. Therefore, no wonder the latter prefer a pre-service tip.

These comments in no way justify the events at Subarnabhumi, but is a case of maybe you should put your own house in order first.

Do you fall down alot as a child?

Yes!! But it is unlikely to ever happen (any change) Corruption is built into the Thai psyche. :)

Try living with 5000 Baht in a month or less and support your family back in home at the same time. I'd bet you would be collecting all kinds of "fees" pretty soon if you were a cop here. Of course it is wrong but being hungry makes people do all kinds of things.

The problem is the ridiculous low salaries but if those salaries were any better, you guys would complain why Thailand is so expensive. Then you would complain about corruption in Cambodia. You cannot have it both ways. Corruption is a big problem all the countries in which the salaries are too low.

It is even big problem even in the US where Wall Street has basically bought the whole system and are given hundreds of billions to pay big bonuses to banksters by the US government! So maybe corruption is also built into American psyche too? Or European psyche when dealing with EU support money for various shady projects all around?

You hit it right on the head. Most farangs live here because most things in life are cheaper than back home. But it doesn't stop them complaining everyday. If you were earning what these people get paid then you would also get on board the gravy train in case your kids get sick. I am not excusing the scams but at ground level accept that it is a side affect of an underlying cause. Considering how low these people are paid (a situation that most farangs take full advantage of) i believe the level of service and honesty is surprisingly high. We can fix all this buy improving education, social health, workers compensation, workers benefits, police salaries, highly paid internal affairs, higher salaries all around, funded by higher taxes and guess what? It will then be too expensive for most farangs to retire here on their paltry by western standard pensions. Add to that the fact that once all the girls here have real education, degrees, good paying jobs or a Thai husband with same, they won't have to feign affections or sexual attraction with old fat desperate farang drunks. But then i guess there is always the Philippines. But wait a minute what was the reason you all preferred Thailand? Someone mentioned Singapore. Why are so many SG expats moving to Thailand? Some one mentioned Kingpower Exclusive right. Sounds like Halliburton's exclusive right to Iraq.

What does halliburton and iraq have to do with Thailand. Are you so hateful of anything U.S. or any company that is successful that you spew idiotic statement? Halliburton was a legally awarded contract. Having worked over here three times, I am not a big fan of them but they are the ONLY ONE with the logistical operation to pull off what they do here. By the way, Haliiburton lost its contract in Afghanistan and it is being split up by Dyncorp and Flour so does your stament still apply. Yes, yes you have capitalsstic industrial societies....now why don't you fix thailand.

So, who does the PM find in Thailand to clean up the problem? Corruption runs from bottom to top. They're all bent, it is a way of life. There is no real police force in Thailand. In any western country the Thai police would be "organized crime". So, someone please tell me how you fix the problem? It will take a revolution. Then, Thailand can get out of its gutter corrupt way of life and get sophisticated corruption, like in Britain & the US. Oh, it's everywhere, it's just that in the west it doesn't touch you and me, at least not directly (usually). Thailand is Thailand. It ain't gonna change. Yes, it's a shame for the poor old tourist who gets caught out, but often I have little sympathy for them because 50% of the blame lies with them. Fight the battles you can win. This is one battle you'll never win.

(Try living with 5000 Baht in a month or less and support your family back in home at the same time. I'd bet you would be collecting all kinds of "fees" pretty soon if you were a cop here. Of course it is wrong but being hungry makes people do all kinds of things.)

There are many people in Thailand making less than 5000 baat per month. They will go out of their way to help you and then will politely refuse any payment.

Poverty is a terrible and totally unnecessary thing. But, it doesn't excuse criminal acts.

And, by the way, try living on $1000 per month in the USA as I am doing.

Reading this you would think every tourist who came to Thailand had been scammed or cheated. Of the millions of tourist who visit Thailand each year how many get scammed, what is the actual number 20%, 30%, 5%, or less than 1%.

In a perfect world no one would get scammed but I donot think that is an option.

and government officials acting as influential figures

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-08-16

Until such times when the defamation laws might be repealed the problem of endemic corruption will never be properly addressed and the myriad scams, highlighted by the practices at the airport, will persist.

Of course, we all know that that will never happen since those laws are there solely to protect the Establishment in its systematic exploitation of the population. In any free democratic state operating under a rule of law there are occasions when the system fails which is when a free press steps in and turns over the rock to expose unwelcome abuses and crimes the Establishment would prefer to remain undiscovered.

But true investigative journalism cannot prevail in Thailand which is why we have the nonsense of government officials being described euphemistically when in truth they are nothing more than corrupt thieves abusing positions of trust in order to line their own pockets. Their power of course is derived not from an authority bestowing a benefit based upon merit but from a system itself so corrupted by cronyism, noblesse oblige and nepotism that it can only maintain itself by perpetuating a culture of corruption upon which it has been based since feudal times. Thus they are immune from State prosecution and, because of a gagged press, unwanted public opprobrium is also ensured.

Thailand is a still a medieval state and as such one's interests are inevitably dependent upon the whim of whichever particular baron or lord owns one's ricebowl.

Oh for goodness sake, which bit of this did most of you not understand?

I was ask to puy my wallet thur the scanner >I did no problem , But by the wy I had all my money and credit, bank cards in my pocket, no medal. all they could have got was my photos and bussiness cards. I also lock my bags Carry i unlock them for inspection which I watch.

My wallet once went trough the scanner with more than a few thousand euro cash :) ! Nothing happened luckily :D

Reading this you would think every tourist who came to Thailand had been scammed or cheated. Of the millions of tourist who visit Thailand each year how many get scammed, what is the actual number 20%, 30%, 5%, or less than 1%.

In a perfect world no one would get scammed but I donot think that is an option.

With the dubbel pricing, I would say 95% of farang is ripped of.

