Police Stopping All Foreigners On Motorbikes

eljeque

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been driving a Car in Pattaya for 8 years, and I do not have a Thai Licence or an International licence...

I do however have my Full UK Licence and hope if I am ever stopped should be adequate...

You may get away with that for a while with the police check's but if you have a accident then you are not covered by the Thai insurance & the police will look more closely at your License.

Its not that difficult to get a Thai driving License so Why take the chance it may cost you dearly.

Regards

Scotsman

I have been driving a Car in Pattaya for 8 years, and I do not have a Thai Licence or an International licence...

I do however have my Full UK Licence and hope if I am ever stopped should be adequate...

Pattaya Girl,

Your UK lisence is not good in Thailand. Heed the advice of others and get a Thai lisence if you live in Thailand.

Barry

No. You need your home license along with an international drivers permit. Americans get them at the AAA...

http://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html

International drivers permits are a waste of money. It's nothing more than a money making scheme.

They might be, however most if not all insurance can use the not having an IDP as a reason for not paying.

As with above posters, for smaller claims they might not be bothered to kick up a fuss, but bring in a 1 million Baht+ claim (wrecked a Benz or something) and they will pull out all the stops trying not having to pay.

Thailand signed the convention regarding the IDP's, so when holding one the insurer would be obliged to pay.

I wouldn't want to risk it over a few hundred Baht (15 US$)...

You may get away with that for a while with the police check's but if you have a accident then you are not covered by the Thai insurance & the police will look more closely at your License.

Its not that difficult to get a Thai driving License so Why take the chance it may cost you dearly.

Regards

Scotsman

I am driving in Thailand since 20 1/2 years with a IDL. I had to 2 bad accidents during this time. But never had a problem with the police or my insurance company.

WCA

No. You need your home license along with an international drivers permit. Americans get them at the AAA...

International drivers permits are a waste of money. It's nothing more than a money making scheme.

They might be, however most if not all insurance can use the not having an IDP as a reason for not paying.

As with above posters, for smaller claims they might not be bothered to kick up a fuss, but bring in a 1 million Baht+ claim (wrecked a Benz or something) and they will pull out all the stops trying not having to pay.

Thailand signed the convention regarding the IDP's, so when holding one the insurer would be obliged to pay.

In Australia you can only drive on an IDP for a limited amount of time before they want you to get a local license, is that the same case here too?

In Australia you can only drive on an IDP for a limited amount of time before they want you to get a local license, is that the same case here too?

Supposedly 90 days.

But I'm not sure it is a law, but again might be a reason for an insurance company to get under from a big claim...

FYI, if your vehicle is registered in a company (the company holding your house for example), make sure the insurance contract is signed by a Thai director in that company, unless you have a work permit!

Any signature made on behalf of a company, while you are in Thailand, is only regarded legal while holding a WP.

There are precedents where the insurance company demanded the WP, not being able to show one (or at least prove you had one at the time of signing the contract) will make the insurance null and void. (company was AIG, and claim was a total loss at 1.35 million).

Police are stopping all foreigners on motorbikes on the corner of North Pattaya Road and Beach Road and asking for licenses. Anyone without one will be sent to the police station to pay the fine.

So they should. They are only doing their duty and they know a lot of foreigners are riding without driving licenses.

Here here, why dont you form a farang society and help rid thailand of these mindless criminals ! :)

PG...why should it be "adequate" ??....If a Thai national drove for 8 years in the UK or US on a Thai DL what do you think would happen ???.

Any farang who considers himself or herself a "resident" of Thailand needs to have a Thai DL. A IDP/Overseas DL combination is only good for 3 months in Thailand

As regards insurance paying out. Thailand differs from most western countries in that in Thailand its the car thats insured not the driver, hence the reason the insurance gets paid out, not because your overseas license is acceptable.

If you ever hit and maim or god forbid kill a Thai national and the BiB do a full investigation and you dont have a Thai DL, you are in the poo poo, as whether your fault or not, you will be charged with driving without a valid Thai DL and you are to blame..

When I start reading posts like this...the word hypocrite springs to mind..as its the same bunch of people complaining about all the crime in Thailand and the BiB do nothing etc etc..

