Abhisit Asks Airport Officials To End Malpractice Problems, Scams

george

How about applying the same standard to the rest of the government and country???

Stop the scams...ripoffs.... payoffs... etc.... Or at least, give foreigners living or visiting in the country an official place to turn (English speaking) to help mediate such problems when they arise... The Tourist Police clearly don't function in that role...even though they should....

PS - It's easy to issue directives and regulations in Thailand... It's far less easy to see that the rules are actually enforced so that things really change... like mandatory motorcycle helmets.... no smoking in indoor aircon bars... etc etc...

Are the issues of smoking and not wearing a helmet while riding a motorcyle really such serious issues?! Unbelievable.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THANKS to Khun Abhisit,

hopefully he will find the time and taking care of the Phuket (internationLOL) airport too.

Are there any more countries in this world, where one HAVE TO USE Mafiameters instead of a "normal" public transport system??

You hit it right on the head. Most farangs live here because most things in life are cheaper than back home. But it doesn't stop them complaining everyday. If you were earning what these people get paid then you would also get on board the gravy train in case your kids get sick. I am not excusing the scams but at ground level accept that it is a side affect of an underlying cause. Considering how low these people are paid (a situation that most farangs take full advantage of) i believe the level of service and honesty is surprisingly high. We can fix all this buy improving education, social health, workers compensation, workers benefits, police salaries, highly paid internal affairs, higher salaries all around, funded by higher taxes and guess what? It will then be too expensive for most farangs to retire here on their paltry by western standard pensions. Add to that the fact that once all the girls here have real education, degrees, good paying jobs or a Thai husband with same, they won't have to feign affections or sexual attraction with old fat desperate farang drunks. But then i guess there is always the Philippines. But wait a minute what was the reason you all preferred Thailand? Someone mentioned Singapore. Why are so many SG expats moving to Thailand? Some one mentioned Kingpower Exclusive right. Sounds like Halliburton's exclusive right to Iraq.

So if something is cheaper you should say nothing? In any case Thailand is not so cheap. Having just been back to the UK food and beer are about the same as Thailand generally except cheese wine and other farang delicacies whcih are about 1/3rd the price. A beach chair is about 80 baht a day not 200 as in Phuket for instance. The police do not take bribes and there is a rule of law. Thailand is a wonderful country in many ways but thre is plenty that needs improvement and nothing will happen if people do not stand up and say what they feel is acceptable or not. I want Thailand to be a better place for my children than it is now and if I have to complain to achieve that then so be it. If no one says or does anything nothing would ever get better but perhaps your sentiments which I am sure are shared by others, indicate that you are just a sheep who will follow whatever is the status quo. You should also realise there are many expats who live here with families and who are not particularly rich. It is easy to generalise though not particularly helpful.

it will not help

just took a flight out of the airport and now they are introducing more rules

you need to take off your watch (be carefull where you put it and make sure it comes out at the other side)

you need to take out your belt (what the f???)

you cannot take out your shoes (strange as that is the norm in the US)

the staff is very unfriendly and if you comment on the stupidity of the new rule they are threating you for harassment ...

this is definitely not the LOS I remember when I first arrived 6 years ago

----

concerning the scams : as long as they allow those loose boundaries of the shops (no markings on the ground), the scams will continue

start with the basics and start marking the shops and allow space between them as a DMZ

my 2 cents

I do not agree with the staff is very unfriendly but friendliness is not the issue. The issues is introducing some ethics and integrity here in the realm.

ethics and integrity you won't find in a Thai dictionary :)

What about transferreing the local police chief to Nakorn Nowhere and arresting the Sri Lankan dirt bag, who claimed to be called Tony, who acted as the police go betweenin the King Power scams? He is bound to be guilty of work permit and visa offences as well as failing to pay income tax on his share of the extortion proceeds.

Agree.

Words from leaders are meaningless in SE Asia - no-one believes them. Only actions will demonstrate that this is anything more than piss & wind.

