Driving From Thailand To Cambodia

hi, i tried to do it 12 months ago and the transport office ( behind regents school) said not possible, they said Thailand had no formal agreements with Cambodia with regards vehicles crossing there borders, we got a passport for the jeep to go to Laos, no problem at all. other posters in the past have said you can do it, but like i said they told me no.

Edited by micky44

We have a Thai employee that goes to Cambodia often. He doesn't have problems.

I was told that you can only cross the border if the car has been fully paid. i.e the tittle has been transfered from the finance company to you.

well that may be true, but we had paid cash for our car and they still said no, the car was registered in my Thai wifes name, they said that Thailand and Cambodia have no reciprocal agreement with Cambodia re-temporary import export

well that may be true, but we had paid cash for our car and they still said no, the car was registered in my Thai wifes name, they said that Thailand and Cambodia have no reciprocal agreement with Cambodia re-temporary import export

Well things might have changed, but I took mine in at Arunyaprathet about five years ago, I had planned to drive to Angkor Wat. As it turned out I never got there as I was strongly advised against the drive by the Cambodian army. There had been a lot of rain in the previous weeks, and land mines had "floated" onto the main road.

Sounds like a typical Thai answer......Always say no when you don't really know :)

hi there

when i last done my visa run to poi pet on 10/5/09 they was letting thai cars and trucks go through the border.

we took our car through to lao many times,we had to get a international permit for the car at nong khai ,and in order for them to issue this permit

we had to show the log book showing that the car was in my wifes name and also the car was insured ,but when we got through to lao we had to buy seperate insurance also.

I think that you can take a Thai car into Cambodia.

I see many of them in Koh Kong.

They give you a registation plate at the boarder (black on red) which you have to display on the windscreen.

It is just rather expensive at 500 Thai Baht per day.

Officially it is much cheaper than that at 100 Thai baht per day (or maybe free.)

Yes you can. To the person who was told 'no', whoever gave you that information was misinformed or as suggested by another poster, completely uninformed.

It's nothing about reciprocal agreements, there already is an ASEAN agreement that allows vehicles registered in any member nation to be freely driven into any other member nation. The only catch is you have to own the vehicle (no rentals) and also Vietnam doesn't always follow the agreement they signed. But that's Vietnam.

As for the OP, you will need registration/proof of ownership and proof of insurance. All that said, rather than asking if you can take the car into Cambodia or not, you probably should be asking do you really want to take the car into Cambodia? The driving habits are far worse than in Thailand, road conditions, though much improved can still be spotty, and your Thai license plates are probably going to bring you more than enough mostly unwanted attention. There's a long-term parking lot at Rongklua Market (100 THB per day I think) and most people simply park their cars there and then take a private taxi onward to wherever from Poipet.

I think that you can take a Thai car into Cambodia.

I see many of them in Koh Kong.

They give you a registation plate at the boarder (black on red) which you have to display on the windscreen.

It is just rather expensive at 500 Thai Baht per day.

Officially it is much cheaper than that at 100 Thai baht per day (or maybe free.)

This is all as of June 2008 until the last entry i made was april 2009

Its easy as pie. Make sure u have ur thai blue book with ya. If u enter via Trat-Ko Kong u will be charged 100 baht/day ( they ask u how long ur going to stay so i have told them as few as 3 days) Legally ur allowed to have ur thai license car out of the country 1 month max but they dont care. Note your thai insurance is not valid in Cambodia.

I never displayed the plasitc plate they give ya. I have exited and enter camboida via Pailin. Poi Pet and Osmach in the north of Cambodia. ONLY Koh Kong charges you to enter.

1st time i had my car over there 8 months and never any problmes except passing cars. I was told if u feel nervous about driving with a Thai plate just take it off ( lots of people drive with out plates) but i didn't care

I also took my car into Laos via Nong Khai

You can read about my trip here, http://www.khmer440.com/chat_forum/viewtopic.php?t=11722

Edited by phuketrichard