I agree. It's about time. All the measures should have been implemented from the time it opened.

:)

better late then never.

i passesd through survanha scam airport, two weeks ago,

on my way to london .

they wanted allthe usual ,for the scannner .

PLUS MY WALLETS.

i obviously objected to this ,

and was told no put wallet in tray ,

i would not be allowed to check in .

i obliged ,VERY RELUCTANTLY ,

pissed off , farang .{big time }

Before reaching security.

Empty pockets.

Remove banknotes and bank cards from wallet.

Banknotes and bank cards go in front trousers pocket.

Keys and coins and nearly empty wallet (just some name cards) go in an inside compartment of bag.

Belt off.

Belt in bag.

Jacket (if wearing one) off.

Shoes (if thick soled) off.

Approach security.

Go through quickly.

Be aware of bag (in scanner) and notes (in pocket) at all times.

Metal detector alarm sounds as it is set to sound every time at Suwannaphum. This gives more time to the thieves.

Submit to body frisk.

Think "notes, notes, bag, notes, notes, bag" all the time.

Twist round to view bag in scanner if necessary.

Collect bag.

Check all is still in it before leaving area.

Put belt, notes, bank cards, shoes, wallet, keys & coins back where they were.

Hope this helps.

It is hard to be all you can be in ABBI when you have 3 Bosses and each one of them wants to be the Main Huncho to all. So give the want to be a chance. :)

This, too, reminds me of something, and I basically agree with what you say:

I keep hearing that "Obama hasn't delivered on his promises". I hear it from Americans. I hear it a lot from Brits. I even hear if from Filipinos, who want certain veteran's affairs matters resolved to their benefit.

The guy is just one member, albeit the top member, of the Executive Branch of the US Government. He, unlike, certain island leaders, is not a dictator. He is constrained by the system he has chosen to serve, and can not MAKE ANYTHING HAPPEN ALONE. Nor, I believe, did he promise to make anything happen. He promised, I recall, to work hard and tirelessly to bring about changes which sufficiently numerous people thought worthy, such that those people voted him into office.

Much the same for Abhisit. Assume his good intentions. Then visualize the array of powerful vested interests opposing him, or, for that matter, ANY change.

It's a thankless job, thanks to those who expect one man to fix what they have passively let happen to their country.

Apply this to Abhisit, or Obama, Sarkozy, or whomever. Maybe somewhere, some benevolent dictator can claim success at this game in a few short months, but even those guys piss SOMEONE off and end up shark bait.

Abhisit stepped up. So did Obama. What have we as individuals done? Shuffled off to Cowboy, and had another beer.

Jeez.

Sateev

I agree a lot of unneccessary Thai bashing here by the glass half empty crowd. I do think they should arrest the scammers though. Easy solution.

How about applying the same standard to the rest of the government and country???

Stop the scams...ripoffs.... payoffs... etc.... Or at least, give foreigners living or visiting in the country an official place to turn (English speaking) to help mediate such problems when they arise... The Tourist Police clearly don't function in that role...even though they should....

PS - It's easy to issue directives and regulations in Thailand... It's far less easy to see that the rules are actually enforced so that things really change... like mandatory motorcycle helmets.... no smoking in indoor aircon bars... etc etc...

Thank you. What can LOS (lack of sanctions) expect when there are few if any consequences for illegal activities? When said consequence would indicate wrong doing, the “pool person’s” face (appearance rather than reality) and denial allows for all to go about their merry way and PRETEND nothing happened.

If there is no punishment then there is no crime. Funny thing: Buddhism speaks loudly of cause and effect, but is this a Buddhist country without action? Where are the action and consequences?

Yes!!

But it is unlikely to ever happen (any change) Corruption is built into the Thai psyche. :)

Regarding the shoplifting scams, King Power should never in a million years been given the exclusive rights to have duty free shops at all international airports in Thailand particularly 100% at Suvarnabhumi.

Visit Changi and you will see perhaps 100 - 150 different outlets including at least one King Power.

On the taxis, again they should send a study team to Changi and they will see in one or two hours just how efficient (and honest) the sytems runs there.

If you enter Suvarnabhumi (through immigration) and just walking to the domestic check in counters you are hit dozens of times "with do you want hotel, do you want taxi" etc.

The place (Suvarnabhumi) sickens me to the core and I will if at all possible avoid the place by flying direct in & out of Phuket or Chiang Mai. There are still rip offs to dodge but (Phuket & Chiang Mai) are a thousand times better than Suvarnabhumi.

Isn't King Power owned by Toxic's "X wife"? And didn't Toxic initiate "the new airport" and how it would be operated?

Hello, this is a good new policy for the government. It should make people feel good as it is what they want to hear, but we will see how far they will take it. The scams are so old that people with experience take it as a fact of life, and most people do not take this news about another crackdown as serious.

Poorly-defined boundaries between different businesses sharing the same zone in the airport means that shoppers can unknowingly carry items they intend to purchase from one shop to another, and suggestions from come complainants that such gray-zones are intended to produce apparent shoplifting situations in which tourists can be pressured in scams.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-08-16

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't King Power the sole franchisee?.........and why is that, exactly?

About time but maybe too little and too late. What about transferreing the local police chief to Nakorn Nowhere and arresting the Sri Lankan dirt bag, who claimed to be called Tony, who acted as the police go betweenin the King Power scams? He is bound to be guilty of work permit and visa offences as well as failing to pay income tax on his share of the extortion proceeds.

I fear that Abhisit is seen as such a weakling by all the crooks that their scams will be up and running again in two weeks.

Nooooo, we do not want him either, thanks :)

If good things come about from the pressure by different nationalities and also belatedly from Abhisit and it means one not guilty person is saved from these shake downs then it has to be a step in the right direction.