When the Sri Lankan dirtbag is in jail, & King Power has been shut down & its management tried, convicted & jailed, I will believe that the PM is serious about cleaning up the airport.

Until then international travellers would be wise to continue to route themselves around SVP.

"Words from leaders are meaningless in SE Asia" I do not totally agree. Try screwing with the system in Singapore and see where it gets you.

If you say Thailand (and one ore two other countries) I agree with you 100%

Edited by john b good

Am I the only one that sees that after these things happen time and time again that Thailand just isn't ready to run with the big dogs yet? They are still a second world developing country trying to take matters that are too big into their hands. It screaming out of everything from education to medicine, tourism and politics. None of this surprises me.

"2nd world" you gotta be kidding. They haven't got to 3rd world yet.

There are no easy solutions for this. If they start prosecuting, most likely the people in lower ranks will be put to jail. That will make Thai people more angry and desperate because more and more families will lose their only source of income. That income supports whole families from kids to grandfathers back in the north or south.

Thanks tim73

Until today I didn't know what makes Thailand tick

Wall Street and London have something to do with it

Farang Upper Class making B50-100k are implicated to the core

Is that all Farangs make nowadays?

Doesn't seem worth their trouble.

Do they live here or abroad?

How widely based is this phenomenon?

I think we see the root of the problem plain as day,

If farang upper class international bankers

would get off their overworked wallet laden pockets

to support someone else's family in the north and south,

then Thailand Airport officials would not corrupt themselves.

Maybe there's a future in prominent politics for you.

Or could there be a more obvious explanation right on the surface?

The whole point at Suvarnabhumi was that officials,

in cahoots with shop clerks

were busting completely innocent travelers

Specific Order of Events

set up by the clerks,

arrested by the officials

whisked off to shady locations for bribe extraction

shaken down by scum middlemen trying to help

off to jail

more fines

Embassy intervention

more fines

thrown out of the country as a criminal

All in a day's travel expanded to a week of Bangkok hel_l...whew!

It's not difficult to identify, prosecute and imprison the guilty parties.

Whose pocket did the Bribe come to rest in?

Who was present when the traveler handed over the cash?

Call the criminal travelers back to testify...

they'd probably drop it all and fly back for another round.

How would that unjustly prosecute a person of low income?

Does his home village have a bearing?

Shall only middle class or well to do Bangkok thieves be culpable?

Shall we pay no attention to low income thieves?

But keep writing, continue thinking...the world is watching.

Last I looked, 768 logged in to this forum, 555 guests, 2 anonymous

You are noticed, You are a spokesman for the nation.

I'm an outsider here for a time, purpose and season.

One day I will completely leave you alone without a word.

Corruption is endemic in Thailand, everyone knows that. The thing that amuses me is how one corrupt official thinks he can order another corrupt official to stop scamming. How would it work. Maybe it would start with one official pointing his finger at another one and the accuser claiming he is less corrupt than the accused.

Baggage handlers; what baggage handlers? I have been in and out of both airports many times in the past two years and have never even seen a baggage handler offer their services. Tote your own luggage; the carts are free and NOBODy checks ANYBODY'S baggage claim ticket anyway so the thief could just as esily be a Farang. all you gotta do is watch the bags go around and if it is not picked up the second time around chances are you could take it out without being challenged.

the theft most likely occurs when unloading the plane and the luggage is picked over and diverted to another location known by the thieves and airport officials who are getting their tea money for turning a blind eye.

The issue is with baggage handlers inside the secure areas of the airport between the time you hand over you checked luggage and the time you get it back from the carousel.

Personally, I've found immigration officials to be unfriendly people in general, no matter where you go in the world. I don't think its more so in Thailand, just a bit more obvious because the Thai people you meet while in the country generally seem friendly.

