Southern Thai Dialect, Help

ninjat

Hi,

I will be in southern Thailand for a few months, but I have a problem. I can't understand a word of what the locals are saying.

Usually I have no problems getting by in Bangkok, but in southern Thailand they all speak phasaa-dai (southern Thai dialect).

Anyone know of an introduction to phasaa-dai, a word conversion list or something like that?

Thanks,

Ninjat

Hi,

I will be in southern Thailand for a few months, but I have a problem. I can't understand a word of what the locals are saying.

Usually I have no problems getting by in Bangkok, but in southern Thailand they all speak phasaa-dai (southern Thai dialect).

Anyone know of an introduction to phasaa-dai, a word conversion list or something like that?

Thanks,

Ninjat

http://www.learningthai.com/thai_southern.htm

the first colomn is bangkok thai the secong is southern..

I have to be honest with you, even Thais can't understand Southerners. :)

One major thing to remember, is that Southerners will shorten everything, they often have totally different words and the tones are not the same.

You will probably be better off communicating in Bangkok Thai. Everyone will understand you and most people will be able to speak to you in Bangkok Thai (except for elderly people who may not be as conversant).

I also southern :D But difference city diff dialect too :)

I speak south but many words from diff city / province I could not understand. Like Nakorn Sri / Song Kla they speak difference dialect than Surat Thani.

Yup agreed with sbk and oplex to use Bangkok Thai.

• 10 years later...

Hello all... Can anyone in this forum recommend a professional Thai language tutor in one of the three provinces of the deep south (Yala, Pattani, or Narathiwat)? I've studied about 1.5 years of standard Thai at my university in the US, but am hoping to improve my speaking/listening through some language immersion in the southern dialect before I begin my research in Yala.