I Need Send Wifes Family Money Quickly

dmax

my wife hasnt spoken to her family for 4 weeks now,,she rang yestrday only to be told that her father lost or borrowed someone 15000 baht (silly old fkr )!!!!!!! and is left the family now with no money,,our 2 sons are over there and we need get money to them today very quickly as the eldest sister who takes care of them has said they have no money for food or school etc,,,

i know i can send it via western union to siam commercial bank in kra nuen town khon kaen ,,but heres the problem....i cannot spell my wifes sisters name,,my wife has written it for me in english but i dont think she has spelt it properly,,her name from wot i can make out is -praguy nawasrima ? if i go into my bank and give this name but the thai bank on the other side does not understand it will they with hold the money because its not the name of her sister on her id card ? im trying to explain and its difficult so please exuse if i havent made it clear.....

or is it a case of just getting a number from my bank in uk,,,sending the money to siam commercial ,,getting my wife to call her sister and give her sister the number and a secret password....

trying to deal with her family is not easy,,they dont even know how to open an account as i tried to explain to my wife to tel them to do this....putting my bloody head away all this crap..

Something smells :)

my wife hasnt spoken to her family for 4 weeks now,,she rang yestrday only to be told that her father lost or borrowed someone 15000 baht (silly old fkr )!!!!!!! and is left the family now with no money,,our 2 sons are over there and we need get money to them today very quickly as the eldest sister who takes care of them has said they have no money for food or school etc,,,

i know i can send it via western union to siam commercial bank in kra nuen town khon kaen ,,but heres the problem....i cannot spell my wifes sisters name,,my wife has written it for me in english but i dont think she has spelt it properly,,her name from wot i can make out is -praguy nawasrima ? if i go into my bank and give this name but the thai bank on the other side does not understand it will they with hold the money because its not the name of her sister on her id card ? im trying to explain and its difficult so please exuse if i havent made it clear.....

or is it a case of just getting a number from my bank in uk,,,sending the money to siam commercial ,,getting my wife to call her sister and give her sister the number and a secret password....

trying to deal with her family is not easy,,they dont even know how to open an account as i tried to explain to my wife to tel them to do this....putting my bloody head away all this crap..

Your wifes sister needs to email her details from the bank

iban number from bank

I think that should be SWIFT number. IBAN numbers are for European banks.

Yes it is SWIFT. All they have to do is walk into a bank and say 'we need to recieve some money form abroad' - The bank will then give them a slip of paper with all the information they need - bank name, bank address, bank tel number, a/c name, a/c number, swift code.

They can then telephone the details and the op can send the money. It will take about 5 working days to arrive.

As for the benifery name - as long as you have spelt it roughly correct in english it should not matter a bit. The bank won't hold it because you transliteration is slightly wrong..

Edited by mrnosey

Also confirm that IBANs are only for European use.

However, this still misses the point as the OP wants to do it today.

I also think it stinks and Thais can ALWAYS find ways to borrow the money if necessary.

However, should the OP really want to get funds there please PM me and once cash has been paid into my UK bank I will arrange for my GF to transfer, via ATM, to the beneficiary. I will need bank name and account - the name is only of use for checking against that name that comes up when confirming the payment.

iban number from bank

You are correct... i confused the poor girl in the Thai bank last week as i kept asking for the Iban number...

Back to OP that is all you need as last week I transferred money from my mates Barclays account to my Thai bank it took 4 days but that was all the info needed.

Are people suggesting this is a scam :)

I have a little sympathy as i have an English mate here on holiday and he lost his atm card last week and had no credit cards or travellers cheques..luckily i was here to help out and thats why we transferred the money but if i wasn't here my mate would have been at the embassy (not sure what they would have done)

I wouldn't use the term "scam", but it does suggest you might be being set up for a long-term pattern of similar emergencies. Do you think if you send the money quickly as requested that dad-in-law will be MORE or LESS likely to lose money in the future? Or do you think he will learn his lesson this time? If this is the first installment then be very careful how you handle this.

You need to set up a fool-proof system that ensures that money is always available for your kids welfare and nothing else. As others have stated in other threads, the Thais managed to get by ok with farangs to help out before - but give (some of) them a farang to milk and then they will really go to town.

Edited by chiangmaibruce

Western Union would be your quickest method as the money would be available virtually immediately and there are agents all over Thailand. If you check their website - westernunion with a dot com - you can find the nearest agent to you and in Thailand or, as I use to, send from their website with a credit card (classed as a cash transaction though so you will pay interest straight away and if you don't pay off all your bills it will remain there as the last thing to pay off).

Your sister in Law will need the MTCN number (transaction number given by WU), your name, city and country sent from and the amount along with showing her ID card and they will just hand the cash over.