What does a privatized US prison system have to do with an airport scam (or any othe scam) in Bangkok. Yes, you will find corruption in every country but some take it seriously and some do not. Thailand does not because it its built into the very fabric of the system. Scams are constantly being uncovered and reported about in the west. And the perpatrators usually end up in prison. In Thailand, you only hear about the ones that involve whoever is out of power at the moment. No one is willing to risk crossing the scamsters because its your arse on the line. And as one earlier poster mentioned, even when the person is caught, they aren't really punished.

I'm not even sure why you would bring up the notion that whole towns are built around a prison. That's because it is a source for jobs. The same is true everywhere in the world. If there are jobs somewhere and you need one, you go there. Just like Seattle was built around Boeing and Detroit was built around the auto industry. I'm not even sure what your connection is there.

As for living cheap in Thailand, so what? So someone can come to Thailand and live better off their pension than they did in their home country. What's the point? Those people don't count? They are still bringing their income to Thailand and spending it in the country creating more jobs. Why is this a crime. And if they are living in this way, why aren't they entitled to an opinion. Aren't they residents here also? Why is it that you can give an opinion or point out a problem in the system ONLY if your Thai.

While he's at it he should require the sourpuss immigration staff to go through some retraining on customer service. For the "land of smiles" having your first and last impression being these disgruntled Thais at immigration isn't helping tourism. In general the Thai immigration staff I've encounter at BKK are the rudest and most unhappy people I've encountered in any country--- and compared to many other Thais they make a pretty good salary.. Perhaps they can install one of those "how am I doing" systems like they did in Beijing … because I was very impressed by the wonderful immigration staff in China.

You are right, first time I came here in 2003 it was all smiles and Airport staff was extremely helpful to

to recover my lost luggage. All one had to do look around and someone would come and : can I help you?

Settled here in 2004 and have the greatest wife and Thai family and with a couple great policemen included.

Have witnessed the decline every year at BKK. My last experience was like a bad nightmare 2 month ago

coming back from Macau. Posted it here and was warned because of my strong language. My experience at

Macau, Hanoi, Penang, Hong Kong and Jakarta with Immigration was very pleasant, dreaded to come back to

BKK each time. My daughter from the US planning to come here in January, really do not want her to

go thru the hassle I did. Should tell her to stay there.

However I live in Chiang Rai my Immigration officers in Mae Sai are as courteous and helpful as can be.

Great thread isn't this, got everything, corrupt police, tourist victims, overzealous retailers, sri lankan fixer, prime minister trying to step in, tourism industry crisis, wow, they should make a hollywood movie, "Carry On At The Airport" ! What a huge cock up !

PM asks airport officials to end malpractice problems, scams

and government officials acting as influential figures

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-08-16

Until such times when the defamation laws might be repealed the problem of endemic corruption will never be properly addressed and the myriad scams, highlighted by the practices at the airport, will persist.

Of course, we all know that that will never happen since those laws are there solely to protect the Establishment in its systematic exploitation of the population. In any free democratic state operating under a rule of law there are occasions when the system fails which is when a free press steps in and turns over the rock to expose unwelcome abuses and crimes the Establishment would prefer to remain undiscovered.

But true investigative journalism cannot prevail in Thailand which is why we have the nonsense of government officials being described euphemistically when in truth they are nothing more than corrupt thieves abusing positions of trust in order to line their own pockets. Their power of course is derived not from an authority bestowing a benefit based upon merit but from a system itself so corrupted by cronyism, noblesse oblige and nepotism that it can only maintain itself by perpetuating a culture of corruption upon which it has been based since feudal times. Thus they are immune from State prosecution and, because of a gagged press, unwanted public opprobrium is also ensured.

Thailand is a still a medieval state and as such one's interests are inevitably dependent upon the whim of whichever particular baron or lord owns one's ricebowl.