Considering a Thai DL is so easy to get, I can draw only two conclusions to these types of posts:

1. People are just too lazy to get a Thai DL

2. People believe the rules just dont apply to them because they are farang.

Regards

Scotsman

I am driving in Thailand since 20 1/2 years with a IDL. I had to 2 bad accidents during this time. But never had a problem with the police or my insurance company.

WCA

I don't think pattaya girl had a IDL in her post just a UK driving License but many poster's have said that even with a IDL it is only legal for 90 days. When you read your insurance policy it may tell you that you need a Thai driving License my one did and I asked the Insurer at that time if they would cover me if I only had my uk License with IDL they said NO. So I would ask your insurance provider as you may not be covered and you don't want to find out the hard way after a accident.

Rgards

Scotsman

I actually think most Western countries insure the car, not the driver. AFAIK only USA insure the driver and not the car.

Regardless of who is insured, your car is only insured as long as you drive it with a valid license. Check the small print. Most small accidents and bumps they won't check but as someone already said, try wrecking a Merc and you'll see they'll throw the book at you for not having a proper license.

I just don't understand, it is so easy and cheap to get a Thai DL, why not just do it?

Edited by Phil Conners

I actually think most Western countries insure the car, not the driver. AFAIK only USA insure the driver and not the car.

Regardless of who is insured, your car is only insured as long as you drive it with a valid license. Check the small print. Most small accidents and bumps they won't check but as someone already said, try wrecking a Merc and you'll see they'll throw the book at you for not having a proper license.

I just don't understand, it is so easy and cheap to get a Thai DL, why not just do it?

Just watch Insurance companies argue when your CTPL and 1st class are not with the same company, they will argue over who pays for what, whatever way they can they try to reduce their payout.

Phil, where do you get one from, how much is it, is there a test involved even if you have a full UK licence... ?

Thanks.

PG...why should it be "adequate" ??....If a Thai national drove for 8 years in the UK or US on a Thai DL what do you think would happen ???.

Any farang who considers himself or herself a "resident" of Thailand needs to have a Thai DL. A IDP/Overseas DL combination is only good for 3 months in Thailand

As regards insurance paying out. Thailand differs from most western countries in that in Thailand its the car thats insured not the driver, hence the reason the insurance gets paid out, not because your overseas license is acceptable.

If you ever hit and maim or god forbid kill a Thai national and the BiB do a full investigation and you dont have a Thai DL, you are in the poo poo, as whether your fault or not, you will be charged with driving without a valid Thai DL and you are to blame..

When I start reading posts like this...the word hypocrite springs to mind..as its the same bunch of people complaining about all the crime in Thailand and the BiB do nothing etc etc..

Considering a Thai DL is so easy to get, I can draw only two conclusions to these types of posts:

1. People are just too lazy to get a Thai DL

2. People believe the rules just dont apply to them because they are farang.

Okie Dokie, I will get one. :)

Phil, where do you get one from, how much is it, is there a test involved even if you have a full UK licence... ?

Thanks.

You get it at the office behind the Regent School on highway 36 (I think). Just follow the stream of car or ask around, it's easy to find.

I don't remember the exact price, but it's less than 100 baht.

If you bring your valid UK license I think you just need to do a color-blind test to pass, the rest is a formality.

There has been several threads detailing the procedure, and how different people perceive it. Try searching for it.

I don't remember the exact price, but it's less than 100 baht.

It's a bit more now since they do the credit card style ones...

Correct..I just changed my current 5 year "Kohsan Rd" one for the C/C one and that cost THB 200 to change them over....think you are looking at around THB 600 all in for a new license.

Thankyou for the info, I am going to get one soon. I have to go there to TAX the car so might get it then.

I will take a Passport Photograph with me in case I need one. :)

No foto needed. They make a digital one as the computer will embed it on the license...

As long as you have your UK licence you won't have to take a driving test so don't worry about it. You just have to do an eye sight test, to see if you can see red amber and green, an accelerator and brake test - you have to press the accelerator and when the light changes colour press the brake, there is a time limit on this but it's still quite easy, and the last one is a perception test there are two small batons in a box, you have to use a remote control to get them both level. It's not hard at all, just a bit of a pain spending the morning at the test centre - it's always really full and the staff aren't the nicest people in the world.

The official rule is that you are supposed to have an International driving permit in order to get a thai licence without taking the test but at the moment they don't apply that rule at Pattaya.

