100,000 Baht Price Range

icequeen

Hi, I am looking to by a motorbike no less than 200cc and no more than 400cc. My budget is about 100,000 but the only new bike I can find for this price is the Honda Phantom, which seems ideal for me as a girl but I would like to compare it to some other bikes first if possible.

Does anyone know of any other models similar to the Phantom made by well known manufacturers. I've seen a couple by the cheap Chinese/Korean manufacturers but I was thinking more like Yamaha or Suzuki.

Kawasaki Boss. Search this forum; owners of both bikes compare it favourably, if not better, to the Phantom. Another thing to consider is the Tiger Boxer 250cc. Brand-new out the door ~72K.

The thread lets you know about Tiger; there's a guy up in Nakhon Sawan (mbox) who Tiger actually goes out to from Bangkok and takes care of....yes they're that dedicated. The Boxer is also much more of a relaxed bike than the choppers.

If you consider used bikes as well, there are tons of Honda Stteds with 400 and 600 cc. I know the engine, it is bullet proof.

I would give preference to a Honda Steed over Yamahas and suzukis. The Kawa Vulkan is outside your budget.

There are lots of CB 400 type of in line four bikes on the road and for sale.

At a shop, beware as often the sticker prices won't incloude a green book and registration!

Chris

The Zonshen125 is also at BigC FOR 55,000B. There is a lady that Ray23 knows up in Udon that has one. for the price it is very well made and a good looking bike (for a small chopper) and the lady was keeping up with Her husbands Phantom 200 easily enough.

Its worth a look for a cheap runabout. Zhonshen are China's number 2 or 3 manufacturer and make parts for Ducati and HD amongst others.

Allan

Hello icequeen,

The budget you set is a bit on the balance, as in Thailand we not have something close to 100k on sale (which you can trust with a blindfold), personally I would completely forget about the mini-choppers (175 Kawa or 200cc Honda) they both suck, at least if you compare them to any two wheels you maybe had the pleasure riding abroad. All the big bike look stuff comes with weight, and so the Honda Phantom comes with the same weight as something as a BMW X-moto 650cc. And with less horses then the Honda CBR-150R you surely not the fast one at the traffic light. Basically every Honda Wave 125 is faster and can ride back and accelerate again without you getting close...

As others have said the Thai build Tiger Boxer 250 RS is a very good alternative, it is solid, it is well build, it has proven it self, it has a ver dedicated factory, and the technology is simple, which has as mean advantage that the service technology is not different then 90% of the motorcycles on the road in Thailand.

Some critics would say that the SOHC valve technology used in the Tiger Boxer 250 RS is out of date, but if this is true we surely see a retro technology trend in the development of smaller engines. Also I can promise the return of the two-stroke.... as early as mid 2010. This guys will not burn smoky oil but pure to near pure alcohol and to research the two-stroke is the only engine configuration to deliver enough power to impress.... So history repeats itself...

Hello icequeen,

The budget you set is a bit on the balance, as in Thailand we not have something close to 100k on sale (which you can trust with a blindfold), personally I would completely forget about the mini-choppers (175 Kawa or 200cc Honda) they both suck, at least if you compare them to any two wheels you maybe had the pleasure riding abroad. All the big bike look stuff comes with weight, and so the Honda Phantom comes with the same weight as something as a BMW X-moto 650cc. And with less horses then the Honda CBR-150R you surely not the fast one at the traffic light. Basically every Honda Wave 125 is faster and can ride back and accelerate again without you getting close...

As others have said the Thai build Tiger Boxer 250 RS is a very good alternative, it is solid, it is well build, it has proven it self, it has a ver dedicated factory, and the technology is simple, which has as mean advantage that the service technology is not different then 90% of the motorcycles on the road in Thailand.

Some critics would say that the SOHC valve technology used in the Tiger Boxer 250 RS is out of date, but if this is true we surely see a retro technology trend in the development of smaller engines. Also I can promise the return of the two-stroke.... as early as mid 2010. This guys will not burn smoky oil but pure to near pure alcohol and to research the two-stroke is the only engine configuration to deliver enough power to impress.... So history repeats itself...