Edited by Electra

Great thread isn't this, got everything, corrupt police, tourist victims, overzealous retailers, sri lankan fixer, prime minister trying to step in, tourism industry crisis, wow, they should make a hollywood movie, "Carry On At The Airport" ! What a huge cock up !

alternate title of said cinematographic epic: "Rip-off b4 Take-Off" ? who would lead? Jackman aka WolverinePuss, maybe?

Female lead? Villain(s)? Budget :) ..... endless fun.....

rgdz,

Brewsta

BANGKOK: -- Faced by a number of negative reports appearing in international media about malpractice problems and scams taking place at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi international airport, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on Saturday ordered airport officials to resolve the problems and restore confidence among foreign tourists.

After inspecting airport facilities and talking with airport authorities on problem-areas including duty-free shops, unlicensed taxis, baggage theft and government officials acting as influential figures, Mr. Abhisit said guidelines would be laid out so that transparency and tourist confidence could be restored at the airport.

"Measures must be issued so that thiefs could not carry out their crimes," Mr Abhisit said. "Duty-free shops must clearly display prices, cashiers counters, and signs specifying where merchandise cannot be removed," said Mr. Abhisit.

He said airport authorities were told to install more surveillance cameras to help prevent baggage thefts.

An international news report recently said that a number of European tourists – British, Danish and Irish in particular – reported they were falsely accused of shoplifting at Suvarnabhumi international airport and some recounted being taken to seedy motels where they were shaken down for thousands of dollars by a shady middleman.

Poorly-defined boundaries between different businesses sharing the same zone in the airport means that shoppers can unknowingly carry items they intend to purchase from one shop to another, and suggestions from come complainants that such gray-zones are intended to produce apparent shoplifting situations in which tourists can be pressured in scams.

Britain and Denmark are warning tourists on official government websites about such problems at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

The facility opened in 2006 and has been dogged by corruption allegations, taxi touts with 'broken metres' and baggage thefts, prompting a recent order for luggage handlers to wear uniforms without pockets.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-08-16

I know I am being naive but shouldn't these officials committing criminal acts be prosecuted, It's just a thought :)

BANGKOK: -- Faced by a number of negative reports appearing in international media about malpractice problems and scams taking place at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi international airport, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on Saturday ordered airport officials to resolve the problems and restore confidence among foreign tourists.

After inspecting airport facilities and talking with airport authorities on problem-areas including duty-free shops, unlicensed taxis, baggage theft and government officials acting as influential figures, Mr. Abhisit said guidelines would be laid out so that transparency and tourist confidence could be restored at the airport.

"Measures must be issued so that thiefs could not carry out their crimes," Mr Abhisit said. "Duty-free shops must clearly display prices, cashiers counters, and signs specifying where merchandise cannot be removed," said Mr. Abhisit.

He said airport authorities were told to install more surveillance cameras to help prevent baggage thefts.

An international news report recently said that a number of European tourists – British, Danish and Irish in particular – reported they were falsely accused of shoplifting at Suvarnabhumi international airport and some recounted being taken to seedy motels where they were shaken down for thousands of dollars by a shady middleman.

Poorly-defined boundaries between different businesses sharing the same zone in the airport means that shoppers can unknowingly carry items they intend to purchase from one shop to another, and suggestions from come complainants that such gray-zones are intended to produce apparent shoplifting situations in which tourists can be pressured in scams.

Britain and Denmark are warning tourists on official government websites about such problems at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

The facility opened in 2006 and has been dogged by corruption allegations, taxi touts with 'broken metres' and baggage thefts, prompting a recent order for luggage handlers to wear uniforms without pockets.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-08-16

I know I am being naive but shouldn't these officials committing criminal acts be prosecuted, It's just a thought :)

Sadly, in my 10 years of observing these perpetual "smoke-operas" here in LOS, any vague concept of justice will gently and smoothly fade away for the next drama to emerge.

Repeat, etc.