Something smells :)

wot smells,,,please enlighten me ,,,if u havent anything usefull to say then maybe u should take a hike

Your sons are with your sister in law and your wife hasn't contacted them in a month? Sound really close.

we got our home phone switched off ok,,she doesnt want to call them using her mobile....when she had cheap call rates she was calling everyday,,,also they are her young twin boys but i take them as my own,,and yes sometimes she doesnt seem that close with her family, wots ur problem ? wnkr

Your sister in Law will need the MTCN number (transaction number given by WU), your name, city and country sent from and the amount along with showing her ID card and they will just hand the cash over.

You can solve any name descrepancy problems with a secret question and answer. There is a place on the WU form for this.

If it was me I wouldn't be rushing any money over. I really doubt the story about the father loaning out 15,000 baht leaving no cash left for food etc. That's just plain bs. You can just add this to a list of bs stories families use to get money from soft farangs.

What you need to do is organise a monthly (modest) budget and make it clear that is all you will send.

Edited by tropo

iban number from bank

Yes it is SWIFT. All they have to do is walk into a bank and say 'we need to recieve some money form abroad' - The bank will then give them a slip of paper with all the information they need - bank name, bank address, bank tel number, a/c name, a/c number, swift code.

They can then telephone the details and the op can send the money. It will take about 5 working days to arrive.

As for the benifery name - as long as you have spelt it roughly correct in english it should not matter a bit. The bank won't hold it because you transliteration is slightly wrong..

thanks for your helpfull reply unlike some other goons here ..........they need money soon,,,,,,,,i dont know how in hel_l they managed before,,i have tried to explain to her to tell her sister to go to a local money lender but its like talking to a fkng brick wall, i also know for a fact that my wife left her father a 3 baht gold necklace last yr when we were over,,i didnt buy her it btw.... im over again in october and i will personally take her sister to the bank to open an account,,,im not worrying anymore today about it ,,its her wnkr of a fathers fault but its the kids im worried about more than the rest of the family..

The quickest way is over the internet. My mum sent me some cash a few months back and it was here in Switzerland within a couple of hours. Just be careful - the interests rates are quite high.

I have also sent money to Thailand via western Union - all went according to plan. Except the plonker who was picking it up didn't realise it was sent in my married name rather than my maiden name!! When he got off the beer - he remembered my name!!

i don't think it matters much if the name on the WU is different than the one on the ID card.

in english it's always spelled wrong.

WU will pay as long as the name sounds almost the same and she has the transaction number.

my wifes never asked me for any large sums of money to send to her family,,she knows wot her dads like and im not so stupid either,,,most i sent her before was 10,000 baht about 3 times a yr,,,i paid her family 100,000 dowry near 2 yrs ago,,this was used to buy land for rice apparently only for the family to eat but that could be bs too,,,i know one thing for sure,,my wife has been annoyed yesterday and today about it so i believe her 100 %....i told her send 15000 but she told me 7,000 about 150 uk pounds is enough for them so she isnt trying to take me on,,,i dont know wot goes on over there with money etc i let my wife take care of them with her money...

You seem to have the money bit under your terms dmax, follow the posts of sending money quickly and then put your crash hat on, sending money in an emergency and sinsot in the same thread will send a whole pack of posters into a froth of delirium and angst.

Hope the kids are OK

Good Luck

Well I thought that Western Union are pretty strict when it comes to names and the way they are spelt......

Someone sent me some money a while back, and just because I put my Middle name on the form, she refused to pay out, I had to ask the sender to add my middle name too. Even though the first name and surname were the same as on my Passport - its ridiculous what a Palarva......

I am still waiting for a PM and the cash into my account.

It doesn't get quicker than my GF doing a transfer via the ATM.

Send me £150 and I will see that 8,000 Baht gets paid over.

Edited by Chaimai

would you send money to a stranger on an internet forum?

So that nice Nigerian man that sent me an e-mail earlier today, wasn't being honest?

get someone who is there to sms you the name from the ID card the person collecting the money will show. Use western union as it's available in minutes. They need your name and the amount plus the ID card with the same name on it. If they can't sms get them to take a photo close up of the card and mms that to you. You will get an sms telling you you've got a photo message and to go to your phone companies website to view it.

Banks are a rip off, mine charged me 9 quid...which isn't too much, but then the beneficiaries bank charged her 700 baht as well! and it took 5 days!

western union charge £4.90 for anything under £50 and i think it doubles for up to £100 not sure about the next step up in charges but I've always found them reliable and if they've got no food then £50 should get them by till something else can be arranged?

Hope you get it sorted out

The offer was there - not the first favour I have done for TV members.

Do you really think a tv member with 3,000 posts would scam someone for £150 ?

To answer your question - no I would not send money to a stranger on Thai Visa, unless :-

1. I was desperate and wanted to get the funds there today and,

2. It was no more than £150.

Can't be that urgent. The funds would have been there by now, complete with sms from the bank confirming that the funds had been credited.