As long as you have your UK licence you won't have to take a driving test so don't worry about it. You just have to do an eye sight test, to see if you can see red amber and green, an accelerator and brake test - you have to press the accelerator and when the light changes colour press the brake, there is a time limit on this but it's still quite easy, and the last one is a perception test there are two small batons in a box, you have to use a remote control to get them both level. It's not hard at all, just a bit of a pain spending the morning at the test centre - it's always really full and the staff aren't the nicest people in the world.

The official rule is that you are supposed to have an International driving permit in order to get a thai licence without taking the test but at the moment they don't apply that rule at Pattaya.

Thankyou very much Icequeen, your info was very helpfull... :)

The answer to this one is easy take an hour or so one morning bright & early visit the driving licence centre with all the papers you require. Wait a while, either get your licence straight away or do the test, bit simple admittedley but it's Thailands system not our's. Take lunch across the road go back to the centre & collect youir licence or licences which you alpply for.

I have seen some Farangs who cant even pass the simple pre test's for colour, reaction & perception exactly the same in UK if you fail you dont get a licence. Drive with no licence you get fined. we are visitors follow the rules you'll have no problems.

Police in UK only target those who they know have to pay the yob's & gypsie's with no tax insurance or trace to persecute they dont even bother. Speed cameras to boost revenue from those who they no cant get away with it same crap different system. UK your fine money goes to erect more cameras to catch you again 1 mile down the road M25 join M40 get to Gatwick to quick you have lost your licence four times & probably looking at a prison term Thailand 100 Baht & cops have a beer on you. I know who I would rather pay and the cops even smile when you pay them.

Police are stopping all foreigners on motorbikes on the corner of North Pattaya Road and Beach Road and asking for licenses. Anyone without one will be sent to the police station to pay the fine.

For "farangs" who live here long time, it is probably smart to get a license (smarter if the govt. would accept an international license). But for short term tourists who rent motorbikes, it is really a problem.......they will not have a Thai drivers license (and, again, the govt. does not accept international license). It is just about making money and perhaps hurting motorcycle rental places.

Surely whether a farang "considers himself or herself a resident of Thailand" is irrelevant. You're either a resident or not irrespective of what you may think.

Anyone using a visa which requires visa runs every 60 or 90 days would automatically reset the "good for 3 months" criteria and be able to continue to use a IDP/Overseas DL combination.

For "farangs" who live here long time, it is probably smart to get a license (smarter if the govt. would accept an international license).

Actually there is no such thing as an international license, its an international driving permit, and the goverment do accept it...for a period of 3 months. as with all other countries, including your land of the free, you can only drive on a IDP for a limited period, some countries 3 months, other 6 months and you are required to get DL of that particular country.... :)

Surely whether a farang "considers himself or herself a resident of Thailand" is irrelevant. You're either a resident or not irrespective of what you may think.

Anyone using a visa which requires visa runs every 60 or 90 days would automatically reset the "good for 3 months" criteria and be able to continue to use a IDP/Overseas DL combination.

I am sure the insurance companies would not take the same view and in a serious accident want to view the passport to see the visa the driver was using, for the small amount it costs to get a license and the huge implications it can have by having an accident without one, its just not worth the risk, anyone on a non imm visa should have a Thai Drivers License to be sure there wont be any problems.

I am sure the insurance companies would not take the same view and in a serious accident want to view the passport to see the visa the driver was using, for the small amount it costs to get a license and the huge implications it can have by having an accident without one, its just not worth the risk, anyone on a non imm visa should have a Thai Drivers License to be sure there wont be any problems.

The insurance companies would have to go by the law, not some idea of what the requirements are in their view.

If a person stays here on, for example, a tourist visa, that person is not a resident and would not require a Thai driving licence. Their stay officially ends when they leave at the end of 90 days maximum (with extension). If they return after a border run or obtaining a new visa, the 90 day clock starts again.

Most of the people the cops nab on 2nd Road at the roundabout are tourists.

Actually, I was told directly by two police officers in the US that if I tried to drive with my Thai license without an IDL (which I obtained in Bangkok), they would most likely confiscate my car and throw me in jail if I were stopped.

Actually, I was told directly by two police officers in the US that if I tried to drive with my Thai license without an IDL (which I obtained in Bangkok), they would most likely confiscate my car and throw me in jail if I were stopped.

I think there is a difference between an IDP & IDL.