LOS - love it or leave it :D)

rgdz,

Brewsta

Edited by Brewsta

You hit it right on the head. Most farangs live here because most things in life are cheaper than back home. But it doesn't stop them complaining everyday. If you were earning what these people get paid then you would also get on board the gravy train in case your kids get sick. I am not excusing the scams but at ground level accept that it is a side affect of an underlying cause. Considering how low these people are paid (a situation that most farangs take full advantage of) i believe the level of service and honesty is surprisingly high. We can fix all this buy improving education, social health, workers compensation, workers benefits, police salaries, highly paid internal affairs, higher salaries all around, funded by higher taxes and guess what? It will then be too expensive for most farangs to retire here on their paltry by western standard pensions. Add to that the fact that once all the girls here have real education, degrees, good paying jobs or a Thai husband with same, they won't have to feign affections or sexual attraction with old fat desperate farang drunks. But then i guess there is always the Philippines. But wait a minute what was the reason you all preferred Thailand? Someone mentioned Singapore. Why are so many SG expats moving to Thailand? Some one mentioned Kingpower Exclusive right. Sounds like Halliburton's exclusive right to Iraq.

So if something is cheaper you should say nothing? In any case Thailand is not so cheap. Having just been back to the UK food and beer are about the same as Thailand generally except cheese wine and other farang delicacies whcih are about 1/3rd the price. A beach chair is about 80 baht a day not 200 as in Phuket for instance. The police do not take bribes and there is a rule of law. Thailand is a wonderful country in many ways but thre is plenty that needs improvement and nothing will happen if people do not stand up and say what they feel is acceptable or not. I want Thailand to be a better place for my children than it is now and if I have to complain to achieve that then so be it. If no one says or does anything nothing would ever get better but perhaps your sentiments which I am sure are shared by others, indicate that you are just a sheep who will follow whatever is the status quo. You should also realise there are many expats who live here with families and who are not particularly rich. It is easy to generalise though not particularly helpful.

UK is same price as Thailand? Prices must have plummeted since i was there five weeks ago. Can't remember a beach in UK that i would pay 1 baht to sit on. Never paid more than 40 baht here for a beach chair. I guess you are still buying your beer in expat bars and tourist traps. My point is when things are so much cheaper accept the consequences of why they are cheaper. What is the average Bobbie's salary? And believe me a lot of them are still on the take. What do you call taking "stress" leave/early retirement on 40k for the rest of your life? UK does not need improvement? You been away too long.

Agree with you. A lot of ex-pats live here because they are too poor to live same quality of life in their own countries. The best part is most of them (maybe not you) are here on illegal back to back "tourist" visas for six years or more because they can't afford the paltry amount of deposit or income for the real deal. And how are these visas obtained? By Thais turning a blind eye and "good old Thai corruption" because they need the extra cash.

The sheep are the farang "tourists" who come here and want to stay here forever and know they have no real legal status to make any formal complaint so they vent anonymously on this Thailand bashing forum. And despite all the Thailand bashing they are still migrating here in droves every year and no farang on this forum even looks like leaving Thailand (except to fly home for free health care treatment). Oh and by the way when the Thais decided to stand up (un-sheeplike) and say something the posters on this forum had a real good Thai bashing frenzy (red/yellow shirts). A lot of farangs actually believe they are a better people than the Thais. You only have to read this forum for five minutes a year to see that. One may selfishly want Thailand to be a better place for their children but most Thais want to see a better Thailand for all Thais not just your children. If one wants a better education for their children then send them to the free schools and universities in UK as they would qualify under your parentage or is it "too" expensive?

Remember the "sheeplike" Mai Pen Rai attitude is what brought most expats here in the first place. Otherwise they would be gunning you down in fits of LA Style/road rage in a sukhumvit rush hour. What ever happened to "This is Thailand" and smiling about it?. Yes i will generalise here as i avoid personalising in forums. The last time i caught a taxi in Sydney i was surprised to see a perspex bulletproof cage around the driver. Does that sum it up?