I am wondering about the Tiger Motorcycles.

Are they still manufactured and sold in Thailand.

Would like to know more, where to buy, prices, etc.

Anyone please?

Hi, I am looking to by a motorbike no less than 200cc and no more than 400cc. My budget is about 100,000 but the only new bike I can find for this price is the Honda Phantom, which seems ideal for me as a girl

Don't bother trying to impress our resident bike snobs. Phantom will just fine for you. Comfortable, reliable, light enough for you, nimble enough in traffic (see all those Phantoms in BKK?), can be repaired quickly at any Honda shop. The last is a BIG BIG plus. If you got a Steed, you'd be at the mercy of the chopper repair shops and be cheated relentlessly, which is why I finally got rid my big old Honda for--a Phantom! Why make life more difficult? Enough hassles & scams here as it is. You can certainly take long road trips on a Phantom, as some of our members will attest. Tell you the truth, though, I don't know why anyone wants to ride a bike on a long road trip in Thailand because of the heat, traffic (millions of slow-moving trucks), undependable road maintenance, Thai drivers, etc. And Thailand lacks the spectacular scenery of, say, the USA or Australia; it's really boring by comparison. Not really worth it IMO.

Hello icequeen,

I am wondering about the Tiger Motorcycles.

Are they still manufactured and sold in Thailand.

Would like to know more, where to buy, prices, etc.

Anyone please?

Hi there,

I got a Tiger Boxer 250 rs.It is a great bike, easy to drive easy on the petrol, wenough power delivered, and "slim" in town. Here is a website of tiger http://www.tigermotor.co.th/

they are manufactured and sold in thailand, price of the Boxer 250 rs is 72000 thb and other prices you find on the website too. They have a showroom in Bkkthe address should be somewhere mentioned in the tiger boxer thread

and factory is here : http://www.tigermotor.co.th/index.php?opti...6&Itemid=69

If you want to have Khun Pariya (manager who speaks english and replies to email swiftly) help you here is his email address: whoispariya (at) yahoo.co.uk he can also arrange to meet you and let you test drive the bike.

I have my boxer since april and did so far 5000 km and it runs without headaches , great buy .

Hope that helps,

mbox

Tell you the truth, though, I don't know why anyone wants to ride a bike on a long road trip in Thailand because of the heat, traffic (millions of slow-moving trucks), undependable road maintenance, Thai drivers, etc. And Thailand lacks the spectacular scenery of, say, the USA or Australia; it's really boring by comparison. Not really worth it IMO.

What in the world?! Thailand is an internationally renowned destination for motorcycle touring. Get out of the big cities and the Land of Smiles is blessed with stunning roads, little traffic and spectacular scenery.

Happy Trails!

Tony

0816RideNinjas.jpg

I concur with Tony...I suppose those who's existence is centered around Nana Plaza would have a skewed view of what real riding in Thailand consists of.

And Tony, were y'all parked on a slant or was the camera off centre (I'm assuming latter)?

Hi, I am looking to by a motorbike no less than 200cc and no more than 400cc. My budget is about 100,000 but the only new bike I can find for this price is the Honda Phantom, which seems ideal for me as a girl

Don't bother trying to impress our resident bike snobs. Phantom will just fine for you. Comfortable, reliable, light enough for you, nimble enough in traffic (see all those Phantoms in BKK?), can be repaired quickly at any Honda shop. The last is a BIG BIG plus. If you got a Steed, you'd be at the mercy of the chopper repair shops and be cheated relentlessly, which is why I finally got rid my big old Honda for--a Phantom! Why make life more difficult? Enough hassles & scams here as it is. You can certainly take long road trips on a Phantom, as some of our members will attest. Tell you the truth, though, I don't know why anyone wants to ride a bike on a long road trip in Thailand because of the heat, traffic (millions of slow-moving trucks), undependable road maintenance, Thai drivers, etc. And Thailand lacks the spectacular scenery of, say, the USA or Australia; it's really boring by comparison. Not really worth it IMO.

Some good points until you got to "Tell you the truth, though, ...".