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-08-16

Sadly, in my 10 years of observing these perpetual "smoke-operas" here in LOS, any vague concept of justice will gently and smoothly fade away for the next drama to emerge.

Repeat, etc.

LOS - love it or leave it :D)

my sentiments exactly brewsta! If you don't like it there's the door and watch out for the duty free shops on the way out.

rgdz,

Brewsta

How about applying the same standard to the rest of the government and country???

Stop the scams...ripoffs.... payoffs... etc.... Or at least, give foreigners living or visiting in the country an official place to turn (English speaking) to help mediate such problems when they arise... The Tourist Police clearly don't function in that role...even though they should....

PS - It's easy to issue directives and regulations in Thailand... It's far less easy to see that the rules are actually enforced so that things really change... like mandatory motorcycle helmets.... no smoking in indoor aircon bars... etc etc...

I AGREE 100% Well Said :)

Just heard the story about the Frenchman who after passing through customs with 3 other friends, then got arrested for evading duties on cigaretters. Apparently each friend brought in 1 carton (the allowed amount) of cigaretters each. After passing through customs, still inside the airport, they left their luggage etc temporarily with their friend including the cartons of cigarettes, to go off and do other things in the airport, bank, toilet, etc. He then got arrested by customs officials for having 4 cartons of cigarettes on him. The cops confiscated the cigarettes and fined him Baht 22,000. Not a scam, but a sort of a funny story, except that the Frenchman argued with the cops and apparently got roughed up by them. Wow, amazing Thailand, he he. Be careful in the airport !

I AGREE 100% Well Said :)

Agree too. So how you suggest we stop it?

what have we got to complain about, we want to live there, we want to visit thailand.

we were not invited or requested.

we know the situation with scams, ripsffs, payoffs etc and it is the thai way and on occassion it can be a wiw win.

so noting this, why dont we create our own mediation point in BKK. from my understanding that is the location of many of the farang and it is central to us in the south and the others in the north.

Personally I love the way this country works, it suits me just perfect, however I am from the thasala area which is perfect as there are no tourist or other farang.

we make out visit to their country as good as we want it to be.

but it would be great if we could become permanent residents.

back to the original thread, I transited BKK airport on return to sydney early this week and I could not see any issues at the airport shops, all are very clearly marked, prices displayed and easy to see, and fewer than normal security.

:)

I AGREE 100% Well Said :D

j1) ust took a flight out of the airport and now they are introducing more rules

1) Unless you have flown out only once in six years I don't see what is new. It has been compulsory for years as it has been in many other countries (at least where I have been to)

2) you need to take off your watch (be carefull where you put it and make sure it comes out at the other side)

2) Oh yes; look at the machine's side in case they have made a hole in it to introduce their hands in order to retrieve (obtain?) your properties

3) you need to take out your belt (what the f???)

3) Same comment as 1)

4) you cannot take out your shoes (strange as that is the norm in the US)

4) You mean one is not asked to; As a matter of fact feel free to take off your shoes

5)the staff is very unfriendly and if you comment on the stupidity of the new rule they are threating you for harassment ...

5) Well depends on who you are talking to; but the kind of comments you are posting does't incline me to think that that you are very cool either

6) this is definitely not the LOS I remember when I first arrived 6 years ago

6) How about seventeen +

----

7)concerning the scams : as long as they allow those loose boundaries of the shops (no markings on the ground), the scams will continue

start with the basics and start marking the shops and allow space between them as a DMZ

my 2 cents

7) Yes it makes sense

8) I do not mean to be rude but it seems too me that your travelling experience is limited

UK is same price as Thailand? Prices must have plummeted since i was there five weeks ago. Can't remember a beach in UK that i would pay 1 baht to sit on. Never paid more than 40 baht here for a beach chair. I guess you are still buying your beer in expat bars and tourist traps. My point is when things are so much cheaper accept the consequences of why they are cheaper. What is the average Bobbie's salary? And believe me a lot of them are still on the take. What do you call taking "stress" leave/early retirement on 40k for the rest of your life? UK does not need improvement? You been away too long.