You need to try the North and in particular the Mae Hong Song loop, I've driven the east cost of Australia and the winding roads around Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai are vastly superior for biking in terms of scenery and variety, not to mention the lack of speeding cameras etc. If you like straight roads with red dirt or flat fields for scenery (for thousands and thousands of kms) then I agree you might be better off in Aus.

I'd much rather be behind a slow moving truck on a bike because one way or another I'll be past it way faster than if I was in a car, especially in the twisties...

It this the thread where the OP clearly wants a CHOPPER? That means Phantom or Boss, not Boxer or CBR or Ducati or....

PB, you are right , although it was not mentioned in the initial post of the Op. However we are just trying to "offer" the OP to look into other choices than a chopper too, specially since there aren't much choices of bikes in the price range of 100k

mbox

Tell you the truth, though, I don't know why anyone wants to ride a bike on a long road trip in Thailand because of the heat, traffic (millions of slow-moving trucks), undependable road maintenance, Thai drivers, etc. And Thailand lacks the spectacular scenery of, say, the USA or Australia; it's really boring by comparison. Not really worth it IMO.

What in the world?! Thailand is an internationally renowned destination for motorcycle touring. Get out of the big cities and the Land of Smiles is blessed with stunning roads, little traffic and spectacular scenery.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Sorry, been up there a number of times and the scenery doesn't compare in the least w/, say, the Smoky Mts (love Nantahala), Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, or California--to name a few in the USA. And once you've seen it, you've seen it all. True, in your vid there wasn't much traffic up there, but you could easily turn a corner and crash into a bus stopped in the middle of the road or hit unmarked roadwork or a nice big patch of sand or gravel. (I know, I know, you'd nimbly avoid all such. :)) Then there are the Thai drivers. Friend of mine not long ago had a bike accident in the middle of an otherwise totally deserted highway when a Thai on a bike just came over to her side of the road and crashed right into her.

Hence I don't find riding for the sport of it particularly compelling here. Mainly I just want to be transported to where I need to go locally, like to eat or shop. It's more fun to ride a bike than drive a car for that purpose and a lot cheaper too.

Each to his own, however. If you're into a sport, then you're really into it, eh? And a Phantom would indeed be the anathema to a sport rider. But our forum isn't only for sport riders. The OP wants a cheap cruiser-style bike.

Thanks for all your replies guys, it looks like I'm going to go with the Phantom, my friend has one and I've ridden that a few times and liked it.

I would probably have a lot more choice if I went for a sports bike but they're just not my style (each to his/her own and all that).

I just wish they would change the colours schemes, at the moment they are only available in black or red but you can't have everything I guess.

I've been to the honda garage today and was told that early next year they will be launching a phantom with a bigger engine, how much bigger I don't know but 400cc would be nice.

Well the biggest in cc size chopper within your price range is actually the Platinum 250 DJ http://www.platinummotorsale.com/shopper2.html

i need to point out that i have not read much good of the Platinum Brand really.

Same goes about JRD they have the JRD Tornado which is a chopper too(i think its 175cc). not sure over the price on the jrd tornado - sure a low price though, but quality seems to be matching with the Platinum Brand. Jrd is a Malaysian Brand and Platinum is a thai assembled bike with Chinese components...this at least i read it before...

hope that helps,

mbox

Having had a 2 stroke Phantom and currently a Steed, I'd say that if you want new, go for a Phantom (only 4 stroke now), but you can get a green-booked (i.e. legal) 2nd hand Steed for 100k, no problem. A 2nd hand Yamaha Virago would be even less.

I found the Phantom ideal in the Bangkok traffic, and as it was water-cooled, it never overheated in town.

The Steed would be useless in Bangkok as a commuter bike. It is too wide and would be dead weight between your legs. But great fun in the country!

So it depends where you live and whether you want new or second hand. If you go for 2nd hand, establish a good relationship with your local mechanic, as he will be the one you deal with most of the time. It's worked for me, and I don't get fleeced at all with my "chopper".

And don't forget that a Phantom or Boss is ideal for small folks, whereas a Steed or Virago are heavier bikes, so you need to be a bit bigger/stronger to get the most satisfaction from them.

Whatever you get in the end, don't forget to get a Thai bike license...

Ride safe...