Agree with you. A lot of ex-pats live here because they are too poor to live same quality of life in their own countries. The best part is most of them (maybe not you) are here on illegal back to back "tourist" visas for six years or more because they can't afford the paltry amount of deposit or income for the real deal. And how are these visas obtained? By Thais turning a blind eye and "good old Thai corruption" because they need the extra cash.

The sheep are the farang "tourists" who come here and want to stay here forever and know they have no real legal status to make any formal complaint so they vent anonymously on this Thailand bashing forum. And despite all the Thailand bashing they are still migrating here in droves every year and no farang on this forum even looks like leaving Thailand (except to fly home for free health care treatment). Oh and by the way when the Thais decided to stand up (un-sheeplike) and say something the posters on this forum had a real good Thai bashing frenzy (red/yellow shirts). A lot of farangs actually believe they are a better people than the Thais. You only have to read this forum for five minutes a year to see that. One may selfishly want Thailand to be a better place for their children but most Thais want to see a better Thailand for all Thais not just your children. If one wants a better education for their children then send them to the free schools and universities in UK as they would qualify under your parentage or is it "too" expensive?

Remember the "sheeplike" Mai Pen Rai attitude is what brought most expats here in the first place. Otherwise they would be gunning you down in fits of LA Style/road rage in a sukhumvit rush hour. What ever happened to "This is Thailand" and smiling about it?. Yes i will generalise here as i avoid personalising in forums. The last time i caught a taxi in Sydney i was surprised to see a perspex bulletproof cage around the driver. Does that sum it up?

One of the reasons the foreigners live here on illegal back-to-back tourist visa (of which I am not one) is because the system requires this. Even in the visa system corruption is built in. You can stay here as long as you like if you pay the right agent/broker. I agree that many are coming to retire here because of the ability to stretch their pound, dollar, euro or whatever. I don't see the problem with that. They are spending money in Thailand even if it is a 'paultry' amount as you say. Money is not be repatriated to their home country. In fact, you could say that it is being repatriated to this country from foreigners. That doesn't give them special priviledges but it should at least give them the right to say something if they think it is wrong.

As for wanting to see Thailand become better for their children, maybe you don't understand the meaning behind that saying. What it means is that the person wants to see the country improve for the next generation, INCLUDING all Thais.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-08-16

Repeat, etc.

LOS - love it or leave it :D )

my sentiments exactly brewsta! If you don't like it there's the door and watch out for the duty free shops on the way out.

rgdz,

Brewsta

'Jai yen yen', Asean......

I hope my next few decades here in Thailand DO show improvements for all khon Thai, BUT Reality(?) outside LOS does struggle to remain and root here for long - part of the charm, but can also be bliddy irritating..... 2 sides of he same coin, I guess?

rgdz and enjoy,

Brewsta

Yes!! But it is unlikely to ever happen (any change) Corruption is built into the Thai psyche. :)

Try living with 5000 Baht in a month or less and support your family back in home at the same time. I'd bet you would be collecting all kinds of "fees" pretty soon if you were a cop here. Of course it is wrong but being hungry makes people do all kinds of things.

The problem is the ridiculous low salaries but if those salaries were any better, you guys would complain why Thailand is so expensive. Then you would complain about corruption in Cambodia. You cannot have it both ways. Corruption is a big problem all the countries in which the salaries are too low.

It is even big problem even in the US where Wall Street has basically bought the whole system and are given hundreds of billions to pay big bonuses to banksters by the US government! So maybe corruption is also built into American psyche too? Or European psyche when dealing with EU support money for various shady projects all around?

This is pretty stupid excuse to be immoral and criminal

Unfortunately it's true. I've seen it happen many times. In business and personal lives. When you are broke and/or starving you will break those moral rules.